[Bazaar/Stallion] Last Minute Preparations (solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[Bazaar/Stallion] Last Minute Preparations (solo)

Postby Acanthus on June 8th, 2011, 1:31 am

OOCI'm trying out my newfound knowledge of BBC code. Sorry if I went overboard, it's just so much fun!

Season of Spring, Day 90, 511 AV

Acanthus Grimsley walked briskly through the Great Bazaar, his pockets jingling with mizas, his backpack on his back and ready to hold whatever he purchased. He had little time to meet his new acquaintances back at the Rearing Stallion, so there was no time for browsing. He knew exactly what he wanted and he wasted no time in purchasing it. At a clothing stall he bought a pair of riding boots for a gold-rimmed miza, a tall, pointy, broad-brimmed hat (purple, to match his robes) for another eight gold mizas, an extra cotton tunic for five silver mizas, and an extra pair of cotton breeches for one silver miza. From another stall he purchased sealing wax for a gold miza, an animal groomer's kit for ten gold mizas, an ink vial for another gold miza, an extra whetstone for two copper-rimmed mizas, and a small shovel for two gold mizas. At another stall he bought a whistle for eight silver-rimmed mizas, a water additive for three gold mizas, a rucksack for a gold miza, a hooded lantern for seven gold mizas, two pints of oil for two silver mizas, a belt pouch for a gold miza (which he immediately transferred his wealth to for safe keeping), and a one-person tent for two gold mizas. At a weapons stall and bought a scabbard for his longsword for four gold mizas. He made one last stop at another stall and purchased two quills for one silver miza and five sheets of paper for two gold mizas, which he folden neatly into fourths and stowed in his pocket.

Weighed down with his purchases, Acanthus made his way back to the Rearing Stallion and up to his room. He drew forth the small key he'd been given when he had checked in and inserted it into the lock and turned it. There was a satisfying click and he withdrew the key, stowed it in one of his pockets, and opened the door, going quickly inside and shutting the door and locking it hastily. He had always kept his door locked and had even put a note outside the door forbidding anyone, even the maids who cleaned the rooms, from entering. If they became aware of the state he was leaving one of their rooms in, he'd be thrown out at once. The walls and furniture were covered with burn marks from fire reimancy mishaps, and he often practiced water reimancy as well, which had soaked the wooden walls and floor, leaving them rotting and stinking of mildew. Summoning circles were etched into the floor all over the place, and the area around them was stained with blood from the wounds the young wizard opened on his hand with his dagger to activate the circles. A few stray feathers and tufts of fur were even strewn about; Acanthus often morphed into mammals and birds. Not to mention the damage he'd done while practicing with his longsword. There were notches and slash marks all over the walls and the tops of his bedposts were even chopped off and lying on the floor. Needless to say, he planned to be miles away from Syliras before the state of his room was discovered and he had to pay for the property damage. He wouldn't check out of the inn when he left Syliras so the Rearing Stallion's staff wouldn't unlock his room and discover the mess until they figured out he'd given them the slip, and by then it would be too late. He had it all worked out.

Now he returned to his room one last time for some last minute preparations. He threw his robes on his bed and kicked off his boots. He just wanted to sink into his soft bed and sleep away the day, but he had work to do. First he packed all of his possessions into his backpack, rucksack, and saddlebags. Then he sat down with his ink vial, a quill, and a piece of paper, and this is what he wrote:

Dear Mother, Father, Garrick, Brook, and Danny,

I regret to inform What I mean is I'm sorry...for
everything. I'm sorry for leaving the fields without
telling you. I'm sorry for not contacting you sooner.
But I would be a liar if I said I was sorry for coming to Syliras. I've seen and done extraordinary things since
I've been here. I've become I met an old man. His name is was Augustus Merriweather. He was just passing
through town but he was all dressed up in robes and a
tall pointy hat. He looked magical wise. I sought his instruction. At first he was just my mentor. He taught me...alright, fine, he taught me magic. I'm sorry, mother and father, I know you always hated my interest in
magic, but you know I've always wanted to learn, and maybe if you hadn't been so stubborn I wouldn't have
run away
that's why I left. But that's not important. My master became my friend as well. And then he died. I
can't stay in Syliras. There are too many memories here. So I'll be leaving with a group of friends men I met. If
you hasten to write a reply you can send the courier back
to deliver it to me before I leave.

Sincerely Love,
Acanthus

He folded the letter up, placed it in an envelope, and sealed it with wax. Then, with a great sigh, he got to his feet. He undressed, putting on the new tunic and breeches he'd bought at the bazaar and stuffing his old clothes into his backpack. Then he belted his longsword to his left hip, donned his robes and hat, put the envelope in one of the pockets of his robe, pulled on his riding boots, strapped on his backpack and rucksack, bundled up his saddle, bridle, and saddlebags, put them under his left arm, opened the door, took his staff in his right hand, and walked out of his room for the final time, locking it firmly behind him. Making his way awkwardly downstairs, staggering beneath the weight of his bulk, he passed the innkeeper on the way to the door.

"Checking out, Acanthus?" the man asked. "Oh, no, you can't get rid of me that easily," lied the wizard with a forced laugh. "Just going out for a ride. I might be staying at a friend's house for a few nights, though, but I'll definitely be here for a while yet."

Outside Acanthus made his way to the stables where his old gray pony, the aptly-named Grayson, was waiting. Setting the saddle, saddlebags, and bridle down with a sigh of relief, he greeted his old friend with a pat on the side and a juicy, red apple.

"Hey there, Grayson," he said, "I bought you something today. A grooming kit! We'll have that old coat shiny and silver in no time, just as soon as I have a chance to groom you," he said with a smile. The pony whinnied softly in reply.

Acanthus proceeded to strap Grayson's saddle, saddlebags, and bridle on. Then he mounted him and rode him from the stables and through Syliras until he found a courier who he paid to deliver the letter to his family at the Syliran Fields. After that was done he rode back to the Rearing Stallion, dismounted, unstrapped the bridle from Grayson and stowed it in one of the saddlebags, changed into his ordinary boots and stuffed the riding boots in the same saddlebag, and sat down to wait for Aldrich, Hunwald, and Croatoan.
Acanthus
Wizard

Words: 11928
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2011, 9:52 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet