Ghosts and Gnosis

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Ghosts and Gnosis

Postby Eryss Waldu on June 30th, 2011, 9:47 pm

Alright I was reading several of the pages and I have a question concerning ghosts. Now we all know that Ghosts are a specific type of undead that choose, for whatever reason, not to reincarnate and that as such they exist in something of a miserable condition.

On Mizahar Ghosts are not an altogether uncommon sight and it's said that they can be seen in many cities where they may even converse with the townsfolk. In some cities Ghosts are even accorded rights like living people as long as they adhere to the local laws while in others they aren't tolerate or treated nearly as nicely.

What I want to know is whether or not Ghosts can recieve Gnosis from the Gods. That might seem like a no brainer considering that Uldr grants his Gnosis to undead to create Chained Ones, etc but none of those creatures are ghosts and what about the other Gods?

If Ghosts are capable of reaching any height of heroism, or any depth of infamy, then would it be possible for a Ghost to be granted the Gnosis of any God? Krysus, Leth, Nysel, etc.

After all they are Gods so I'd think they could give their blessings or curses to whomever they wanted but I wanted to check and make sure.
Eryss Waldu
Villain

Words: 240296
Joined roleplay: June 9th, 2011, 11:20 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Ghosts and Gnosis

Postby Jokor on June 30th, 2011, 11:12 pm

Well, the lore states that while they might be able to use gnosis. Most gods don't give any gnosis to ghosts, for the simple fact that ghosts are supposed to pass on and be reincarnated. So they aren't really reliable candidates for a gnosis. No use letting somebody share in your power when they can just dissapear any time.
Jokor
Streetrat

Words: 213913
Joined roleplay: September 27th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Ghosts and Gnosis

Postby Rage on June 30th, 2011, 11:38 pm

This was asked by another ghost player before and as Jokor has stated, and as written in the lore, they can't receive any Gnosis. I don't think even possessing a host who has a Gnosis mark will allow the ghost to use said mark, as I think gods mark an individual's soul, not just their mortal bodies. I may be mistaken though. Input from a Founder would be appreciated to clear the matter up.

Notice: I will not be available for modding in the foreseeable future until I've cleared up my backlog of Miz stuff (PC and ST-wise). Hopefully, it's a temporary thing, but we'll see. I will still grade your threads, however.
Rage
Devourer of Souls

Words: 109059
Joined roleplay: August 5th, 2010, 4:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Ghosts and Gnosis

Postby Eryss Waldu on June 30th, 2011, 11:57 pm

Thanks for the answers. I'm not a Ghost player myself but I've been reading a lot of the lore and the question just stuck out in my head. I must have missed where it talked about Ghosts being unable to recieve Gnosis marks which is my bad.

Now that you mention it though I am curious about the whole possession thing and whether a Ghost could use those marks or not though. lol
Eryss Waldu
Villain

Words: 240296
Joined roleplay: June 9th, 2011, 11:20 pm
Character sheet

Ghosts and Gnosis

Postby Reaver on July 1st, 2011, 4:45 am

A side topic to think about. A Nuit who changes bodies would keep any gnosis marks he had, as they would re-appear with some time. However, he would lose the ones his host had. ((Though the physical mark may not vanish right away.))

Nuit aren't ghosts, but if they can't take gnosis marks, I doubt a ghost could. This doesn't answer your main question, but I suspect they couldn't use the gnosis of a host they took over.
Reaver's CS (Voice: #3355FF Thoughts: #000AAA Hidden: #3D2828)
Reaver
Student Teacher

Words: 212925
Joined roleplay: February 1st, 2011, 1:51 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Ghosts and Gnosis

Postby Liam on July 22nd, 2011, 3:56 pm

Being a ghost player myself, I wondered this as well. There are some things in the lore that are misleading and sometimes contradictory regarding this, and I haven't found anywhere that specifically says a ghost cannot receive a gnosis mark. That being said, I brought the question to the founders and was told that no, ghosts cannot receive gnosis. So yeah.. it's confirmed, they cant.
Liam
Player

Words: 74206
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2011, 5:07 pm
Race: Ghost
Character sheet

Ghosts and Gnosis

Postby Cilaes on August 1st, 2011, 4:54 am

I believe Myri has a group of gnosis marked ghosts, though I could be wrong.

Edit: i guess the Shadow Guard aren't actual/normal ghosts.
Common, Kontinese, Pavi
Thought

School is a busy, busy place. I will be posting as regularly as I can, but to stay balanced only expect posts on Monday and Friday (maybe the weekend). Sorry for the delays!
Cilaes
Melancholic Medic

Words: 44297
Joined roleplay: April 24th, 2011, 6:38 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet