lessons in medicine from a madman(leviathan)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Tuic on July 14th, 2011, 3:18 pm

6th of summer 511

Tuic entered the doctors office for work today, not really knowing what the heck the crazy doctor was going to let him do today, a few day's ago he had to grab a person for some “research” still had some bruises from that fight. He hoped he didn't need to do some heavy lifting or something else that required a lot of heavy lifting today.
“Doctor pertricious, I'm here again for work.” He said in a firm and loud voice as he didn't see him standing in the room his gaze fell on the door to the basement. Should he go and see if he was downstairs? After a few moments of indecision he walked over to the door and banged a few times on the door.
“Doctor pertricious? You downstairs?”
Tuic
Player

Words: 13679
Joined roleplay: July 8th, 2011, 1:46 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Leviathan on July 14th, 2011, 11:44 pm

It was so very eerie, even to a man as courageous as tuic, to be in the Doctors Clinic. The darkness of the building was so strong it felt almost magical, since it was a cloudy daylight just outside that front uneven door. The sheet on the Surgical Table, unlike usual, had something underneath it, the curvaceous shape of a human body, female at that, and she wasn't moving. Probably dead, a common occurrence in the Doctor's Madhouse of a Clinic.

The room felt still, almost as if it settled in a different dimension where time nor motion existed, but rather existence was no more than a series of pictures wherever you looked. Nothing, except Tuic, made any movement or sound in that dark silent eerie room. That is until a good moment after he beat on the Basement door and called for the doctor, then he heard the distinct sounds of screaming outside the clinic. It was right outside. Tuic hadn't even the time to barge out the door before the Doctor burst in, kicking the door open violently as he half-carried a man on his shoulder, who was obviously bleeding from his stomach and pale from pain and loss of blood. Doctor Petricious guided the man over to the surgical table and again kicked out, knocking the sheet-wrapped corpse-woman from the table to the floor with a disrespectful *thump!*

Petricious helped the man onto the table and hastily moved around the room, gathering various tools to fix this man up, which would require fast and skilled work. This obviously wasn't the time for Tuic to learn on the job.

But that's exactly what Doctor Petricious expected.

He stormed over to Tuic and handed him a scalpel and a small pair of what looked like fancy pliers. Tuic was going to dig into the man's stomach. "Good day Mr. Tuic. I'm glad you could make it. I apologize for that errand I made you run, I know it's not what you expected, but it is highly necessary I assure. Today, it's more like you signed up for. Medical healing."

"Let's be quick. He has an arrow in his abdomen and like the sailor-reject he is, thought it was better to snap off the arrow rather than pull it out whole, which also would have been bad because of the arrow's shape. I'm going to sedate him with a strong herbal concoction, then you are going to pull this arrow from his wound and we'll dress him up. Let's move quickly."
Petricious seemed in a good mood, despite being pushy and eager to get this done. The man was probably dying. As promised, the doctor retrieved a bottle remedy of unknown substance that, when consumed, knocked the man out in a matter of minutes. Cold, almost lifeless, and his blood even flowed slower, partial coagulation.

"So, get in there." There was no coaching, it was a trial and error, learn as you go process. Doctor Petricious, of course, wasn't really worried about casualties. He dealt in casualties daily.
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Words: 281278
Joined roleplay: July 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm
Race: Staff account
Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Tuic on July 15th, 2011, 10:45 am

Whatever tuic had expected the doctor to be doing when he knocked on the door, barging in through the front door with a palefaced man hanging on his shoulder, before tuic even had the chance of asking what was going on the doctor pulled the man inside and kickedthe corpse disrespectfully to the ground. Forcing tuic to quickly jump back or he would have gotten the thing on his toes. Before helping the bleeding man on the table and began flitting around the room, pulling out various tools that Tuic guessed he would need to fix the man and as far as he could see he was probably required too help him a little bit during the operation. Well that was what Tuic thought until the doctor shoved a scalpel and a pair of tweezers in his hands and began explaining that he was the one that was going to try and fix up this man.

Tuic stared at the doctor with a dumbfounded look as he began explaining what was the cause of the bleeding and that he should get the thing out as soon as he had sedated the man.
“Wait you want me to try and stitch this guy back up? I don't know how to do that! I'll probably just kill the sod faster then just letting him bleed out.” He looked down at the tools the doctor had just shoved in his hands and then back at the dying man and the doctor. “Unless you really don't give a shit about what happens to him.”
Tuic
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Leviathan on July 20th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Doctor Petricious held the small bowl under the patient's chin until he was, undoubtedly, asleep and at no risk of vomitting up his herbal sedative. Then that large peculiar bird-like mask craned upwards until the doctor and his assistant, Tuic, were looking into each other's eyes. "Of course you aren't supposed to stitch him up. That would kill him for certain. You are going to Dig out the arrowhead and broken shaft first. I've given the patient an herbal concoction that puts him in a strong slumber, lowers his heart rate, and slows his blood flow. Bleeding won't be minimal because of the severity of his wound, but it will be drastically slowed." Doctor Petricious took a wicked pair of scissors and shrdded up the man's shirt, then peeled that bloody cloth from his chest, creating a nauseating suction sound as it separated from the flesh.

The doctor, whether he heard Tuic's comment about Petricious caring about the patient or not, started to hum to himself again, he was watching Tuic, waiting for him to do something, as if he expected the assistant to just miraculously absorb his own medicinal knowledge . "Of course not." The Doctor Petricious stared at Tuic still, examining him as if he was more interesting than the dying man on his table. [color=tan]"It's for the greater good of medicine. People will die, with or without my help. With, or without, your help they will die. By doing this, you will learn, and save lives that will come. If he dies, so be it, you'll be better for his sacrifice.
Bad News Everybody. School is picking up, Exams are beginning to happen, homework is growing time consuming, I may soon be evicted from my apartment, I'm dealing with severe and physical fights among several of my best friends, and I can't seem to find a time to get much needed sleep. I'm terribly sorry, but don't expect to see much of me for a long while.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Tuic on July 21st, 2011, 1:21 pm

Tuic felt a bit uncomfortable as the doctor stared into his eyes with those brown lenses of that bird like mask of his, you could never know what he was thinking because it didn't show it face, though with doctor petricious's reputation, maybe that was for the best. Then the doctor gave him a short reprimand on his stitch him up comment and gave him some very basic instructions on what to do. If you could call take out the arrow and broken shaft out first before stitching him up instructions and began to explain what the herbal did aside from sleeping. Tuic couldn't help but feel a bit of relief, at least that would give him a bit more time to try and fix up the guy.

Tuic didn't care about the sickening sound when the doctor peeled away the bloody shirt from the patients chest, humming that same song as always as he peeled away the cloth and began watching him, waiting for him to work, responding to his question with a strangely sound logic.
“Well... That does make sense, you always learn from failures” Tuic had to admit, besides why was he actually feeling bad about the fact that he was probably going to kill the guy? He regulary mugged and killed people and even condemned a person to the doctors research a few days ago for a couple of gold miza. Just shoving away the slight discomfort he took a firmer grip on the knife and grabbed the broken shaft of the arrow with those fancy pliers, giving it a short test to see how stuck it was in the man's stomach.
The doctor said that just pulling it out would do more harm, probably had some kind of hooks on the tip of the arrow, so if he already widened the hole a bit wouldn't the arrow do a lot less damage? Didn't cleanly clut flesh also heal better then ripped or something? Or did it just bleed less? Tuic decided that since the guy was gonna die anyway he would try to cut the hole a bit larger, it would give him more room to work with when he was going to try and pull out the arrow anyway.
Clumsily trying to cut the wound around the shaft a bit bigger so that the hooks wouldn't do more damage when he tried to pull out the arrow. Cursing a bit under his breath as the blood was slowly pooling out of the wound and obscuring his vision of where to cut making the already hard job for a novice almost completely impossible.
Tuic
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Leviathan on July 23rd, 2011, 1:14 pm

The Doctor, who was supposed to be acting as a coach or teacher in this sort of situation, did nothing but examine Tuic as he dug into the body. That incessant humming, next to the slightly elevated breathing of Tuic due to his anxiety of truly working for the first time as a Doctor, not an assistant, was the only sounds there. Mostly, anyway. There was the gurgling noises from the wound as blood bubbled and ran, but Petricious didn’t seem bothered in the least at his ‘assistant’s’ work.

When Tuic moved to slice open a bigger hole, Petricious only offer an inquisitive hum of satisfaction, for whatever reason he didn’t explain. The blood flow would be greater, but he wanted to see what Tuic would do with this now. It was a tricky, complicated business, but it was necessary. It was, after all, for the greater good of medicine and healing as the Good Doctor Petricious would say.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook

Postby Tuic on July 28th, 2011, 1:20 pm

Tuic got more and more nervous as the doctor just continued to look at him as he was working on the patient, the man's humming working on his nerves. Though he didn't dare to speak up and tell him to quit it. He didn't want to be the next one to wake up in the good doctors basement.
The slight lapse in concentration that came form that thought let him slip up, the scalpel slipping a bit in his hands, cutting way deeper then he had intended. As he cursed under his breath he decided to screw the fancy things and just pull out the arrow and see what happened.
Shoving the pliers into the wound and roughly grabbing the shaft as low under the arrowhead as he could, he began pulling it out, using all the force he could.
Tuic
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Leviathan on August 2nd, 2011, 5:35 pm

The Doctor's humming might have been nerve-wracking, but the sudden silence he offered as Tuic tore the barbed arrowhead from the man's stomach was even worse. That told Tuic that he had surprised the doctor, or perhaps he was just so intrigued that he couldn't hum and think simultaneously. The Doctor peered at the wound for a moment, and it was bleeding profusely now, before glancing back up at Tuic through that strange mask he always wore, and he merely shook his head from left, to right. "There's another body donated to the greater cause. He'll be dead before he wakes up. Here, take this."

The Doctor moved across the room and swiped a large sharp cleaver, much like you might expect to find in a Butcher's arsenal of tools, then he placed it on the man's chest so that Tuic could grab it when he had a free hand. "Select your token. A finger, hand, a certain bone perhaps. He won't be alive anyway, and it's best to remember our mistakes that me may learn from them." Doctor Petricious spoke as a man with significant experience in the matter. It was likely that he had done this very thing for years. Taking bones, organs, anything to remember each failed attempt at saving a life. rare as it was for him to fail, it would seem he went to great lengths to ensure each one was significant. A learning experience. From failure, he would say, we learn to succeed.

The Doctor then sat on the stool opposite of the soon-to-be cadaver of Tuic and started his humming again, now interested in which trophy Tuic would select.
Leviathan
Adapt, Migrate, or Die

Character sheet
Office
Scrapbook