[The Strangers Welcome] Your A Sight For Sore Eyes (Veldrys)

Lena just begins work at the Stranger, and runs into an interesting customer.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Postby Lena Estelain on July 24th, 2011, 11:59 am

3rd Day of Summer, 511 A.V.
Midnight, Strangers Welcome

Lena was definitely not feeling good today. Some of the sailors were getting a bit rough the last couple of days, and she couldn't afford to flip out at them anymore. Oleg told her she had the right to be made but needed to learn to do something else. It was bad for business after all. She had to learn to take it or avoid them and their hands. Since she thought those options were bullshit. Lena got innovative. Tied her hair up with her bandanna more often. Wore her looser more covering tunic and breeches instead of her dress. Tied her breasts down, and learned to slow down the drinks that went their way as long as possible. The less drunk, the better.

So when Lena finally got to Veldrys. She was happy to see a behaved man and excited to talk to him more. Rather than just a greeting here or there. She tried fixing her hair a bit but it was no use. She was hot, sweaty and frizzed out from working all night. ”Your a sight for sore eyes.” She said with an exasperated smile. Using one hand to lean on an empty chair. ”It's always nice to see a man with manner around here. What can I get you for honey?” Like every other Denvalian. She heard a lot about anyone for another part of the world. A little too much now that she realized how many outsiders she knew well enough to be comfortable like this with.
Last edited by Lena Estelain on October 12th, 2011, 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lena Estelain
Made Of Dirt And Stones"

Words: 31809
Joined roleplay: June 12th, 2011, 9:56 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Veldrys on July 29th, 2011, 5:51 am

Veldrys rarely visited taverns, at least for the food. His eating habits would be considered disgusting by most and at least mildly strange by the rest. He couldn’t digest most of the things that humans ate. Meat would just cause him stomach pain. But he went to the Stranger’s Welcome every once in a while because of the company. Even a man who bore the mark of Viratas and was utterly devoted to his god craved the presence of mortals occasionally. He had come to like the Denvali. He almost considered them his people in fact, even though they were not even of the same race. They had welcomed him with open arms, and talks about the Harvest and how evil the Symenestra were, were rare. He was comfortable around them.

The healer and acolyte of Viratas was, as always, dressed in a robe, partly to hide the exoskeleton armor underneath. It would without a doubt raise questions, and he wasn’t in the mood to explain just how fragile a Symenestra’s body was. He simply wanted to sit here, at this table and watch and listen to the people aorund him.

As Lena approached him, the Symenestra raised his head. „Thank you“, he said to what was without a doubt a compliment – he wasn’t entirely familiar with the Common language and all those sayings yet. In most other cities the sight of a Symenestra talking to a human woman would have been a cause for suspicion or fear, but Lena smiled at him, and he smiled back. It was a light smile that failed to reveal the elongated canines behind his lips.

He briefly wondered if there was a possibility that he could get the young woman to make a Bruka for him, but then dismissed it. „Do you have a glass of wine for me?“ he wanted to know. „And maybe a few fresh fruit?“ Fruit were something that he could eat normally in most cases, and drinks posed little problem as well.

„Lena, isn’t it?“ he asked, wondering if he had identified her correctly and if she had heard what had happened during the ritual in the chapel. Had she been there? There had been so many people that he couldn’t remember every single one of them.
Veldrys
Player

Words: 401625
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Lena Estelain on August 5th, 2011, 9:46 am

Lena couldn't help but smile when he said thank you. He was such a cute man when he smiled. She wanted to reach over and pinch his cheeks but ignored the thought completely. It almost seemed insulting to think such a thing.

”„Do you have a glass of wine for me? And maybe a few fresh fruit?” Gods his accent was almost as cute as him smile. She listened and gazed at his adorable features as tried to guess her name. He was so cute looking it almost made her feel a little embarrassed about her own looks. She nervously fixed her dress and hair in a sad attempt at looking a little more waitress and little less farm girl.

”Yes sir Lena Estelain. You have a terrific memory and might I add such a pretty accent! I'm guessing Common isn't your first language? I have heard about the Symenestra but little more than bar talk. Can you say a little for me in... Oh what is the name? I'm sorry I'm awful at remembering these things.” She smiled wide but grew a little red as she remembered her job. Embarrassed, she cleared her throat and tried to correct herself. ”My apologies Veldrys I get a little off track some times. Fresh fruits we have plenty off. Would some nectarines do you good? We even have some mango things I heard were good? Nice and ripe if that's what your looking for.” Said Lena smiling, still a bit red.

”We get everything you can possibly think of from Theo and his green house. So pick a fruit and I can guarantee you'll like it. Also red or white wine honey? We have some little water if your looking to burn from the inside out? I have no idea how Oleg stands that stuff. It burns the hair right off your head.” She noticed she was talking a little too much and decided to shut up. Lena knew most of the people In Denval. Either all her life or at least knew theirs names by heart. So it was easy to just chat and forget pleasantries.
Lena Estelain
Made Of Dirt And Stones"

Character sheet

Postby Veldrys on August 10th, 2011, 8:47 am

The young woman seemed nervous as she stood there, in front of him, but it wasn’t that kind of nervousness that human women normality exhibited when they were facing a Symenestra. She seemed to be entirely devoid of fear, like most of the Denvali he had encountered so far. As far as he was concerned, she looked embarrassed more than anything else. And apparently she thought he had a cute accent. The Symenestra rolled his eyes a little as he heard that. He wasn’t sure what he was supposed to think about that. Of course he liked it when a woman found him appealing, but on the other hand ...

„Thank you“, he murmurred. He almost blushed a little as well because he wasn’t used to being treated in such a way, but in the end he managed to look calm and polite. „No, Common isn’t my first language. I only learned it as a teenager, from the traders that occasionally visited our city. The language of my people is called Symenos. I can certainly say a few words in it.“ He paused, and then he said a few soft words. There was an almost eery quality about them.

„Nectarines would be best“, he replied. He wasn’t entirely sure what a mango was and what it tasted like, and thus he didn’t want to take any chances. Nectarines on the other hand were delicious and juicy, the perfect kind of fruit for somebody that couldn’t digest solid things. "A green house?“ he asked and arched an eyebrow. „I think I’ll visit Theo sometimes. Does he grow many plants that aren’t native to this part of the world there?“ He wondered about the possibility of a greenhouse of his own, to grow herbs that he used for his potions. Would it be very expensive to build one?

„Red wine please“, he said. „I don’t particularly like white wine, and I don’t think I want a drink that burns the hair off my head either.“ He touched the silver strands that framed his face and tried to picture himself bald. The thought made him shudder a little. „I don’t think I would look particularly good without hair“, he decided, in a somewhat dry tone of voice. „It doesn’t suit me.“
Veldrys
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lena Estelain on August 14th, 2011, 7:50 am

So common wasn't his first language? That didn't surprise her all that much, but the part about learning it from traders, did. She knew little of his city and far less of his people than she felt comfortable with. Denvali were always hungry for knowledge about the outside world and Lena was no different.

She straightened up, excitement peaked as he indulged her and spoke in his native tongue. It seemed to slide out of his lips so easily. She was thoroughly impressed by his skill. Flipping back and forth between the two languages was no easy feat.

”„Nectarines would be best“ Just like that he spoke in nearly perfect common. She smiled at his order and scrawled the order on paper. Trying not to look at him. She could feel a slight blush rising on her cheeks. She just wanted to kiss him, he was so cute.

She scribbled more notes as he finished his order. „I don’t particularly like white wine, and I don’t think I want a drink that burns the hair off my head either.“ She stared at him with adoring eyes as he spaced off and touched his hair. Thinking about him being bald. She was reaching her limit on how cute he was. She wanted to kiss and punch his shoulder. She had a very aggressive affection and it embarrassed her a little. She was so un-girly is was nearly shameful.

She fumbled with her dress as she spoke. ”Okay, the best nectarines I can fine and a good red wine will be coming right up. As for Theo? That guy can make anything he wants really. His green house is amazing. The perfect place to be at in the winter. Nice and hot all year around. Better than 'little water' to keep the cold away.” She smiled at him fondly. Wishing he was going to be a regular. ”And your hair is fine just the way it is sweetie. Like spun silver. Makes me feel a little ratty... Ah, I'll just be getting your order though. Sometimes I can talk all night, I swear.” The red was returning to her cheeks. Her pale skin didn't little to conceal it, and that only embarrassed her more. Smiling she turned back and headed for the kitchen.

It took her a bit to grab a suitable wine, and she asked Oleg for his choice in the end. She wanted her new and possible favorite customer. To have a good time. She walked up briskly with a wooden plate. Full of nectarines, a bottle of wine and cup. Setting them down she smiled wide. ”Hope you like it. Fresh fruit and a fine bottle.” She uncorked the wine and poured it into his cup. The nectarines were tediously cut by hand and she felt rather proud of the little display she made for him.

God this was silly, why was she being so helpful?
Lena Estelain
Made Of Dirt And Stones"

Character sheet

Postby Veldrys on September 2nd, 2011, 7:18 pm

Veldrys couldn’t help but notice the adoring look in the young woman’s eyes, and he came to the realization that he definitely wasn’t used to such a kind of treatment. In Kalinor human women didn’t look at Symenestra men like that unless they were completely delusional. In Kalinor such looks were an invitation to murder, a painful, premature death. Had Lena never heard of the Harvest? He wasn’t sure whether he should relax in her presence and be happy that she treated him like any other man or chide her for being so ignorant. If Lena had been in Kalinor, she would have been raped, and her body would have been dumped onto the cavern floor after her death. She had no way of knowing that he was different from the rest of his kind.

„Does it get very cold here in winter?“ he wanted to know. Her remark that the green house was the perfect place to be at in winter made him think that the temperatures weren’t exactly pleasant at that time of the year. „In my home city the weather never really changes. It’s underground, so it doesn’t snow there.“ He glanced at the silken robe that he was wearing and made a face. It wasn’t particularly thick. It occured to him that he hadn’t packed any winter clothes when he had left Kalinor. He hadn’t been aware of how long he would stay in Denval.

„Sweetie?“ he asked, and a smile tugged at the corners of his lips. Despite everything it amused him a little that she called him that. He didn’t think that anybody had called him „sweetie“ before. It was such a cute, innocent word. „You don’t look ratty“, he assured her. „There’s nothing wrong with the way you look. As for talking all night, I don’t mind. I prefer people that are friendly and talk all the night to the opposite. People that don’t talk have something to hide in my opinion.“ He shrugged his shoulders.

As she disappeared into the kitchen to get his order, his gaze followed her. Why had she blushed like that?

As she returned with a plate full of nectarines, his eyes lit up and his mouth began to water a little. „The fruit look wonderful, Lena“, he said to her. „Thank you.“ He took a sip from the cup. „And the wine is delicious. Tell me, does it come from Denval as well?“
Veldrys
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lena Estelain on September 11th, 2011, 8:32 am

He thanked her for the fruit and she blushed. She felt idiotic for getting red because he liked her little tray of fruit. Still... It was a nice plate. She looked down and admired her work as he spoke. And held back the urge to fix a crooked piece of fruit. She instead flattened the ruffles out of her dress.

„And the wine is delicious. Tell me, does it come from Denval as well?“ Asked Veldrys. It was a good question. One she had to think about. They had some Vintages from Vantha but not much.

”I know my Mother grows some grape crop for Theo and other small brewers in Denval. We have some wine and other things from Avantha but not much.. Most of it comes from Denvali growers. And Theo's green house is warm all year around. Even in the dead of winter its hotter than Denval ever gets.” She remembered his other questions and felt a little foolish for not answering them before.

”It gets pretty cold during winter. Enough to freeze crops and your heart if you let it. Life is hard up here, but that's the best part of it.” A proud smile tugged at the corners of her mouth. The land was tough and it was like harvesting moss off a rock, but she loved every second of it. Each harvest was a mark of pride. And ever since she left her mothers farm. Lena put all her effort into her customers. It was small compared to pulling in a seasons harvest, but she still made sure each person left happy and came back. Not like they had much choice though. They were the only tavern in town.

Lena yawned and stretched a bit. Her back was killing her, and the Inn was empty any how. She pulled up a chair and sat across from Veldrys, smiling. ”Sorry, I get so tired at this job! I need a place to sit from time to time. Ha ha, I can til fields till my feet bleed but standing around all day kills me.”

She reached over to another table and grabbed a wooden cup. She held it near the wine flagon with a smile. ”May I share some of your wine? I promise to split it with you of course. But a girl needs a taste now and again”
Lena Estelain
Made Of Dirt And Stones"

Character sheet

Postby Veldrys on September 15th, 2011, 11:49 am

„Do you know how Theo’s greenhouse stays warm in winter?“ the Symenestra wanted to know. There were no greenhouses where he came from. Did Theo use magic? Was he some kind of reimancer? No, that couldn’t be. People were naturally suspicious of magic. Nobody would practice a magic that had to do with fire openly and still be a respected member of society. Ivak was responsible for what had happened over five hundred years ago. Maybe the greenhouse was just some clever kind of construction. Maybe he would spend a lot of time there when it began to snow. He wasn’t used to winter on the surface.

„Life is hard where I come from as well“, he remarked. „My people constantly have to fight for their lives.“ A sad smile was visible on his face for a moment, and then he took another sip from his wine. Lena seemed to be proud to be a Denvali. Was he proud to be a Symenestra? Probably – he couldn’t imagine being anything else – but he was not proud of some of the things that his people did, even if the things in question were necessary for their survival.

As she sat down opposite of him, he smiled a little. „Feel free to sit here as long as you want to. Your job must be exhausting sometimes. I can’t imagine standing all day long.“ As she asked for a bit of his wine, he nodded. „Certainly.“ He took the flagon and filled her cup. „And there’s no need to split. Consider this an invitation, Lena. I don’t think I’m in the mood to drink my wine alone today.“
Veldrys
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Lena Estelain on September 22nd, 2011, 8:37 am

Lena blushed a little as he poured her a cup. Saying her coin wasn't needed and he was in no mood to spend his time alone. Was this a date then? Her cheeks grew pink with the thought. She sipped her wine to hide a smile. It wouldn't do for Veldrys to see her grinning like a cow with cud.

”You are very kind Sir, most men around her don't appreciate what I go through.” She chuckled putting the cup down. ”Of course, this beats harvesting or plowing the stony soil we have here. When I was young, I used to be so afraid. I would grow up to be hunched. That I slept on the hard floor to keep it straight.” She gave her thigh a playful smack and smiled. ”Guess it worked at keeping my posture, huh? At least the local boys think so.” Lena contemplated taking a piece of fruit, but she didn't want to intrude and instead, said. ”But I am getting off track a little... Leo's Green house is specially built as far as I can tell. He mentioned something about the glass ceiling, but you will have to ask him about that. I'm sure he will be able to help you.

And did you say your homeland was underground?”
She felt a little stupid for not hearing that the first time. The regulars said Veldrys wasn't human but she hated to listen to the gossip. When she could just see him at the bar and find out herself. ”Do you mind giving this farmers daughter a lesson on your homeland? And how you came to be here? I could buy you another cup of wine for your troubles!”

Lena leaned with her elbows on the table. Ready to pick the man's brain. This “date” was already heading off in the right direction. Like all Denvali, Lena had an insatiable thirst for knowledge of the outside world.
Lena Estelain
Made Of Dirt And Stones"

Character sheet

Postby Veldrys on September 29th, 2011, 5:39 am

„Harvesting or plowing?“ Veldrys asked. „Are you a farmer’s daughter, Lena?“ The Symenestra had very little idea what exactly the life of a farmer was like and what it involved. Kalinor where he had grown up was underground, and thus there hadn’t been any farmers. They had hunted, and they had occasionally gathered things in the forest above, and that had been it. „You usually don’t grow up to be hunched“, he informed her. That was the healer in him talking. „Most people don’t grow hunched until they are well past middle age, and there are ways to prevent even that if you know what to do.“ He shrugged his shoulders.

„Sleeping on the hard floor must have been uncomfortable, but your posture is good.“ He smiled a little as well, and then he pondered what she had said about Theo’s green house. A glass ceiling? He was most interested in how it had been made. There were very few things made of glass in Kalinor. He had always thought glass was expensive. Was this Theoo a rich man? „I’ll definitely visit him“, he decided, and then he turned to answer her question about his homeland.

„Yes, it is underground. It is under a forest south of here, and a human like you wouldn’t be able to enter it without help. My people don’t live on the cave floor, like you’d expect. Our houses hang from the ceiling and are connected by thick ropes.“ He wondered what she’d think of that. „I came here because I heard that the Denvali worship Viratas, just like my people. I also heard that that Denval was secluded from the outside world for centuries. I’m a bit of a historian, and such things naturally interest me.“

He didn’t tell her the other reason why he had come to the surface, the Harvest and all the problems he had with it. It was too depressing a topic and would ruin the mood.

„Another cup of wine would be appreciated“, he said. „But only one more. I don’t want to get drunk, and I’m sure you don’t want a drunk Symenestra in your tavern either.“
Veldrys
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next