Quest I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei [Priskil marked + Torc]

The goddess of hope, Priskil, gathers her faithful to discuss a proposal that might change her future.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Encompassing a vast wilderness filled with flora and fauna of immense proportions, the Northern Reaches include all the Talderian Forest north of the Suvan and stretch into the vast permanent tundra and ice fields outside Avanthal.

I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei [Priskil marked + Torc]

Postby Amarhyl on August 18th, 2011, 4:37 pm

OOCSorry it took me so long to reply here. Life got a little crazy.
The story Jiliste spoke intrigued the young girl. She had never encountered such a thing in her life before. She was very naive, unlearned in most things that happened outside of the walls of a city. She was just a girl working in a tailors shop. That was her life, that was all she knew. As for her mark story? It was fairly unremarkable. She could barely remember it.
”I was young, maybe three? I hardly remember at all. She spoke about my mother. And that was really it.” It was the truth. The Goddess had been with Amarhyl’s mother before she died, and some exchange had passed between them. It was unremarkable, but that was it.

The girl was one of the ones who remained standing. The group around her remained where they were too and besides, if she sat in one of the chairs further back. She was small enough that she would not be able to see a thing. As Drainira was introduced recognition flickered in her mind. She was sure that the other woman had spoken the name. Amarhyl turned, but Miss Jiliste seemed to have moved away. She listened carefully, trying to make sense of everything being said. As for Syliras, the girl had vague memories of what was spoken. Surprise then lit her features as the Goddess herself called upon Torc, the Isur standing within the loose grouping around her. Miss Jiliste had been right about him after all.

Once again she listened carefully, trying to unravel everything the man said. A new heart for Aquiras? It seemed that Xalet and herself had been correct in their suspicions too. She nodded at the Akalak’s words. When did they begin indeed? And how on earth did they go about it?
It was then that Miss Jiliste stepped forward.
Of course they would succeed. They had to succeed. Amarhyl herself knew that she would assist Torc whatever it took. She may be inexperienced in most ways of life, but she would try for her Goddess.
A frown creased her brow as Miss Jiliste continued on. Drainira and Sagallius? The young girl had not even considered them. Her eyes took on a worried light. What if this turned into something more?

Yes, Amarhyl was perhaps too young to fully comprehend everything that had been spoken today. But she was determined.
”Well…” Her voice was small; she was usually terrified of talking to one stranger, let alone a great roomful.
”Surely there must be ways we can keep the hearts creation quiet?” She looked over at Torc. ”Mr Torc has managed so far.”
She swallowed nervously and fell silent. Perhaps Torc had more to say on the matter?
Amarhyl
Knowledge Seeker

Words: 56680
Joined roleplay: February 9th, 2011, 5:58 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Torc Ironwood on August 20th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Torc stood quietly waiting for the decision of the crowd. He was glad that Xalet was the first to speak up for his question was one of affirmation and wiliness to succeed. Torc took a moment and spoke, “I would like to start right away. However, our friend,” Torc motioned his hand to the goddess, “Must decide what are her most important priorities. I don’t want to create this heart and have the world fall under Sagallius shadow while doing so.” But it was a good start for the quest. At least he had one person willing to help him and speak up for the lady.

There were some more questions, that arose and Torc spoke, “I can’t answer question about the ingredients or how it will be made, it’s better for only a few people to know, and I want to make sure that they are committed to the Goddess and her lover.” Then Jiliste spoke… briefly a spark of anger arose in him. He was the maker, not her! Who was she to question him! And yet Torc understood her questions, slowly with deep breaths he was able to gain control over his thoughts and emotions as Amarhyl spoke. She was innocent and good, and for some reason Torc wanted to protect her from all the harm in the world. Suddenly, he realized that if she went on this quest of creation she would be thrust into the middle of danger.

Torc struggled with that fact. Xalet seemed like a capable man that could handle danger at any turn. Jiliste… well needless to say he wasn’t overly afraid of placing her in danger. But small innocent Amarhyl? He had barely known her, and for some reason he felt like she was a like mouse. Scurrying for thing to thing afraid of the world, and yet when trust was gain would be a constant companion. Could he ask her to sacrifice herself? For that brief moment Torc warred with Lhex’s words. Creation is shameless. It might be that, but it didn’t mean that Torc wouldn’t feel guilty about losing people on this trip. “Amarhyl, thank you for your confidence, but the truth is that Jiliste has a point. I might be a maker, and I can see the possibility of making this heart, but I am not perfect. This is why I am asking for help!”

Torc began scanning the crowd, instead of just staring at Jiliste. “I need people to help me protect the creation of the heart, as well as, stop me from making something that will bring darkness into Priskil’s world. As Jiliste has said, I am very tempted to create the heart and thrust it into my own chest. However, if I have someone marked from Priskil, she will know exactly when I have finished my work and stop that temptation from ever becoming a reality. I need you folks to help make sure I mold the heart in the image of Aquiras, instead of something of my own making.” Torc directed his gaze at Jiliste, “For those of you who join me, I can’t guarantee that I will always act on your advice, but I can make sure to listen to it.” Torc change his gaze to Xalet and then to Amarhyl, “It has to be your choice to protect the creation of the heart. I can’t do this without help, and I recognize that, I need you to make sure I am on the just path as I create this new heart.” Torc once again addressed the crowd. “For creation is shameless, and it is likely that I will falter or misstep by myself, but with your eyes and minds we can all minimize that risk.”

Torc paused for a moment and went back to Jiliste, “You asked if by undertaking this quest the Order could gain more enemies? The gods and goddesses of evil already hate you for bring hope into the world, for hope is the first step in the fight against them. What about the gods that care not for good or evil? For them should the watchtowers once again began to function the world prospers and they will prosper as well. Yes, Jiliste, it’s possible the order might gain a new enemy. However, should we succeed at this quest, your goddess will gain her love back, and the Order will gain use of the watchtowers and allies in the followers of Aquiras.”

“You asked if we should worry about Sagallius wanting the new heart from himself? The answer is yes, but should he decide to replace it, it’s my hope that we can get Aquiras old heart back and still save him. I suppose the real question is that are you willing to take a risk instead of playing it safe? Are you willing to stop trying to think of every possibility and instead take the chance that we might succeed? You can be the only person to answer that question, Nuit. For me, I am willing to work hard and take that chance. I am willing to step forward and try to solve the problems before me. And that’s all I can ask of everyone else here.”

OOCNot sure if I should be flattered that you compared me to Archwizard Mashaen, so all I have to say is…. Come on! Don’t you want to at least try and flip the bird to Sagallius and resurrect Priskils love!
Torc Ironwood
Player

Words: 242252
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2010, 1:58 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Xalet on August 22nd, 2011, 5:12 pm

As some of the banter went back and forth, Xalet thought to himself about an interesting prospect. What if Sagallius did take the heart? What if the group knew about that ahead of time, and the heart he managed to take was sabotaged? Could Aquiras be saved and Sagallius be maimed all in one go? Quickly he shook the thoughts of out his head, that was too far from the original plan and potentially impossible given the fact that they were dealing with Gods. Xalet couldn't completely understand exactly how being of divine power worked, but given their extensive powers that went vastly beyond his own he imagined they had intellects that far surpassed his own meager mental status.

"Those are reasonable reservations." Xalet responded finally. In truth he understood everything Jilitse had said, including the potential complications that undertaking this kind of operation could impose. The difference was he just didn't care. Xalet worked with very simple protocols and if something didn't add up then he simply put forth more effort until it did. Failure was failure, it happened. Tragedies happened. Sometimes all that effort just made things worse. Sometimes you rolled the dice and they came up snake-eyes. But...

...sometimes you rolled the dice and they came up seven. As Bob Barton, the strange man possessing even more distinct vertical challenges than Torc, would have put it, you had to play to win. The stakes were just slightly different now, that being money and prestige verses the fate of the world. "There's a lot of 'what if' possibilities when you do something of this magnitude. It is the way of all things. Sagallius took his gamble when he took the heart of Aquiras, and now we have the chance to take our gamble to put things right. There is merit in putting the odds in our favor as much as possible, but the answer is never to not try. Creation spans the world over. My creation..." Xalet said, as he pointed to himself, before moving his hand toward Jilitse, "...your creation, Torc's creation." he continued, gesturing over to the man heading up this discussion. "But we are here now, focusing on stopping darkness and corruption instead of spreading it."

All that was quite a bit more than Xalet had really hoped to say. The akalak was much more the internal type, keeping his thoughts to himself and only speaking when asked directly. Even then his responses were focused with little embellishment. Today though, it was time to be as eloquent as possible, even if he did not possess such eloquence. "I believe this is a gamble worth taking. The time is right, and we are not alone."
Xalet
The answer is more Body Building.

Words: 539431
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)

Postby Jilitse on August 24th, 2011, 8:31 am

Nuits rarely talk, so that when they do, most people are either flabbergasted or appalled. Some find wisdom in their words, for their thoughts have been carefully rearranged over time, they who have more than one hundred years to live. Unlike Torc and the others who have spoken in support of the half-Isur, Jilitse did not bear visible emotions - her voice carried no passion, yet she spoke with conviction. She let the attention fall on her when she spoke, and focused her static gaze at Torc, and at Torc only.

"Perhaps," she spoke, "I have not made myself clear. There is no contention with your desire to help the God Aquiras. That is not where my hesitation lie. In fact, those who agree with you now will have to eventually think about this later on." She sighed, for show.

"My point is, do you already have a plan on how to go about this?"

She was getting better and better at playing rhetoric. "Or do you come here to ask for help, and expect us to follow you." Leadership was always a question. Perhaps it was best that Jilitse looked at things as if they always had a pecking order. The Order of Radiance was a flat organization at best. "Why don't we give it a try? Give us one ingredient, and tell us how you plan on obtaining it and how we are supposed to help. Have you figured it out, do you know what to do, or will you have us help you in every step, every ingredient, every process?" It was obvious that Torc need not answer. Jilitse hinted at the fact that the Order might end up errand boys and girls to Torc's quest, and that was unfair, no matter if the heart was for Aquiras, because at the end of it all, the heart was a display of devotion to Cheva. They'd die not for Aquiras, but for Torc's selfish quest. Pulsers never see things that way, unafraid to admit their selfishness - those who do, do it for lip service. Torc could disguise his aspirations as self-sacrifice, yet it was he who would greatly benefit at the end.

"See, planning and method aside, you have not spoken of any strategy." Her voice was calm, collected, monotonous - it had a matter-of-factly tone to it. "Everybody," she stretched out one hand and waved it at the room. "would probably like to hear what each of our part in this task will be. I should know that I do not speak for myself when I say that everyone in this room marked by the Goddess is deserving of her full confidence and trust. Everyone in this room would be willing to help, of course. Anyone here who doesn't want Aquiras revived?" She was satisfied enough to hear murmurs of agreement. Everyone in this room needs to know what the heart is all about, is what she thought. She eventually spilled it out. "But what do you mean when you say that we should protect you? Are you saying it outright that our heads might roll off for, as you have said so yourself, your lost cause? Do you mean to say we shield you from harm, or die in your stead?" She leaned forward a little, "Have you truly weighed the consequences of your undertaking? Do you mean us to man the fort in case Sagallius and his followers attack?" Are we to be cannon fodder, Torc Ironwood? On top of that, making Torc's quest a priority would entail neglect in duties. Now what was the consequence of that?

Jilitse found Torc naïve, his words nothing but pep talk and words of encouragement. He came forward with an idea in mind, romanticized it in front of Priskil's followers. His words made Jilitse cringe. 'Priskil's world', he said. 'I do not own the world', she could imagine Priskil say. Does he hear himself speak of things as if success was surely at the palm of his hand? That wasn't hope, Jilitse assessed. That was pride. Self-confidence. Perhaps, too much of it. Let's see how much of that translates into action, she thought, as a matter of fact, he might be withholding information because he didn't have a plan at all - stalling was the best way to pretend you have a strategy that "you don't want other people to know". She lifted a finger and tapped her lips. Hum hum. If she had her pipe, she'd be smoking a lot of concentric circles right now. She wanted to be there the moment Torc is caught empty handed, "I don't know where to start, how to begin." She could hear him say. The man had said a lot of half truths. Jil slowly registered a smug look on her face. Wasn't it just a few moments ago, Torc vehemently denied the fact that he was the reason this meeting was called?

Torc was the most curious of all the people she had come across with. His faith in his own self was something else. It was very different from the way self-assured mad wizards she was accustomed to carried themselves. His relationship with his deity was something she would want to study, analyze. And then she thought of Stitch and the kids at the orphanage - all of them had their minds suffer and souls broken because of Drainira. Or rather, because of herself - didn't she bring Marie Suzanne inside the Orphanage, which Drainira personally collected? How far along in the quest before Torc meets Drainira's henchmen, she wondered, and how many fighters will the Counting Doll send this time around? When it happens, how many will be in the line of fire: how many members of the Order, how many innocents? When it came right down to business the Sahovan Nuit wanted to hear a detailed strategy. She didn't want the incident at the Orphanage to happen again. She thoughtfully placed a hand just under her ribs. She could still feel the sword of cheating under her skin. In her mind she could see the room full of swords controlled by strings. Each one of them pointed at everybody's necks, Priskil's included.

She shook her head at Xalet's words. She didn't bother to address his words, for he was only among the crowd, and at the moment only TOrc's words mattered. Still, she was disappointed in the akalak. Life, even for an undead like her, she would never consider a gamble. Drainira measured things by the numbers, and it was not good practice to count on her statistical miscalculations. Oh, if only these puny mortals knew what lay before them.

And then a whisper, to herself, almost quiet, and in her native tongue. "Dira, please," like she always prayed, "not today. Not until I have fulfilled my promises to Zarik Mashaen." She laced her fingers on top of each other, and nestled them under her chin.

Had Torc really though about the consequences of his request; were pulsers short sighted like that? She reminded herself that people might need more time for excitement before concern and reality could hit them with a brick at the face. Jil tore her eyes away from Torc, she felt compelled to see - and hear, if possible - Dina's take on things.
Last edited by Jilitse on August 29th, 2011, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Torc Ironwood on August 28th, 2011, 5:07 pm

It’s so easy to destroy, Torc thought. That’s all Jilitse was doing, trying to attack the idea. It was easy throwing up arguments about a plan. Or pointing out flaws in an idea, what was sad was that she… he… it, didn’t offer a solution to any of the problems they brought up. So Torc closed his eyes and pause for a moment, he remembered Sylir’s face. The man had died because he knew he couldn’t stop war without his own sacrifice. Torc took a deep breath and inhaled the free djed of the room. The world thumped into his chest and when he opened his eyes he stared at Jilitse. Torc felt the memory of Sylir come over him, like a pair of clothes Torc remembered the God’s face as he did battle. A sense of calm began to come over Torc, and he felt the very breath come out of him filled with that strength.

Torc looked at Jilitse not as an enemy, but as someone who had forgotten her faith. “Jilitse, I came here asking for help, nothing more. Lhex said that this quest would be one of tragedy, I know people will die, but I also know that without help I will die before I even get started. Still some things need to be righted, and I believe that this is one of them. You asked for the first ingredient very well…” Torc paused his stare becoming more intense, and in an almost hushed voice he spoke once again.

“We must melt a thousand mountains, the size of Mt. Skyinarta or greater, and put five or more pounds of it in a bowl. Kelwyn is looking for the coordinates of a world without life that fits the bill. There is a man that has melted down a world before… his name is Krigel Avisata. He is as power hungry and crazy as any great wizard, but he will know how to do it and should we find him and convince him to help us, we will have secured the first ingredient.” Torc inhaled the world again, he felt the lines of power being drawn. He hadn’t wanted to talk about the first ingredient because saying it out loud allowed others to hear it.

Torc wasn’t worried about Priskil’s followers… he was worried about the dark shadows, the wind, lines of power that brought news back to others that could barter for it. He remembered Lhex, those eyes of infinity, each line and draft of power turned into the next event. Torc felt the world for a moment soak into him. Torc had faith… not in himself, not in doing the right thing, but in the world. All you had to do was set up the right events and the world would tumble into its fate. That was what Lhex had showed him, that the future and past wove the present. Each step was an echo of what the future and past brought.

“As for leadership… I am only needed to make the thing, if someone with wisdom and compassion wishes to lead, I will follow them, but Jilitse…. We both know that is not you. You may have a great capacity for logic and stragedy, but in all those hundred years of unlife, you have forgotten to live, and this is about creating a life that needs to be lived. Not just planned. This is about a life that needs to be able to love and feel loved back. A life that puts one foot in front of the last one to experience the new. A life that allows the world to happened to him, because that is the greatest adventure, not the destination. A life that leads him forward into the unknown, but when he is lost and lonely comes back to the light of his love. Priskil was his heart, for she was the greatest adventure that he had ever known, and he brought her back tales from the world not to impress her, but to share his love with her.”

Where was this coming from, Torc thought, for a moment his mind was outside of his body and wondering where such words were being fed from. Torc began to realize that perhaps Aquiras and himself shared something greater… Priskil and Mona, leaving home and yet that was where their heart was, the want of love and the sharing of everything that they experienced. Torc felt like he was feeding off some deep power source within him and from the world outside.
Torc Ironwood
Player

Words: 242252
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2010, 1:58 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Jilitse on August 29th, 2011, 3:31 pm

Shameful how Torc Ironwood had twice revealed his limitations in understanding those he ask for help, Jilitse most specially. "Of course that would not be me. Had I even shown interest in your quest? Last time I checked I haven't said I'll help you make your godsheart. I said, 'we all want Aquiras revived.'" She waved a hand dismissively, "Not the same thing. I am no leader half-Isur, and I do not wish to be so." She smiled her coy smile - her lower lips pursed and her upper lip curved in faint amusement.. "You have a propensity to put words upon my lips, interpret my questions as if they have an underlying meaning."

"I do not see the world revolving around me, I do not pull people towards me, or drag them to my goals."
Shameful, how Torc Ironwood had failed her test. Instead of claiming leadership, of accountability for the lives that he will destroy - and kill inadvertently - he had chosen to bounce Jilitse's words back at her, as if the assault would inspire guilt or humiliation. She had hoped the pulser would at least own his responsibility. Show a little backbone, prove her wrong he didn't have a plan. Too bad.

Jilitse had never played this game before. Where Torc saw him as a figure of opposition, someone constantly attacking him and his ideas, to the Nuit she was nothing more than part of the crowd. She was slightly displeased at the way the godsheart aspiring-to-be-maker took all her questions the wrong way. She just wanted to ask questions, inquire. She was just a plain regular mouse among the throng of mice - but she was the one who asked if the plan would work - the proverbial voice who asked who will put the bell on the cat's tail. 'Who's gonna do it?' That mouse had asked then. But it was not out of cowardice as others surmised, just being pragmatic - that's all.

Quietly, she drank the name of the mage and reached into her memory. Was the name familiar?

And then Torc talked about life and love. She resisted the urge to cut his tirade. Jil has had enough memories of life and death and love that her time of fondly speaking about them had long past. Once he was done, she was compelled to ask, "And have you already an idea how to convince this Krigel Avisata? I know a thing or two about mages and wizards, the price they ask is always more than what you can offer, but they take more than what you can pay."

To Dina, Jilitse asked, "Should Torc Ironwood die, shouldn't there be someone else to carry the torch." The recipe was there, and it was for Aquiras, wasn't it? She continued, lest Torc accuse her of something else again, "Not me, of course, our guest seem to have taken disgust against the undead. Should he die, efforts to make the heart will go in vain. All would be pointless and meaningless then." Which was one of the things she had been trying to explain all this time. She no longer addressed the half-Isur, she was getting tired of his fluff.
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Tarot on September 3rd, 2011, 10:55 pm

And at this point, there was the light sound of someone clearing her throat. For the first time, Priskil herself interrupted the ongoing discussion, which had slowly degenerated into a showdown between Torc Ironwood and Jilitse of Sahova. “Perhaps I should add a few things of my own before we continue," the goddess said slowly, all heads turning her way. “This is not an easy topic for me. Maybe it would be if I were Gnora, but I am not. This... strikes very close to home." She turned to Dina, as if to confirm she had used the expression correctly. She had been taking classes in the modern common tongue. The woman nodded sharply. “And because I am so biased when it comes to Aquiras, I thought I would hear everyone's opinions. It may or may not have been the right choice, but it was the only one for me. My hope was to walk out of tonight's meeting with a general consensus on what to do next. I would appreciate it if everyone could keep that in mind.

With that said, I know for certain Torc has acquired this information with no small risk to himself, and I would not question his good will. As well, I know for certain Jilitse is merely considering this matter from a logical point of view. Despite the magic of creation that you both wield, the two of you come from very different paths of life. I am sure you two can put..."

Weliardina Allon blatantly interrupted Priskil. Not many here would have had the guts to, friends or not. The goddess looked at her in surprise. “Enough with the group hugs, Priskil," she said. “Friends-of-a-friend are not necessarily friends with each other, anyways. I couldn't care less if they're like cat and dog, as long as we have a decision within the next bell. There will be no consensus here except through your word. You have to decide if Lhex's words and this man's offer are worth sacrificing your people for. This whole thing is full of unknowns, as it's been pointed out more than once. Then again, everything about this group is full of unknowns. Look at their faces, how lost and confused they are. And that's because you keep asking for opinions but never act on them. My goodness, Priskil, make up your mind. It's YOUR husband and YOUR Order. Act like a goddess and make the damn choice or we're just going to stay here forty days and forty nights just running in circles around each other. There are more than enough arguments to either side."

Priskil had a shocked look on her face for a few instants, and then it was apparent just why Weliardina was essential to the Order's survival. “Dina..." she said softly, while the audience murmured. “I stand by what I just said," Dina said, “I know you like to think of yourself as our equal, but the truth is, you're not. I want a decision, and whatever it is we will make it happen. We have a choice in front of us, and without a leader we have already lost either way." The audience made sounds of approval. They were obviously going to support Priskil no matter what her choice was.

The goddess swallowed, placed her white fingers on the table and nodded with her eyes closed. “I..." The words didn't seem to come, and the goddess had revealed her terrible weakness when it came to her husband. The ray of hope Torc had brought into the gathering was tearing her apart. Just entertaining the possibilities was sweet torture. It brought up so many memories, both good and bad. “I want him back so badly, but I have no right to ask this of you..."

“You do, as far as I am concerned," said an old bearded man who seemed on the verge or tearing up, himself. Others were in agreement.

“Is that a ‘yes'?" Dina asked, seemingly indifferent to Priskil's grief. “There is no point on discussing this further until we have your word. The wrong decision may get us all killed, but no decision at all will get us killed for sure in time, and sooner than you expect."

Someone touched Weliardina on the forearm to signal she may be overdoing it, but the woman moved the hand away. If Priskil couldn't handle this much when it got really personal, then they were all doomed. Dina was just being a true friend.

The goddess of radiance wiped a tear in her eye, getting back in control. “You are correct, Dina. I must make my choice and take responsibility for it. And I have to say, the things Jilitse said are all true. The path ahead has no certainties except that our hearts are in the right place. But what pathetic goddess of hope would I be if I let that discourage me? I... I want to try. I know I am asking a lot, but are you with me? Will you stand with me?"

The Order cheered at that.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Xalet on September 4th, 2011, 1:41 am

Xalet listened to Jilitse, again she made good points, but who in the world had the time to entertain all those possibilities? Xalet grew up in an environment surrounded by Knights. You didn't get to question everything, you just did it. If you didn't succeed, then you did it again until you could. There was no such thing as 'could not'. There was 'currently greatly struggling with' but not outright apparent failure. Xalet didn't like to gamble, he didn't want there to be the possibility of ultimate sacrifice, but that was life. Sometimes you went for that big goal and bad things happened. Sometimes that meant death. Sometimes you weren't even attempting anything at all impressive and you died. You just had to do everything you could to succeed.

Weliardina spoke exactly what Xalet had tried to articulate earlier, although he couldn't imagine himself having the kind of forceful social prowess to 'stick it' to Priskil, so to speak. As far as Xalet was concerned there were two choices, either people were going to choose to try, or choose not to try. The difficulty of the task or the amount of possible loose ends changed nothing. Absolutely. Nothing.

Melt a thousand mountains? That sounded to have a difficulty of legendary proportions. Some might have thought it was quite an impossible task, Xalet thought it fortunate not to have to melt two thousand mountains. Weliardina seemed every bit as prepared and it quite remembered him of the many Sergeants back home.

When Priskil spoke that rare smile came out. Xalet's large arms crossed against his chest as they had been sitting for a majority of the various conversations, but they released their grip upon his torso and those gauntlet clad hands clapped. Moral was a powerful thing. "Now we're talking." his voice was lost to the cheering, but it was mainly meant for himself only to hear.

Undead, Nuit, passionless or whatever she was, Jilitse was marked, and Xalet still wanted her to be a part of it if she chose to. He leaned in slightly to speak to her, "I have never been good with 'what if' queries. It would seem, by the applause, neither is anyone else. I knew this would be the result when hope stands before us. Now, later, a hundred years in either direction. This, these people, their choice was never not going to happen." It was times like this that Xalet was quite proud to have his human cultural background. Even if they didn't always trust or accept him, he still existed and absorbed their values. Sometimes, all questions aside, things just had to get done. Stubbornness? Bullheaded? Shortsighted? Whatever. It felt good. "But, I do not know much of mages or wizards, myself. I can't even say I possess all that much intellect. A Sergeant said to me once, 'Sometimes it is only the blind man who can find his way out of the maze'. I can only hope that you will lend whatever talents you possess for this."

Raising his voice enough to once again address Torc, Xalet nodded slightly, "Well, there's the priority you wondered about, Torc Ironwood."
Xalet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jilitse on September 13th, 2011, 10:27 am

OOCI am assuming that Xalet and Amarhyl kind of stayed together.

Amidst the cheers, the Nuit talked to the Syliran Squire. Jilitse whispered to Xalet, one hand covering the side of her mouth as though she was telling him something private, "I cannot help it. Last time I didn't use my head, I ended up with a sword through my body. I won't take another step until it has been planned carefully. Wasting ichor is never a good idea."

She clapped her hands, nodded her head at Priskil's words. She was greatly inspired by Dina's... vigor and courage. An aggressive, take-charge attitude always kept disoriented sheep in line. The Nuit was astonished by the Champion's ability to persuade... or rather, coerce Priskil to be the goddess she is.

The Nuit continued, and threw a look at Amarhyl, "I do wizards a shame, not enough talent, not enough madness. It is said that a good wizard can outmaneuver his opponent without lifting a finger," she was talking about the first ingredient in making Torc Ironwood's godsheart, and the necessity to have a mage destroy a world. Can she suggest Opportunity? Let the mage, if he will, destroy Drainira's base? She threw a fleeting gaze at the half-Isur "I do not trust Torc to keep his head above water. Self-absorbed, proud, passionate. Typical Isur. I'm not really sure how to help. You talk of blind men walking out of mazes, but what happens next?" But to Xalet, "You probably have something better to offer than an undead mage."

"I'm not even sure I want to help."
Less skirmishes with death as much as possible. "But Priskil does this... something to you sometimes. Like the brightest star in the night, gives you something to believe in. An ounce of faith in her gives you a river of courage."

"If my aid will be required, then I shall stray from my own quest."
The Nuit smiled in a very endearing way, it was almost freaky. Maybe she needed time away from her nonsensical pursuit of Sagallius' human past. "My journey would have ended had it not been for Priskil anyway." She asked, more for herself than the others,"What's a little sidequest?"

"How about you, Amarhyl? Do you have time to spare?" The human seemed to be a little bit shy, if not hesitant. At least Xalet had given his intent to join since the beginning. "You seem awfully quiet, quiet than me, and I'm a Nuit." Most undead were untalkative. But then again, Jilitse was not like most undead.

After the crowd settled down, Jilitse let her voice carry itself within the room.

"So, really, what's the game plan?"
I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei

Jilitse

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
GP's Angels (1)

Postby Xalet on September 23rd, 2011, 10:21 pm

OOCYup, I assumed the same thing since we had a bit of a pow-wow before the meeting started :D. Also, oh Toooorc, where are you Torc?

"I will substitute 'ichor' for 'blood' and agree with you." Xalet replied. Being a squire meant reading quite a bit of history, and while not all of it was pertinent to current events, all of it had some intellectual value to it, however faint. Preparedness usually trumped unpreparedness, that was certain. The purple akalak knew the value of a well defined plan, but there was also value to going out there and doing your job. Sometimes you had to have faith that the direction you were facing was the right one. When it wasn't, sometimes you ended up with a sword in your body.

Talent and madness, now were those two things Xalet wished could be easily separated. That much he did know about mages, they often did lose themselves to their craft completely, although he could not understand why. The weapon-masters of Syliras could split the clouds with their skill, but retained a firm grasp on reality. Theirs was perhaps even better than most everyone else, if nothing else than from the sheer discipline needed to continue to relentlessly pursue the physical arts. That was one of the reasons he didn't trust magic, it seemed more like poison than a refinement of one's self. It wasn't that it didn't have a certain usefulness, simply that it didn't seem like anything he would want corrupting his own self. There was enough corruption lying dormant as it was in the form of his dark-half.

"I offer my sword and shield, and all my heart. It is so, just as I have done for my city, for my Patron, and for my family. It is my hope that my sword gets sharper, my shield gets stronger, and my heart stays as it is." Xalet replied. Now that was the more philosophical jargon that necessitated a proper akalak. It seemed Xalet had it in him, somewhere mixed all up with a bunch of military style drilling. "Our discussion has just begun though. I believe my Patron was trying to remark that the path is not always as complicated as it seems. It's best not to get too distracted. If mage's do desire power, I wonder then if there is the same value in awakening a God, as a man believed there was in slaying one."
Xalet

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext