The Game - Gathering the players [Team Dawn, closed]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Re: The Game - Gathering the players [Team Dawn]

Postby Evarette Karmine on January 30th, 2010, 5:45 pm

As she regained her feet and attempted to regain some composure, Evarette's eyes flew across to meet those of deGray. A tentative smile tugged at the corners of her mouth, and she eyed his expectant hand a few moments before placing her own within it. It was not a customary greeting where she came from, though she'd witnessed the foreign exchange several times during her stay at Riverfall...it took some getting used to. "Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'm Evarette, and this," a gesture passed over her shoulder to indicate the Nightwalker behind her, "is Ivar."

A woman approached, then...and Eva's indigo depths widened with surprise as she recognized the lines of a Strider in her mount. Another Drykas? The realization stirred a sense of relief mingled with homesickness within Evarette. Though she was far from home, it seemed that fragments of it followed her no matter how far she strayed. Ivar shifted his position, uttering a low wicker in the direction of the approaching steed, but remained where he was. Returning the woman's smile with one of her own, Eva listened to Alistair's answer to the Drykas woman's query.

"So, that makes us all teammates." Canting her head in deGray's direction, she noted that his eyes seemed...brighter. Golden. Yellow. For further confirmation, she glanced to the other man who'd arrived a step before her, who was currently glowering over a ferret...and his eyes were the same as deGray's. Evarette could only draw the conclusion that her own eyes bore the same resemblance.
Evarette Karmine
My Heart is True as Steel

Words: 62165
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2009, 4:56 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Re: The Game - Gathering the players [Team Dawn]

Postby Alistair deGrey on January 31st, 2010, 5:00 am

Blackened grass crunched beneath Alistair's boot. He had began to pace, a habit. deGrey's mind was racing through scenarios that could occur within the white washed walls of the looming castle. The pale dawn sun illuminated the sheer surface of the curtain walls, and cast its light upon the forsaken woods crowding it. A breeze whistled through the aching branches, the trees jostling from its touch. deGrey breathed it all in. Scents of ashes, of earth, of life, and rebirth. There is something poetic about a forest fire, Its a new beginning, a clean slate to start from. Alistair had heard of trees that only grew after forest fires, but did not know if that was true. After the dust and soot began to clear, a new forest would emerge. Vibrant and new.

Awoken from his reverie by the voice of the woman he now knew as Evarette. Something was different about her now, and deGrey cocked his head as he narrowed his eyes at her. Her eyes had not been yellow beforehand, at least not to this extent. Odd, I wonder... Alistair glanced at the other Drykas, she too had yellow eyes. I hope this has no significance other than one of identification. Regardless, since we appear to be teammates for the time being, I had best acquaint myself better. "Very well then my dearest accompaniments. I do suppose we should get to, er, know each other. It would be exceptional if we could give a brief overview of what it is each of us does." Throughout his entire spiel, which felt quite long to Alistair, the inventor had continued in pacing. But now he stopped and made cold eye contact with each of the three before him "Logically we as a team will all benefit if we run an inventory of our skills, and appoint a leader. As well, if it comes to blows, who will sacrifice innocent status? Although, I sincerely do not want it to come to that."

deGrey idly picked up his cane stamped his cane over a gopher hole, who's resident was most likely dead. Not a sound resounded from the surrounding woods, the fauna of the land having fled the green flames. The four humans and two horses were all that existed in this lonely place. "It seems fitting that whomsoever proposes the idea, also commences it. I am an inventor, I work with machines for a living. I will open confess, I have no fighting skills whatsoever." Alistair walked over to the archway and leaned near his pack. "Ah yes, and I will not be the leader."
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Words: 209442
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2009, 9:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)

Re: The Game - Gathering the players [Team Dawn, closed]

Postby Karona Isenbach on January 31st, 2010, 4:04 pm

Outside the castle, after half an hour

Finding the drawbridge closed to her at the moment, there was nothing else to do but go around and explore the sights. Patrolling to the left side of the castle, she looked like a bloodshot dream beside walls, the crimson of her clothes fiercely burning against the backdrop of thick stone and lifeless, gray water.

What she found pleased her and amused her for the better part of half an hour; there were wide parapets, thick, cyclopean walls with layers of limestone, marble and granite, and perfectly chiseled ramparts. It was to a designer wonderland's worth of extinct archaic architecture, and the solitary figure smiled appreciatively. Indeed, despite her more horrific hobbies and tendencies, the lady of the night is a truly generous patron of the arts back in Syliras.

There was definitely something magical about the castle's suspended state, and this fact did not escape even the magically-disinclined Karona's attention. The lush djed that tainted the air however, refused to hide the trailing scent of several fresh visitors. The half-Symenestra's predatory sense of smell quickly caught on, and her lips curved into an evil smirk.

Karona's feathery steps guided her back, gliding from the grassy incline of the archway to the wooden drawbridge once more. This time the place was teeming with people, each person having a rather wondrous glow in their own flashing eyes. Her glowing orbs themselves feasted on the various personalities to see; Some human males--she could smell the opportunities already, biting her lips as she peered into their faces--two Drykas women and a strange half-breed. She could sense that this man was part Symenestra, which somewhat disappointed her.

The majestically dressed Karona started to come closer, her strange movements surely not lost on the people gathered near her. All about her was the inexplicable aura of darkness, and the glint in her eye connoted that she wasn't really here for what they were.

"Mmmm. So many playmates for me to enjoy." she wickedly mused to herself as she began to move towards the entrance to the structure. She eyed those present with a serene, haunting look as she curtsied herself. "I am Karona Isenbach of Syliras, dear friends. Pleased to meet you all"

The black lust that tainted her mind and the grave-like chill that gripped her her heart coursed by her senses gregariously. Within her she promised to give this game--and her playmates--a very different kind of fun
Last edited by Karona Isenbach on February 1st, 2010, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karona Isenbach
Queen of Terror

Words: 26392
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2010, 5:39 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jaeden Kincade on January 31st, 2010, 10:35 pm

Jaeden looked around at the gathered group. It was a unique dynamic all considering. The tip of his boot gave a subtle tap along the ground, kicking up a small cloud of ash as his gaze then fell to the castle once again. If anything inside would be the measure of what was done to the surrounding lands, then any challenges found within would likely be easy ones.

His attentions then fell back to the group. His attention shifting to Alistair first as he spoke, he seemed a little more strait forward than the others, but intelligent. His gaze then moved to Evarette, who seemed to be good natured and easy to approach for some reason. Looking to Danica, he garnered what he could only guess was a pride and confidence in her demeanor. Devendre caught his eye next, an individual seeming to be intrigued like the others, but in a different way. Lastly, his eyes fell to Karona. While she was as easy on the eyes as the other two females, there was something about her that Jaeden just seemed to find, a little dangerous.

His gaze finally fell to the ground as he once again felt the tug of the ferret at his leg. "Shoo," Jaeden simply said before looking up once again finding that it had fallen silent.

"My name is Jaeden Kincade," Jaeden said, breaking the silence for reasons he wasn't entirely sure of. "I'm a survivalist or hunter by trade and I have a small experience with setting up traps and snares, but I'm not certain such would work in a castle as they likely would be more easily detected than they would be in a forest. While I do have a little experience in the use of a long sword, I don't much like confrontation. I generally only draw it when I'm left with no other choice."

Jaeden then crouched slightly, tossing a piece of dried beef in front of the ferret as it finally stopped pawing at his leg and turned it's attention to the hand out. Looking back up to the group, he then rested his chin along a closed fist. "On the last of inquiries, in all honesty, I should not be leader, as I've no experience in such. I tend to spend more time in the forest than among settlements and cities."

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Words: 824662
Joined roleplay: January 29th, 2010, 2:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Tarot on February 1st, 2010, 10:35 pm

First day, 12th bell

Image The drawbridges were lowered at noon, quickly and without warning. The castle looked deserted, albeit perfectly functional. Its every stone gave off an energy, a power accumulated over centuries of waiting and now released. Released at a great cost indeed. All the participants in the Game were left with the impression that someone was throwing everything he or she had into this monumental undertaking. This castle was meant to reproduce pre-Valterrian architecture - and indeed Alahea had developed advanced castle engineering techniques under Suvan's relentless attacks - but on a closer look it did not look as old and battered as one would expect of a 500 year old structure. In fact, it wasn't too far-fetched to suppose it was no older than one night. No-one could begin to fathom why, though.

At noon, the game was afoot. Invisible forces lifted the portcullis that the drawbridge had revealed, and both Teams were left free to explore the castle in whatever way they wished. The layout of the game board was now clear, though of course neither Team could be sure that the other half of the castle was a mirror image of their own.

The castle was divided into two halves by a segment of the walls cutting through the courtyard. This seemed to prevent direct contact between the Teams for the time being. There were two ways to access the central keep, with the easily accessible door right ahead of them being the more obvious one. They could also climb their way up one of the towers, gain access to the castle walls and enter through the North/South segment of the walls that divided the place in two, where another door awaited. The towers themselves rose quite a bit higher, and made by far the best observation points. They were tall enough that one could probably see most of the other side of the courtyard from the highest vantage point. The central tower was not as tall in comparison.

The adventurers would be greeted into the courtyard by a signpost reading:

"Once upon a time there was innocence."

It was only to be the first in a series of strange sightings and events they would witness here. The keep's main door was where the disturbing surprises began. Next to the heavy oaken door, which seemed to be lacking a keyhole, was a stone pedestal with a beating heart. A small inscription on the pedestal read: "I will stop you until you stop me." A challenge, a dare, a price to pay.

There were quite a few buildings scattered all over the courtyard. Most of them looked empty and unoccupied, though some had simple signs drawing attention to them. One of the largest, sitting against the outer wall just North of the portcullis, was apparently an "Opportunity Shop". A smaller "Question Shop" lay nearby, as well. Less unusual places included a forge, a bakery, a tanner, and what looked like a chapel to the gods. One of the buildings even featured the black door mentioned in the rules, just in case someone had remembered some urgent business in Syliras.

Their destiny was in their own hands now.

OOCSorry if this post is identical for both teams, the next ones won't be. :) Also, I will timestamp my posts with the time of day, so I can synchronize all threads and know the exact timeline of things.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on February 2nd, 2010, 2:43 am

Jaeden had just finished when sounds echoed out. The loud rumble of chains giving slack. The aching sound of wood in drawbridge bending back and forth as it was lowered. The clanking sound of the wench as the portcullis was raised. All of it seemed to last for the longest time as Jaeden just stared in silence. When the sounds finished, he simply looked to his group of teammates and said, "I didn't do that."

Jaeden then slowly made his way to the castle, stopping just inside the portcullis as he observed his surroundings. "Beating heart on a pedestal, not my idea of a enticing first sight," Jaeden muttered under his breath as he further gazed over the courtyard.

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Words: 824662
Joined roleplay: January 29th, 2010, 2:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Evarette Karmine on February 2nd, 2010, 5:37 am

Evarette pulled her bottom lip between her teeth, considering Alistair's words carefully. The man spoke like a well-learned scholarly type, and his pattern with words was...complex. Something about him just sat right with Eva, though. She couldn't find any reason to fault the man's analysis of their situation and present needs...and her indigo depths spun towards the other members of their small group, awaiting their takes on the matter, wondering whether or not any of them would step forward as their leader...

Jaeden Kincade. She attached the name to his face...and what striking features they were, what with his dark hair and pale eyes, and the identifying streak of silver through his hair. Truth be told, Eva had an easier time recollecting the names of horses and hounds. However, presented with such varying degrees of humanity outside of Cyphrus, she was sure to catch on to fresh faces...at least, she hoped so.

"I'm Evarette Karmine," she flashed a quick, hesitant smile, "...Ah, most of what I know has to do with surviving in The Sea of Grass...hunting, tracking, riding..." she counted the skills off across her fingers, and paused, reaching the conclusion that none of these skills really served them all that splendidly in the midst of an enchanted castle. A thoughtful frown pursed her brow, and she dropped her shoulders in a shrug of defeat. "I'm not all that great at fighting, to be honest...but I can talk your ear off, given the chance," she suggested amiably, hoping her attempt at humor would be met with more than a bland look or two. From behind her, Ivar snorted, as though offering the first dose of disdain...

"Perhaps we should settle this leader business with a vote?" she offered, half a smile tugging at the corners of her lips. It seemed the most logical step, to place their fate in the hands of the one they thought to harbor the best leadership potential...

The drawbridge opened. Eva turned, notching a brow at the massive structure, noting the lack of individuals manning it. Magic. It had to be. Anxiety tickled the back of her neck, and Eva leaned against Ivar's massive shoulder for support. Why does there always have to be magic? Evarette thought to herself, exasperated more at her lack of familiarity with it than anything. Magic was so...unpredictable.
Evarette Karmine
My Heart is True as Steel

Words: 62165
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2009, 4:56 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Karona Isenbach on February 2nd, 2010, 2:01 pm

Karona said nothing more to her companions for what seemed like a very long time, simply standing--or rather, floating--in her steps until the sudden drop of the drawbridge stirred her twisted silence. She cared little for the election which they had called for, finding it to be quite dull and uninteresting to listen and immerse into, and as soon as the entrance was revealed she moved in.

Passing through the still stationary members of the group, the crimson-garbed lady observed all things around her. To the far sides were the massive square sides of the twin towers she had noted outside, where a vantage point would surely be found. Right before her was the oak door of the keep, along with the sign post and the pedestal.

The poignant reading that declared the existence of meeker attitudes and characters in a different span of time eked out that repetitive grin of hers; indeed, there once was innocence in life. But it was such a long time ago now, the men of Syliras and the giant memory of her father's disdain did much to discard everything from her. A breath laced with the memory of yesteryears escaped her.

Passing through the massive courtyard all the way to the shadowy keep's great oaken doors, she stood before the pedestal, her golden eyes mired with half-baked curiosity at the beating heart. While the sight was surprising, it did not faze her. Not in the least.

She had, after all, held such things in her very hands before.

Turning to Jaeden, she smiled a sickeningly sweet smile as she pointed to the heart, speaking in a melodiously dark and beautiful voice. "Perhaps one of you darlings might elect to take the heart into safe-keeping? The key might reside in some way within the riddle of it."

Before he could answer however, she began to make her way towards the center of the courtyard, where she raised her hands to her sides and began to spin around in an elegant display, the flashes from her eyes seemingly leaving a circular trail around her as she moved about in a ballroom dance alone. Round, round and round she went for a dozen seconds, her lips fixated in a clear moment of nostalgia.

"Is this not such a grand venue for such a lovely game, my dears?" she laughed, embracing herself lovingly in her own arms like a thoughtful, innocent child upon stopping.
Karona Isenbach
Queen of Terror

Words: 26392
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2010, 5:39 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Devandre on February 2nd, 2010, 6:00 pm

The short man was making his way back to castle, bag in toe filled with new and old goodies. He had tucked his dagger into his pants underneath his cloak, having a feeling he can hold his own without it. “Hold my own? Am I crazy?” He fought with the idea of willingly moving himself into an unfavorable situation. Standing at the edge of the forest looking toward the archway where a group had gathered and stand in wait.

Chuckling to himself, “Hmm, I could get some much needed target practice right now.”
Taking an archer stance with now bow or arrow he thinks to himself, “I can take you out first.” He said as his eyes focused in on a human who looked to be engaging in conversation with casual conversation. “No not you first, you are crouching low I can get you second with ease.”

He shifted his focus to a talkative human facing in Devandre’s general direction, “Yess you’d be first, you have the most potential to see the first shot. I wouldn’t want to give away my position that easily, it is a hunt after all.”

He is abruptly interrupted by the sound of the drawbridge moving down swiftly, the portcullis was next to move up allowing access to the pre-valtarian castle. Devandre watched from a distance as all who had gathered five not including himself. The talkative one and the Drykas did not enter with the crouching human and an other figure that he could not identify other then she looked to be of nobility. Taking a deep breath he approaches the three still outside acting as non-threatening as possible. Within talking distances he begins to speak.

“Are the three waiting to be turned into ssstone? Come on I bet you are tired of looking at it from the outssside.”
His tone sounded friendly but laced with disgust. Devandre passed the three figures beginning to cross over the moat. He fixes his bag full of his personal supplies and a burlap bundle holding his poisonous barbed arrows. His bow worn on his shoulder with a single arrow for ease of access, while walking he makes sure his gauntlets are held tight against his forearm.
Devandre
Player

Words: 39870
Joined roleplay: December 5th, 2009, 6:45 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Alistair deGrey on February 3rd, 2010, 7:53 am

Like a calamitous spawn of the ravaged woods, the woman appeared. Clothing akin to that of royalty adorned her relatively attractive body. Despite her beauty, if was dark, and she was negative. deGrey hated using the word Evil, it rung of false dichotomy. But this woman radiated something dark, in such a way that Alistair was reminded of a fire exuding heat. Her mercurial movements carried her over to the assembly near the entrance. Ugh, how unpleasant Alistair consciously found this woman attractive, which sat very awkwardly with him. It is never an amicable person... His acknowledgment of her beauty strengthened his resolve to not relinquish control near this woman, become as cold as auroral skies. "Mmmm. So many playmates for me to enjoy." Her voice was bitter to Alistair's ears, though it smelled of honey. "I am Karona Isenbach of Syliras, dear friends. Pleased to meet you all" deGrey did not speak to Karona, but simply reoriented his attention to the male who arrived earlier as he began to speak.

For much of the conversation he had been harassing a ferret, somehow chased into this devastated portion of the wilderness. The man identified himself as Jaeden Kincade, a man of the great wilds. His profession was of the rangers and survivalists of the forest: hunting, trapping, tracking... If deGrey had any say in the decision making process, he knew that Jaeden would end up near the front. He may be out of his element, but a tracker is a tracker is a tracker. Even if by nothing else, deGrey was mildly appreciative of the man's disdain for combat. It is a good stance, one of last resort, of battle in the face of failed diplomacy. Kincade, as befitted his trade, became a chameleon to deGrey as Evarette began to speak.

Evarette's pleasant voice was quick to inform Alistair of her general incompetence. It would not be unreasonable to suggest, that she is nearly as useless as I. Alistair tapped his index finger over his closed mouth, one of many habits he had acquired over the years. deGrey was silently making mental notations of the words Evarette spoke; doing his best to memorize every word of her liquid voice. Hunting, tracking, riding, useless... deGrey sincerely hoped the lovely Drykas before him was very resourceful, or very innocent. Evarette stapled a clever remark to her minute monologue, managing to arouse a snort from Ivar and the same cold look from Alistair. It was not often that Alistair warmed up to people immediately, and Evarette was no exception; however, the rule of chances was what deGrey had taken away from previous experiences with people. No matter how incompetent, incoherent, or impossibly flawed one is, one always deserves the chance to remedy their wrongs. But now was not the time to mention these sorts of things to Evarette. Regardless, deGrey knew nothing of the woman, perhaps he should learn more of her before he demanded absolution.

The portcullis now rattled as it autonomously rose from its resting position. The newborn sound tossed about the forest, startling a few nearby birds. deGrey wrinkled his nose with discomfort. It seemed that the game was beginning regardless of their preparation. He glanced around at the remaining two as Karona slithered through the archway, Kincade moving in as well. deGrey waited a few seconds, was on this rare occasion going to give the women the courtesy of going first; however, an occurrence disrupted him. From the brush emerged a short man, pumping his way past the three,
“Are the three waiting to be turned into ssstone? Come on I bet you are tired of looking at it from the outssside.”
. The Dhani continued into the courtyard with naught another word. deGrey peered into the area with a raised eyebrow. Buildings, tower, another, keep, walls and parapets... wait. deGrey noticed the wall that connected the central keep to the curtain wall, and stepped into the courtyard. "Hmm....
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Words: 209442
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2009, 9:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2

PreviousNext