The Game - Gathering the players [Team Dawn, closed]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Re: The Game - Gathering the players [Team Dawn, closed]

Postby Jaeden Kincade on February 11th, 2010, 12:13 am

Jaeden slowly stood up from the ground, his hand reaching out and stopping just short of the castle walls. He could feel the vibrations that emanated from it without even touching the wall itself. A slow release of breath was given as he drew his hand back, letting it fall to his side.

A quick turn was then taken as he began making his way back towards the center of the courtyard. "No tracks at all," Jaeden announced to the group. "Whether that's because the magics that made this place appear erased any sign of them, or because there was none to begin with I haven't a clue."

Jaeden paused as he looked towards Karona and Devandre. His gaze then traveled to the white flag that flapped in the cold winds above before his attention was then grabbed by the sound of the main door opening. When he noticed Karona observing her hand as the tear appeared he just gave a small shrug before muttering under his breath, "Don't know her that well, but for some odd reason, I'm not surprised."

Jaeden then looked to the others as he swung his backpack off his shoulder, digging his hand inside. "I don't know hardly anything about architecture, even less about pre-Valterrian architecture, but I do have a certain survival instinct," Jaeden then explained as he pulled out an excessive amount of rope, "and I can say this: The sense I get from this place tells me we should try to be done, one way or another, before the three days is up."

Slipping his backpack back on, Jaeden then slung the rope over his head and under his arm, Jaeden then looked to Evarette and Danica. "If one of you lovely ladies would be so kind as to check out the opportunity shop, I would be appreciative," Jaeden said before making his way over towards the door.

Jaeden stopped just short of the archway as he gazed slowly and carefully over the room. He looked towards the armor first, noticing the shields, but looking more carefully for weapons any of the suits may brandish. He hadn't been in there anymore than ten minutes, and Jaeden already suspected the worse, most likely the armors coming alive or something.

His gaze then fell to the floor, using what lighting the torches provided to observe possible loose stones that would trigger something. Watching one's step took on a greater meaning here in the long run Jaeden suspected. It should be expected that, aside from certain puzzles and riddles similar to the beating heart, there would be hidden traps as well.

Finally, Jaeden's gaze broadened, as it kept shifting around the entire room. He looked for any hint of movement aside from the shadows, which danced with every flicker the flames of the torches provided. Jaeden's thumb hooked around the rope over his body as he released a sigh. "Had I known I was coming to a place like this, I would have purchased a grappling hook and just tried to scale the side of this castle," Jaeden simply said before his free hand reached to the hilt of his sword.

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Words: 824662
Joined roleplay: January 29th, 2010, 2:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Devandre on February 12th, 2010, 1:45 am

Devandre grinned to himself, a bittersweet taste in his mouth. The bitterness of the unknown; was he a sinner? The sweetness being one step closer to whatever lay awaiting the small group of people. A loud click sounds and his attention is drawn to the central tower. His height kept him from seeing the object fully at his current distance, but he caught a glimpse of a white flag with red lettering on it. He shuffled further back so that he could make out the words better. Although a bit blurred he could make out the letterings “One Sinner.”

As he grinned to himself, he still wasn’t sure who had gotten the mark as a sinner, he knew that it was either himself or Karona the dear symenestra who seemed to be just as twisted if not more twisted then himself. He did however feel a twinge of guilt making her a sinner. The feeling would have been greater however; if he wasn’t so sure she didn’t really care about her fate or the prize at the end. This he thought to himself could be a blessing and a curse balled up into one mass of flesh called Karona. If she didn’t care about being a sinner that meant she could be used to do some of the dirty work.

“No,” He thought to himself. “That wouldn’t be fair to her, to anyone really. She at least has given us an advantage. Unlike others, who have chosen to strategize and waste time.”

His had turned in the direction Karona had gone off to into the hall of armor, “Your ssacrifice is greatly appreciated maiden and I will join you in a moment. But for now you have a valiant tracker to have fun with.”

Devandre thought further, “The ones who have plans are the weakest, they are unprepared when their precious plans are lost. In this situation the best plans are the ones that are made on the spot.”

Thinking to himself as he glided toward the talking Drykas. Going off of what Karona’s words had hinted, these two needed some motivation.

“However the ones that have plans pre made are great assets to those who are impulsive, they make great shields.” He finished his thought now stopped within earshot of the Drykas.

“You Dryka ladiesss.” He said passively laced with seriousness.

“I have a question for you both.” Looking up at them then their horses.

“What if I were to shatter your horssesss four legsss? Shattering their bonesss causing the whites of bone surface pass the flesh and fur. What would you do with your animalsss?” He spoke with a bit of a grin only a sadist could the thought pleasing to him.

“Let me repeat, what would you do with you animal? I am long gone by now.”
He paused for a moment and did not wait for a response.

“You’d kill them right? Take them out of their misery?” The grin slowly fades; someone who enjoys their previous jobs never wants them to end.

“You know from what I have heard and have obssserved by your passive behaviorsss, you two in my eyess are two broken legsss of a horsse.” His arms move up mimicing holding a bow and arrow, pointed directly at Evarette holding it.

“The way I ssee it two broken legs could drag thiss magnificent horsse down to its demisssse. Why don’t we stop playing politicss and have you prove to the team you are worth your weight, go explore a bit with that guys the tracker and Karona, she didn’t just open the door and become marked as a sssinner just for her own sselfish wantssss.”

He realize that it probably was her real reason onto why she cursed the heart, but the two most likely didn’t know that at the time, he wasn’t certain. Finished with what he had to say he starts to walk toward the shops in search for the smarter one of the bunch the one who took the time to explore the strange vacant buildings. But he soon stopped mid stride turning around as a second fleeting thought crossed his jumbled mind.

“Also be grateful that you both are ssstill walking, breathing, I would have killed you both by now. The only thing that sssaved you from certain death isss my increassing curiossity onto what is at the end of the journey. Prove yourselvesss as team playerss and I may sspare you from a hunt I may conduct at the conclusion of thiss Game, filled with game.” Most of what he had said was a bluff, but it was his way, although jaded and sloppy version of a pep talk, go team dawn.
Devandre
Player

Words: 39870
Joined roleplay: December 5th, 2009, 6:45 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Evarette Karmine on February 12th, 2010, 2:09 am

Eva shuddered as Karona and the cold one bore down upon the heart...as soon as the pulsating organ was plucked from it's resting place, she averted her eyes. She was no stranger to the sight of blood and flesh layed open. She had cut and cleaned many a kill before now. However, something about the sigh of the human heart twisted her gut, and she cared not to linger over it's fate for very long.

Ivar shifted, tossing his broad skull and pinning his ears back in agitation. Eva layed a cool hand upon his shoulder, side-stepping out of the range of his large hooves as they struck the yard in a series of dancing steps...as though he were contemplating flight. Something did not meet his tastes, and Evarette was inclined to trust his instincts. It was then the voice came...

"You feel responsible for them, don't you? They are here on your whim. Sensitive, and vulnerable. You are the weakest links. Perhaps you should just quit while you can..."

Her fingers found a dark coil of Ivar's mane, and twisted themselves into it almost subconsciously. Sensing her distress, Ivar snorted...but his dancing did subside. Ears still pinned, he followed Eva as she retreated to the center of the courtyard, where she met Jaeden again. He seemed to be searching for something...and dissatisfied with his findings.

"If one of you lovely ladies would be so kind as to check out the opportunity shop, I would be appreciative."

Jaeden's request was reasonable enough. Evarett's eyes traveled to the dilapidated sign, laced in speculation. Before a step was taken in the shop's direction, however, she was brought up short by the cold one again. His lisped dialect and oily words made her uneasy...she narrowed her sapphire eyes at the man as he unraveled his query...and her mouth tightened in a frown.

"If we're supposed to work as a team, I suggest you cease threatening your teammates," she quipped, her eyes growing cold as she made to move around the man. "You need us just as much as you need her..." Eva's eyes slid in Karona's direction, noting the ruby mark on her hand and the delight suffusing her expression. Auburn brows knit into an expression of concern, she ducked away from the cold one, striding pointedly towards the Opportunity Shop...Ivar stepping solidly alongside her.
Evarette Karmine
My Heart is True as Steel

Words: 62165
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2009, 4:56 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alistair deGrey on February 12th, 2010, 2:44 am

The plaque before Alistair caught his eye. Prickles ran up his skin as he read the example question posed to him. Reeks of magic, I do not enjoy the stench. He examined the three rules of usage for the Question Shop, committed them to memory. Alistair moved to write "Which of Alistair's teammates has been plotting to kill him" on the middle egg, but caught himself. The question did not sit well with him, he wanted to know the answer. What if it has a few strands of truth to it? However, Alistair refused to waste one of his questions on suspicion. Not yet, at least. It burned in the back of his mind though, made him wonder.

Alistair paused for a moment, brought his index finger to his upper lip and tapped it absently. There is a viable idea. deGrey did not know nearly enough about the castle to crack these eggs yet, there was too much ambiguity involved and it did not set well with the man. He took off his pack and placed it on the wooden table. A quick flip of the switch on his cane and a knife revealed itself. deGrey reached into the pack and pulled out the top of his rope. He quickly began sawing away at the rope, cutting off a small piece. Forcefully he shoved the rope into the inkwell, hoping it would act as a plug. He placed these off to the side. He was about to pick up the eggs, but recollections of the fragility of eggs came to mind. If these precious diviners were to be lost before he was ready, deGrey would be furious.

He made to pull off his shirt, but hesitated. Pink swirls and shapes prickled on his torso, reminding him of a past he'd rather cast to the wind. Alistair pursed his lips but relinquished his inhibitions, regardless of his discomfort. Anything to win, I suppose. His shirt slid off his torso, exposing his lean chest. He had put on several pounds since moving to Syliras, but he was still below average weight. His skin was riddled with spirals and glyphs, angry pink from the cruel curiosity of his teacher. deGrey put the shirt in the bottom of his pack, and placed an egg in the center. Next he folded one side of his shirt over that egg, and placed the other two in. Over this he folded the other side, it barely covered one egg. Alistair grabbed his cane, retracting the blade. Before leaving the shop, deGrey closed his pack and gently lifted it onto his back.

Outside the shop, Alistair took a few steps over to the smaller Opportunity Shop. He noticed Evarette moving towards the shop as well, but did not wait before opening the door of the second shop. Something new awaited him.
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Words: 209442
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2009, 9:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2

Postby Devandre on February 15th, 2010, 2:57 pm

Hissing in an uncaring way, only half listening to what Evarette had to say. Something about other people needing things,or he needing, Karona? Devandre couldn't help but chuckle at the thought, "Me need Karona? Fancy that thought, fornicating with a women who'd probably sssnip it off when done." Said to no one but himself and low enough that the voice doesn't carry far.

His slitted eyes watched as Evarette turned away and started walking toward the opportunity shop. He also noticed the strange man coming from the question shop. He thinks to himself, "At least he is doing something productive and look the dryka is going to the opportunity shop. Maybe I should sign up as a volunteer teacher at that orphanage?" Rolling his eyes at the thought of working at the human farm, he began backing up and leaving to the hall, he said one last thing. "Dryka it is wise to not turn your back to a snake, you may get bitten."

It wasn't said as a threat but more of a passive statement that seemed to hold little merit, but in reality covered a snake in the grass.

In only a few beats, Devandre returned to the now opened door and into the hall that housed many suits of armor. Having inspected each of the suits he noted each had a weapon and a shield. Etched in their shields an emblem from a pre-valterrian kingdom, one that escaped Devandre's mind.

Two weapons caught his eyes one was Karona, he chuckled softly at his wit. Walking over to a suit of armor, the cold hands moved up to grip a mace. The way it was manufactured made it look like a scepter with a large ornamental jewel on the top. Unlike the armor it looked rugged, the metal looked like cast iron but Devandre wasn't sure. His hands gripped around the base of the weapon before pulling hard. The sound of clinking metal filled the hall as he struggled and wiggled the weapon free from the posing suit of armor.

Finally he unsheathed the weapon from the armors gauntlet with a loud clank, and a welcomed grunt from the short man. The mace's end went to the ground as Devandre leaned against it taking a break. "Well now the thing didn't want to let go." He talks to himself.

He straightened up and brought the mace up and onto his shoulder without the bow on it. Even though the bow was well made, one little nick on the back of the bow could compromise it's integrity, which will cause an unneeded shattering of his weapon. He continued walking around within the hall and noted that the human was being very cautious, inspecting the floor. Devandre found that to be a little strange, but then again the entire situation was strange. A perfect Pre-Valterrian castle that seemed to have sprung up in one night, everything reeked of suspicion to Devandre.
Karona was doing her thing, a marked sinner without a care in the world. After fallowing the human's (Jaeden) steps with his yellowed slitted eyes he finally talks to him.

"You find anything of use on the ground,"
Trying a different approach with this person his lips curl into a strange Cheshire like smile, his attempt at looking accommodating.
Devandre
Player

Character sheet

Postby Tarot on February 15th, 2010, 11:01 pm

First day, 12th bell and 25 chimes

Jaeden, Devandre, Karona - the Keep

The suits of armor did not come to life - not yet, at least. They were pretty lenient in allowing Team Dawn to deprive them of their weapons and accessories, and all in all the corridor did not yield anything overly exciting for any of them unless they had an interest in martial antiquities and other collectibles. Maybe the whole corridor had been designed to tickle their paranoia for the sheer amusement value of it. It wasn't a long corridor, either: it actually ended abruptly with an ornate double door large enough to let two or three people pass at the same time.

But this was perhaps the second or third thing they would notice. Most likely, they would spot the figure standing in front of the door before anything else. He/she was wearing exquisite red brocades that would not look out of place on royalty, shiny black shoes the likes of which were all but unknown in the harsh post-Valterrian reality, and a white porcelain mask. One half of the mouth was smiling like a comedy mask would, the other half showed a deep frown like a tragedy mask. Whoever this person was, he or she was standing still, as if waiting to be approached.

Six masks hung from hooks on the wall around the double doors, right behind the figure. Small plaques named and identified each.

The white, frowning female mask was "Iolanda, the Princess."

The red, frowning male mask was "Fyodor, Iolanda's Champion."

The yellow, smiling female mask was "Shayra, Iolanda's Maid."

The green, smiling male mask was "Valery, the Jester."

The blue, frowning female mask was "Queen Eugenia, Iolanda's Mother."

The black, frowning male mask was "Rodosius, the Old Advisor."

Somehow it felt like this was the beginning of the Game proper. Everything up to this point had been mere preparation.

Alistair and Evarette - Opportunity shop

The Opportunity shop was a large, but mostly empty one-story building with the occasional row of shelves against the far wall. It was not too far-fetched to imagine it was a perfect mirror of an identical shop available to the other team.

The shelves contained scrolls neatly arranged inside leather tubes. Plaques indicated the intended usage for each.

Opportunity shop: usage

1) Any participant to the Game may carry any amount of scrolls, but may only use one scroll throughout the Game.
2) Recite the formula and have the targets willingly identify themselves. Nothing will happen until the targets have agreed to it.

As for the scrolls themselves, they came in three varieties of which there were more than they could ever hope to use. The three types could not be told apart from the outside as they all looked identical. It was up to the carrier to remember which pile they got each scroll from.

1) Scroll of sacrifice. A Sinner regains Innocence, at the cost of a team member volunteering to leave the Game altogether.
2) Scroll of banishment. If all remaining Innocents reach consensus, they can banish a Sinner from their team and from the Game.
3) Scroll of betrayal. The reader can defect to the enemy team, provided at least one of its members is willing to sponsor him or her. Defection is a sin.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Jaeden Kincade on February 16th, 2010, 5:55 am

Jaeden gazed over at Devandre for a short moment as he fiddled with the armor, causing a bit of noise in the process. A glance over his shoulder was then given to Karona, but nothing was said idly before he began making his way down the corridor, his sight shifting from one area to the next.

His steps would then pause for a moment as he observed the regally dressed individual standing in front of the large double doors at the end. Another slow look around was given to search for other avenues of travel aside from the obvious. When none was found immediately, he looked to the lone individual in the room once again before slowly resuming his steps towards him.

Jaeden stopped six feet away from the gentleman standing in front of the large doors, looking over each of the masks for a long moment, reading their respective plaques. The number of them matched the number in the group, as did the gender ratios. Such led Jaeden to believe that each of them would be donning a mask and playing a role, but in the end it didn't quite sit right with Jaeden.

There was so much about this game and especially the magics behind it he didn't understand. He knew next to nothing of magic short of the fact that it as much power as it granted one, so did the danger to the user who wielded it. If they were to put on these masks, who's to say that there weren't any magical properties within them to change the personality of the wearer to more suitably fit the role of the individual the mask was titled for.

His gaze finally fell to the gentleman standing at the doors, the thumb of his right hand hooking his belt not far from the hilt of his longsword. He would hear the masked man's explanation first, and then wait for the others thoughts on such before proceeding. "Good afternoon," Jaeden said to the man in common greeting.

"Hopefully he's not some noble who thinks that I'm some peasant that should be whipped for even looking at him," Jaeden thought to himself suddenly after greeting the individual.

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Words: 824662
Joined roleplay: January 29th, 2010, 2:10 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Karona Isenbach on February 16th, 2010, 2:30 pm

The heavy armor did not come to life as expected, nor was her question answered by the persona whom she was more than sure was behind all of it, but the dark lady of Syliras remained unmoving in her observations, until the clatter of footsteps to her left returned her to the reality of her present lot.

The flutter of Karona's eyes returned to the far end of the corridor the moment her peripheral vision caught sight of the illuminated spectacle. Retracting back to her full height at last, that lurid, sickeningly sweet smile of hers started to sport one of an even darker fascination.

"Well well. A theatre of tragedy, is it?" she mused over to herself, a more discreet version of her gloriously evil laughter following her as she descended deeper into the corridor towards the figure and Jaeden. There she feasted on the glowing faces adorning the wall, thinking exactly as Jaeden did. She did not speak a word to him, save for a hint of sensuality masked behind the golden glow of her irises in a momentary turn to his face. Taking out her fan once more to play to a more fitting and coy display, she covered the lower side of her mouth as she regally curtsied to the figure sporting grand attire much like her own.

"Majordomo", she acknowledged the androgynous one, remaining in her polite posture for a few seconds before recoiling. Judging from the scheme and nature of this game as well as its perceived manipulator, she knew there was a part for each to play in this little game. Perhaps it was some ancient lost play that the Alaheans used to perform for entertainment? Or maybe even a true event that would dictate the fate of each character who chooses his or her character faultily? Whatever it was, the sight of the exactness of each mask to each of the six members in their cadre placed emphasis on the more controlling aspects of the great manipulator. It was as if he was truly toying with their minds now, and in the blackness of her heart and soul, she welcomed the divine perusing with fancy.

Her lithe, graceful body shook slightly with gleeful anticipation as she took in the sight of each mask; she already knew which part there was for her to have. One she had been licking her chops to play for the longest time now.

"Majordomo, tell us your story, that we may faithfully fulfill these parts that hold the cards to our destinies." she whispered, her eyes settling on the pallidly ominous sockets of its own mask.
Karona Isenbach
Queen of Terror

Words: 26392
Joined roleplay: January 24th, 2010, 5:39 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Alistair deGrey on February 20th, 2010, 4:04 am

The room was blank, with the notable exception of the far wall which housed many scrolls tucked away on several sets of shelves. deGrey moved inside, examining the space around him. His eyes snagged on a pair of plaques mounted on the walls. Interesting, now it is a question of doing what is prudent or what is moral? What is my desire to win? Alistair shimmied one of the hundreds of scrolls out of its leather casing, examining it for features that might be of interest. Curiosity pulled him to the other shelves, pulling a scroll from each. Identical scrolls, this could become problematic if caution is not exercised... For now though, deGrey put them all back in the order he had pulled them; Evarette could not be far off

Suddenly aware of his partial nudity, deGrey hastily sat his backpack down in a corner and pulled out his now wrinkled tunic. He quickly slipped the fabric through his belt and went about his business, very much so disheveled. deGrey now faced the issue of Evarette. Do I really delude myself into thinking she will allow me to take resources that might allow me to betray them? Better yet, do I even want said resources? I doubt that dark lady or her doltfish would hesitate to use them. deGrey shook his head, maybe he would bring it up with Evarette. But a look of doubt remained, do I really want a confidante?
Alistair deGrey
Wulgaru given Breath

Words: 209442
Joined roleplay: December 25th, 2009, 9:48 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2

Postby Devandre on February 21st, 2010, 3:38 am

The other and Karona both moved further into the hall and out of his sight. Eyes travel back to the armor where he sees his reflection and for once his yellowed eyes. Hands moved up to trace over the brow of his eye socket admiring the slitted yellow pupils. "If only they were permanent." He said to himself as he wondered away from the armor and toward where the others had left to.

as he wandered cautiously, his new souvenir poised on his shoulder but read to be used at a moments notice. Even though you couldn't tell from the outside, Devandre was more uneasy. Being outside with magic around him was one thing but moving into the magic seemed against his own better judgment. His fraying cloak gently grazed the floor of the living history of the castle.

Soon the flame lights of torches lit another door and another obstacle. This obstacle was something quite strange. A strange statue like figure, dressed in a fabric fit only for royalty. This however was not what interested Devandre most, the strange figure had a mask on half sad and half happy. Smiling slowly as he tries to figure out what in the world could be wanted of them. Six masks adorned the wall, all quite different then the other not only in shape and color but names, Devandre observed. Standing to the right of Karona he turned his head and looked up at the pale skinned lady. "What do you think we do Queen Eugenia?"
Devandre
Player

Character sheet

PreviousNext