Intriguing Introductions Incognito (Hadrian)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Venidus Larkspur on August 8th, 2011, 5:00 pm

66th of Summer – 511 AV

Ravok, defiantly existing in the midst of untainted nature, stood in the center of its lake like any other day. The mild summer weather warming the bones of an unusual guest to its streets. A Symenestra, Venidus Larkspur, navigated the streets attracting more eyes than he would have liked. Ravok was a difficult city to live in regardless of race, but being anything but human made survival in the city... inconvenient. Harassment seemed inevitable and slavery lurked around every corner. The Symenestra preacher brandished bruises he had received for “giving a funny look” to a group he hadn’t even seen.

Today, like every other day, Venidus had no plans, no meetings, and no purpose. He wandered the streets of Ravok merely to understand the essence of evil and soak in any information that may aid his work with the Rising Dawn. Still, there was no definitive purpose. The aforementioned reasons were more byproducts than the source. He was oddly aware of his surroundings, his mind still thawing from a particularly chilly night. A path sprouting from an alley across the canal caught his attention.

The path called to Venidus due to a gut feeling rather than anything observable. His journeys often consisted of him just wandering with intuition as his guide. He peered down the canal and then looked the other way. In lieu of a bridge, Venidus jumped on a nearby Ravosala and then leapt off to the walkway on the other side. The passengers and driver shouted curses that faded as buildings began to separate them, but the Symenestra hadn’t heard any of their words. His mind properly thawed, he was now lost in frivolous thoughts.

As usual, it led nowhere. The sun now hovered at the center of the sky, heralding midday. Just as Venidus began feeling the tendrils of hunger wrap around his stomach, a powerful shove sent him sprawling against the wall. This particular path was empty. In any other city, it was probably not ideal to be mugged in an empty street, but in Ravok, a Symenestra an empty street meant an easier escape.

Today’s assailants were a group of three young men, almost children. One look and Venidus could tell that slavery seemed the most likely threat. The combination of a thuggish appearance and some expensive trappings seemed indisputable proof. Another blow came from a steel rod. The Symenestra’s fragile frame collapsed under the heavy blow. A kick to face sent him reacquainted him with the wall. They were stronger and Venidus tended not to carry around his crossbow on days like these. One of the men said something and grabbed Venidus by the arm, lifting him to his feet.

In an instant, Venidus was bounding away, having used his agility and innate acrobatic skills to dive and roll between a gap his assailants made. He was fast and soon put enough distance between him and the three slavers to slow to a walk. His nose was bleeding and the steel blow to his shoulder may have dislocated or sprained it, but in comparison to other days, he had escaped without much harm. He made his way to quieter and emptier part of the city and slumped against a wall. He needed a moment to regain his energy.
Last edited by Venidus Larkspur on August 31st, 2011, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venidus Larkspur
Player

Words: 68455
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2011, 8:16 am
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet

Postby Hadrian on August 10th, 2011, 3:54 am

Hadrian was not the ablest spy, though he was surprised at how he took to certain aspects of it. When he walked past one alley, he saw a small gang of youths roughing up a Symenestra. He was not proud of walking past, but he knew a bit of the lay of the land in racist Ravok. If he got in trouble, he would be letting down his friends, and placing them in danger, and that he could not do. He paused, though, around the corner, leaning up in a shaded doorway, closing his eyes and reaching out with his Auristic vision, dimmed somewhat for passing through stone and wood until he was locked onto the Symenestra, observing how each injury affected his aura, and promising himself he would act if it began to flicker and fade.

To his surprise, that aura rushed toward him, and his eyes opened just in time to see the man flee. Recovering his wits as quickly as possible, he moved off in pursuit, balancing his pace between the need for speed and the need to avoid detection. Trailing that aura even when the sight of him was obscured, he found him in yet another alley, which hardly seemed wise.

When he came to the mouth of the dead-end, he let his feet fall more heavily so the man would know he wasn't sneaking up on him. His pale, long-fingered hands were held up to show he carried no weapon.

"You lost those bravos, but do you really think it prudent to hide in another alley?" he asked gently, trying to be humorous. Andry Ellis was humorous, but he was also less help than Hadrian Aelius. Sometimes.
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Venidus Larkspur on August 10th, 2011, 5:03 am

The bruised and battered Symenestra glanced up at the footsteps ready to flee again. The man’s palms were exposed, revealing no weapons and peaceful intentions. Still, slavers had many ways of gathering their herd. The man had eyes and a voice, more than enough for a hypnotist... Venidus narrowed his eyes suspiciously and bit his lip. Friends were worth their weight in Mizas in Ravok, but foes were as numerous as flies.

I really need to start carrying around my crossbow... That would help me take care of gnats...

Venidus pushed himself up so he was standing on his own two feet. The man before him was quite tall for his kind. In fact, their eyes were of even height despite different proportions. He spoke, his voice lacking the contempt and haughtiness of Ravok’s population. The preacher figured the man may even be an outsider, but that certainly did not exempt him from Venidus’s slaver suspicions.

Venidus spoke slowly, eyes stilled narrowed suspiciously at the stranger, “Humor... That’s rare in Ravok... or at least when it’s not at my expense. There are two kinds of people in Ravok... those who want to kill me and those who wish to sell me. I don’t see a way you could kill me so...”

Venidus tried to look noble and proud, but he needed to cradle his throbbing arm. His tongue rolled around his broken canine tooth lost in thought. In the darkness of Ravok, friend and foe can’t be discerned from a distance. One must wait until they feel a dagger in their back or a friendly hand on their shoulder.

The Symenestra’s eyes widened suddenly, realizing something about the tall man’s words, “You saw me getting roughed up? Which begs the question... How did you follow me if those thugs didn’t? I figure I am quicker than you and I went out of my way to cover my path, which means you have some sort of trick. So which of us truly lacks prudency?”

By the end, his voice was a mix of teasing and reproach.
Venidus Larkspur
Player

Character sheet

Postby Hadrian on August 10th, 2011, 6:55 am

He saw distrust in the man's aura, which was natural, but he seemed merely to be guarded rather than outright hostile. All the same, Hadrian didn't get too close, gave him plenty of space to nurse his wounds. Anyway, he wasn't a healer. What could he do? Perhaps brew a philtre that would help, but he hadn't the means here at hand. He edged toward the wall of one of the buildings, leaving an escape route clear should Venidus feel the need to flee. He relaxed a bit himself; if Venidus tried to get him in trouble, it would likely backfire. Who in Ravok would believe an immigrant from Kalinor over a human?

He smiled and shrugged at the comment about humor. Anyway, it only seemed to have disarmed the man for a moment.

"I suppose I'm better at following than you are at running away, but believe it or not I wanted to make sure you were all right. I wouldn't have been any help against them physically, anyway." There, honesty. He was honest when he could afford to be in Ravok. "I don't bear you any particular hatred for your race, and I abhor needless violence, but I abhor violence against myself more." He smiled again, an unapologetic shrug for his self-interest in that regard.

His dialect, for those versed in the different forms of Common, marked him as a traveler from Zeltiva, a city known for the sophistication of higher education and an openness to new ideas brought through its port from faraway cities. Ravok, on the other hand, sat on its island like a fruit rotting in the sun.

"Are you all right?" he asked. "If not, I can take you someplace for medical attention. You might have to pose as my lippy slave, though, and we'll say I beat you for your insolence."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Venidus Larkspur on August 10th, 2011, 8:17 am

Venidus stared into the Hadrian’s eyes as if he had some means of reading body language, which he didn’t. I don’t feel like I’m being hypnotized... but I guess I wouldn’t if I was too... if that makes any sense. His words still sound like a slaver’s but I feel there is little harm in trusting him. It’s not like he presents much of a threat physically... The Symenestra smirked.

Venidus’s words were cold but not entirely unfriendly, “I wouldn’t make a habit of showing interest in a minority’s physical wellbeing while in Ravok lest you wish to be mistaken for a slaver. Most people will tend to our wounds just so we fetch a higher price on the market.”

The Symenestra examined the human once again. Trying to gather some sort of information from his appearance of speech. Humans essentially sounded the same to the Venidus, but perhaps the man was from Zeltiva. Venidus had spent countless hours with the surrogates in Kalinor and had become somewhat knowledgeable in regards to dialects, but he still wasn’t quite an expert.

With an exasperated sigh Venidus decided he would take a shot at introductions, “I am Venidus Larkspur. I’m from Kalinor... obviously. I guess I should be thankful for your concern. I shouldn’t need any medical help. I apologize for being so suspicious.” In truth, the preacher was still quite suspicious, but the man seemed nice enough to talk to.

The preacher wiped off the crimson blood leaking from his nose, leaving a faint red smear on his pale skin. Venidus brought his hand back to his nose to keep the blood from running down his face and into his mouth. The sight and some of the taste reminded him of Kalinor.
Venidus Larkspur
Player

Character sheet

Postby Hadrian on August 12th, 2011, 5:54 am

"Your fears are valid," he said and shrugged. "I'll leave you be if that's your wish." But seeing the injured Symenestra, he felt a tug within himself and wondered if it was the blood-bond with Vizyous, or if that had faded with time and separation.

"A Symenestra saved my life in Alvadas once," he said. "Well, I like to think we saved each other's lives." They had bested, or at least weathered, the house of mirrors and come out feeling like they were connected. Vizyous had even come to Syliras, donated his blood freely to help power an enchantment that he laid upon some jewels for the Knights to help them retain unit cohesion, the better to combat Ravok and here he was, spying.

"Anyway..." He stepped away from the wall, turning to leave. "I'll let you find your way home. I'm sure you don't want me knowing where you live." He tried to laugh, but the city gave even harmless humor an unintended edge, and he felt a little dirty for saying it.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Venidus Larkspur on August 14th, 2011, 7:34 am

Hadrian’s offer to leave sent waves of relieve over the Symenestra’s internal flames of anxiety. Venidus’s paranoia had made the interaction with the seemingly friendly man incredibly taxing. It was hard to feel comfortable in Ravok, and his paranoia made it impossible. The fact that he had no friends in the city made it even worse. There were no shoulders to lean on or comforting words... there was only darkness and bitter desolation.

Hadrian turned to leave and the relief was replaced by fear. The stranger had become a beacon of hope in perpetual darkness. His friendliness offered an escape from the bleakness that had permeated every nook of his soul. The light, which he had hardly noticed through the shroud of terror, was fading as the kind stranger granted his request.

Fear turned to panic quickly enough along with a large amount of guilt. Not only was Venidus now alone but the stranger was probably too. The Symenestra tried to call after him but the conflicting and relatively intense emotions caught the words in his throat. His long pale arm shot out and grabbed the tall man at the elbow as if Venidus were about to drown or fall. The act was more desperate than aggressive, but the preacher still reddened with embarrassment.

Such a fool I am! My fickle inconsistency will be the death of me one of these days. Still... The man has been saved by one of my own kind. Perhaps he is good... perhaps he is special if a Symenestra deemed his life worth saving.

Venidus still wasn’t entirely sure what he was doing, his actions a result of fear and desperation more than anything else. His actions and words always just a step ahead of his logic and reason. The words were fast and he stumbled over the beginning of every sentence, “N-no! I-I... I am living in the cheap rooms at Tarsin’s. S-s-s-so... Yeah I am fine with you knowing where I live.”

Venidus made a face as if he were watching himself flounder awkwardly without half a brain. You simpleton! The “not knowing where you live” thing had been a jest... Maybe this is why I don’t have any friends in Ravok...

The preacher’s pale skin was crimson with shame, shame from the weakness he was showing, shame from the way he was grasping for a friend, and shame from the way he had treated Hadrian. The more he thought about it, the more he realized how truly pitiful he was... A preacher in a city of sinners... unable the change a thing. Some nights he sat in his room with an unloaded crossbow in hand, pulling the trigger at the boats passing by his window. Other nights he would contemplate shooting his own leg or gut so he would have a reason to visit the Rising Dawn safe house.
OOCSorry this took so long. I was just trying to figure out a proper response other than “ok bye!” /thread hahaha
Venidus Larkspur
Player

Character sheet

Postby Hadrian on August 14th, 2011, 10:42 pm

When the hand touched Hadrian's elbow, pure djed Fluxed down his arm as it was raised quicker than thought to his ear in readiness to punch the Symenestra in the face. His eyes were wide and chlorine blue bright, but just as quickly, he realized that he was not under attack, but returning a hand stretched out in need with a fist. He flushed in embarrassment too and let his hand drop to his side, body tingling with the quick flow of djed through it.

"Sorry," he apologized quietly. "Come on. I'll make sure you get home safely. I won't even know what room you stay in." He paused, trying to figure out if he was going to need to physically help the Symenestra get there. He honored the blood-bond with Vizyous, but he hoped honoring it didn't get him killed. He wondered if he could send a thin blanket of disinterest out into his aura so anyone who looked would just not care what they saw and forget them as soon as they had passed. It might be worth a shot.

"I'm Andry," he said. It wasn't exactly a lie. There was enough of Hadrian in Andry that he could lay claim to the persona, he felt, but this was the sort of twisted logic he had learned in Alvadas. Truth and seemings. "Do you... do you need help or should I just walk slowly?"
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Venidus Larkspur on August 16th, 2011, 12:53 am

Andry’s offer to help him walk created a conundrum for the proud preacher. Venidus had already shown more vulnerability and desperation than was proper. The show of weakness pushed the Symenestra to compensate now by being stubbornly independent. The aforementioned challenge was weighing his desire to look strong against his need for help.

He tried to test his limitations subtly by shifting his weighting and gently moving every part of his body one inch at a time. Venidus tried to appear pensive in an attempt to look like he was thinking rather than discovering the boundaries that hiss wounds created. It would seem that walking wouldn’t be to great of an issue, but a small step revealed quite a bit more discomfort than his subtle self-evaluation had unveiled.

Venidus tried to sound quite indifferent, but instead came off as uncertain, “I shouldn’t need to be carried...” Venidus let out a sharp laugh that surprised even him. The sound seemed inappropriate in Ravok. Everything good and everything decent seemed improper whilst in Ravok, but it felt good to let go a little and let his guard down. He continued speaking, his hand absently scratching at his pointed nose, “It may help to walk slowly though. My sincerest apologies...”

Venidus pushed and pulled with his shoulder despite sharp stabs of pain. After a small pop, it felt marginally better, but a dull throbbing still resonated from the joint. The Symenestra began the march back to his housing. He passed Andry who was standing in front of him. It took all his conviction not to limp. He bit down on his tongue while trying to find an appropriate rhythm to his steps.

I will not show pain. I will not show weakness. Every agonizing step had the mantra repeating in his head. The physical pain was dampened by the mental comfort that Andry was providing. The prospect of a friend really changed the whole color of Ravok. The sin and malice seemed slightly less threatening with Andry next to him. Every shadow and person still seemed harmful but not so deadly.

After a few feet of walking that felt like miles, Venidus decided a conversation might take his mind off the pain, “So Andry... this Symenestra that saved your life. What was his name? Kalinor is a small place and names are oft known amongst our people... Chances are that I’ve heard of this kind one of mine.”
Last edited by Venidus Larkspur on August 31st, 2011, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venidus Larkspur
Player

Character sheet

Postby Hadrian on August 16th, 2011, 4:23 am

"Here," he said, pulling a dagger out of his belt and handing it to Venidus, hilt first. It was the dagger he had forged himself in Syliras under Marcus Braeden's exacting eye. It was not fancy, but it would open veins, and it was a step toward forging his own enchanted steel, a skill he would not let fall into Ebonstryfe hands. "Pretend to be my slave-guard or something," he said. "We won't be bothered. Just hold it tightly and look menacing, like you just fought off attackers and will kill anyone who touches me."

He smiled and it was faintly mocking, but whether he was mocking Venidus or himself was anyone's guess. He walked slowly, acceding to Venidus' needs.

"His name is Vizyous Aconitum," he said, "and we met in Alvadas. It took the both of us to fend off the illusions that rose from within us. I would not suggest a trip to Alvadas unless you are too wise to be fooled by mere illusion." But he still pondered the nature of illusion, feeling the touch of Ionu upon him from far, far away.

His aura pulsed with a nudge to trust him. He bore no ill will to the Symenestra; in fact, he wanted to help him more than the average citizen of Ravok. Whether he was racist or not was another matter, but certainly he was wise enough to know he could learn from other races, other cultures. Perhaps Lord Viratas would grant him favor for befriending so many of the people of Kalinor.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Next