Family Stands By Family. Ha![[Bryan]]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Canali on August 20th, 2011, 9:16 pm

He's dead. He was really, truly dead. In all of the senses; no pulse, no heartbeat, and no breath. The warmth was slowly seeping out of her father's body… Just like his blood from the impaled chest. A dark, almost black pool had begun to circle his form on the dirty ground. Inside the house Nathan had come from, joyous voices laughed uproariously and light flowed from a makeshift window. No one was aware there was a little girl, whose father had just been brutally murdered before her eyes, outside. He was just so still. So… lifeless. So… Dead. Nathan's chest didn't rise in wheezing gasps of air; in futile attempts to breathe, even with the blood filling his lungs at a rapid pace and clogging his oropharynx, the piece of throat used for breathing. Red liquid seeped from his nasal cavities and drooled from his parted lips.

At fifteen, Canali didn't know what to do as she leaned over her father's dead corpse. Tears pricked at her eyes, but she shoved them away for a later time. Now was now the right moment to give into weakness. Her father needed her! Maybe he was still alive? Even though she knew it was a long shot, Canali shoved her ear next to his wet mouth, ignoring the warm sensation encasing the side of her face. One hand rested numbly on his chest, in an unconscious need to feel his heart thumping; one she had fallen asleep against so many times when Canali was young. No thump, thump pushed against her fingers and no moist breath decorated her straining ear. "No!" Canali shouted in denial, hoarse voice rough with unshed tears and fueled by the adrenaline which had kicked in to push the shock out.

Using blood covered hands, Canali rammed her hands against the cadaver, as if she were trying to shove the death out. Scrambling backwards on her bum and scraping her hands across the hard ground, Canali stared horrified at Nathan. Why hadn't he just listened to her when she tried to warn him! Couldn't he have put his dreams aside for one night and went back to the tavern, enjoyed a great tasting meal and went to bed? Blood had bleached Nathan's shirt like a tie-dye. His brown eyes were still open, staring into nothing. Had the last image on his mind been of the murderer, who had so ruthlessly shoved a dagger through Nathan's chest before removing said weapon, along with his money, and ran off like the coward he was? What was his last thought? Fear for his daughter who had been left behind in a cruel world to defend for herself? Or peace, looking forwards to seeing his previously dead wife?

Canali's throat was constricting, breaths coming short and tight. Lungs burning and frame shaking, she could no longer stare at the gruesome sight before her grey eyes. Hurriedly scrambling to her feet, Canali turned and ran down the shady street, letting the tears which had threatened earlier pour out and leak down her extremely pale cheeks. Where could she go? Back to the tavern? There was nothing there of importance. No clothing, no mizas, nothing. They hadn't had much of that stuff for a long while. Several seasons, even. Nathan had often skipped out on the bill the next day as they disappeared into the dark streets of Sunberth. Trying to think, trying to use her mind which had been scrambled like a pair of eggs for breakfast, Canali grasped at straws. Staying in the streets at her age would be dumb, stupid, idiotic and maybe even showing signs of a mental disease. Her aunt and uncle? Yes! They were only a close distance away with her cousins. Nathan and Canali had stayed several nights there before when allowed. Never too long in case the past caught up to them and stayed… At Bryan's house.

After figuring out where she was exactly, Canali broke out into a full run, scrambling through dangerous alley ways. Fairly soon, she reached the poor condition door which was their house. Raising a shaking hand and pushing away at the tears on her cheeks with the other, Canali knocked.

UnsureI wasn't sure of the date. Could you timestamp it sometime during the year of 506 AV?
This account is being retired. If you would like to contact me, please do so through the account of Lacai. Thank you.
Canali
Dont Make Me Get The Pan!

Words: 152746
Joined roleplay: April 17th, 2011, 4:11 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Bryan on August 21st, 2011, 1:30 am

OOC :
That would the correct date. :nod: Shad would also be 15 and Bryan would be 11, and Triston would only be 9!XD

By the way I NEVER have described Bryan's parents, and I think pics would define their facial features easier. Paul is the father, he's burly, stubborn, hard headed. Sheil is the mother, she's passive and quite shy, but puts the boys and her family before her. The pictures aren't them EXACTLY but they are close references to how I imagined them.;)

Annnd since there's more than one person I have as NPC's at the current moment, the colored sentence that matches the colors of their names is them when the speak:
Bryan
Triston
Shad
Paul
Sheil

The morning was early for the boys, or was it really early? No it was too dark and the moon was only high as the sun around noon, therefore it was still late. How late? Bryan was unsure, but when he awoke he could hear Shad getting up to answer the door. Triston had woke up too, both of them followed into the living room. Everyone was in their night clothes, Sheil the mother wore a night gown, their father Paul only wore his drawers. Shad wore his linens, Bryan and Triston wore their favorite pajamas made by their mother. Their mom and dad made it to the door with Shad, opening the creaky door to find a familiar face waiting.

"Brother, who's here?" Triston whispered to Bryan. Bryan knew it was Canali, but why wasn't she with her dad? Where was uncle Nathan? Why was she crying? Is that blood?

Switching to Shad's perspective

"Canali? What's wrong?"
He asked, surprised to see the blood on her hands. He moved out of the way as Sheil invited Canali inside, guiding her to the one of the empty seats as they all sat down. Expect for Paul, he stood with arms crossed and face stern.
"When he falls before me and I'm the one standing before him, he find out just how much hate I've held in store for him...."
Bryan
Avenger

Words: 35756
Joined roleplay: June 30th, 2011, 8:04 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Canali on August 25th, 2011, 8:24 pm

How could he be really, truly dead? Nathan… Oh, gosh, Nathan. Her poor father. All he had wanted was to make a better life for Canali and himself. To have something Canali could be proud of. Just a few more mizas. Just a little while longer. Just one more tavern. I promise. Always lying. Never had the cycle quit since Nathan had become involved in the drug business so very long ago. Two years seemed like a lifetime every now and then. Especially when Canali lay awake at night, young mind working out where they hadn't been spotted before and who hadn't loaned them money at one time or another. The pair were running out of places and then… And then he was killed. Shock made Canali's skin cold to the touch and hands shaking as if playing an imaginary game with a ghost. The thief, the man, had he just been trying to support a daughter? A tortured family of skin and bones? Or was the act done in cold blood. Simply wanting the shiny gold to drink away pained memories of shame and regret? The loan shark; had he borrowed money from the loan shark and payment was due?

Vaguely aware of the concerned voices echoing around her as if she were in a cave and they on the other side, Canali's eyes wandered from one to the other. Why had she come here? For all she knew, the man might have followed her. Family was family and Canali had no others she was aware were related to her. Nathan might have. Oh gods… Nathan…

Mind fluttering from one subject to the other, Canali mentally fought an internal battle. Should she stay and explain, but endanger her family for the sake of a roof over her head? Or should she go and protect them from the men who would soon be angrily waiting for Nathan? Dazed, grey eyes landed on her bloody hands. How? Thinking back, even though she didn't want to, Canali recalled pressing her hands against his chest. The gaping wound and the blood. Oh, gods, the blood. How could one human have so much blood leave so fast? Jumping when one of the family members touched her, Canali's eyes sprung to them. What had they asked? Oh, yes. What's wrong? A loaded question for sure. One which was better answered with a short phrase of "What isn't?". Her world was crumbling and they were calmly asking what was wrong? Confused at the splash of clear liquid on her shaking, pale hand, Canali tried to find her voice.

"He… He's dead. My f-father. He'd d-dead."
This account is being retired. If you would like to contact me, please do so through the account of Lacai. Thank you.
Canali

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Bryan on August 30th, 2011, 3:49 pm

What? Dead? Everybody was stone cold silent, the news of Canali's father being murdered was indeed disturbing news. Paul only made a notion for Sheil to follow, as they went back to their bedroom quickly. Shad would've followed, but focused on Canali. Trying his best to give comfort, while Bryan and Triston were thinking on how this came to be. "Uncle Nathan is dead?" Triston's voice was a low mumble, near the point of crying. Bryan hugged the little brother, watching Shad and Canali. The parents could be heard arguing back in the room, their voices raising higher and higher until they were near shouts. Why were they fighting? What was going on?

They came back to the room, Shad looking to them with high hopes. "Canali is living with us?" Paul only shook his head no, looked at Sheil and went back to the room. Sheil looked incredibly disappointed. "She can't live with us, but she'll be staying for a while. At least until she can fend for herself." Shad stood up, anger revealed in his face. "But that's not fair! She's got no one else." Sheil looked at the floor, desperate not to cry. "I know my son, but your father has decided. He will allow her to stay for sometime, but only until she can take care of herself." The room grew quiet, as Sheil found a seat next to Canali.
Last edited by Bryan on September 8th, 2011, 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When he falls before me and I'm the one standing before him, he find out just how much hate I've held in store for him...."
Bryan
Avenger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Canali on August 31st, 2011, 5:45 pm

Tears trickled down Canali's face from bloodshot eyes. When she made a movement to wipe them away and lifted her hand to do so, she spotted the red liquid drying on her skin. Blanching, Canali stared at the shaking appendage before slowly raising the other hand. For a long chime, she only unblinkingly watched the mess before meeting Shad's eyes dead-on. "Excuse me," slipped from her trembling lips as she broke away. Polite to the end, Canali nodded to both of the younger brothers before walking towards where the washroom was. Many atimes did Nathan and her come to their house. Canali had been perfectly content to visit her cousins for awhile, but Nathan had wanted more money. Always more money. Just one more day, one more job. Then they would be earning instead of losing. Only a few more customers. Just a few more plants. Nathan didn't know when to stop and count his blessings. This had been the death of the man she called a father for fifteen petching years. A man who knew only of his own needs, but had them centered around someone else. A man who had morals and knew right from wrong, but slipped into shades of grey. Someone who tried to raise their child right, but centered around the wrong. A man who cared, but not enough.

Entering the washroom, Canali leaned against one wall, staring into the reflection which accosted her on the other side, reflecting from a mirror. Sagging, thin shoulders rested above a body just now becoming like a woman's. Thin wrists hooked together skinny arms and long, nimble fingers. Sad, grey eyes held a broken soul and the secrets of the world lay hidden deep within. A downturned, gnawed red mouth with what was supposed to be twisted upwards in a smile as most girls her age should be laughing. Tears coursed down pale cheeks, leaving behind tracks and staining her skin. Long, curly, almost black hair, coursed down her back, but was knotted in certain spots near the end from Nathan's blood. Red also lay over her shirt, splattered and wiped. If anyone saw her, they would believe Canali had killed someone instead of desperately trying to save a dying relative. The thought made Canali's core shake.

She had practically killed him.

He never would have started any of this if it wasn't for her.

Breaking out of her thoughts by the yelling in the next room, Canali slapped both hands over her ears. They were fighting over her; her aunt and uncle. She really couldn't blame them. Perhaps they even thought she was just like her father. Only coming when she needed something. Then again, maybe she was. Canali was knee-deep in the troubling business and would only bring problems. Thinking back, Canali realized bringing trouble to those who they stayed with practically followed Nathan and herself. More than one of those mentioned people had been harmed and hunted by people wanting revenge or falsely believing they knew of Nathan's mysterious whereabouts. If the drug-users had only been smart enough to realize and check the local tavern of inn. Canali and Nathan were sure to be there. By now the inn owners practically knew them by their alias names. Even though Nathan had never brought clients back to he rooms, Canali had a sneaking suspicion about where he truly went when he "sought a drink" and didn't return or many bells. More than one night she had lain awake listening and waiting for him to come back through the door, aching to smell the liquor or beer on his breath. No such luck. Nathan had lied to keep his daughter safe.

He had given his own life to see to his daughter's well-being.

After going through the motions of cleaning up, and trying desperately to scrub away the top layers of her skin in an effort to remove the blood which seemed permanently stained even after it was gone, Canali dried her tears. No use crying over something she could no longer fix. Feeling on the edge of a breakdown and more like a fragile set of glasses, Canali quietly headed back to the living room. Upon sitting stiffly next to Shad, Sheil appeared with Paul. Having already made up her mind no matter the decision, Canali wasn't surprised when the family said they wouldn't accept her for very long. Grey eyes steadily meeting Sheil's, Canali didn't flinch away from the direct gaze. A determined shadow passed through her eyes. "I will be leaving tonight, then, in that case."
Canali

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Bryan on September 8th, 2011, 3:36 am

What?! Shad was a bit infuriated, while the others were unaware that she'd choose to leave so soon. Sheil looked to her with high concern, while Bryan and Triston was confused at how and why she decided upon this choice. "Canali...are you sure?? You know you can stay as long as you need." Sheil was worried, concerned about her niece. Bryan and Triston only waited for her answer, quiet as to try and understand the situation. Shad, also looking concerned, seemed to fight the urge to convince Canali to stay. He wanted to, but he had to find out why she made up her mind. If Sheil wasn't able to convince her, he would try his best. He loved his cousin, and losing one family member for the evening was hard enough as it was. He couldn't stand the thought of losing another one, especially one like her.

OOC :
Sorry it took me a bit again, and even bigger apologies for the short post. I did try to use a little flattery for you at the end though.:P
Bryan
Avenger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Canali on October 19th, 2011, 9:48 pm

Glancing around at their faces, Canali couldn't risk losing them also. Even if this meant leaving them for good, walking out the door and never looking back over her shoulder. Canali truly had no idea where she would go after this… This final meeting was over, but she would find someplace. Perhaps the orphanage. She had heard rumors about it accepting children under a certain age without payment or otherwise. Maybe she would go see the woman in charge. Calyn, was it? Canali wasn't quite sure. Yes, leaving behind her family, even though they might stay in the same city, would be for the best. There wouldn't be more death on her hands, then. More guilt. How could Sheil ask her to stay? Ask her to kill her only family left? Was the woman suicidal or just mad?

For a long moment, Canali stared into space with her grey eyes dry. Though her eyelashes were clumped together from the tears previously shed, none were gathered now. No, crying wouldn't help the situation. Even if she did want to curl up in a ball, preferably in her father's loving arms, and cry for a dozen nights. Then again… If she was in her father's arms, he wouldn't be dead, and she wouldn't be in this problem. He never would have gotten started in the drugs if not for me, bounced through Canali's brain. She had practically killed him. How could she ask her family to offer their beating hearts just in the tiny glimmer of hope that she would survive? No… Just no.

Nodding her head, Canali raised her eyes to meet her aunt's. "Yes. Thank you for the opportunity, though." Pushing to her feet, she slowly looked around once more. Looking into the faces of her cousins, which ranged from concerned to infuriated. Squatting down to look Triston in the face, Canali forced a smile on her face. It might have been wobbly, but it was one nonetheless. Reaching out, she clipped him on his chin; like she always did. "You be good for me, you hear? No fighting with your brother, he'll win." Moving over to Bryan, she messed up his brunette hair with the palm of her hand.

"And you." Leaning forwards, Canali placed her lips against his forehead. "Listen to your mother. She's a good woman. Besides… I think she might just kick your little rump if you do get in trouble or something." Hand shaking, she withdrew it, slowly moving back to her feet. Turning, a child on the floor on either side of her, Canali met Sheil's eyes. "I.. I suppose I have a lot to thank you for. Not quite sure where to start, so I'll just… Say it. Thank you for helping my f-father and I. We couldn't wish for a better relative." Even if she had turned them away on more than one occasion.

Finally, this left Shad. The oldest cousin, most near to her age. A year younger than her. Give or take a few seasons. The one she was closest to, could relate to.

"I suppose that leaves you, Shad." Smile wobbling even more, goosebumps had risen on her arms, and hands shaking, Canali tilted her head to one side. "Come outside with me, will ya?" whispered from between her lips; as if it had finally set in what her choice was. Without waiting to hear, or see, his reply, Canali moved silently back towards the front door. Hand on the doorknob, Canali looked over her shoulder, eyes trying to memorize what was left. Stepping out into the street shadows, she leaned back against one wall. The door clicked shut with a resounding echo. Maybe it was just Canali's ears as she was straining for any sound to hold onto from the family within.
Canali

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets