[Sanctuary] The light fades (Kavala/staff)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Raiha on October 7th, 2011, 2:10 am

She merely eyed Kavala when the Konti reacted to what she had done. She had been about to let Raiha deal with the outpouring - because Raiha had volunteered to do it at the start, even if Kanikra had finished the job for her - but now that Kavala had spotted her, Kanikra was going to stay there. Not because she particularly relished or wanted a conversation with the depressed Konti, but because she vaguely wanted to smack her for announcing her name. It was something she preferred kept quiet. The less people knew about her, the harder it was to distinguish between the sister souls of the Akontak, and the more content Kanikra was. Since Akajia had essentially rebalanced the two of them, Kanikra had had to do more than pay lip service to the concept of compromise when she wanted something.

She nodded as Cugacon left, watching him leave before reaching to wipe her hands. She doubted that the sickness would have anything catching, but the last thing she wanted was to take it anywhere else. She hadn’t missed the way Kavala had glanced at her infant son. He was Akontak. Kanikra wasn’t about to bother the child Raiha had helped bring into the world that day in the water. But it almost amused some tiny part of her that Kavala thought she would. The infant had rapidly become Kavala’s world, and was likely the easiest way to get through to her. One glance might unsettle her or piss her off. There was strategic value there. But it was risky, far too risky, to try. Not only because Raiha would give Kanikra the fight of her life if she tried it, and it went against her modus operandi. If she got caught, she could well have had to birth a brat to take his place.

Kanikra was not interested.

“It was the kindest way,” she told Kavala once they were alone. She wasn’t defensive or aggressive in response to the way Kavala was looking at her. It was that maddeningly bland indifference. Was that expression, the expression that Kanikra really and truly did not give a shyke, better than their just-departed client’s complete lack of emotion? Did Kanikra care about anything besides herself and her own survival? It was hard to find any evidence of it. “She wasn’t in any shape to be swallowing. This way, she didn’t feel a thing. Warm hands stroking her, and then that was it. Besides, the season is winding down, as my dear sister keeps fussing over, which means stores will be limited. Save what you have... and use it to help something or someone that will live to benefit from it.” Raiha didn’t share the outlook... but after all these years of listening to her sister, she could understand the logic. Idly, as she faced Kavala, she wondered what the older woman would say if she realized that it had been Raiha that had volunteered, even if Kanikra had been the one to carry it out.
The first rule of Akajia is you do not talk about Akajia.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Words: 492991
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2010, 4:07 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Kavala on October 19th, 2011, 5:14 pm

Kavala was impressed. Raiha rarely showed the maturity that she did in that moment. Had Kavala been anything but in her quiet apathy, she might have commented more or said more, but instead she merely nodded. "That makes sense to me. You just startled me, acting so fast. I wasn't sure where it was coming from and if Kani was being Kani or practical. I know that wasn't Raiha doing the killing. She would have taken more time and acted more methodically. I was just startled. You are healthier, do you know that? Healthier than most of the Akalak's here because you use both of what you are inside equally, and don't surpress one or the other. You are still as passionate as they are... as the Akalak are... and as the Konti are... as we are ... but you are a better blending of the two. Sometimes I envy you that. If I were an Akontak here, I'd have rights I do not as a Konti. It makes a difference here, the color of one's skin." Kavala said, stepping away from Raiha and her darker sister to close the door quietly behind Cugacon, pausing a moment to watch him walk down the path, his sad burden clutched in his arms.

"They loose so much so often. I am surprised they aren't even harder than they are as a people."
Kavala said, turning to give Raiha a long look.
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Raiha on November 4th, 2011, 3:17 am

Kanikra merely nodded at Kavala’s words, about her being healthier. She wasn’t sure she would call it healthier. They were more in tune with each other because she had grown up in Mura with a mother who, despite offers of assistance, managed the best she could and tried her own way of mothering. Those who offered opinions weren’t sure whether or not it had been successful, especially with the way she tried to coddle Kanikra as if she was Raiha, never knowing half the time if one was the other, and with Kanikra’s preferences from hiding who she was and when... Tanaha, smart as she was, had problems with the little girl she loved so much. As special and precious as an Akontak was, she would have been far happier with a Konti daughter, and likely would have loved her just as much, if not more.

But Raiha had never been taught how to push her sister back from people who knew how to do it. It had been explained to her, mostly by visiting Akalak when she was quite young. But she had never entirely understood how it worked. But the end result was always the same - if she was tired, if she fell asleep, Kanikra could come out and cause her own special brand of havoc. As a result, she was entirely self-taught, and outmatched. It had taken a visit from Akajia to convince Kanikra to turn her attentions to other targets rather than her own sister-soul. “Raiha could not have suppressed me if she tried,” she allowed. It wasn’t necessarily that way now, not since last fall, but to be fair, neither of them had actually tried. They pushed when they wanted to be in control, and the other ceded, even if sometimes reluctantly. “We know each other’s feelings on matters. There’s no way to hide that from each other. We never learned to hide that from each other. Tanaha was successful at that, even if only accidentally.”

She began to scrub down the exam table with the cleaning solution. This was the sort of thing that she usually pushed Raiha back out to do, (even though Kavala had called her lazy seasons ago, and she was right in that regard) but she didn’t seem to mind today. “It makes a difference anywhere you go. In Riverfall, it is simply more pronounced. With different rights come different expectations. The time will come when they will make those expectations on me... and we will see just how sorely disappointed they will be then,” there was a very rare grin from Kanikra. It wasn’t quite Raiha, but it was not peppered with the usual maliciousness and malevolence that Kanikra personified so well.

The next topic took her a moment, though, as she considered how to explain, and how much to explain, of her view to Kavala. “You cannot lose what you never had,” she said finally as she straightened up, putting the cleaning supplies away. “Males everywhere are the same. Bottle up everything inside until it eventually implodes. For all their ‘equality of the souls’ shyke that they spout, they don’t believe in it. They don’t know who they are, really are, deep inside, and they can’t face it. So rather than be alone with it, to think on it and accept and own their own abilities and shortcomings, they push it away. And at a subconscious level, in their heads, they know it. So they push others away in turn, knowing that in this sort of world, no one has time for anyone else's problems. Because they fear rejection, they know that you cannot lose what you never had.” It was a lengthy speech by Kanikra’s standards - certainly the longest Kavala had heard from her in a long time, and even more surprisingly on a topic she never entertained with the Konti.
The first rule of Akajia is you do not talk about Akajia.
Raiha
Raiha Shadowplayer

Words: 492991
Joined roleplay: February 6th, 2010, 4:07 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Stranger on November 7th, 2011, 7:18 am

XP Award!

Cugacon:
Animal Husbandry+4
Observation +2

Lore:
Holding Emotion at Arm’s Length
Love and Loss

Kavala:
Animal Husbandry +3
Herbalism +2
Observation +3
Medicine +4

Lore:
Empathetic Investment

Raiha:
Animal Husbandry+2

Lore:
Decisive Action

Notes:

Very touching. Poor little kelvic. It is neat to read this thread after I've read more recent Cuga/Kavala stuff, to see where it all began. And Raiha, remind me not to bring any injured kitties your way. ;) Good job guys. Excellent writing, as usual. I'd expect nothing less!
Stranger
Candy Maker

Words: 31827
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2011, 1:48 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Previous