Completed You can't craft my friendship! (Koffurn)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

You can't craft my friendship! (Koffurn)

Postby Bob Barton on September 8th, 2011, 6:26 pm

1st day of Fall 511 AV

Today Bob was supposed to go to Koffurn's house to oversee the creation of his "prize" as promised. Bob could be walking into a trap. Even when he confirmed that Koffurn really did get his materials from Killroy's Kennels, the place Bob worked, Bob could not bring himself to trust the boy. Of all things...why would Koffurn keep ghosts for company? Its going against nature for the dead and the living to be together unless they were nuits. At least those gave some sense of normality to Bob since they looked human. The good thing was, this is Koffurn and Bob saw him was just as weak as Bob himself. As long as Bob had his trusty canesword, he believed he can take on Koffurn should the boy try to harvest him for his dark arts.

Still, how many times has Bob been to the Pig's Foot in Sunberth? It was like his second home spending nearly as much time there as he did Killroy's. Still he was able to get lost especially in the morning. As usual, he left Killroy's and passed the Wolf's Den on his way. That place was just too wild as Bob ran into a small fight. It got so bad it even spread out to passerbys. Not wanting to get involved, Bob hid at the corner behind the containers of refuse people threw out. It was still better than getting dumped into it to be fair. Bob peeked out to the side to watch the fight and waited for his chance. When the fight got worse with almost everyone concentrating on beating up each other, he crept to the other side of the street hoping that the sounds of the fight would conceal his footsteps. When he reached the other side his thoughts of stealth ended as he broke into a run to get as far from the madness as possible.

A few steps towards the end of the street Bob took a glance back to see if he was being pursued just because someone wanted to bring him into the fight. To his horror, there was and Bob gave a squeal. Picking up the pace and running faster. His footsteps a lot more louder now that he is putting all his energies into his escape. Although he found he lost his pursuer, Bob did not stop running until he finally reached the Pig's Foot. Nope, Koffurn was not around yet. Bob decided this was probably going to be a waste of time. He should just get some breakfast and a drink. Bob had to catch his breath a little before deciding to push the doors and go into the Pig's Foot. The sky looked very dark. His timing was really good.
Last edited by Bob Barton on March 2nd, 2014, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Barton
Player

Words: 1121818
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 12:21 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 3
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Muldris Koffurn on September 8th, 2011, 9:38 pm

The rain began pouring down just as Koffurn caught sight of Bob sitting in front of the Pig’s Foot. It was a truly magnificent combination. Seeing his frie-... ally... and the first of the fall’s showers simultaneously left him beaming. He walked briskly down to the street to greet Bob who would surely make some snarky remark about waiting forever or getting the whole ordeal over with. One might take offense to such a greeting, but Koffurn would just enjoy Bob being Bob. The dark clouds above masked the sun and the Legate forgot what part of the day it was. I didn’t sleep last night... but... is it still morning?

He realized that the thought had paused his walking and he resumed. Koffurn tried to think of a way to surprise Bob, but he couldn’t really think of one. The man already knew of his projection abilities... That was usually Koffurn’s favorite, but he decided to cling to the street’s side and sneakily make his way towards Bob. When he was close enough, he sprung in front of Bob and said in an obviously fake voice, “Give me all your money!”

Koffurn let out a loud bout of laughter. He probably wouldn’t have done something so potentially threatening if he had truly had the element of surprise, but Koffurn was sure Bob had seen him when he did it. His stealth skills and impatience left much to be desired. He began to talk but had to stop because a dozen things tried to come out at the same time. He bit his tongue as he regained his composure.

“Hey Bob! How’ve you been?” He spoke slowly as he tried to overcome the awkwardness that their hiatus had created. Bob hadn’t exactly been the kindest character when they parted last, but Koffurn figured that his sour mood would have partially lifted on the first day of a new season. New seasons meant new adventures... New adventures meant more fun.

Koffurn cleared his throat and reached out for an awkward handshake. “So my ally, shall we depart?” He pulled his hand back, forgetting that he was meaning to shake Bob’s hand, and made off down the way he had come. After a few steps he spun around and began to walk the other way realizing that his house was, in fact, in the opposite direction. Despite living in Sunberth for close to nine years, Koffurn still got lost often.

Today would be good day he decided. He would earn Bob’s trust and friendship.
Muldris Koffurn
Player

Words: 49489
Joined roleplay: August 30th, 2011, 5:05 am
Character sheet

Postby Bob Barton on September 9th, 2011, 7:51 am

Bob was just about enter the Pig's Foot which was such a nice, warm and dry shelter from the rain until..."GAH!" Some idiot was trying to mug him, leaping right in front of him between the door to block him off. Why did he have to get mugged right now? Just when he was about to go in too. Maybe Bob should call for help? Shout as loud as he could for someone to save him but the question remained. Who in the Pig's Foot would help him? No, there was no one. It looks like Bob was on his own.

He froze in place with his eyes closed too terrified to even think of looking at his mugger and confirm how much danger he would be in terms of the man's size and any weapon he would have with him. If there was no weapon it would have been worse. If only Bob had looked then at least he would know his fears are unfounded. Bob lifted his arms, one empty handed and the other with his hand holding the middle of his cane. Yes, yes I will. Please...just don't hurt me." But as the saying goes, "a Bob and his mizas are not to be parted" and Koffurn will soon learn why.

The laugh in front of him was loud sure and it just made it easier for Bob to try and guess where his mugger's head was. Thinking...hmmm...the voice was coming from above his head. That much should be true at least since Bob was short. The dwarf would put it one...no two...heads above him towards the front at least. It was a nice position really, for Bob anyway. Never did he thought that a mugger would actually come from behind because what Bob knew was already enough for him. "Alright! I'll give it to you!" he said. Bob gave a quick flick of the wrist to bring down his cane's tip on the source of the laughter and used his other hand to pull the bottom of it towards him to add to the force in hopes that he would hit the mugger on the head.

His attack probably missed since he opened his eyes to see Koffurn right in front of him talking cheerfully. Bob was angry though not seeing the humor in it. "How have I been? What do you think after THAT?!?" Bob boomed. If Koffurn wanted Bob to be more kinder and in a better mood, he should not be playing dangerous pranks like this especially when the atmosphere was bad enough already. Bob stared at the outstretched arm which was pulled back himself not intending to shake it at all considering the circumstances.

"Yes well, why don't you lead the way?" Bob asked coldly wanting to get things over with before bringing his cane right up quickly only to stop below Koffurn's chin. "But maybe if a real mugger got to you on the way, you'll see me running the other way." that would teach the boy to play pranks on him. They could not properly be called friends and in the long run, establishing the limits of how their "friendship" would go is proper. Then Bob just looked a little lost at where Koffurn suddenly changed directions. "Are you sure you know where we are going?"
Last edited by Bob Barton on March 2nd, 2014, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Muldris Koffurn on September 9th, 2011, 6:38 pm

“Bob you don’t have to tell me you would run. I thought we outlined the limits of our alliance quite clearly back at the Pig’s Foot...” his voice was a mockingly serious. “... but I’m glad you’ve been well. We should all start worrying when that fiery spirit begins to fade, but judging by your reaction I don’t think that will be a problem.”

Koffurn ignored Bob’s question of direction. They would get to his house sooner or later. If one walks for an extended amount of time in a city, they are bound to stumble across their destination. Luckily for Bob, there would be no extended amount of time needed today. The Legate could see his house down the street despite it still being quite a bit away. Every step brought more excitement to his heart and mind. Koffurn could hardly contain his exhilaration. Every step made his mind swell a little bit more and a little bit more until he felt as if he would burst.

The heavy rain also felt quite nice. Koffurn bet that Bob wasn’t enjoying it that much, but the short man would be relieved of his discomfort soon enough. An urge to remove his shirt was building in the back of his thoughts. The feeling of heavy rain on bare skin was a most enjoyable experience, but he figured that Bob would consider that indecent or inappropriate. Koffurn didn’t really care about what Bob thought, but he figured he might as well oblige his guest’s unspoken preferences.

Koffurn made sure not to engage Bob in any further conversation until they reached the house. Ol’ Bob seemed as cranky as ever and an entire day in the confines of his small, one-room home would be taxing enough for Bob... Again, Koffurn could take all of Bob’s gapes and enjoy them in the end. Human interaction was such an awesome experience. It was a collision of countless days of learning and experiences. It was an explosive spectacle between two conflicting or harmonious entities.

He hardly had time to revel in the moment before they had reached his small shack of a home. The outside looked clean enough, but the interior was a different story. Koffurn hands were shaking from the cold and it took him a minute to unlock his door. Soon, they were inside the warmth of his home. Bob would probably be terrified of the darkness it presented, but Koffurn loved it.

The young Legate tossed a few logs onto the smoldering embers in his fire pit and the room slowly came into view as the flames engulfed the wood. The bloodstains on the ground were dark splotches on the faded wood. His bed was little more than a mattress and a pile of blankets. Koffurn’s table also sported many stains and deep scratches. The water in the washbasin was tinted brown. The smell was better than when he had butchered the animals, but there was still the slight scent of death under the heavy odor of smoke. The room had no windows, but it was decently ventilated. The door had to be opened to release the smoke every few hours though.

“Welcome!” Koffurn said, as he dramatically waved his arms.
Muldris Koffurn
Player

Character sheet

Postby Bob Barton on September 10th, 2011, 11:15 am

Koffurn did not seem shaken with the threat Bob gave him. The boy was either too foolhardy or confident. Bob just shook his head dismissively to Koffurn as he followed him down the street. All the way to his house. Picking up his pace when the rain started to get heavier. "How long more? I am not looking forward to getting sick."

When Koffurn went in Bob took care with following his host. He was still not sure with this boy who indulged in strange practices. Bob still the idea in his head about Koffurn butchering whatever he could to collect souls as his slave. Bob looked around the house at the entrance. One thing he was sure...he would learn more about Koffurn now that the boy is inviting him to his home. Learn enough to see if their alliance would be worth all this trouble. Bob was glad to see outside it looked like any other shack you might find in Sunberth. It was wooden. Worn yes, but properly maintained. As far as Bob could see there was neither any holes in building or growth like vines and moss. Was Koffurn living alone or with someone else made of flesh and bone? Bob would find out soon enough but so far Koffurn proves to be an ordinary person. A little too ordinary for Sunberth and according to what he has claimed so far.

Bob took a deep breath when he passed through the doors. To smell around for any signs of danger that he was already anticipating. From last time the boy already hinted something about stench from butchering. If it smelt anything remotely human from what Bob knew about dead bodies, he is already prepared to just spin around and run away. Run and leave the boy and his home behind him forever. Fortunately he smelt nothing like that, thinking the faint smell masked by smoke was because of the boy's sloppy lifestyle and continued on. However Bob kept vigilant for any signs of danger as his eyes darted all over the house. Being a bit dim he could not see clearly though...

Soon, his host started a fire. Bob was thankful for it since the shack was dark and Bob was feeling cold from the rain earlier. A few quick strides was all it took for him to reach the fire and warm himself up. Once his needs were satisfied Bob turned back to Koffurn to ask about what they were going to do today. The gambler has already done his bit to dig around at Killroy's a few days before according to the information that Koffurn has given him. All that was left is for the boy to uphold his part of the deal.

"So Coughing. What are we goin-...Yeaghhh? What is that?!?" Bob cried out pointing to the marks on the ground in front of him. In the dark earlier he could not tell but with the light of the fire it was unmistakable. The dark red stains contrasted with the brown of the wood. It was blood. Bob tried to turn his eyes away and fixed it on the table. On closer inspection Bob saw the same stains as well along with strange scratches. No doubt the place where Koffurn did all his bloody work as Bob could only conclude but the blood... It was everywhere!

Unable to contain himself, Bob darted to the washbasin. Unfortunately when he put his head forward to wash and calm himself his nose got in touch with the smell of death from Koffurn's work. His imagination was already running wild and with all he has already seen he just concluded the brown stains on the sink was blood as well. He quickly washed up and tried to compose himself. Despite what he saw outside the house earlier Bob had only this to think. The blood, the table, the basin, the mattress... Koffurn may look like it but he is far from ordinary. He really does belong in Sunberth. All the "people" hiding the monsters deep within them just like this house.

"Sorry about that. Shall we begin?" Bob quickly asked. He really needed to get this dirty business concluded soon before he could not take it anymore and loses it.
Last edited by Bob Barton on March 2nd, 2014, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Muldris Koffurn on September 12th, 2011, 5:13 am

Koffurn’s confusion turned to amusement, and he couldn’t help but to chuckle. Bob was the first person he who had been inside his house since he came into possession of it. All of the stains and general disarray was all very normal to him. Bob was a smart and careful person. Koffurn didn’t realize how all the blood would register for his short friend, but Bob didn’t run so none of that really mattered. He waved lazily at the spots, “Yeah... that is all blood. Most of it was from that darned ol’ wolf pup I got. Seriously... so much blood...”

The Legate gave a somber sigh before chuckling again at how serious he had gotten, but he felt guilty once the sound faded. The wolf’s eyes seemed to stare at him from the depths of his memories. The eyes asked “why” with every moment of their intolerable gaze. His heart felt heavy and his mind was darkened by the pure innocence that looked into his soul. After a moment of paralyzing brooding, Koffurn realized that he was hardly breathing. He evened his breathing and went on with his business.

The bones he was planning on using, not to mention the only ones he had, were organized in the chest by his bed. He had vacated the chest’s previous contents upon acquiring the bones. The old contents were now scattered randomly across the room in a way that Koffurn found appealing but most would find sloppy. His thin arms and tiny frame tugged at the large chest in order to bring it closer to the fire. The sound of wood scraping on wood seemed to fill the hollowness of the sparse room.

“Before we begin...” Koffurn was speaking to Bob but his attention was on the chest. His speaking was distant and strangely loud, “You have to choose which bones or leathers you want me to utilize. I am pretty sure that you should pick a bone that corresponds to the thing you want... If you speed, pick the legs or feet. If you want brains, pick the head. If you want height... well... you are out of luck there!” Koffurn said the last part cheerily. He didn’t mean to offend, but he never meant to and seemed to always end up doing so.

Koffurn didn’t know where Bob was in the room. He didn’t even know if Bob was there! For all he knew, the short gambler could have snuck out minutes ago. He would work regardless. Koffurn was building an unstoppable momentum in his heart. The wolf’s eyes stared at him from within his conscious and seemed to beg him to not let it go to waste. The Legacy... Your remains will be your legacy.

He glanced around the room. Bob was still there. The work would be done. Everything would fall into place. “You work at Killroy’s... What do you know of these little critters? Knowing you, I bet you did some digging. That could help you decide which body and which bone...”
Muldris Koffurn
Player

Character sheet

Postby Bob Barton on September 12th, 2011, 1:30 pm

It was fortunate for Koffurn was Bob was too busy recovering from his shock that he could not even comprehend running away. The only thing in his mind at the time was to not end up as some bloodstain on the floor. Bob was probably in dangerous territory now and it would be better to proceed with more cautioun. Maybe the wolf he found out about was the same as the wolf Koffurn remembered. Eyes asking "why" for what he saw. It was because of that he was able to forget all about the height jokes Koffurn was making all this while.

Like it happened a few days ago, Bob did his part digging at Killroy's to find out more information about the wolf and ferrets. He tried his best to do discreetly so that no one would question him. Koffurn already made sure Bob would do that at least. In a sense it was easy. Bob was already working with the dogs so much he should be able to ask about the wolf cub. Some of the attendants he met he asked "Hey...what happened to that wolf cub? Did someone buy it already? I was really liked the little guy.." or "Those stupid ferrets. I hated them. My regret someone bought them is I'll never be able to hunt them down myself." All the things he said were specifically tailored for a casual answer of the animals' end which he found out, the wolf cub choked on the ferrets. So most definitely Bob will not be wanting the head for its brains since the cub was stupid enough to choke on a meal.

With the situation being so unusual, no one would question Bob curiosity to ask more. He followed through his questions with a "The wolf got killed by five ferrets? How?" by choking on them of course, but Bob needed to confirm that knowledge was fact. Then "how did the ferrets even get in the same cage as the wolf? Isn't that for sales?" or "Who do I thank for putting those ferrets in?" Unfortunately not many people knew the answer or they just wanted to keep it secret. There was no satisfactory answer other than someone left them in the same cage. Bob had to dig deeper. His job was to get information for Koffurn. Gods know how important his task was.

Fortunately for Bob there were people who owed him in the kennels whether gambling or small favors especially the people he helped protect from the rat incident last season. Bob got to work on them being more direct they already owed him something. "Whats the big secret everyone is keeping from me about the wolf? I don't like being left out" in a annoyed voice like he truly wanted to know just so he won't be stuck out of the loop. Even if he did not get a name he did get the truth. Some absent minded attendant accidentally put the wolf cub into the ferrets cage. At first it was alright, until the ferrets started getting wild. Then the wolf went and gobbled them up after a fight defending itself. But the thing about fights is no one truly wins.

Bob decided it was far enough and that was enough to look for otherwise people will start asking questions about him asking questions. For anything else, Bob could draw from his own knowledge about the wolf. His easiest conclusion from the information he got, the wolf was stupid. Inexperienced to choke on the ferrets. Maybe it was the age but...since Koffurn was the expert, Bob will let him decide how they will proceed. "Well, you know how they died. The reason is stupid." he said shaking his head. "Besides that nothing special. They were trained just like any other animal." They were a little different from the norm so there may be variations. Bob did not bother too much about it. "So which do you think is more suitable? I'll tell you what I can."
Last edited by Bob Barton on March 2nd, 2014, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Muldris Koffurn on September 12th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Koffurn sat down and peaked his head over the chest’s lip. There were so many tantalizing choices. How could one possibly choose? The Legate had hoped that Bob would be able to choose or come up with more useful information, but alas, there was not much more than the information he had been told. The bones were neatly arranged into groups based on whom the bones had come from. The wolf was on the right while the five ferrets were arranged in five distinct piles to the left.

After a few minutes of listening to the fire’s crackling, he decided to give Bob a few options. He was still a novice, but coming up with ideas would be easier for him than for his gambling friend, “Well, there are a few things we could do. I am not sure exactly how well I could make a gambling trinket, but perhaps I could use the ferret’s innate agility to help with sleight of hand, but I am not entirely sure how great that would be.”

He picked up one of the ferret’s skull and ran his fingers over its smooth surface. The white took on a red glow from the nearby fire. The dark crevasses in the bone created deep shadows. Koffurn could almost see the life that used to be held within, the empty, staring eyes always watching. He shivered from the unsettled feeling growing in his stomach despite finding a strange beauty in the organic structure.

Koffurn placed the skull tenderly back into box. He had other ideas regarding an item, but he also recognized the risks involved with making more mortal tools. He decided to present the idea to Bob regardless. He figured the gambler wouldn’t quite accept the prospect of leaving empty-handed. Koffurn spoke with gravity that he hoped captured the danger of what he was purposing, “We do know the wolf choked on the ferrets. Perhaps, I could craft an item that led to a similar fate. An item that caused food to stick in the one’s throat would be interesting.”

He scratched his face because it was itching a little. He continued with the part that might interest or dissuade his short gambling friend, “Of course, the item could cause the wearer to choke. For this reason, I would recommend one of the ferrets. Probably, the one that the wolf died eating would be ideal. Hopefully it would turn any food it touches into something more sinister. Would you want such an item? It could very well end up being your undoing, but that is a risk one must take.”

Koffurn stretched due to discomfort. He wasn’t particularly eager to make such a devious item, but Bob wanted a Maledicted item and he would get it. The entire ordeal was making him sick but excited as well. Giving Bob such a scary item began to scare him greatly. He hoped that the item wouldn’t be used against him whatever the end result.
Muldris Koffurn
Player

Character sheet

Postby Bob Barton on September 13th, 2011, 12:38 pm

Gambling trinket? That sounded interesting but Bob did not understand how it would help with increasing his agility. He continued thinking of the ferret while Koffurn played with the skull which was kind of creepy in Bob's eyes. This messed up house really did represent its messed up owner well and...Koffurn needed a lot more friends. More than Bob since he would not be able to take the madness for too long. Then he gave a little suggestion.

"Well I know the ferrets were being trained for hunting and not...stealing? I mean you should have heard how they got into action against the wolf pup." Bob said getting excited to tell the story he heard and started flailing his fists at each other in front of him. "First the pup was put in the cage right?" his hands looked like it was holding something and brought them down. "At first the pup and ferrets kept their distance from each other. At least...until the pup got thirsty..." with a lower voice as he shook his head. "That drink was its last because after a few sips, they say the weasels started hissing wildly." his hand opened and closed like a maw. "The pup growled back, the weasels hissed louder and following their training they surrounded the pup." the other hand joined it and circled each other round and round. "I expected that the weasels were trained well, but not that well or well enough to use that tactic? Anyway they took advantage of their numbers and attacked the pup one by one with each opening until...you know..." his voice dropping again. Still, it was impressive what the weasels did.

Bob finished his story he spent so long to uncover at Killroy's out of breath. Why did he have to get so excited? His arms are even aching now. He took a seat and continued "So what do you think you can do with that? Talk about how smart the weasels are? You suggested brains earlier and besides that...well that's the only interesting thing I can think of which you can use. Unless you want to know about their training but I think that's just boring. Why would you want to know so much about training weasels to hunt?" Everyone should be able to guess that. Just release the weasel and off it goes. After its quarry which is normally a smaller and weaker animal.

He thought longer about what Koffurn suggested. An item that causes someone to choke on his food? That would be good...for an assassin but Bob does not do that. How would it work anyway? If whoever keeps it chokes on his food when he eats it Bob would be the item's first victim. "No thanks about that one...Why would you want to tell such a sad tale about the wolf through that?" Bob knew a few people who would love an item like that, but no way he is going to give other people the means to execute their nefarious deeds.

"Instead of telling about the bad, how about focusing on the good?" Bob suggested not knowing if Koffurn would want that. It was time to tell the pup's side of the story or at least what Bob could piece together based on what he heard. "How about we put the tale of how the pup valiantly defended itself and beat the weasels against all odds? It was only one year old. It wasn't trained like the weasels and still...it won!" Bob said excitedly. Anything else might not be worth mentioning since it can be done with any other dog. "I mean you should have seen the cage once it was all done. There was blood...everywhere!" Bob said opening his arms "even more than this place." That is a lot, and disturbing now that Bob thought about the shack. "Too bad it got overexcited and overconfident with its victory. It bit off more than it could chew." giving a slight chuckle at the pun he made.

Bob took a rest again after speaking so much so fast. "In the end its your choice. You're making it. If you don't feel too confident about it you can make that dangerous thing you wanted though it will be stuck in a cupboard somewhere until I find someone who really deserves it." Bob could think of a few people he would want to give it to like Darik for example. "Well if its something to do with eating, we can always give it an eating implement shape?" Bob was hoping that maybe it will help the item know who its target was instead of anyone just holding it.

Those were a lot of ideas Bob gave Koffurn to work with. If the boy wanted, he could do them all in his own time actually. Bob did not want to stay here any longer than he needed to get his prize. It was the principle of the game and today was to see if he can really trust and use Koffurn just as the boy would do with him throughout his stay in Sunberth. "So what else do you need me to do to help while we make it?"

OOCSorry it was sooooooooo long and nothing much. But it looks like the show is all yours from now on. :)
Last edited by Bob Barton on March 2nd, 2014, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Barton
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Muldris Koffurn on September 16th, 2011, 7:55 am

Koffurn was a little annoyed by Bob’s suggestions and independence. It wasn’t that he thought the advice was poor. Koffurn had hoped that Bob would be a little more clueless and helpless in this situation, but the Legate should have known better. The gambler was willful and wily. Koffurn let his sourness slip, “Fine, Bob! Why don’t you come over here and make your own?” He had said it and to revoke it would show weakness. He didn’t want to show weakness to Bob... He wanted Bob to think that he was strong.

He went over to the table and set up two chairs next to each other. Koffurn went over to the chest and pulled out five of the largest ferrets largest vertebrae. He brought them to the table. Koffurn returned to the chest and dug around, eventually deciding to pull out the wolf’s lower jaw and a few leg bones. He went and placed them next to the ferret backbones. He rummaged around the room, found his daggers and etching kit, and placed them between the wolf bones and ferret bones.

The kit contained all sorts of scraping and scratching tools. Their sharp edges glittered with the light of the fire. “We will both make our own item. I will help you out, but you will learn a bit through observation just as I did. I gave you big bones to work with so it shouldn’t be too difficult. I am guessing you haven’t etched before either, but I will hold your hand for that too... physically as well as figuratively.”

Koffurn sat down at the table and swept the bones to either side of the table. He pulled out one of his daggers and began hacking at the table. It was rough work, but the table wasn’t particularly hard or well kept. Beads of sweat collected on his nose and then fell off every time he moved. The Legate worked from every side of the table. Once he had worked on one part, he would move to another side and begin hacking at the wood from there. Koffurn’s hand would occasionally slide across the now rough wooden surface and brush off small heaps of splintered wood. He stabbed, sawed, and sliced at the table until he feared it would split in two.

He stepped back to examine his work. It was rough, it was crude, and it was perfect. The small circular table now sported a large malediction circle in its center. The circle was about three feet in diameter. After a moment of observation, Koffurn went back to work and added touches that he had forgotten. There were a few crucial parts to the circle missing and the circles had to be perfect for good results, but they were omitted on purpose. He didn’t want Bob knowing the entire craft nor someone who stumbled into his home.

“So we are going to make this circle on the bones and add words inside. It is like telling a story. Stories and words hold power. Not when said... but certainly when written in one of these nifty circles,” he said and tapped the butchered table. “Use this as a template and I will help you out. Take it slow and you may succeed...” He handed Bob the finest of the instruments. It wouldn’t be as efficient, but Bob had no experience etching so it seemed like the best bet.
Muldris Koffurn
Player

Character sheet

Next