Starting up a career

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Starting up a career

Postby Cora Greenberg on September 15th, 2011, 8:34 am

7th Day of Fall 511 AV - Afternoon

Cora was walking through the corridors of the University, looking around helplessly. She stopped for a moment and looked at a small paper in her fingers. There was a name written on it: Theresa Parker, Department of Medicine. She had been putting this off during whole Summer, but now she knew that she had to act, before it's too late.

But first she must find the woman. There were signs scattered here and there in the corridors, indicating where to find each department, but still somehow Cora got lost. She stubbornly refused to knock on some of the many doors that were there. She was determined to find it alone.

She no longer knew in which department she was. She just simply walked forward and occasionally she turned to the left or to the right hoping that somehow she would find the desired department. Now she turned to the left and found herself in some not very well lit corridor. She cursed loudly, turned around and returned to the corridor from where she came.

She sighed, annoyed, and defeated went to a big brown door. For her, it was really frustrating that she couldn't find her way. She didn't like asking other people for help. For the last time she looked around for some sign, but when she saw none, she knocked on the door and waited for some response.
Last edited by Cora Greenberg on September 30th, 2011, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never let formal education get in the way of your learning.
- Mark Twain -
“There’s no point being grown-up if you can’t be childish sometimes.”
Cora Greenberg
Player

Words: 16688
Joined roleplay: June 2nd, 2011, 9:57 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Starting up a career

Postby Oracle on September 28th, 2011, 2:23 am

A knock sounded at Lilia Allis' door, short and nervous sounding. Lilia rose from her chair with a curious expression on her face and walked towards the door, she carefully pushed her spectacles back up on her nose and smoothed her long grey hair back behind her ear, a nervous habit of hers. In all the years she had worked there she had never received a visitor. In fact her only contact with anyone besides the dean was her four bells a day she was in class teaching. Most considered her views too radical and she was not well respected by her peers or even her students.

With a heavy sigh she pulled open the door slowly and peeked outside to find who had come to grace the washed up teacher with her presence. What she found was a girl. A wave of frustration rolled off her but her eyes seemed friendly enough. Lilia smiled and quietly chuckled to herself. This girl had spirit. Lilia spoke in her deep cracked voice,
May I help you dear?

Zeltiva Lore****Zeltiva Forum****The University

Please see my absence thread if I have not responded in some way in over 24 hours
Oracle
AS of Zeltiva

Words: 53472
Joined roleplay: September 4th, 2011, 2:41 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Starting up a career

Postby Cora Greenberg on September 30th, 2011, 8:06 am

In these few terrible moments Cora had to wait for the door to open, she tried desperately to straighten her clothes and hair. Soon she will be standing in front a professor of the university!

And here it was.

The door opened and out came a woman with glasses and grey hair. Professor, no doubt. She seemed a bit startled by seeing Cora. 'Maybe this wasn't the best time to come?' Cora wondered. But then the professor smiled at her and offered help. Cora felt immensely relieved. That would be really great if she made wrong first impression. Maybe the professor was the one Cora looked for. She tried to smile back, but she was too nervous.

'What's wrong with me? I've never been so nervous in my life. This is maybe the most important moment in my life. I can't ruin it!'

After a moment she forced herself to speak. "Ehm...sorry to disturb you, madam...eh...professor," she started awkwardly. "I'm looking for..." she looked at the paper. "Theresa Parker in the Department of Medicine. I wish to undertake a training." She once again felt a feeling of incompetence. Now the professor will think that she is unable to follow simple instructions. Great.
- Mark Twain -
Cora Greenberg
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Starting up a career

Postby Oracle on October 6th, 2011, 4:40 pm

Lilia resisted the urge to roll her eyes, it was just her luck that no one would be looking for her specifically. No one ever did. Instead she offered the girl a warm smile and opened the door to offer her to come in with a quick nod. I'll be glad to help you dear.

Lilia left the door wide open as she retreated back into her office and waited for the girl to follow. She headed over to a small counter and grabbed two metal cups from a stack she kept cleaned and waiting, for the first time in a long time she grabbed two clean cups and poured some water from a nearby jug into both. While she worked she shouted over her shoulder to the girl.

What field of medicine are you interested dear? I can help you navigate your way around a spade and some dirt...she smiled softly...but anything beyond the realm of plants and I'm useless. She walked over to the shy girl and held out a cup for her while taking a sip from her own. Most of us are located pretty close together though. So I should be able to point you in the right direction. I am Lilia by the way, and what do they call you?

Please see my absence thread if I have not responded in some way in over 24 hours
Oracle
AS of Zeltiva

Office
Scrapbook

Starting up a career

Postby Cora Greenberg on October 11th, 2011, 12:18 pm

The woman invited Cora into her office, so she carefully stepped inside.

„Thank you.“ She said and looked around the room. She watched as the professor picked up two cups and poured water inside. Cora was so absorbed in looking around the room that she didn’t notice the professor talking to her.

Her earlier shyness nearly gone. The smile on the woman’s face calmed her enough that she nearly regained her usual confidence. She took the cup, which the woman was handing her. She smiled at her in thanks and answered.

“Well, I don’t really know. I think I need to know everything, because I want to continue working in the small office, which was my father’s before, but he fell ill and he can’t do it anymore. I thought that I would be able to continue with just the knowledge he passed on me, but I discovered that it isn’t enough and we were forced to close the office. I hope, when I finish my studies, I will be able to continue doing it….”

She finished, then she was silent for a while and she began sipping from the tea, then she nearly spit it out, when she realized that she forgot to introduce herself.

“Oh, I completely forgot! My name is Cora. Nice to meet you.” She smiled.
- Mark Twain -
Cora Greenberg
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Starting up a career

Postby Oracle on November 8th, 2011, 9:46 pm

The Girls sputtered her name which brought a motherly smile to the elderly woman's face. Nice to meet you Cora. I am Lilia. She paused and seemed lost in thought for a moment. Theresa Parker is the head of medicine yes, her office is simply down the hall. I can take you here shortly. But you know...her words trailed off and Lilia's eye lit up with childlike mischief and scheming.

I do teach a class on Herbalism in the fall. Might be quite handy to you. Folk medicine is stronger stuff than the fluff most of these modern "doctors" spit out at you. Her lips tipped up at the corners in a small grin. If you agree to help me around the classroom...I would be more than happy to let you take the class at no charge. In fact I could even pay you a small amount for your assistance. She set her cup down on the counter once again.

You wont get an offer like that from most of the professors around here, but it is up to you. Say the word and I will lead you down to Theresa's office without another word. As if the illustrate her point she pinched her lips shut with her fingers and stared into Cora's eye with an intensity the older teach had not had in quite some time. She was planning something under that head of grey hair and Cora seemed to be her key.

Oracle
AS of Zeltiva

Office
Scrapbook

Starting up a career

Postby Cora Greenberg on November 9th, 2011, 5:07 pm

Cora's heart skipped a beat when she heard the offer of the professor. If she accepted, she would be able to study herbalism, not pay anything for it and on top of that she could earn some money! That was more than she could have ever imagined. Surely she wouldn't get this opportunity with the other professor or would she?

After a moment she was decided. She looked at Lilia and smiled.

"Well, that's...that would be great! I would be happy to study your classes and of course I will be happy to help you."

She took a sip from her tea, then set it on the table.

"So... when can I start?" she asked enthusiastically.
- Mark Twain -
Cora Greenberg
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook