[The Sculpture Yard] Monkey Business (Grot)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Kendall Saarinen on September 26th, 2011, 2:45 am

83rd of Autumn, 511 AV

Since coming to Avanthal, Kendall had been itching to spend some time in the Sculpture Yard. While he was still trying to get used to the city, he still felt that he needed to push himself to brave the cold, even if his body was begging him to stay in the cabin where it was warm.

As Kendall walked, he quietly sang to himself. He hoped the music, or at least the concentration on the lyrics would get his mind off of the freezing weather. He told himself he would not complain about the biting cold. He knew he was much more comfortable in the weather than Hadrian and Ethan were thanks to his mark from Ivak. The gnosis warmed his blood, keeping his body burning much warmer than that of one untouched by the fire God.

Kendall thought on his companions as he entered the sculpture yard. Poor Ethan. He was a bird kelvic. If he knew what was good for him he would have flown down to Eyktol when the breezes started to chill. He was a loyal bird though and he would not have left his friends. Hadrian on the other hand. Kendall was just relieved that the mage had returned to him. Hadrian was everything to him and the moment they had been reunited had been the happiest he had felt the whole season. Of course, every moment with the hydromancer was a happy moment to Kendall.

Pushing through the snow, Kendall spotted the large ice gazebo in the center of the yard. It seemed to stand proud and stark against the cloudy Taldera sky. "Seems like a good enough place to take a break." He walked forward and up the steps of the steps of the building… if one could even call it that. Once in it's open room at the top Kendall took a seat at the edge, looking out at the sculptures. He closed his eyes and held out his hand, letting the Res pour out into the icy air above it. He tried to clear his mind, meditate if you will as he let the Res gather. Once the gas had formed he ignited it, smiling warmly as he felt the flames feed into his body temperature. This would help him in the cold. Not completely, but it would help.
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Grot on September 26th, 2011, 3:08 am

"Curse this blasted cold..." Growled Grot in his deep rumbling voice, "To hell with those Vantha for making their dwelling in such a place." The great ape continued to grumble as he pulled cloak about is frame and adjusted his pack, "Be it the wind or the snow, I find this little adventure hardly worth reliving in the future."

Grot made quick tracks through the quickly building mounds of snow, his knuckles making deep impressions as he lowered his 570lbs onto them. Looking up Grot spotted the gazebo at the center of the garden of stone and snow, "Now then that is more to my liking."

As he walked Grot cast a glance around the yard. He could not help but be a bit impressed by the works he say. As he drew nearer the ape tilted his head to the side, "Now what creature would be fool enough to sing and allow the frost to coat his throat?" Drawing closer Grot soon found the source of the voice. Grumbling he grasped one of the pillars that held up the roof of the gazebo and swung his great frame into its shelter, hanging by one long arm from the ceiling as he examined Kendall, "Well it be a human I see. Now my question is answered."

With that Grot dropped to the ground, landing with a heavy thud. He turned his eyes on the man, "Well then, shall I join you so that we might share the misery of this weather together?"
Grot
Player

Words: 12198
Joined roleplay: September 21st, 2011, 4:27 am
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

Postby Kendall Saarinen on October 1st, 2011, 3:45 am

Kendall was surprised to see the large Jamoura walk into the gazebo. They were natives of Taldera but from what he had heard, southern Taldera. He recalled the last time he had met one of them in Zeltiva. He had found the creature to be a bit off-putting, although he has been in a different state of mind then. There was no reason not to let the creature share the gazebo with him.

"Feel free." He smiled as he motioned to the space beside him. Jamoura were intelligent creatures and he did not want to pass up the chance to talk to one. Especially now that he was less emotional. "I cannot say I love the cold. I'm more of a spring person myself. I expected the chill when I set out for the city though so I'm trying to make the best of it." He could not help but look at the creature. It was impressive to see Caiyha's work so masterfully shown. "I'm Kendall by the way. What is your name?"

He let the fire burn a little brighter over his hands, hoping it would warm him up a bit. He did worry about it melting the gazebo though. Avanthal was such a inconvenient city for him it seemed. He was a child of fire and yet everything was ice. The buildings, the art, even the gate to the city. He was constantly worried about melting away the city but he could not stifle his flames. They were in a sense, who he was.
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Grot on October 3rd, 2011, 2:16 am

Setting down his pack Grot pulled the cloak a bit tighter around his large shoulders, grunting in response, "I am called Grot by some and nothing by most. And what say you flame holder? By what title might I address you?"

Grot looked down on the man before him, his face hard lines as usual. The man before him felt strange for some reason. Looking closer the Jamoura noticed the man's eyes were different colors, one green and the other blue. Sniffing Grot thought he could smell a faint sweetness in the air. Was it from the man?

Grot examined the man a moment longer, His manner of dress is nice, he noted, and he gives off so much heat it is as if he stands in the middle of summer and not this dreadful wintery hell.

More and more the great ape found his curiosity piqued, but he did not allow it to show and instead turned to his pack, opening it and withdrawing from it a rather old looking violin and bow. He then proceeded to tune the strings, glancing up at Kendall from time to time, his eyes searching.
Grot
Player

Character sheet

Postby Kendall Saarinen on October 13th, 2011, 12:10 am

Kendall smiled at the great creature. "Nice to meet you Grot. My name is Kendall." Flame holder. He liked that. It was interesting talking to a Jamoura. He found it much more enjoyable than the last time he had spent time with one. Of course, he had sorted a lot of things out now.

It was interesting to see how the Jamoura watched him. It was somewhat like how Cathan had. Sentient with a hint of bestial nature. Kendall watched him back, letting his auristics take over his sight. The aura of the creature was marvelous to watch. It was so different than any other aura he had seen. Humans tended to have very orderly aura unless except for certain occasions of course. Kelvics were usually more sporadic and wild. The Jamoura's was so calm and smooth almost as if it were soft smoke cling to his fur. It was beautiful.

When Grot started to tune his violin Kendall watched curiously. A creature with such big fingers playing a violin! He needed to see that. He could not deny that the Jamoura was really grabbing his attention. "Wow, you play the violin? Can I hear a song… if you don't mind playing one of course." He smiled shyly as he pulled out his notebook. "I'm not extremely good at singing but I can try to add some lyrics to your notes if you like." He shrugged slightly. "It would be good practice for us both if you don't mind my singing."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Grot on October 17th, 2011, 2:44 pm

Grot glanced up from his work for a moment, his eyes racking over Kendall once more. With a grunt he looked back down at his work. His fingers, though large, moved about the strings with the quick familiarity of a musician that had had the instrument for many years. As he was tuning Grot spoke in a deep voice, "Kendall eh...*Chuckling* You are an interesting one. One such as I disturbs your rest in this icy kingdom and the first thing you ask of me is not for the use of my strength by for my violin?" Grot's lined face broke into something of a smile, "I must say, tis a first to be asked to play an not to lift some tree 5 men before me could not budge."

Finishing his work, Grot plucked one string on the violin. The sound reverberated around the silent garden, echoing off the stone until it took on an almost unnatural sound. Nodding the Jamoura reached into his bag and pulled out a polished violin bow. The bow itself seemed much younger than the violin itself. Placing the bow on the strings, the Jamoura played one long, low note that seemed to stay in the air longer due to the quietness of the garden.
Grot
Player

Character sheet

Postby Mutt on December 28th, 2011, 12:45 am

Kendall

Experience

Skill XP Earned
Singing 1
Reimancy 2
Auristics 1
Lores

• Monkeys can be artists too

Notes

If you find something wrong, you know the drill.
Mutt
Yes, I bite.

Words: 3438
Joined roleplay: October 19th, 2011, 11:31 pm
Race: Staff account
Office