Social Call (Talen)

There is no such thing

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Social Call (Talen)

Postby Louie Wein on October 31st, 2011, 6:35 pm

4th day of Fall 511 AV

When Louie has nothing to do, people may just see him walking around Denval to call on some old sour...friends. That is what people would call them. Friends. You'll never know what tasty tidbit will come out from gossip. Making his way to where he remembered where Talen lived, Louie knocked on the door and waited. Hopefully Talen is free because if he remembered properly, that man had a busy life having to juggle between guarding and training. Those things are one of the main reasons why if anything interesting happened in town, Talen might know it as a guard.

Once the door was opened Louie would ask if "Talen. May I come in? Unless you are in one of your moods where you don't want to meet anyone else." If he can't he would tell Talen that "it is unhealthy to stay at home" and suggest that he should "come, lets go to the Stranger's Welcome." At least there would be opportunities for conversation over there over a drink or two.
Louie Wein
I don't cry wolf

Words: 69995
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 9:11 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Social Call (Talen)

Postby Talen Stirling on November 1st, 2011, 5:56 pm

*knock-knock*

Talen looked up curiously at the unfamiliar tap on his door, a puzzled expression on his face. He'd been about to start on dinner, and the little cooking gear he had was laid out on a small table alongside vegetables and some rather dry, salted meat. No-one usually came to see him off-duty, and if he wanted company he'd go down to the 'Welcome himself.

He turned around swiftly, putting down the knife he used for both cooking and eating. It wasn't exactly exciting, having to cook dinner... Especially if you weren't very good at it.

He made his way quickly to the door, trying to recognize what kind of knock it had been... To no avail. He opened the door wide even before he saw his guest, and almost closed it shut again when he did.

"Louie? Shyke, what do you want? I haven't petched anyone for you to write about..." He grinned faintly, and answered the writer nervously when he asked his question. "I don't know I was about to cook dinn--" He blinked at the interruption, but then shrugged and couldn't help but smile faintly. Perhaps this way he could get both dinner and a drink for just the words off his lips.
Talen Stirling
"What the petch...!?"

Words: 173032
Joined roleplay: May 30th, 2011, 11:07 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Social Call (Talen)

Postby Louie Wein on November 1st, 2011, 7:09 pm

It was that sort of reaction that Louie got when his so called friends met him. There was no doubt that his one true companion was his work and why wouldn't it be? Denval was an interesting enough town full of interesting events going on if you knew where to look. But Louie didn't know where which was why he had to talk and mingle with other people out of his element. Out of his house and his archives like Talen who was only in when he was off-duty. That was where their differences were. Their home were for completely different purposes.

Until Louie visited Talen, then it might be about his work as well. "Now Talen, I am just a friend visiting. I don't want to get you into any trouble since you haven't petched anything...yet" which if Talen did, Louie would have went to someone else to ask about it as soon as he heard it. He can never expect to get a straight answer from a subject alone unless he had some solid information to point out all the contradictions.

Louie continued explaining further that "it does not mean that other people haven't petched anything and you as a guard should know about it right? Just think of it as gossiping. I am no different than anybody else in Denval" until he starts writing something. But to write he had to have topic first and that was what he hoped that Talen can provide. The worst thing he could do out of sheer desperation and boredom would be to take the gossip as it is to turn into scandal but that would of course ruin his integrity and reputation.

Answering Talens faint grin with a broad one of his own, Louie very much satisfied said "excellent! Dinner at the Stranger's Welcome it is" but did Louie say he was buying? No. But he might if Talen told him anything which would seem promising during their meal. Reaching an agreement, Louie walked off to the Stranger's Welcome talking on the way to see if there was "anything interesting lately Talen?"
Louie Wein
I don't cry wolf

Character sheet

Social Call (Talen)

Postby Talen Stirling on November 4th, 2011, 9:00 pm

Talen sighed, and his eyes darted back to the beginnings of his supper as Louie went on. Perhaps it wouldn't be worth it, being pried for information throughout the evening, just for a free dinner. He returned his light eyes to Louie and give him a sharp glance, before he shrugged as if giving up. "Allright, I'm not one to say no to dinner at The 'Welcome." He turned around sharply and went to get a coat and his scarf, throwing the one over his shoulders and wrapping the white scarf spotted with a pinkish tint around his neck.

Louie was usually avoided by alot of people. It was scary, knowing that what you might say end up as written words in the paper. Did you really want people to read and think about what you did, what you thought and said? The otherwise unremarkable man had an almost terrifying aura because of his work, at least to someone like Talen who preferred to keep his thoughts and actions his own. Besides, some things he couldn't speak too much of, but most he just didn't want to...

"More than you can even begin to imagine.." His tone dropped abit, as memories shaded his features with worry. There was the blood writing, the mysterious travels, and the creature on the road... But now that he thought about it, none of those things had been anywhere near heroic, or beautiful. It had all been bloody, terrifying, and full of death and destruction that he had no control over.

He forced a coy smile, and they passed quickly through the streets, in occasional smalltalk about the weather and the harvest. The doors to the tavern appeared quickly amongst the colourful houses, and the pair made their way indoors quickly, Talen stepping back innocently to let Louie take what he assumed to be the paying lead.
Talen Stirling
"What the petch...!?"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Social Call (Talen)

Postby Louie Wein on November 5th, 2011, 3:15 am

For that one moment, did Talen actually consider that his half made dinner was much more worth it than dinner at the Stranger's Welcome even if it meant that he would be Louie? The man would have been offended if some people have not already treated him far worse. Was it actually because they were scared that what they might say is written down on paper? As long as they told the truth and did nothing to be ashamed of why should they bother? Louie of course would not force anything out of anyone though he would do his best to draw out what he needed. All Talen would have to say is that he did not want to say anything and Louie would respect his wished and have a normal conversation though there was no telling what Louie would get from that either.

Talen looked like he was a little worried for some reason or maybe he was just tired. Keeping himself so busy with everything he had to do could actually do that to him. "No I can't imagine" the work or Talen's fears "unless you tell me. Its always good to let it out than keeping it to yourself." When you share it with others, you lessen the burden. Share it with Louie and you might soon find yourself with a lot less than you started with if they were actually interested. Whether it was lucky or unlucky would have to be seen after, when people started to react to it. If you were really unlucky, you might be getting a completely new sort of burden instead.

The truth of what Talen said is prehensible only if he took the initiative. Louie walked into the tavern with Talen following behind him and asking for some degtine as usual unless Talen would "want one" too. Then he would have to call for two. As for what he wanted to eat he just could not decide. He only invited Talen because he wanted to talk. He lured him along with the promise of drink that he just delivered but nothing about food. "Just give me something hot and light." Louie was not really in the mood to eat but since he was already here he might as well save himself the trouble. Now all they had to do is grab a seat and wait.
Louie Wein
I don't cry wolf

Character sheet

Social Call (Talen)

Postby Talen Stirling on November 28th, 2011, 11:31 am

Talen received his own degtine with an elated smile. It seemed quite tempting, especially to drown his growing concern about what he couldn't, and wouldn't, say. Ordering a simple meal of bread, a little meat and various vegetables off Theo's farm and receiving it, he lead himself and Louie to a three-seat table at the side of the room. From there one could be seen throughout there tavern, but also see anyone else. Dark corners simply wasn't his style, and if he wanted no-one to hear what he said it'd be easier in the middle of the crowd anyway.

Sitting down, he downed a quarter of his degtine and hummed a low growl at the strength of the drink, familiar heat flowing through his veins. "So... What'd you wanna talk about?" He looked up at Louie, and listened to any questions or beginning of conversation while absent mindedly picking up and chewing on a lump of rough bread.
Talen Stirling
"What the petch...!?"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Social Call (Talen)

Postby Louie Wein on December 6th, 2011, 2:26 am

Louie took a few sips of his degtine while watching Talen for the opportunity to ask what he really wanted. If what Veldrys had already told him from a few days before was true, then Louie already had a rough idea of what the trouble was. The murderer and so called devil inside of him. But it was not that good an idea to ask Talen that just yet in case the man might get a little bit too excited so Louie just suggested the normal subjects. "Lets talk about your work with the Watch. You know patrolling all around like at the Road? Found anything interesting there? People, beasts...beastly people with devils in them?"

There was no point in sugarcoating the entire thing even if it was asked nicely because in the end Louie just wanted to know what was going on. Without wanting to waste time with any question that Talen might have because Louie was the one asking he would explain that "my web has spread a lot more wider" giving a little hint because the only thing with webs are spiders, symenestras or specifically "Veldrys. He told me you boys found something really interesting in the road. Want to fill me in on it Talen?"

Pulling out a sheet of paper, Louie reread some of his recent findings that "your patrol on the twenty fifth last season at the road you found the writings and Veldrys was rather adamant that I ask you about the Chapterhouse murder too. That is two of four" from the prophecy which Louie was unsure if Talen was one of those Veldrys shared with as well. Clearing his throat for a few moments to let Talen digest it all instead of his free meal he told Talen that "you can start with that" while Louie got started with a few mouthfuls of his own to give Talen the time to explain.
Louie Wein
I don't cry wolf

Character sheet

Social Call (Talen)

Postby Talen Stirling on December 6th, 2011, 12:32 pm

Talen almost coughed at the end of Louie's question, but managed to keep most of a straight face apart from a sharp glance in his direction. What did and didn't he know, and how much of it weren't he telling him? There were things that might be best left unspoken, and things he might not be able to speak about.

"What do you already know? There's no point in repeating myself..." He eyed Louie warily, and sighed at him to show annoyance at his speech about webs. A sigh that quickly turned into a surprised and then bitter frown as he heard who had told him about what they'd seen. So the Symenestra was giving away information that might not be his to keep. Instinctive dislike mixed with annoyance as he remembered his pale visage, but all hatred was swept aside as Louie suddenly assaulted him with cold facts and clear questions.

"The twenty-fifth...?" Pause. Talen almost smiled then, but shook it away as he grasped at this opportunity to avoid worse questions and things he would rather not talk about. "Zagary and I were on a patrol on The Road, as I guess you know." He looked at Louie with an incredulous look, then continued in a absent mindedly hushed voice, "At first, everything seemed calm and normal. Like any summer day. Not even a Zith or a stray beast, untill Zay spotted the writing." He paused, and took a sip of his degtine before continuing, the free meal lying in wait on the table.

"There was something drawn on the wall in blood. A pair of hand prints dragging down, and then words... 'There is a devil inside of me.'" He was being carried away by his own story, and he knew it. It was just so vivid in his mind, even now after several months.

"Couldn't be Zith... They're too dumb. No-one goes that far out on The Road to make a prank. Naturally, we rushed to the dig site." The constantly moving head of the road had several names, but for those who went there it was an everlasting amusement to try and figure out how far it had moved since last time they visited. "At the end of The Road... Was nothing. Darkness was slowly falling, but even as we figured it would be empty, a hollow, childlike but inhuman laughter echoed from atop the cliffs. It subsided, and left alone with the dark we went back to report." He looked at Louie momentarily to gauge his reaction, then set upon his dinner with a fury. Honestly, it hadn't felt bad telling him what had happened. Even if he hesitated to do so.
Talen Stirling
"What the petch...!?"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Social Call (Talen)

Postby Louie Wein on December 14th, 2011, 11:45 pm

Talen's partner: Zagary
Writ: The writings and a pair of handprints dragging down (whose handprints?)
Notes: As far as the dig site
Laughter: hollow, childlike but inhuman from atop the cliffs

It was always interesting to see the reactions when Louie said something that no one expected to hear, or the lack of a reaction. What he could see on Talen was a mixture of both but it was not that which Louie wanted. It was the point where Talen resigned in a way to Louie's questions but to tell Talen what he knew might be giving away what he did not and so Louie decided that "I don't mind if you tell me whatever comes to mind. You won't be repeating since I did not hear it from you and we all know that my other source might be mistaken on some of the facts." It was not that Louie did not trust what Veldrys told him since it was far too detailed to be made up on the spot but he was still uncomfortable with the race as a whole. The symenestra were just too different and there was no telling what was on their mind. That in itself was a lot of cause for suspicion as much as Talen felt.

Thinking back on his conversation with Veldrys, specifically the prophecy, Louie remembered to ask Talen if "Veldrys did tell you about it right? What he gotten from the Chapel?" If not then Louie would just have to wait for a little bit giving only as much as he could get and he started off with comparing "the twenty-fifth. The time where you found the writ large upon the fallen's walls." It was strangely worded for sure and Talen should be able to pick out the uncommon use of language but the second line of the prophecy was all there word for word as he had it in the sheet. What the prophecy said, what was one of the things that Louie wanted to know was "what do you think about this devil?" Everyone would have their own ideas and Louie did not like to discard all possibilities unless it was truly necessary "so what makes you so sure that a zith would not be able to write?" The symenestra are not humans too but the way Veldrys described their history was as if they are a rather sophisticated race. A fact that Louie was really mistaken about.

The last part was a little bit interesting. "You heard a hollow, childlike but inhuman laughter from atop the cliffs? What do you think it is?" he asked a little bit faster as he grew more curious. Louie would like to say "the devil!" right there and there like he has solved it but it was better to not get his hopes up. Talen might still have the answer since "you went back to report then, but I am pretty sure you would have went up and checked the spot on your own after or maybe overheard someone else finding something up there?" If it was part of his report and taken seriously enough someone would be eventually sent to investigate it and Talen as a part of the guard would knew a little bit about it too so Louie pressed on with his attempts that "I am sure you know so why not tell me?" This is after all a pretty important issue to the future of Denval's existance as far as he knew.

So serious that Louie shut his eyes as if lamenting something about the mysterious tragedy at the road as the reaction that Talen would see before setting on his dinner. Taking the time to calm himself down as he concentrated to set his djed on his eyes, Louie would wait until Talen started to speak again to open and see if Talen was really speaking the truth and whether he was keeping anything to himself from the way his aura would be. The longer he used it the more it took out of him until the tantalizing smell of the food broke off his concentration and Louie was forced to cut off the flow and set on his own meal as he continued on listening to Talen if he said anything else.

After some mouthfuls, Louie is going to continue with the subject of "the childlike laughter. Do you remember the handprint's shape and size right now. It could be that..." they might be able to narrow down the suspects now but the idea was appalling if "the handprint was small enough for a child instead." Then they might find the murderer who could also be linked to "the other child. They might not be the same but I want to talk about..." a very distasteful topic to talk about at the dinnertable because it was "the dead one at the Chapterhouse" since Veldrys said that Talen would be a better source of that incident as well. In case Talen did not know about that Louie recited the first part of the prophecy as he had it in his paper for his benefit. "Ware the butterflies of precious paint. Blood" if they were going to talk about what Talen knew about. It was that thought that set Louie on the degtine just because he wanted to stop talking. A truly rare event to happen because no amount of gossip in Denval was ever that bad.
Louie Wein
I don't cry wolf

Character sheet

Social Call (Talen)

Postby Talen Stirling on December 19th, 2011, 12:10 pm

Talen ate silently for a bit, ignoring Louie's questions pointedly untill the worst of his hunger had passed away. He looked up at Louie again with a slightly nervous smile, unaware of the magic he was abusing to gain an advantage in their conversation.

"I went up there with th-- Veldrys." "Symenestra" almost slipped over his lips but he forced the name across his lips. Supposedly and from what he had seen, he were a person more than a creature. "We found nothing. There were no tracks or traces, and I haven't heard anything since." Except that wasn't completely true. But he did not want to tell Louie what he had met on The Road, about Gemma's death and his own failure.

"A child? The dea--" Talen flinched, his brows furrowing deeply in anger as Louie made wild accusations that held part truth and part wrong. "We found the writing before Mihai's death. I am not sure what you're getting at..." He sighed and ate some of the scraps of his meal, waiting nervously for further questions.
Talen Stirling
"What the petch...!?"

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next