[The Stranger's Welcome] Web of Prophecies (Veldrys)

Louie finally got to Veldrys after nearly a season

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Postby Louie Wein on November 21st, 2011, 1:21 am

Gnosis marks: Cian Noc and Theo have some of their own. (A Bullseye?)
The Chapterhouse: The child's murder.
Murderer's devil: Something bad or evil (like anyone won't think that now)
Reminder: Ask Talen about everything he knows (Chapterhouse murder, blood writings) He is probably more involved than he thinks.

Louie gave a chuckle as he listened to what Veldrys had to say. A historian's dream Denval was and Louie himself was privileged to be born in it. It was like fulfilling a life long dream every since the beginning and every step of the way it was closer to getting to the end. "Of course it interests me a lot Veldrys" more than either of them would know but it is still pretty hard to get access to some of the information. If Louie who is working for Captain Astrid has such a hard time getting to point which will even give him a chance to access that wealth of information, what more Veldrys unless the symenestra used his role as the one who had the prophecy from Viratas? That would be very useful in the near future if Louie could get close enough to Veldrys. Perhaps now would be a good time for Louie to change his image as the disliked concerned citizen to the most reliable companion Veldrys got at least until they could get to the bottom of all this. "Well if you are not a savage or a cannibal, I believe we can get along very well" as long as Veldrys did not treat him like one of the women because "I prefer mine free." They can make things a lot more worth it that way.

The part of the prophecy though, Louie had to pause and think. Sometimes when he speaks he gets a little bit too excited ad carried away. "I did not mean that he should do it all for us like a parent doting a baby." Viratas could be very well powerful to stop it all but there should be better things for him to use his power on. That being said his followers here in Denval could use some better help right now because "we are nothing more that blind people dangerously walking around the edge of a cliff." To tell them...something...that they do not know enough about will only force everyone else to act as they think they should in sheer panic. This is very dangerous information so it is important to know and "just how many other people know about this prophecy Veldrys...?" Petch it all. Just when Louie thought he had found something interesting. The Captain. She would know what to do with all of this. As soon as Louie was done here he will need to give her his findings as always. It was her city so she will know best what to do for it which meant that Veldrys would not have to worry much about everyone else knowing any sudden outbursts...in this interview anyway.

While the interesting points Louie wanted to know is about the prophecy, he figured that he already got as much as he could from Veldrys and it is now time to begin searching for other leads. "So there are two..." Louie mumbled to himself. The way Veldrys explained everything so far, Louie could only think that there has only been one incident so far. "That was why you were so convinced it is butterflies?" It should have been well over a month since all those things happened and the one with the child would be hard to find out. "We" as in if Veldrys chose to accompany Louie who had more reason now than ever to meet the witnesses who are still alive instead of the other way around "should talk to them in a few days then." They should already have recovered by then if what Veldrys said earlier was true and the "gnosis marks induced the sickness you say? Why is that?" Is there someone going against the gods right now or are the gods withdrawing in light of all these strange going ons in Denval?

After getting more information only Louie would go to Talen since what he would know branches out of all the other incidents. "So you want me to tell a little bit about what Talen told you?" which Louie assumes is how Veldrys found out about it or that would mean he is doing his job badly when a symenestra knows more about what is going on in Denval. By now Louie would say that they were done for the day unless Veldrys had anything more to say but it would be rude and only annoy the symenestra more if he was rude and direct about it. Munching on what is left of his fruit he asked "So Veldrys. Do you want some lunch or is the fruit enough for you?"
Louie Wein
I don't cry wolf

Words: 69995
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 9:11 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Veldrys on November 22nd, 2011, 2:35 pm

„Do you think so?“ Veldrys asked as Louie said he believed that they could get along very well if he wasn’t a savage or a cannibal. From the tone of his voice it was obvious that the Symenestra had his doubts about this. Associating with a man that seemed to have so many connections certainly had ist advantages – he still wanted to take a look at Louie’s notes – but on the other hand he probably wouldn’t be able to resist the urge to constantly look over his back to see what the „concerned citizen“ was doing. He didn’t think that he would ever be comfortable in the human’s presence.

„Anyway, I prefer my women free as well“, he remarked. „I have no interest in women that don’t have a choice. I prefer a partner that is my equal in every way.“ He wasn’t sure if he’d ever be able to find such a person though. A Symenestra’s kiss was painful, and his love could kill, and no women would ever come to his bed willingly unless she was a priestess of Nikali or a fool. He didn’t reveal any of that to Louie though. The human was not the kind of person he would willingly share his worries with.

„That we are“, he agreed as Louie stated that they were nothing more than blind people dangerously walking around the edge of the cliff. „We are blind, and yet we can be happy that we aren’t deaf as well and that we aren’t completely crippled. It could always be worse.“ He sighed. He wasn’t sure if he believed his own words. He didn’t think that Viratas would suddenly change his mind, pity them and help them if he dropped on his knees in the chapel.

„As for how many people know about the prophecy … I’ve told a few, people that I thought could be of help. I thought it unwise to reveal it to every single citizen of Denval lest they start to panick. I’m sure you’ll understand that.“ He hoped that Louie wouldn’t spread all the things he had just told him, but be halfway reasonable. He seemed just like the kind of person that enjoyed such things. Maybe it would be better to stand up and leave right now, but on the other hand it was useful to discuss the matter with a man that was so well informed.

„I’m not sure“, he murmurred. "I’m not sure why using their gnosis marks makes them sick. They couldn’t tell me, and I have no idea whether it only affects them or whether I will get sick if I use my gnosis as well.“ Even though the issue worried Veldrys greatly, he remained calm. He just wasn’t comfortable showing his feelings in front of a man like Louie. No, he would never lose his composure.

„As for what Talen told me – very little“, he admitted. „He was on a patrol on the Road on the 25th, last season. According to what he said he expected to find Zith, but found strange markings near the cliffs instead, that writing about the devil that I told you about. That’s all. And the fruit is enough for me, thank you. I’m not particularly hungry.“
Veldrys
Player

Words: 401625
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Louie Wein on December 6th, 2011, 3:02 am

"Maybe?" Veldrys today at least had dispelled some of the illusions that Louie had of the symenestras being inhuman monsters. Something that he should also rectify with his students at the academy soon enough but he would need help with that. He could work on that later when he had more time especially if all symenestra had the same idea as Veldrys for free women. But "by equal do you mean your own kind?" which would be good since there would be less of a risk of kidnappings if Veldrys was just lying. However that was not a thought that Louie would voice out openly and he joked a little to lighten the mood by telling Veldrys that "it is a pity. I sometimes meet the newcomers to Denval and some are indeed interesting. But since you are only into a very specific type I will only be able to introduce you to the symenestra ones. A hard task because" as Veldrys should be able to tell from Louie's ignorance throughout, "I don't meet much and I don't think many would actually come to Denval either...except you. Maybe you will find another historian and then you will be equal in every way." A Wein-win. Veldrys gets a partner and Louie can get more information and knowledge.

It was not that Louie wanted to argue for the sake of it but just, it was frustrating to be stuck in the dark like this. "Being deaf would not really make a difference with the cliff though to me being crippled seems more advantageous. At least we don't risk falling off though I suppose we can just sit and wait for the same effect. But what difference would that make Veldrys? Someone would still have to come and save us then" like a hero, if not a god or at the worst scenario, another danger which threatens them all. "So you see," what they need is ways to get out of it like "information. It can help prepare us if we have enough or it can ruin us if we lack it. You can tell what I want Veldrys if your prophecy is bad as it sounds" but unfortunately as it seems to be, there is nothing more to be gotten from Veldrys today besides some of the current events and the prophecy.

And the prophecy was only told to a few people who can help "so I can guess that one of them is Talen?" It was just something that Louie had to confirm since he would without a doubt go talking to Talen next and "you are right about it being unwise" to reveal to everyone which was also why Louie had to confirm who some of them are so he would not accidentally let it out. This knowledge was more of a burden than anything else and something that Louie would not want to force on another person even more than causing a panic. With all the fearsome events which happened and more to follow according to the prophecy, it would be inevitable which was why to Louie that was not that good a reason.

Another thing which might cause a panic at least for the religious crowd is the one about the gnosis marks and "you are unsure if it is an isolated incident? Have you put it to a test yet just to see? I don't think that it is pretty good to live in fear like that." The issue with the gnosis marks did not really matter to Louie. Just that if there was really something effecting this marked people, it would be good for him to know in case he needed further dealings with them just like he has with Veldrys here. Louie would not want to be stuck useless and at a lost when something like that happens. It would be pretty bad for his image to himself and others as someone with certain capabilities to himself even if he lacked the more important ones.

"Don't worry about Talen then. I'll tell you if I find anything important but if I need something more from you, I hope you will oblige as well just as I would for you." The offer as it was is more to just see if Veldrys would be more receptive to more meetings in the future if they needed it. "I just have to find you at the Chapel right?"
Louie Wein
I don't cry wolf

Character sheet

Postby Veldrys on December 10th, 2011, 7:23 pm

„Not necessarily“, Veldrys replied. „There was a time when I couldn’t imagine being with anybody ut another pureblood Symenestra, but that has changed. No, when I said equal I meant somebody of equal intelligence, equally independant and free. I find intellectual qualities much more important than something as trivial as race.“ He shrugged his shoulders. „But I’m not actively looking for a partner right now, so you don’t have to introduce me to anybody, Mister Wein.“ He didn’t tell Louie why he wasn’t looking. There were some things that the concerned citizen was better off not knowing. „And I’m aware that there are few of my kind in Denval. In fact I’ve only met one since I came here. Alvena Celandine, a young woman. Maybe you have met her?“

„You consider being crippled more advantageous?“ he asked incredulously and shook his head. „Why? Because you’ll be unable to try and climb the cliff in the first place if you are crippled and thus won‘t fall off? I dare to disagree. I’d rather not just sit here and wait, Mister Wein. We have to do something. But yes, information is important. It can help us prepare ourselves or ruin everything if we lack it. And unfortunately we are lacking it right now.“

„Talen knows more than most“, he replied. „But I don’t remember if I told him the actual words of the prophecy.“ Talen’s attitude had been slightly problematic. The young man had seemed to be very reluctant to work together with a Symenestra. Besides, at the time Veldrys had been too busy thinking about the things they might find at the cliffs to think of the prophecy and that it might be a good idea to talk to Talen about it. „If you want to talk to him about it when you meet him I don’t see any harm though.“

„No, I haven’t tested it yet“, he said. „Maybe I should do it. Maybe I should use my gnosis and try to find out if it makes me sick.“ He was an outsider. He had neither been marked by Rak’keli nor by Bala. Theoretically he shouldn’t get sick, but still, a small amount of worry remained. You could never know for sure.

„Of course, if you need more from me, you’ll just have to let me know“, he replied. He didn’t particularly like Louie, but he couldn’t help but admit that the man had his uses. He would just have to be very careful with his answers. „And you are right, I’m usually at the Chapel. Sometimes I can also be found in the city, treating my patients, but most often I’m in the Chapel. I assume that this was it, Mister Wein? Is there anything else you’d like to ask me before we end this meeting?“
Veldrys
Player

Words: 401625
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Louie Wein on January 16th, 2012, 8:54 pm

"Then since you offered, I will not hesitate" Louie agreed with a smile raising his glass before drinking up. "Yes it has ended but you are always welcome to join me for dinner" preparing to go and make his order but even if the symenestra would remain it will still prove as a pleasant dinner. For what it was worth any topic that they could speak over the meal would not be as depressing as the contents of the notes that he has taken. Those notes as soon as Louie reached his home were taken out again at the table and spread in front of him as he arranged the information in one of his many journals, mainly for his personal use.

The Prophecy:

After my meeting with the symenestra Veldrys who has been very cooperative, the conclusion that I got is that the god Viratas indeed appeared before him but not for the reasons that the populace believes. Veldrys seems to be the recipient of a rather strange prophecy but why him is still unclear. The same way with the comparison he did with himself being picked by the chaplain for the ritual. The prophecy,

Ware the butterflies of precious paint
Writ large upon the fallen's walls
Find the root of entropy's taint
Fuse the orbs ere Denval falls.

ties to a few disturbing events in Denval which was pointed out such as the murders and the attack on two prominent members of our society, Cian Noc and Theo but even with this revelation connecting the two together more questions seem to have appeared than the answers. So far going down the prophecy the first three lines of the prophecy seems to be fulfilled with prominent subjects of butterflies, writs and entropy from what I have heard having not experienced or seen them for myself. I fear that the last line where "Denval falls" is inevitable unless we can find out more about those orbs. Unfortunately as Veldrys has pointed out the facts may cause widespread panic so I would not know who "we" would be. I hope it will not be me either because while I want to be in the middle of this finding out everything I can, I do not want it to be riding on my shoulders.

I really do hope that this will not be the last things I get to investigate about but I will try and see it through to the end.

LouieW

Once it was done, Louie put the journal away in its hiding place. Seperate from his notes which were just points and information no one would be able to put together once they were in their respective books. One about other species for the information and history Louie got about the symenestras, one specifically for events which happen in Denval and finally one about his thoughts about the various people in Denval. While mostly it contains information about people he interviews when entering Denval as part of his job it was always fulfilling to know that he also would be able to constantly add things when he found out new things about the rest.
Louie Wein
I don't cry wolf

Character sheet

Postby Legion on January 25th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Thread Award

Louie: Writing +5, Intelligence +2, Investigation +5, Philosophy +1
Symenestra Race
Symenestra Culture
Denval Viratas Prophecy
Divine Focus on Denval
Veldrys of the Vervain Web

Veldrys: Teaching +5, Intelligence +2, Investigation +3, Philosophy +1
Interviews
Divine Focus on Denval
Louie Wein

Comments & Consequence
Lovely plot thread! There is a bit of gray regarding some of the intelligence/investigation/interrogation aspects of the thread and thus I chose what I felt was most applicable to both the thread and your respective PCs. Feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns. I’m more than happy to discuss.
Legion

Denval Forum | Denval News | Denval Lore
Lhavit Forum | Lhavit News | Lhavit Lore

I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Legion
Boom, backflip.

Words: 114213
Joined roleplay: September 10th, 2011, 6:23 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Featured Contributor (1)

Previous