[The Stone Garden] Tranquility (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Alexander Vasiliev on November 24th, 2011, 5:06 am

The dying fall winds slowly brushed through Alexander's thin hair, the cool breeze foreshadowing the cold winter months ahead. Although it was a beautiful day, Alexander felt nothing, only a looming cloud over his head. Five years ago, his father had been executed for using "dangerous" magic in public when threatened by a bandit. His mother passed away when he was born. Orphaned, the Syliran Knights took him in, teaching him unarmed combat and history, along with mathematics and other things he had no care for. Ever since his father had died, life slowly began a downward spiral. Alexander had to struggle and work hard to put measly meals in front of him every night, often giving into fatigue. The only talent he had, Reimancy, was useless and shunned in Syliras. He had no friends, as he was afraid of losing them. The only sacred minutes of free time he had were spent in the Stone Garden mourning his father, even though there was no grave to mourn to. Finally having arrived at his destination, Alexander sat near a pond, lost to his thoughts.

"How would life have been if he hadn't died? If I hadn't been orphaned? Why was fate such a cruel mistress?", These questions bounced back and forth between Alexander's mind, until he was lost in a sea of "What if's?" His thoughts kept escalating until he started to silently sob. Several minutes later, Alexander realized the matter was out of his hands. He couldn't bring his parents back to life, or rewind the strings of time. Slowly regaining his composure, he sat up straight and stopped sobbing. Looking side to side, then deciding the coast was clear, he very slowly began to release a very minute amount of Res, playing around with it in his hands, morphing it from a tiny cloud into a small fireball, it's heat thoroughly warming Alexander and soothing his frantic mind. Deciding to challenge himself, Alexander remembered his fathers instructions, never before having succeeded."Release your Res as a thin gas, creating a cloud. Send some Res down in thin spikes, transforming them into lightning on their way down." After minutes of concentration, Alexander attempted to create the lightning, making it as small as possible as to not attract attention. Having succeeded, after fierce concentration and minutes of painstaking waiting, Alexander cleaned up the small scorch marks on the ground, and settled down for a nap.

Alexander awoke some hours later to the sound of chirping birds. Repeatedly blinking his eyes, he slowly sat up, brushed the dirt off of his shirt and pants, and ate a small peasant meal to calm the gnawing in his stomach. Amazed at the tranquil landscape surrounding him, he remembered his successful lightning storm, as minute as it was, and played around with his new-found ability. Hopefully, without attracting unwanted attention from the guards, he could finally mess around with some more powerful magic.
Last edited by Alexander Vasiliev on November 24th, 2011, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexander Vasiliev
Player

Words: 11661
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2011, 9:11 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on November 24th, 2011, 8:46 am

Jonathon yawned, strolling through the scenic gardens. Even here, there was people, but it was much less like the rest of Syliras and a lot more like the Bronze Woods Jonathon called home. Even on one of his trips to Syliras, he needed a bit of time in the wilderness. It's like he was homesick, and the gardens eased that sickness.

As he meandered about the gardens, he came across a fellow wandered. Due to Jonathon's naturally light step, a product of his profession as a hunter, it seemed the man hadn't noticed him yet. Not wanting to surprise him, Jonathon knocked his shoe against a rock, drawing attention his way.

Jonathon, after catching the other man's eye, nodded. "Hail. What brings you to the Bron- Erm, the Stone Gardens?" Probably meditation or something. That seemed to be what this place was for; a little slice of nature in a much larger city. Truth be told, Jonathon would have preferred a slice of city in a much larger wilderness. Although, that is kind of true, if you compare Syliras to Sylira at large...
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Words: 71575
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2010, 7:35 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Jabari on November 24th, 2011, 5:39 pm

Jabari would bring his head inwards, peering around idly before stopping dead in his tracks. "M-Mother of crows!" He'd gawk, nearly falling onto his behind! "T-Tropical.." He'd murmur, slowly walking in before stumbling into a rock, and falling forward, letting out a yelp as he'd hit home, slamming face first into one of the nearest puddles, a wave of semi-mud splattering the ground around him.

He'd let out a low growl, slowly pushing himself upwards to wipe the muck off of his face, and soon spitting out some unwanted mud, wiping his hands on the ground he'd push himself up, feline-like reflexes allowing him to land peacefully on his feet.

Whether or not Jonathon saw his mess he ignored him, striding over to a tree and looking upwards, "So -this- is where the wood is." He'd say, the tone showing that he obviously had been looking for some for some time now!

(I might not reply for 1 - 1 1/2 hours, please be patent!)
Jabari
Sand Walker

Words: 4971
Joined roleplay: November 23rd, 2011, 2:11 pm
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet

Postby Alexander Vasiliev on November 24th, 2011, 6:22 pm

OOCSorry if I put a late reply, thanksgiving takes up a lot of my time preparing things.

Alexander, focusing intently on his task of practicing Reimancy, was startled when he heard a noise behind him. Swinging around, Alexander noticed a young man intently gazing upon him. Barely paying attention, he realized the man had asked why he was here. "Whenever I have free time, I come to the garden to mourn my late parents." he replied, leaving out the reimancy part, in fear of punishment for practicing magic. Although on the outside Alexander maintained absolute calm, his mind was in a flurry of panic. Had the man noticed his magical ability? Would he alert the guards? Was he going to shun Alexander for the rare gift? He would have to be more careful in the future he thought, or go outside the city walls. He already had to be careful washing his glyphing runes off of his hands constantly to avoid being recognized as a mage, and now this. Realizing that he was maintaining an awkward silence, Alexander asked,"My name is Alexander, and you are...?"

A few chimes later, he noticed something. Someone was walking through the garden, and stumbled on a rock some distance away, falling face-flat into a small puddle. Alexander briefly pondered why so many people were in the garden today. After a few seconds, he noted the man was slowly rising, and regarding a tree. Deciding to ask the man if he was okay, Alexander slowly rose, the cramps in his legs aching from sitting all afternoon. Once he staggered over to the man, he asked,"Are you okay? I saw you fall back by that puddle, and I wanted to make sure you weren't hurt. If I may be so forward, why were you so..." he searched for the right word in his head, and found it a few seconds later. "detached from your surroundings?" he amended.
Last edited by Alexander Vasiliev on November 24th, 2011, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alexander Vasiliev
Player

Character sheet

Postby Jabari on November 24th, 2011, 8:19 pm

Jabari would give a goofy grin, rising up onto his feet, "Yes -- I from -- Err, I am from another land, the barren lands." He murmured, still mesmerized into his surroundings, he'd shift slightly to look upwards, his black optics opening to gaze silently upwards.

"O--h!" He would snap back to attention, "Oh! I'm sorry. I'm Jabari, and you are?" He'd murmur, a soft grin itching into his lips, holding out his hand for a handshake, copper skin showing true now.
Jabari
Sand Walker

Character sheet

Postby Jonathon DuFraine on November 24th, 2011, 8:26 pm

Ah, so his guess had been correct. This man was in deep thought, although of the mourning kind, not the medititive kind. Awkward. "I apologize. I didn't mean to disturb you in your time of grief." He noticed, however, that while the man had an aura of sadness about him that was palpable, he also came off as incredibly nervous. Jonathon didn't notice the paranoia, though, since Jonathon himself was so often consumed by it.

"Jonathon DuFraine. I'm a hunter." He stepped forward to shake the man's hand, wondering if the griever would be too nervous to do even that. Whether or not he accepted, Jonathon decided to state his own reasons being here, as Jonathon already knew Alexander's. "I live in the Bronze Woods, and I'm not one for the bustle of civilization. When I feel overwhelmed, I come here."

Not a chime later, another man stumbled onto the scene. Quite literally; he had managed to connect his face to a small, muddy puddle. "The... wood? You mean trees? Because they're sort of all over the place..." He gestured vaguely about him, at both the garden and at the vast Bronze Woods outside the city proper. He looks like a foreigner, probably from the desert. That would make sense, if he is so entranced by simple trees...

His next words proved Jonathon's guess true. Interesting. He gave the desert-dweller a solemn nod.
Jonathon DuFraine
Vigilant Hunter

Words: 71575
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2010, 7:35 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet

Postby Jabari on November 24th, 2011, 8:37 pm

Jabari's mouth would drop, "Seriously?" He muttered, turning to the human. "You mean there are tree's.. -ALL OVER HERE-?" Jabari would place a hand on his face, sighing idly. "I couldn't find any of these.. Large tree's to make wood for a fire, I slept in the dark and coldness last night!" He scoffed, yet again shifting onto his back foot. "Anyways, who're you?" He asked, black optics looking up at the man.

Jabari was in an oddly good mood, his windswept hair flying infront of his eyes every once and a while, covering the black-optics, he still held his grin as he wiped the rest of muck from his face, "Refreshing." He'd mutter more to himself then anyone, nodding idly.
Jabari
Sand Walker

Character sheet

Postby Alexander Vasiliev on November 24th, 2011, 9:33 pm

After shaking both of their hands, Alexander listened to them and introduced himself. "They seem like good people..." He thought to himself. Still, he couldn't judge a book by its cover. Although neither of them seemed to notice his Reimancy, he couldn't be sure if they were going to tell a guard as soon as he wasn't looking or just honestly hadn't seen it. Returning to the present, a thought suddenly struck in his head. Alexander looked into his coin purse, and noticed he hadn't spent a single copper Miza of the money he received upon leaving the Knight's care. Feeling lonely, he inwardly gathered the courage to invite them out for a drink. A nice warm drink would do well to warm his spirits, and he could use the company. "Umm...er... I was wondering if you two wanted to go to the Inn for a drink tomorrow?" Alexander nervously asked. He calmed himself, deciding that no matter the outcome, he would still go to the tavern and enjoy a drink. Yes, that sounded great. Maybe even gossip with the people there. All in all, he would have an interesting night, alone or in a group, that didn't matter.

Alexander Vasiliev
Player

Character sheet

Postby Jabari on November 25th, 2011, 12:35 am

Jabari would look upwards, stands of darkbrown hair hiding his complexion, "Err-, do you mean the Ale?" His face would contort into something of pure disgust, "Why would anyone want ale?!" He'd sputter, his hands coming out to cover his mouth, "It tastes worst then the vulture bile -- Is there any other drinks we can have?" He'd ask with confusion, "Because, I don't like ale." He'd give a thoughtful nod, his lack of knowledge in this language had caused him to exclaim things, but no matter.[frame=black]

((Sorry for the short post. >.<'))
Jabari
Sand Walker

Character sheet

Postby Alexander Vasiliev on November 25th, 2011, 3:42 am

"I never intended only Ale, and I understand if you wish not to drink it. There's always the option of beer or wine. If neither choice pleases you, it's mostly to get together and chat, the drinks are unimportant." Alexander assured him. A sudden thought struck his head, Alexander had never been to the tavern before. Would it be pleasant enough? Were the drinks really that horrible? What did they serve for food? Was it a run-down shack lamely labeled as a tavern? These thoughts kept invading his otherwise calm attitude. Realizing he might come off awkward to Jabari, he quickly re-masked his face with his common, cool attitude. Although, he realized, Jonathan, if that was his name, had not yet accepted the invitation.

"Jonathan, the offer still stands for you to join us tomorrow, if that is what you wish." Alexander said, intently gazing upon his eyes. Even without Jonathan's company, he was inwardly ecstatic that someone had accepted his invitation. It had been a long while since he had had a friend, or company for that matter. Sure, the Syliran Knights cared for him, but he didn't consider them "friends" per se. Bidding both of the young men farewell, Alexander rushed home, eager to prepare for the next day. He ate a loaf of bread he received from the Knights upon his departure, chugged several mouthfuls of oh-so delicious water from his waterskin, and bathed, preparing for the day ahead. "People truly underestimate the power of good water" Alexander thought to himself, going to bed early in order to make it to the tavern the next day.

OOCDon't worry about it Jabari, I did the same thing, single paragraphs are fine, as long as they contribute to the plot, and aren't 3 sentences. Also, if you guys accept, meetng at the tavern would be around the 13th Bell (3 PM)
Alexander Vasiliev
Player

Character sheet

Next