[Flashback] Mind Your Own (Jahssasyuri)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Rhuryc on November 26th, 2011, 2:05 am

15 Autumn, 506AV
Castle Commons

Lawless was never so appealing. Was that why he was here? At least he fit in.

Among the denizens of criminal city, Rhuryc was no bastion of difference. His clothing was worn, his chin decorated with stubble and an ill-kept countenance, he was just another face in the ever-revolving traffic. Masses of misfits made their own ways beneath the cloudless, afternoon sky, relishing in the cool weather of autumn and simplicity of day-to-day life. Throngs crowded the varied streets leading into the city and the center of the Commons. Merchants hailed the casual passerby, peddling grains and other foodstuffs while those with coin took what they could, and those without looked on in envy. More than a few held other desires. At first glance there was a calm facade; like any other city, the inhabitants were content with their routines, but beneath it lay an insidious undercurrent unique to the lawless.

It was impossible to ignore. The young man was haggard, run down. In his travels across Sylira he had come into far more than he wished and here, now, with his eyes open, perhaps it was his wish to forget what he was. So he molded. He followed. Rhuryc became just another traveler. He certainly looked the part. Each step clinked in-tandem with the blade at his waist and the cacophony of materials that echoed from the pack upon his back, all of them that deemed him as an oddity. A foreigner. An interest. And a mark.

He saw the boy. Rhuryc watched him approach. At first the young one staggered, he wondered for a bit until he disappeared into a crowd then reemerged on a direct route to the vagabond. When they collided he felt the knife cut the bindings of hispurse and noticed his weight shift. The boy muttered something. An apology. Rhuryc did not stop him. Instead, he turned his head and watched his coin sink into the underworld, beneath the surface, perhaps gone forever. How strange. He stood for some time, a statue among the congestion of city life. There were no guards. Those that witnessed the act did not care. Rhuryc was intrigued, but before he had time to be curious he started after the thief. He was going to need his money, after all.

Rhuryc was not much of a tracker, but then again the boy was not very aware. Certain of his supremacy the thief did not so much as even look back. Rhuryc wound about the streets, diligent in his task, he ducked into alleys and watched the shadow of his target, waiting for it to disappear before he followed it around corners. Their dance found its way deeper and deeper until the ruckus of commons was lost, replaced by the quiet tones of the Warehouses. When he finally left the series of alleyways Rhuryc was forced to pause, his gaze sweeping about the rows of surprisingly organized structures. Large, closed off buildings sectioned off a great deal of space as some of the less savory gangs of the city made their ways around, idling about in one fashion or another.

One group in particular drew Rhuryc's attention. Mainly, the group of fellows that were making a payday of his coin purse. He reached for the hilt of his blade.
Last edited by Rhuryc on November 27th, 2011, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Words: 466305
Joined roleplay: July 21st, 2010, 7:22 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jahssasyuri on November 26th, 2011, 5:37 am

The eyes of a cold-blooded killer gave its uninvited attention to the lower ground, stalls and the common people in the deepest reaches of its corners. The slits had a background of brownish gold, long black hair let down as it covered the Dhani's exposed back. Licking her lips, Yuri enjoyed laying against the balcony of a home that had no one it due to them being out for the next few days. She took the key from the husband while he was off in an drunken rage in the local bar/tavern, so it was payback in a way.

But none of the busy city streets caught her attention as much as a boy who, through rumors, was said to be connected to a lowly gang that started to rise up. He stole from people, quick and easy during the commotion of criminal acts that was commonplace for Sunberth, slowly gaining enough coin to buy out contacts and intel in the future. The group wasn't stupid, until they allowed Yuri to be contracted by the Daggerhand to deal with it. Doing occasional business with them keeps any mishaps from happening to her belongings most of the time when shes in their territory.

Yuri observed, not wanting to miss a single detail as all the events began to record, her memory being unique due to Hyperthymesia. She can remember every single day of her life since about 10 years or so of being hatched, not forgetting faces, locations, the acts shes committed and a whole another set of information that has been in her brain for longer than a century. But a tale for another time. Yuri don't know what type of exchange happened, but the flash of glint gave off the impression that some type of metal was shown, maybe a talisman or some signal. The features of the individual that the boy passed didn't really show, concealment of identity was praised by Yuri since she identified those people as sneaky types.

The boy went off running while the figure looking like any regular traveler turned to him before starting to follow, a chase was the impression that the Dhani caught, as her eyes followed them until out of sight. Remembering the route they were taking. her memory of the city layout and the location of the particular group, Yuri took a minute to deduct the best route for her to travel to catch them unawares and in time for a kill if needed.

Yuri went through the streets, hoping to end up on the opposite side of where the thief and the figure would hypothetically be at. Quiver on her back and Shortbow in hand, the Dhani looked to go through the less populated areas of town to not attract attention. This was going to take awhile, even going at the fastest speed possible to make it look like she was in a slight hurry and not exactly trying to complete an assassination contract.
Jahssasyuri
Player

Words: 51040
Joined roleplay: November 22nd, 2011, 4:36 am
Race: Dhani
Character sheet

Postby Rhuryc on November 27th, 2011, 4:29 am

They heard him coming. The shriek of steel announced his presence. All at once the gaggle of street rats turned to their new enemy; some balked, others drew weapons of their own. Rhruyc paused not five feet from the lot, his sword held idly at his side while he drew a shield from his back. Though he spoke of his mercy, his eyes told tales of violence. Secretly he wanted little more than for them to make a move.

"Return the coin and I will grant you your lives. This is your only warning." His voice was dark, low.

"Whut 'xactly do'ya 'xpect'ta do-" The shield took the man in the face. He flew back before his companions could react and hit the cobble with a sickening thud. His dagger clanked noisily with his decline. And it was on. Two rushed him at once. One found himself at the blunt front of a shield in his stomach, the other swept wildly at air, his short blade landing no mark. Rhuryc was faster than he looked. He spun between the pair, his first strike incapacitating one while his sword came about for the other, the edge slicing through leather and flesh in a tide of red. The remaining two faulted. One ran, the other raised his weapon in a pathetic display of defiance. With a grunt, Rhuryc stepped forward and knocked the long knife out of the thief's hand.

Perhaps on a better day he would have let the second fellow go. Instead, he removed his arm from the shield and took a wide step forward, the metal disc following in an impressive hurl. It took the thief in the back of legs and sent him spiraling forward.

"Now, the coin." He turned to face the rest just as a dagger came for his neck.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jahssasyuri on November 27th, 2011, 5:42 am

Having to forego the quieter streets to get to her destination faster, Yuri did a sharp cut through an alleyway that gave sight to the back of a weapon merchant and his stall. The instinct of being on the hunt really kicked now, the sunlight simulating the Dhani's senses as she felt like a half-step quicker. Two steps closed the 10 foot gap, an arm out as it went to grab a mundane steel dagger that had the hilt almost falling off the table.

Swift burst of air went by the woman in a green dress, most likely filling in for her husband as he must of had errands. She let out a small yelp, being frightened by the sudden movement of Yuri's run. The dagger was gone, but the woman closed her eyes in fear aswell, not being able to see the Dhani run off through the clear pathways that occasionally appeared.

Another sharp cut into an alley was timed very well, the sound of clashing shields and swords was within earshot, mildly muffled by the commotion nearby caused by the woman. Due to being able to cover short distances in a few seconds, the dagger held in the right very tightly was held closely to Yuri's body. She was in a small alleyway that was close enough to be able to throw the dagger in a somewhat accurate manner and not be seen as her head peeked out.

The man was handling himself well, an excellent throw with the shield knocked down the boy to the floor. But Yuri had no time to marvel at his accomplishments, looking at a thief getting bold, unsheathing a dagger slowly as he took one step forward to slice at the fighters throat. Readying the dagger while the thief was preparing the attack, Yuri threw the dagger with the best accuracy possible, anticipating the movement as much as her ability allowed while aiming towards the stomach area.

Mid-slice, the flying dagger caught the thief in the stomach, spinning quickly before ripping his clothes, causing a deep wound and landing to the far side, about 15 or so feet from where actual combat was taking place. Immediately after letting go of the dagger, the Dhani rolled out and was on one knee, nocking up an armor piercing arrow as she provided the necessary "artillery" support to stop any sneak attacks from happening again.

Yuri didn't care for his life other than helping him survive would make hers easier.
Jahssasyuri
Player

Character sheet

Postby Rhuryc on November 27th, 2011, 12:08 pm

Rhuryc watched the man die. The sight was common enough these days. For just a moment their eyes locked. Fear, regret, a question. Why? He did not have an answer. Instead, he raised his blade and swung it through the air, severing the boy's head from his neck. Better a quick death. Better life. No matter. Rhuryc stepped over the body as it hit the ground, his sword held low and unattended. Those that were still alive were no condition to fight and posed little threat else-wise. He scooped up what remained of his coin pouch and shoved it back into his belt before turning to face his 'rescuer'.

Not what he expected. Was it ever?

"You have my thanks." He spoke, his voice ringing out over the silent street. He made his way through what remained of the gang, stopping once he reached his shield to retrieve it. The man nearby muttered for mercy. Rhuryc ignored him. "But that is all. I imagine you would not have intervened if you did not have reason enough of your own."

He glanced long enough in the woman's direction to take notice of her more prevalent features. Beautiful, unique. Strange. Something was off about her.
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jahssasyuri on November 27th, 2011, 3:48 pm

Other than having a stoic expression and not caring much for people's lives whether friend or foe in contracts, Yuri was strangely glad she had came in time to save the man. Very tense with the bow strung, the Dhani was half listening to the man as her eyes locked on a body moving. The thief that was thrown off his feet from the shield was making slight groan sounds and there was to be no chances taken in the business Yuri survived in.

The twang made by the bow was followed by a crisp cut in the air, the arrow made specifically for piercing armor ripped through the man, gutting him efficiently. If the warrior wanted to finish him off, he was much obliged to but if not, bleeding out would work too. Nocking up a second arrow as the warrior mentioned her own reasons for saving him, it fired and missed the original mark, skidding across the thieves throat, the one who took a shield to the stomach. Blood trailed down from where his Adam's apple would be, choking on his own blood would hopefully be good enough.

Standing up, Yuri nocked up one more as she walked towards the man and aimed it at the one pleading for mercy. Basically now standing right next to Rhuryc, Yuri inquired, "After everyone here is killed, that is when we can exchange pleasantriesss darling. Too dangerous to still have men able to move when they are your enemy, no?" A smirk slithered on the snake-womans face before continuing on, "What you think we should do with this one?"
Jahssasyuri
Player

Character sheet

Postby Rhuryc on November 27th, 2011, 7:56 pm

When the arrow flew Rhuryc assumed he was the target. He snapped up, shield brought to bare as the missile sunk into his very first unfortunate assailant. Anger flashed in his countenance. Rage. Pure, boiling, raw emotion. He did not have long to stew for when the second projectile was knocked he took to action. A loud 'Clang!" echoed across the otherwise silent street. Rhuryc's shield intercepted, sending it spiraling off course and harmlessly to the ground. He raised his blade and lowered the edge at the woman, his eyes dark, narrow, his voice decadent with hostility.

"These men are beaten. If you dare to loose another arrow I will see to it that you find your honor in death."

He advanced, his senses heightened, adrenaline still pumping from the previous engagement. Everything was sharper. He watched her movements, her actions, he heard the gurgling of dying thief while the remaining two silently begged for their lives, but most of all he felt his own anger. This was not how men died.

"Withdraw your weapon, woman, I make it a habit of speaking truths."
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jahssasyuri on November 27th, 2011, 8:14 pm

The sudden movement made Yuri stiff, heightened perception and primal instincts going through the mind and adrenaline overflowing the blood stream. A distinct disadvantage was present and if it was to come to blows, Yuri didn't think she could outrun him but outwitting was a different story. But stupidity and luck wasn't something to test often, so the Dhani had no choice but withdraw her mission, for a moment.

"Men shouldn't die like this, your right. But its all business, contracts is the only thing I follow as I interpret them. The Daggerhand sent me to disperse their little gang in the most preferred manner of killing them all, but I suppose I can say that a few of them dying forced them to disperse," sighed Yuri with a small chuckle following and a smile that was genuine. Pointing towards the last two men standing with both hands after she put away her bow, Yuri commanded, "Leave now. I hope you understand that the underworld isn't something to be trifled with," in a firm voice that was beyond expectation of her appearance and most case demeanor.

Taking out the bow once more, Yuri walked towards the warrior in a way that he would hopefully not take it as taking an aggressive stance. She stopped about 10 feet away and dropped her bow before taking three steps back and bowing. "Forgive me if I have angered your sense of honor, as I have my own. I am Yuri, of the Jahss family. I have no quarrels with anyone as it is jussst business, so don't misplace my need to complete a contract as a form of not having dignity. I have placed down my precioussss weapon in front of you to show that I am in no hurry to die today, as together we fought well to a point, anyway." Eye contact, simple hand gestures and smiling. The tone of her voice was soothing, and bowing at the end of the first sentence was her best way to sincerely show that she didn't mean harm. A serious pinch that the snake was in.
Jahssasyuri
Player

Character sheet

Postby Rhuryc on November 27th, 2011, 10:41 pm

He listened. Sort of. Trust was always short in the coming, and truth? That was rarer still. Nevertheless Rhuryc lowered his blade. He turned to watch the remaining men scatter, watching them depart without further harm. He would regret that, but for now his attention was focused on this stranger. Her manner was obvious. The way she accommodated him, the bow, she was manipulating him. Whether it was conscious or not remained the only deciding factor.

"You came to my aid." Metal scraped against leather as he sheathed his blade.

"Rhuryc of the Naravane. Retrieve your weapon, we have no reason to quarrel." His own manner was harsh. Blunt. He left little room for interpretation and cared less for subtleties or pleasantries. Both a man of action and misplaced morals; what a queer fellow for such a city. "I owe you a debt of gratitude. Name what it is you wish of me. So long as it is within my ability I will do as you ask."
Rhuryc
Honorific

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Jahssasyuri on November 29th, 2011, 4:17 am

The bluntness of the conversation goes to show the man's personality no doubt, raising an eyebrow was Yuri's first reaction and then a sigh of relief was short coming as the weapons were sheathed. The facial expression of smirking slithered its way on her face, the slit-pupils staring at the man's figure and studying it in a particular way. His facial features showed a battle-weary veteran, been through a lot of things. Been around places it seemed, he didn't have the baby face of a man sheltered from the world since birth until rite of passage into adulthood.

Stepping one foot in front of the other, the Dhani bent over to her pick up the bow before slowing rising up and placing it on her back. The arrows were in the bodies of her dead enemies and she disliked to waste them, so Yuri nodded to the rather tall man, compared to her 5'5 stature. He was in her gratitude? This wouldn't be good for him under other circumstances, but at this point he would be the superior due to him having overwhelming advantages in combat over her.

Walking past him to retrieve her used arrows, a loud hum vibrated from her lungs that signaled her thinking aloud as she pulled the first out from the thief that was knocked down by the shield. It was stuck in there, which was just marvelous. A second or two was needed as a hard tug by Yuri loosened it up before pulling it out completely, accompanied by a small string of blood. Getting up and turning around as she looked straight in the man's eyes, her request was simple.

"Your a fighter of great skill. Teach me to the best of your knowledge, swordsmanship and even some type of unarmed combat if you know it. Unless, I'm asking too much?" It was a rhetorical question in the end, but the tone of voice made it a joke at most.
Jahssasyuri
Player

Character sheet

Next