The Great Hall

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

The Great Hall

Postby Jedo on March 5th, 2010, 7:03 pm

On an adjacent building right below the Grandmaster's office can be found the knight's main hall, a place where the knights can seek refuge away from the busy life which patrolling can give. Judging from the basics of the structure--it is built in the fashion of a modern Syliras townhouse-- was also made to be an emergency shelter for civilians, with a capacity enough to accommodate two hundred souls easily.

The outside of it has a relatively modest appearance, a solid stone building made of granite and wood, much like almost everything else in the city. The knights' coat-of-arms is emblazoned into the facade, with red tiles giving it a more colorful look. Two large tapestries with crimson hue adorn the walls, flanking the carved stone archway that leads to the great hall.

Within the building can be seen a majestic glass mirror overlooking the entire place, covering at least half of the north wall. Its squareish frames are glazed with images of past Grandmasters, with the image of the founders right in the middle facing each other prominently. Flying buttresses are parked along the ceiling, serving as sturdy supports holding up the entire roof, and white lamps of gilded porcelain can be found illuminating the place.

Tables and chairs line up the sides of the main aisle, where a fine red carpet stretches out and leading to a gilded high chair where the grandmaster can preside over meetings and audiences. Racks of weapons and suits of armor in display can also be found, alongside frescoes of past battles with both beasts and the agents of Rhysol, the knights' arch enemies, the cult of the Black Sun.

The place is well lighted and cozy, with a constant breeze humming through it, and while the number of people within fluctuate every now and then depending on the times, the caretaker of the place, an old retired knight named Perdigran Larzin can always be found inside, patrolling the place as if it was his own. Every initiate wishing to join the ranks of the knights must first come to this place and sign a massive old book that lies at the left-most corner of the center aisle, right under a massive portrait of Loren Dyres, the current grandmaster.

Secret :
NPCs: Perdigran Larzin - Caretaker
Jedo
There lies but the horror of the shade.

Words: 14682
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 4:27 pm
Race: Staff account

Re: The Great Hall

Postby Murdoch on March 16th, 2010, 2:03 am

13th Day of Spring, 510 AV

Murdoch didn't often put himself right in the path of the Knights - hell, most of the time he was running the other way. But there was a price to ignoring the guards too often - it made you just as conspicuous as sticking your hand in their pockets.

So he made it a point to wander into The Great Hall every now and then, a piddling amount of silver in his coinpurse and a deck of cards in hand. Besides, it was the only place he could get an honest game. An easy loping stride brought him through the door, unending grace in every step, indolence clear in the lazy smile that touched his lips as she nodded to the nearest guards. A friendly sort, a local fixture, just your average sort of guy who'd stand a pint for anyone with a story and a smile. Especially for a pretty girl.

"Anyone up for a game?" he chuckled.
Last edited by Murdoch on April 2nd, 2010, 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murdoch
Player

Words: 128476
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 11:59 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Jedo on March 23rd, 2010, 7:20 pm

The old keeper Perdigran, who had been busily doing nothing for the longest time, hobbled his way to Murdoch, a trademark grandfatherly smile etched on his face. The wrinkles had grown even more profound than before, a sure sign of deteriorating health. Still he remained as energetic and approachable as ever.

"Why hello there son, ye be challengin' the right man for ye game!" he croaked, his voice broken and gnarled from age. He was probably the oldest of the knights at around 88, and every movement and word showed it. On his waist hung an ancient sword that was half-covered by a sheet of mail armor.

He drew a chair by a side table, cutting through the air with a hand in gesture for the younger man to come closer. "Here, here! Come here ye young one, let us begin the game!"
Jedo

Postby Murdoch on March 24th, 2010, 12:10 am

"Finally! Someone who doesn't think me an old man," Murdoch laughed, giving a little half-bow of respect to the elderly knight as he moved over to join him. He wondered, idly, if this was one of the ones who'd flogged him when he was younger. There was no telling, really, and Doc wouldn't have held it again the man if he had - just doing his job, and he'd been dumb enough to get caught stealing so he couldn't complain too much.

"You look as if you're ready to do battle for a fair maiden's hand, not trade cards with a fellow like me," he said with a chuckle as he sidled up to the table and took his own seat once Perdigran had settled down. "Not that I'm tryin' to run you off, I'd just hate to think of a fair maiden out there waiting for me to finish my bet so you can go about your business," he said with a wink. Then he held out a hand to the elderly knight. "I'm Doc."
Murdoch
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Jedo on March 27th, 2010, 11:02 am

"Aye! It would be me honor to duel thee for such a fine venture laddy!" the old knight replied in zest, tapping the table twice in approval. He then flexed his old and thin arms, with the skin in them hanging loosely from the frames. "And if ye not be careful, thine fair lady might just see what these old bones 'a mine still possess!"

He warmly took the hand, showing that even with his advanced age, he still possessed some measure of strength. "Mine name be Perdigran Larzin, at ye service laddy!" he grinned a toothy smile as he waited for Doc to shuffle his cards and hand over his share. He had not played with anyone for so long that it was quite a relief to see another in the hall.

"So, might this old man inquire as to the purpose of thine visit? Seems to mine old eyes that thine had not come hither just to play cards, eh?"
Jedo

The Great Hall

Postby Murdoch on April 2nd, 2010, 1:36 am

He chuckled and returned the handshake, duly impressed with the old man's strength. You know, as much as Murdoch was impressed by anything.

Cards were shuffled and dealt out to each of them, not a single one displaced as it might have been if he'd been in a gambling house, or playing for money with someone less dangerous.

"Murdoch Kin'rath," he said, fanning out his own cards as he nodded his greeting. "As to my purpose, well. I'm not averse to just playing cards, but it's never a bad thing to hear what goes on in the city from those who enforce its laws. I'm a gambler by trade, and there's enough of my kind who swindle and steal that I always find it best to let those in charge know I'm not with them."

Unlike Perdigran, his accent and choice of words held no formality to it - and, indeed, he'd grown up more common than most, and if the man had an experience with it he'd find the lilt of Sunberth on Murdoch's tongue.
Murdoch
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Trailblazer (1)