To Fetch the Skipper (Open/Job)

A blood drenched path, and a frenzied beast bring within them the taste of the feast.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Darian on November 29th, 2011, 7:51 pm

Timestamp: 3rd of Fall

The rain finally has stopped its endless fall, and with it the unending flow of filth that had so filled the streets the day before. Work went as it did, this time him just finding a place outside the giant tent he learned to be one of Callik's, sitting in the roughly fashioned chair as he kept an eye out for any strangers that might want a look inside at some of the more select wares. It was a simple job, and easy enough to do as it put him away from the crowd that the tent tended to attract, but it was up to him to keep the rabble for bringing in any weapons. Callik didn't need a bloody brawl inside the tent quickly turning murderous after all, and made it very clear to Darian that it was important for him to check each and every person who entered.

From a group of people milling nearby, a small girl emerged from the shadows, threadbare cloak bundled tight about her as she walked unerringly towards him, and the tent entrance he stood watch over. She didn't seem like much, just standing at four feet five, and so very thin, but he knew too appearances could very much be deceiving. She stopped just a few paces from him, her plea frail features twisting into something akin to a smirk as she dipped her head into a low bow before him, before rising up once more.

"T'was told I could be finding something special here, something sure to draw my eye?" The girl stated flatly, her tone and the breathy air of her voice reflecting a hint of whimsicalness. A sigh begged to be expressed from the weary Darian, but he buried it and stood up straight, making no move to hide the gleaming hilt of the longsword strapped to his hilt as he walked the few paces between them. Underneath the drab cloth he kept as a mask, he breathed out slowly and silently, his body tensing up for what might happen next. It was always iffy with the folks who came to see Callik, especially the new ones who tended not to respond well to having to disarm. It made them feel helpless, lose a measure of pride, or some other nonsense and that tended to make them act stupid as he had learned well the other day. If they simply did what was demanded of them everyone would be happy and much safer for it, and they would of course receive their weapons afterwards, free of charge if they purchased something.

"I'll have to ask you to give me your weapons, Callik doesn't like the customers armed, a manner to protect the wares of course you understand" Darian rumbled, taking another step forward while he reached out and open his hand. A mixture of confusion, and anger crossed the woman's face as his own grew tight, already too tired to deal with any impertinent comment the woman was getting ready to spit at him. She submitted though, and in Darian's hand was placed a pair of tamo daggers, sheathed together leaving just the silver club to be placed in his hand. Quietly he turned around, but did not leave his whole back to her as he opened up the chest, and placed to dagger set in there before he turned around and moved towards her. "See now that wasn't painless.. stand still while I check you for any other hidden blades.. slips of the mind happen and I wouldn't want you to accidentally walk in with a knife and prick yourself" He clucked in a sarcastic tone, and almost laughter at the expression on her face revealing no small amount of loathing for him no doubt.

His pat down was brisk, and he came away from it with a Kukri the woman had stashed on her ankle, and so to did that weapon get tossed in the chest after he waved her to go inside. With the lock securely in place, he took his place back in his seat, his eyes going back to stare blankly once more. There was hardly any amusement to be had in such work, but he needed the miza's and Crow had insisted. The bonds of his predicament had yet to fully come over him but they were settling for sure, and it was hard not to think that he wasn't trapped in this city, that he had not the free will to go as he pleased unnoticed. Much like it had been in his youth, and with that he sighed. Such was to be the way of things.

I have retired Darian, and I apologize for any inconveniences this has caused with anyone threading with this character. Feel free to NPC him in any threads that he is involved in if that is of course ok with the moderator. Again, I am sorry for any inconveniences.
Darian
Player

Words: 270515
Joined roleplay: April 25th, 2011, 2:12 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Darian on December 5th, 2011, 5:09 am

Proffering his dagger from its place at his thigh, it's hilt newly adorned with the shiny white bone of a large rat's skull it gleamed in the fresh daylight, and slowly almost mesmerizingly he twirled it in his hands, careful not to break through his leather glove to scrape at the fresh scab beneath. The metal was still yet weighty and awkward in his hand, so unlike the longsword he kept belted on his hip but yet it was a good deal more useful than that longer blade when it came to close quarters. To be better with the smaller blade would be far more useful to be certain, and bring him to feel far more protected when he was on the jobs he found himself involved in of late. Wrapping his thin fingers the blade's hilt, he turned it back and forth in his hand before jabbing it out, watching it reflect nicely in the dirty sunlight that streamed from above. His forearm flexed as his arm extended to his length, and twisting his wrist he brought it up to point horizontally the opposite direction before he pulled it back into his reach, and drew it close beside him. Again his arm jabbed out only to turn this way and that before being brought in, and again and again after that till he was confident his grip on the dagger was firm, and that it would hold.

It was more than a little difficult doing it seated he found out quickly as his elbow repeatedly slammed against the rough wood of the chair he sat in, but it would attract too much attention if he was standing up, and more importantly be far more dangerous if he lost his grip and accidentally slashed someone. He had no care for some street bum's life, but who they found themselves affiliated with could mean life or death for him to be certain.

Out of the corner of his eye he could see another approaching, and quickly he pulled his dagger arm close to his body, and stashed it just under the belt that wound it's way around his waist. A man about a head taller than he himself was strode confidently over, his hand resting obviously on the hilt strapped to his hip, the gleam of his teeth shining through the man's wide grin bubbling up irritation from within Darian. Slowly the would be blade master stood up, a slight hint of a smile teasing its way across his features hidden beneath the cloth over his lower face. Perhaps it was good this proud, patching son of whore couldn't see his flaking grin. Some considered it to be rather unnerving, and they were right to feel uncomfortable when confronted with it for when he smiled, it often didn't spell good for whomever he smiled at.

"Keep still and hand over your weapons" Darian growled as he walked over emphasizing the movement of his shoulders as he walked. He'd seen other guards do it before, big tall brutes that they were and tended to make very intimidating bullies, though nothing that couldn't be solved by a finely placed dagger during a scuffle. To the man's credit though he didn't flinch or even lose that smile that so mockingly stayed on the man's lips even after Darian's none to gentle order. "I'd sooner part with my own family jewels wretch, now step aside before I put you onto the ground with cold steel through your flesh!" The man's voice tended to say a different thing though as the sharp words spilled from his lips, spittle flying from his racing mouth. At that Darian couldn't help but laugh, and laugh he did loud in the mans' face all the while he took slow steps towards the man. Before the boasting fellow could even notice he was within the man's reach, too close for him to feasibly draw that longsword of his but close enough for Darian to sink a dagger into him if it came to it. "Threaten a man of Callik again, and you'll soon find yourself in a freshly turned grave, curtesy of me" Darian quickly spoke on the heels of his roaring laughter, his hazel eyes cutting sharply to stare coldly into the man's own to perhaps bring him to some sense.

His attempt at intimidation was not enough it seemed. Without another word, and only his reddening face to clue Darian in to what the man planned, the man took a heavy swing at him, and he only barely managed to doge under the swipe. Another fist came crashing across soon after though, and caught him solidly about the face sending him down to the cobblestones in a heap. His head swam with pain, and his vision blurred at odd times, but his hand somehow still found the hilt of his dagger, and as he pulled himself up and across to face the man he slashed the blade across with a underhanded grip on it's hilt. Relief flooded through him as the leading edge sliced into the man's kneecap, and sent him tumbling over Darian's back, the man's longsword toppling from his inexpert hands to clatter across the ground as the man himself sprawled across the stones. On instinct he threw himself backwards to land against the man's back solidly as he tried to push himself up to his feet, and around Darian twisted trying to bring the tip of his wicked dagger to bear on the man's tender flesh.

The man's hands saw the blade coming though and Darian found his wrists clenched in the slender hands of the man, held just a hair from piercing the man's soft belly. His teeth ground together as every muscle in his body strained to sheath the blade in the body of the infuriating man but his strength seemed to be even with the man's own for the moment. A voice halted all thoughts of the bloodshed quicker than the standstill ever would though as he heard the deep base tone call out from where he knew the tent's entrance to be.

"Stop your playing. Darian you leave the man be, he's not to be staying around here for much longer if he favors his life" The broad voice of one of Callik's new personal guards called out from the tent, and instantly brought a slackening to his fighting with the man and reluctantly he withdrew. "Get gone, and think of the longsword as a gift for sparing your hide" Darian growled as he stumbled up to his feet and dusted himself off quickly before stashing his dagger, and walking over to pick up the man's longsword and stash it away in Callik's personal chest he kept outside for holding such weapons to be kept. It go a little way for placating the man once he found out he'd gotten into a brawl with a potential buyer, but still he was bound to get his ear talked off and some sort of punishment for letting a blade have to be drawn in the first place. In the background he could hear the man cursing, and uttering death threats as he limped away. He shrugged it off all the same and took his place, spinning his dagger in his hands once more. Seemed like all the crazies climbed out of the woodwork after a good storm. The rest of the day went rather quietly, all learning their place as was their due, and he even managed to have the scuffle outside stay unheard by Callik. It was only for a moment though until the tight lipped guard at last broke forth those damming words at the moment it most suited him. Not much like it mattered anyway when his life was not his own. Perhaps the guard would stay quiet but Darian long had forsaken having faith in man, for he knew what he would do. Yes, the guard would speak one day, but their where ways of keeping such tongues stilled.

I have retired Darian, and I apologize for any inconveniences this has caused with anyone threading with this character. Feel free to NPC him in any threads that he is involved in if that is of course ok with the moderator. Again, I am sorry for any inconveniences.
Darian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Darian on December 5th, 2011, 5:31 am

Work had ended, and night found the city once more and in the shadows Darian lurked, waiting. Callik released his guard with the change at his residence and just below where he sat perched on a window sill he could see that very man pacing beneath. He was hardly at any difficult height to scale down even with his utter lack of skill as a ladder casually leaned against the side of the small two story structure made it quite easy, but so to was it quite simple to just drop to the ground and thats just what he did. Releasing his death grip on the sill, he let himself fall to the soft dirt and as his feet slammed into the soft turf he stumbled forward for a few paces, just enough for the man he intended to follow to hear him and promptly turn around with a blade bared. The shortsword found itself quickly lowered though as the man's eyes met Darian's own in recognition, and the portly guard expressed a gravely chuckle.

"Darian, what brings you to these streets? The ale or the whores or even both, eh?" The man called crudely, slapping his meaty thigh as he humored himself at his own joke. He'd no time for trivialities though, and not spare any more time bantering the man when their was a simple point to be made. "You'd not told Callik so I'd taken the that liberty for myself. You ever think to hold something over my head again, and you'd do well for your health to start watching your back better" Darian growled, but his scowl quickly turned into a expression of confusion as the man's mirth did not disappear in the slightest from his ruddy features. Instead he did quite the opposite and actuarially chuckled a little bit, as he patted his ample belly. "Always brooding you be to not see a simple gesture for what it was, maybe time will help you to be knowing what you not be knowing" the man said as he turned around chuckling and walking off to disappear into the night, leaving a very confused Darian to lose himself in his thoughts.

Darian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ink on December 5th, 2011, 10:26 pm

And in the Aftermath . . .

The Rewards are Revealed.

Darian :
Dagger 2
Evasion 1
Intimidation 1
Observation 2

Lore: Taking a punch (Poor)

Written in the ink :
If there are any concerns or problems with my grading please feel free to toss me a PM. I am more than happy to explain my reasons or reevaluate them if you feel I've been unfair.

Ink
DS in Sahova

Words: 259510
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 6:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)