The Arrival of the New Season[Hatot/Trista]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

The Arrival of the New Season[Hatot/Krista]

Postby Hatot on May 16th, 2010, 6:37 am

Hatot shook his head, indicating she didn’t need to apologize. “It’s not something that often happen, and when it does it’s normally because someone is drunk or has an intolerance of some sort. Mostly, citizens use the Arena for simple training.” Hatot explained further, looking back towards the first tier. “However, when words can’t rectify the situation, some will take their disagreements to the Arena, and settle it with a contest of combative skill. Such contests rarely end in death though.”

Hatot then looked back to Trista. “As far as disputes that need settling here, they’re generally the type of incident or possible situation that could affect the city on a whole, mainly dealing with issues involving Akalaks themselves, and those that are better kept private. They‘ll generally involve things that present a possible threat to the stability of Riverfall itself.”

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Words: 301214
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2010, 8:12 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on May 19th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Rarely ending in death was a lot different than, say, never ending in death. Silently, Trista reaffirmed her commitment to being the model-est of model citizens during her stay in Riverfall.

The Akvatari elected not to ask what kinds of things threatened Riverfall's very stability. After all, in these post-cataclysmic times, almost anything could cause serious problems, given how delicate the balance of life and death were. She was living in a Valterrian world, and she was a Valterrian girl.

Again, she noticed that managing conflict seemed to be particularly important to the Akalak. They suffered from some unusual amount of inner turmoil -- she knew this, even if she didn't understand it -- and it seemed to permeate all facets of their society. Interesting indeed.

She was aware that she ought to respond, and so she politely said, "I see, thank you." She wondered what else there was to see in this town, so spectacular from a distance, but so stiffly austere on the inside.
Trista
I can see for miles and miles and miles...

Words: 101570
Joined roleplay: August 17th, 2009, 1:08 am
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Hatot on May 23rd, 2010, 12:37 am

Hatot nodded before he made a short turn, heading towards the west until coming up to a small railing. Beyond this railing stood an area of foliage, most of it looking almost exotic in nature. A large building sat along the far side of the foliage, nestled next to a small, almost seemingly man-made, small waterfall. It’s waters fell along a series of small drop offs until coming to a small pond at the bottom, it’s waters steaming slightly. The building itself was smooth in design, as colors of blue and greens lined almost rounded edged walls and roofing. And opened area covered by fine mesh netting showed the silhouettes of an Akalak male slowly massaging the form of a female, his hands sliding slowly along her back.

Hatot slowly turned to Trista motioning towards the area. “This is the Karma Bliss Day Spa. The resort is exclusive to female cliental as a place for them to relax. Almost all of the staff that work there are Akalaks, with the exception of a few males from other races who seek employment more for the learning experience rather than wages.” Hatot explained as his hand once again fell to his side. “As to the exact services offered there, I am unable to fully explain, as I’ve never been in there as an employee myself, nor do I really know any who are employed there. However, it seems most women who leave there, do so with a smile on their face, and lighter step in their walk.”

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on May 27th, 2010, 1:58 am

Trista didn't make any comment, but the thought occurred to her that the Akalak were willing to try almost anything to get in bed with a woman who might get pregnant, even cater to their every pleasure at something billed as a "relaxing day spa." If it weren't for the deadly seriousness of the matter, Trista might have found their dogged persistence oddly charming.

"I imagine that the service must be truly exceptional." Her tone was dryly humorous, but not sarcastic. "And, should I feel the need to be relaxed, I'll have to keep this place in mind." Generally, Trista's art and music were enough to relax her -- at least as much as the Akvatari was capable of relaxing -- but one never knew. So long as all the massages didn't have happy endings...

"It seems like there are many establishments that cater to the needs of the visiting women. Are there any places of relaxation or recreation for the Akalak themselves?" She didn't seem to have seen any, not unless the arena counted as recreation...
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hatot on May 27th, 2010, 2:39 am

Hatot gave a slow nod in reference to Trista’s comment about many of the leisurely things in Riverfall being there to cater to women. “It’s true to a certain extent, for the reasons underlined in earlier discussions.” Hatot replied, taking a slight lean along the railing next to them as his hands rested along the metal surface.

He then slowly turned his head, as an almost confused look appeared on his face in reference to her question. A long moment of silence passed as he contemplated an answer, thinking over the areas that Riverfall had to offer. “I would suppose that would depend on the Akalak.” Hatot replied, pushing himself from his lean. “We all, as a race, share a similar goal I suppose, but at the same time each of us are our own selves. We have taverns, a resort, a garden even. It all depends on what one Akalak would find relaxing, or an enjoyable form of recreation.”

Hatot then peered down to Trista. “The same could be held true for anyone, however.” Hatot continued as he reached up, pulling his hood down for the first time since they entered the city. “While one may find it peaceful and serene standing at the base of the waterfall, another may find their center while dueling with another, or hammering a piece of heated metal to shape one of many things. In the end, I suppose, to each their own.”

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on June 2nd, 2010, 1:00 am

She nodded in agreement. It was a true enough observation, Trista thought. People were different, and even in the most homogeneous societies, variety in recreational opportunities was important.

"And you?" During the tour, Trista had asked few personal questions, but this one leaped to her lips unbidden. "What do you enjoy?" The man seemed conflicted and sad, but perhaps no more so than any other Akalak. She wondered what, if anything, brought him a modicum of peace. He was being very generous with his time to her, a complete stranger, but if asked, she would confess that she scarcely understood him personally at this point.

She too took hold of the railing, though given that she was hovering, she put no weight on her arms. Her gaze moved to take in the visible portions of the city that they had just left.
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hatot on June 2nd, 2010, 4:41 am

Hatot fell silent for a moment, as if pondering the question. A slow shake of his head was then given. “I can’t rightly say with any certainty.” Hatot then confessed as he continued to lead them to their next destination. “While I enjoy teaching the younger Akalaks, part of it is to make sure they are as ready for their upcoming Rite more than anything. I train myself to find my own center and try to become more than I am, but that is more than habit than simply because I enjoy it.”

Hatot then paused, looking out towards the subtle view of the ocean their current spot gave them before his golden gaze fell to Trista once more. “As far as recreational enjoyments. I can’t say I’ve explored many of them to find out though.”

Hatot then motioned out to a small store, the first of many mouthing an opening to something more. The first few shops had similar design in architecture, if not in signs. A simple, wide one story building with glass windows displaying their wares. The first held he sign that read. “The Arma’Drex Smithy” as various weapons and armors were displayed in the front window. “This is the weapons and armor shop of Riverfall. It also doubles over as a Blacksmith for other needs a smithy would provide. However, I get the sense that weapons and armor, or shoes for horses is something you hold high interest in.” Hatot explained, tilting his head slightly and remaining silent to give her opportunity to correct him if he was wrong.

He then motioned to the next shop, which held a rotating sign that read, “Cavern Creations” on both sides. “A workshop of sorts. The tinker in a great many of unusual devices.” Hatot explained as he looked towards the shop himself. “I couldn’t say what any of them do. Such things normally fall beyond my understanding without having to sit and listen to a long explanation first, and I’ve not yet felt inclined to do so.”

Jaeden then motioned to a store that held a sign shaped like a gem, and painted just as elegantly. The sign, which seemed to glitter like a finely cut gem reflecting the suns light, read “Valereig’s Gem Shop,” and unlike the other shops, the windows of this one had small iron bars running in front of the windows to deter theft. Though such seemed hardly necessary with the patrolling Akalak guards in this section of the tier. “I believe the sign is self explanatory for this shop.” Hatot mentioned, averting his gaze slightly when the reflection of light from the store’s sign caught his eyes just right. “All the gems mined from the grounds near the city as well as those imported through traders are generally sold here. I‘ve not witnessed such, but I suspect gifts are bought here often to win the approval of a female whom an Akalak wishes to bear their child.”

Hatot then looked to Trista, his hands, as they often did during their tour, coming to a cupped grasp behind his back as he faced her. “This road of the tier leads to a large open area called the Zhongjie Warren. It is a Bazaar or General market, if you will. A place for those without buildings to sell their wares go in order to make a living.” Hatot explained as he fell silent for a moment, the slight echoes of people haggling in the distance carrying to their ears. “If you’ve a sharp eye and good skill of appraisal, you can sometimes find something there cheaper than you would an item in the regular shops. For the most part, fresh vegetables and fruits are found there more than anything.”

Hatot then, as he usually did, waited for Trista to voice any questions she might have had or give her opportunity to explore one of the shops if she wished.

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on June 3rd, 2010, 3:06 pm

The man was clearly confused and not at peace with himself -- but he was honest about it, and Trista liked that. After all, she herself was no expert in knowing what she wanted, or even who she was. Not knowing was no crime, but being deceptive about it might be, and she found the absence of such deception refreshing.

She gave a shy smile. "No...weapons and armor aren't my strong point. I'm lucky if I don't cut myself trying to open a letter." The smile widened ever so slightly. "And I find the concept of horses interesting -- we don't have them at all in Akvatar -- but given that riding isn't something my people have a need for, it's more an academic interest."

The workshop had some interest to Trista, but it didn't seem that Hatot could answer any further questions about it, and so she did not ask. The gem shop was perhaps even more fascinating, especially given that it seemed to play an important part in the Akalak's awkward courtship attempts. "What sort of stones are mined here?" she asked. She knew little of mining, but she was curious to know how it was done.

Then she could not stifle a soft, self-deprecating chuckle. "I've the eye of an artist, perhaps, but no skill in appraisal at all. I'm terrible with money, actually -- unless I'm in the middle of a paying project, I usually don't have any at all. If I ever go there, I'll have to borrow someone with better skills than me to do my negotiating for me."
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hatot on June 5th, 2010, 4:58 am

Hatot gave a slow shrug as he began leading Trista through the Bazaar. “If I hazarded a guess, I would likely be wrong. I’m not familiar with the stones themselves. Frankly, if you laid some down before me, I wouldn’t be able to tell you which was a diamond or which was a ruby.” Hatot answered as he paused, looking over to one of the corner shops, it’s familiar scents of honeys, sugars and freshly baked breads catching their nose. “Oh, I almost forgot. This is Bastani Bakery. They make the best sweet rolls in the lands. Of course, I’m likely biased in that claim.”

Hatot then further navigated them through the bazaar as he slipped past people as they went about their way with their daily haggling. “I fear I’m not too good with appraising the proper price for objects either, but you can normally find what you need in the bazaar if not in the shops themselves.” Hatot said as they finally came out the other end of the bazaar, still making their way through the tier. Hatot finally stopped in front of a single building that remained somewhat solitary from the others, as people came to and from it’s entrance. “The Gilia Medical Center. Of course, this is where those with ailments in the city go for treatment. Some of the more skilled healing hands among Akalaks can be found there. I do believe there may be some Konti healers there as well, as I’ve noticed some enter once when I was passing by, but I can’t be certain on that.”

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on June 24th, 2010, 3:49 pm

The bazaar was a barrage of sights and sounds, enough for Trista to feel slightly overwhelmed. Neither Abura nor Mura had been anything like this huge tangle of people and noise. Being down in it, rather than flying above it, gave her a sense akin to claustrophobia.

She stopped to give a good look at the Medical Center. As a follower of Avalis, those who followed her sister, Rak'keli, were also due Trista's respect. It was interesting to her that there was a center for such things, rather than simply individual healers who worked from their homes.

Also interesting was the fact that Hatot's ignorance of what precisely was inside betrayed the fact that he likely had never been there. A remarkably healthy people, the Akalak. Well, physically healthy -- she was unconvinced about the emotional part.

"I take it you spend little time in this part of the city?" It was a simple question, asked without any intimation of accusation. Her blue wings beat quickly as she hovered a foot or so above the ground.
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext