The Arrival of the New Season[Hatot/Trista]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

The Arrival of the New Season[Hatot/Trista]

Postby Hatot on March 7th, 2010, 9:12 pm

Day 1 of Spring, 510 AV

Hatot stood at the Riverfall City Gates. Spring had just begun, and while there were still patches of snow along the ground, the chill in the air wasn't so harsh as it would be in winter. It wouldn't be long before the grass would be full, the leaves would grow out, and warmth returned to the city. His head was leaned back slightly, and his eyes closed as Hatot took slow breaths, admiring the change, though such wasn't evidently shown through facial expression. A slow breeze slipped it's way past Hatot, pulling the hood of his white cloak down from his head as, reveling a calm expression on his face before he looked down to see three Akalak children standing there in silence before him. They were in the middle of meditation as their bodies remained motionless, their hands cupped behind their backs. Hatot observed how well they took to meditation, and envied the benefits they would have from starting so early. Had he started at their age, his own inner struggle would night likely be as great. Especially with his own Rite of Manhood coming soon.

Finally, all three children opened their eyes, looking up to Hatot. The Akalak gave a small nod to them before looking towards the open road in front. "Train your physical self now," Hatot simply said. "Run as fast and hard as you can for as long as you can around the city's exterior. Push your body's stamina to it's limit, and then see if you can go past that limit. Consider your training for the day finished after that. I will not observe you this time, hoping that the three of you have the desire to go beyond your limits without me there to encourage you. Remember though, do not stray off beyond the city's immediate vicinity, and always stay together. By themselve, an Akalak is strong, but when standing among our brothers, we are so much stronger."

The three Akalak children gave a simple nod to Hatot before turning to their right as they pushed off with their feet, beginning a full on sprint around the city. Hatot glanced over towards the river that led to the waterfall the city was named for. The waters levels had risen considerably over the past couple of weeks as the snow melted away. It would rise even further when the rains began. Hotot wondered if the river would bring anything of interest this season.
Last edited by Hatot on May 16th, 2010, 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Words: 301214
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2010, 8:12 am
Race: Akalak
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Re: The Arrival of the New Season[Hatot/Krista]

Postby Trista on March 8th, 2010, 1:59 am

Trista still hadn't decided exactly what she thought of Riverfall. It was impressive, that was for sure, and its skyline would look nice etched on a mug or a decorative plate, but it rained too much, and she didn't know what to make of the Akalak. Not that she'd had much interaction with them -- really, she hadn't talked at length to anyone except Amaya.

It was the beginning of spring, and though the cold or lack thereof was of no consequence to the Akvatari, she was glad to see the plants coming awake again. Plants fascinated her, largely because with the exception of a few very sad-looking tufts of grass, there weren't any plants on Akvatar.

She had decided to go out for a while this morning, and had elected to go back in the direction of the gates. Not for any particular reason, really, just because she wouldn't get lost that way -- and, if she felt like sketching, the gates were the best place to find interesting people.

It seemed as though they were relatively quiet for now, however. There were some Akalak boys -- though of course, it wasn't as if there were any Akalak girls -- who looked to be doing some kind of exercise program, under the guidance of an instructor who didn't look particularly interested in following them on their run.

She did not wish to interrupt, but her curiosity was up. Was this what children in Riverfall did for schooling? She hovered several yards away, not being intrusive, but watching the scene with the interested eye of an observant traveler.
Trista
I can see for miles and miles and miles...

Words: 101570
Joined roleplay: August 17th, 2009, 1:08 am
Race: Akvatari
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Trailblazer (1)

Postby Hatot on March 8th, 2010, 3:05 am

Hatot's gaze remained on the children until they soon came out of view. It then soon shifted to see the Akvatari standing there in the distance. With slow casual strides, he began walking towards her, the slow breeze catching the underside of his cloak as it blew it upward, revealing the lean build underneath covered by leather armor. His face had a calm expression on, but revealed a hint of curiosity as well as his gaze studied he Akvatari's body as though it was the first time he had ever seen one of her race.

He stopped about teen feet from her, gazing to her eyes now as he remained silent for another moment. Hands covered with teethed gauntlets grasped the sides of his cloak lightly as he pushed the tail backwards so the cloak would lay more along his back to reveal that he had no hidden weapons to pull free from under the cloak. Hatot then simply lowered his head in a small bow before looking up to the Akvatari female. "Good morning," he said in a deep, but soft voice. "Welcome to Riverfall."

Please, do not upset me. I would hate to unintentionally rip your throat out in a fit of rage.
Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on March 12th, 2010, 2:18 pm

It wasn't long before Trista realized that she had been seen. She started to prepare an apology, but the Akalak who was approaching her didn't seem to be upset. Indeed, he was extremely polite as he gave his greeting.

"Good morning, and thank you." Trista returned the head bow. "I am sorry if I am intruding. I was watching the exercises that the children were going through -- is this part of the schooling that takes place in Riverfall?"

She had to admit that the man had an undefinable but noticeable "presence" about him. It was easier to understand why all the Konti seemed to swoon when talking about the Akalak. Of course, from what she had read, the swooning was mutual; indeed, women of almost any race reported a lot of...positive attention when visiting Riverfall.

Trista adjusted her satchel strap and lowered herself a bit closer to the ground, to make it easier to have a conversation. She pushed a stray hair away from her forehead.
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hatot on March 12th, 2010, 7:38 pm

Hatot slowly shook his head. "No need to apologize, you weren't intruding," Hatot replied as he looked back to the children who were now nearly out of sight. "Training actually. They prepare themselves for their Rite of Trial, an important time in a young Akalak's life. The trial is a turning point in which an Akalak decides what they wish to do with their life."

Hatot observed Trista's wings for another moment with a curiosity a child would look upon a new color for the first time. He had heard of her race visiting before, but this had been the first time he had actually seen an Akvatari. His gaze traveled to the lower half of her body, observing the tail and thin coat of fur which shined in the rising sun. Eventually though, Hatot realized that he was staring, and simply stepped sideways, motioning towards the city gates of Riverfall itself. "My name is Hatot. I gather you wish to see the city?" Hatot then said revealing the city gates open and, despite the time of morning, many people moving around within just the first tier. "I can show you around if you wish, or show you to a particular building if you had one in mind?"

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on March 15th, 2010, 2:46 pm

A part of Trista was more than a little curious about what a Rite of Trial might look like, but given that it seemed to be an Akalakan cultural touchstone, she didn't know about the appropriateness of doing so.

The man seemed to be equally curious about Trista, however, given the way he was staring at her. It wasn't the kind of gaze characteristic of someone with romantic interest -- it was more as if he had never seen an Akvatari before. Of course, he probably hadn't, and so Trista didn't feel particularly uncomfortable.

Hatot, as he had introduced himself, then offered to take her on a tour of Riverfall. She had very much wanted to see the city, and Amaya hadn't seemed to know much about where things were; this seemed to be the perfect opportunity. Plus, while it was always important to be careful, the Akvatari didn't feel the need to be as paranoid as someone else might -- after all, if anything untoward happened, she could always just fly away.

"I'm Trista," she said, inclining her head respectfully, a habit she had picked up from the Zeltivans. "I haven't been here long, nor have I seen much of the city. If you are able to show me around, I thank you for your generosity, and would be honored if you would do so."
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hatot on March 17th, 2010, 3:58 am

"A pleasure to meet you Trista. Please do follow me then," Hatot said giving a slow nod as he waited for her to start her flight towards the city, following in pace beside her as his hands came up, pulling his hood over his head as they approached the city gates. "Well, first off I suppose I should point out the grand entrance to our fair city. The Riverfall city gates. High and strong, they have repelled any and all hostiles to date. Their, along with the rest of or city walls hosts the strongest defense a city can have. Couple these walls with the skills of my people, and one could consider Riverfall to be one of the safest places to be," Hatot explained as he motioned towards the large forty foot walls of stone. Strong and solid, most of the wall hosted no more than a scratch here and there as far as damage went. Guard towers, posted by Akalak men with spyglass' were never far from sight, revealing that those who approached with hostile intent would not go unnoticed.

Hatot waited for a moment for her to take in her fill of observation and to ask any question she may have had. He then began leading her inside to the first tier of the city as, despite the early hours of the morning, the city was busy with the traffic of it's citizens as Akalaks and other races alike performed their morning repetitions needed, whether it be opening shops or stands they owned, or buying supplies and food in preparation for later in the day. Hatot let Trista take note of where the shops were in accordance with her own interests. Truth be told, Hatot didn't spend a lot of time himself shopping, so he was never certain of every stand or stall and what they sold. In the end, he paused as a small amount of noise could be heard as he slowly looked to the tall walls that wrapped around in a circular shape towards the eastern corner of the eastern walls just within the city gates. "I see it starts early today," Hatot commented before nodding to the giant structure, it's stone walls tan in color, reaching a height almost two thirds the height of the city walls themselves, and extending out from the corner by nearly one hundred yards. The structure itself sported no roof, and the very top of it's walls were opened by a row of small columns supporting the last ten feet of stone to the top of the walls. In these opened spaces, spectators could be seen as they cheered loudly. "The Gideon Combat Arena," Hatot then said before the question could be said. "It is there were combat for sport and grievances between two individuals are decided. If ever you have felt that someone has wronged you in this city, it is there where it will normally be settled."

Hatot then continued on after waiting to see if she had any questions regarding the Arena. Eventually they came upon a large wooden building, it's windows were formed of an almost mesh paper material rather than glass as a round abstract symbol lined the front of the door, it's border black and inside full of reds and blues. It's base was made of a smooth white marble, which had a glossy shine to it, even at the steps where everyone entered. Within, shouts of practice could be heard and the stern comments of instructors passing their knowledge. "The Tuvya Sasaran," Hatot said. "Here is where you will actually find me most days. This is where the study of hand to hand combat and defense for Akalak's and other races who wish to learn it take place. Every Akalak child who wishes to one day become a great warrior for his people must start. For one must have some semblance of mastery over their physical selves, before they can master a weapon." Hatot then gave a slow bow as one of the Assistant instructors slid the front door open, stepping out. The bow was returned as the Akalak then simply walked by, moving on to other things that would occupy his day.

Hotat then eventually lead Trista to the other side of the city as another building of similar design stood. This building, however, housed stained glass windows as opposed to the mesh paper coverings that the previous building, and instead of white marble, it's base was carved from a black obsidian stone, it's surface less smooth, but maintained a similar glossy shine as it's predecessor. A different abstract symbol headed the doors of this building, it's shape more jagged as several points in a dark red formed it's outside border, the inside colors of once again blue, but also shades of green and brown. Similar shouts of practice and instruction echoed from this building, only the sound of wood crashing against wood could also be heard. "This is the Kendoka Sasaran. Here lies the next stage to an Akalak's training in becoming a warrior for his people. Here they teach the use of various weapons with specialization in the use a Lakan," Hatot explained as he looked at the building with a curious glance of his own, betraying the impression that he had rarely, if ever, stepped foot inside the building himself.

Hatot, when Trista was ready to continue, then made his way further into the first tier of Riverfall city as they soon came to a rich looking and luxurious three story building, it's access fenced off and it's gates guarded by two Akalak warriors dressed in chain armor and armed with spears and swords. It was white, extravagant in design as a white cobblestone walkway lead to the front entrance, bordered on both sides by fertile green lawns and elaborate gardens filled with exotic flowers of various types. The front of the building hosted large columns in front of a large walking porch that ran the length of the house itself. "This is the estate of our Sovereign," Hatot then said, motioning to the elaborate home. "I'm afraid I can't give you much information regarding it as I've never stepped foot beyond the gates myself. It is, however, the most beautiful home in Riverfall to my knowledge."

Hatot then came to a pause near the end of he first tier of Riverfall city, motioning to both sides of the city walls as large, elevated temples rested along stone cliffs within the city as hills and elevation gradually began leading to the second tier of the city. Numerous steps zig zagged up the cliff face, leading to the buildings themselves. On the left, a white structure with tall walls and slender windows lined near the top surrounded a single red building at it's center. To the right, while not as wide, the building was more elegant as several red columns supported small roofed buildings along the stairs leading up. A single set of stairs then ran along a large stone wall which eventually lead to a single building with steep roofs that held cosmetic red columns for decoration. Each of the corners of this building hosted an elegant looking tower which held torches that lit the area for those traveling up the stairway. "To the left, we have Zebulon Sanctuary, the home for the God Wysar, he is a powerful force behind much of my people's way, and is very often in his home should we seek his guidance," Hatot said motioning to the left. "To the right, the Raziah Abbey. Home of the Goddess Akajia, also a powerfule and great force and influence upon the culture you will see within Riverfall."

With that, the tour of the first tier of the city of Riverfall had ended. Hatot then turned to Tristan, awaiting any further questions she might have had before he moved on to the second tier of the city.

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Trista on March 28th, 2010, 12:19 am

Interesting, Trista thought, as she fluttered along behind Hatot. It hadn't occurred to her before, but it seemed that Riverfall was indeed one of the safest places she had seen; only Syliras, with its contingent of knights, and Zeltiva, with its legendary prisons and the towering Zatoskas, could compare in her experience.

She was glad, however, that she didn't have any "grievances." Trista wasn't much for combat -- though she had a sneaking suspicion that, as a female in an all-male city, she might not have a difficult time finding someone willing to defend her honor and fight her battles for her.

Indeed, it seemed that battles and combat were a recurring theme here, given the nature of the next few buildings that Trista encountered. At the Kendoka Sasaran, she did look curiously at her guide and ask, "What's a lakan?"

The dwellings of the deities, however, made her stop and pause. Wysar and Akajia. Discipline and darkness. What would it be like, she wondered, to have those as one's patrons? It spoke of a culture both strong and sad, which meshed well with what she had heard of the Akalak.

Hatot mentioned that Wysar in particular was "often home," and before the tour continued, she nodded quietly and asked, "Have...have you ever met him? Or her?"
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Hatot on March 29th, 2010, 2:42 am

Hatot slowly slid his hand behind his back before producing a wooden practice lakan, spinning it around in the palm of his hand before the curved wooden blade rested in his hand as he presented the hilt to Trista to examine for moment. “This, of course, isn’t a true Lakan, but a practice one. Each of our race is to craft one of their own before their Rite of Manhood,” Jaeden explained.

He waited there silently for a moment, allowing Trista the time she needed to study the practice blade until her curiosity was satisfied. He then slowly gave a shake of his head to the second question directed to him. “I’ve seen them many times in their temples, but never spoke with either face to face.” Hatot said looking over the temples. “My needs right now are not truly worth their undivided attention.”

“I’ll now begin showing you down to the second tier of the city, unless you had another question before we continue?”

Hatot
The Edge Walker

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

The Arrival of the New Season[Hatot/Krista]

Postby Trista on April 7th, 2010, 10:05 pm

The Akvatari took the wooden weapon and turned it over in her hands. Even this practice blade seemed to her to have been made and treated with care. She could only imagine the amount of work that went into crafting a real one. The Akalak certainly took pride in their work.

She handed the weapon back to Hatot, and listened curiously to his second reply. It wasn't the one she had expected; she had rather thought that the deities would be only too happy to speak to any of their people who sought them. Perhaps that was indeed the case -- it didn't seem that Hatot had ever made an attempt to ask. But she kept her thoughts on the matter to herself.

"No, I don't believe I have any more questions, thank you," she murmured politely. "What's in the second tier?"
Trista

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next