NPC Use and equipment.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

NPC Use and equipment.

Postby Kvar Driftweaver on December 4th, 2011, 1:59 pm

Hello all can I have some clarification on what are inappropriate NPC's to use in a thread?

I did a search and found that unremarkable NPC's are fine to use in individual threads as background writing. What skill levels should they be limited to, if any? What equipment should they be limited to if any? I understand the obvious rare metals are probably out, but are there any other limits I need to be aware of? Can I have a merchant NPC wearing fine robes for instance, working out of a luxury caravan?

Thanks for any and all help for a new player.
Kvar's OOC Plotnotes, arcs and goals.

Mood Music: Wanderlust Curse | Battle Metal | Celebration

My Merry Band of Miscreants
Kvar - Kharadish - J’karn
Kvar Driftweaver
Rook takes bishop

Words: 59882
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 3:35 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

NPC Use and equipment.

Postby Lievdarg Prustian on December 5th, 2011, 6:37 pm

I have exactly the same question. It's quite hard to thread without NPCs, so I am a tad bit stuck on my progress. It would be nice to get some clarification. Do I have to use the help desk for every non-generic NPC my character encounters? Even if it's one that shows up solely in a single or two threads? What is the definition of an "unremarkable NPC"? What of NPCs relevant to the character's history?
Until the next saturday (12/16) I won't have much time to post, too much reading to do. Hence I will not be much active until then.
Lievdarg Prustian
Player

Words: 15675
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2011, 10:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

NPC Use and equipment.

Postby Verilian on December 7th, 2011, 2:54 pm

An "unremarkable" NPC would not have any rare metals and stuff like that, and really their skills aren't that important. Sure, a merchant could be wearing fine robes, but that doesn't make him remarkable. Also, there are lots of merchants in each city, and other NPCs, already made that you are generally allowed to use. As far as skills go, if it's a merchant you can probably assume he's got some skill in haggling, persuasion, ect, but the numbers aren't important because they are just background npcs. If you are needing all that info, then they are no longer background. Just walking up to a merchant, saying hi, and buying some cookies doesn't require a skillset. If you try to haggle those cookies down to a lower price, then you would need to shoot a PM to your local storyteller and ask for permission. 9 times out of 10 you will be allowed, as long as you aren't trying for something ridiculous.
Forecast for tonight... Dark
-----
Wind Reach---Wind Reach Lore---WR Request Thread
Verilian
Retired Staff

Words: 1113582
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2010, 9:53 pm
Race: Staff account
Storyteller secrets
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

NPC Use and equipment.

Postby Kvar Driftweaver on December 8th, 2011, 11:15 am

Cheers for this mate, I wanted to say that since I started you have been invaluable in your advice.

All the best,
Var
Kvar's OOC Plotnotes, arcs and goals.

Mood Music: Wanderlust Curse | Battle Metal | Celebration

My Merry Band of Miscreants
Kvar - Kharadish - J’karn
Kvar Driftweaver
Rook takes bishop

Words: 59882
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 3:35 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human, Svefra