The Edge of the World [Flashback/Open]

So it Begins

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The massive stretch of desert that overwhelms Eyktol. Here, a man's water is worth more than his life, and the burying sands are the unfortunate's mute undertaker.

Postby Kharadish re Lsar on December 9th, 2011, 2:10 pm

In Dira's Name: A first Step.

Season of Autumn, Day 50, 511 AV

Morning, The Deepest South
Facing the Rockward Isle

There they had stood at the edge of the world, the sandy beaches falling into the ocean blue. Surveying the furthest reaches of what man could see. His teacher had gone for a swim, leaving Kharadish alone, and who could blame him, the pair had a long journey ahead of them. This pilgrimage in Dira's name, although a gesture that he hoped would prove his faith beyond all question, was also incredibly risky. Having spent virtually all his youth in training for the vague prospect of joining the nobility, he had a lot of theory but little practical experience.

A gilded first born to hopeful parents, would be the first man in many years to travel as far as he was going to, his name would carry by deed, and in that his future would be assured. Word had reached Kharadish about knightly orders, groups of fighters or men vying for power or prestige, these things had potential reward if a man could bring news of them, and if there was any truth to them he would find note of it to bring back home.

Anything to benefit the wise and noble Ahnatep, advancing its power, contacts and status rightly across all Ekytol and beyond. Today he faced the rockward island and knelt. Bowing his head to the sand, Kharadish said his daily prayer, for the first time as far south as he ever had, it would carry his voice beyond where he might step.

“Dira, goddess of all who pass. I ask only for balance in my life, and my action, so that your word might spread through my deeds. The trip may see me by your side before its end, if so I will serve you loyally in the afterlife just as I have this.”

Holding some sand in a palm, and allowing the grains to filter through his fingers, all were dust, all returned to the same. "Sand we were and sand we will always be, I honor you forever and always my goddess."

Rising to his feet, he straightened his armor, and felt ready for what lay ahead. They planned to stay close to the coast, avoiding the dangers of the deeper desert, using the ocean to wash and bathe, while trading with any nomads for food and water. The coast had less harsh climates as a whole, and more rocky shelters in its cliffs. If they were to survive at all, it would take every bit of courage and cunning.

Joining Notes :
Open as long as the character makes it northward gradually or eventually
Character Sheet

My Merry Band of Miscreants
Kvar - Kharadish - J’karn
Kharadish re Lsar
Dira's Acolyte

Words: 11350
Joined roleplay: December 4th, 2011, 3:56 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kharadish re Lsar on December 14th, 2011, 5:13 pm

Assembling any strong pebbles or small eye catching shells he could find, the acolyte built a small shrine to his mistress of forever. It was more practical than it was artistic, for he was a man who thought in terms of practical use, but then he believed that is why he connected with her ideals so well, the lack of waste. Kharadish put effort into it making the symbol of Dira at least presentable, something that would draw the eye, finding one or two simple but interesting looking items to decorate it with. Etching his goddess's name into a rock, not in one language but three, the final one being in common, the base of shrine was finished. Comprising of a small structure of stones, it was further fixed in place with any loose clay he could dig up, from where the beach had once met the sea. They had stopped here as the Eypharian had found some clay under the top soil sand, not much but marine clay was durable, even when left simply to dry. The ending result of his labor did not look perfect for he did not have the aptitude for artistry or construction, but it did have every intent of lasting for as long as it could, and he hoped it would, for Dira did not like waste.

Building the shrine facing the ocean, so that any across the sea would know where his goddess’s domain was surely to be found. Her domain didn’t begin here of course, it stretched across all mortal's last thought, born in their first heartbeat, but it was here in ernest just the same. The shrine was here, the first of its kind, because he wanted to tell people that death was not to be feared. If they saw, heard and understood his goddess every day, they would surely know peace as he did, and their lives would be better for it.

When a much younger Kharadish had watched his eldest sister succumb to a fever, he had never wept. Instead he was beside her bed, holding her hand, telling her he would see her again, and to go safely and calmly to where they may reunite. There had been a great sense of peace, that of the greater plan filling his mind and body. Every day thereafter he had known the vigilant one in prayer, and done all he could to let those about to pass find peace. Death was simply another part of the journey. Though he was mortal, and still had yet to calm all his fears when he faced them, he was trying, giving all he could to find that balance. Kharadish knew he would see his sister again, in time.

Always planning for the long game, the strategist, what was longer than eternal service, seeking those that were most lost or out of balance, and helping them reaching home, nothing was longer term than that. Standing up, once again he brushed the sand off his knees and armor. Kharadish assembled the final touches, a skull of a jackal in the center of the shrine, to silently remain watching the days pass. Many feared the very mention of seeing the famed omen’s of Dira, yet he would embrace that day with all his heart.

“The first of many, the world’s knowledge, understanding and acceptance of your blessing from today will only grow. This much I swear till my death and beyond.” Proclaiming the reason for his pilgrimage now, spoken to a shrine of his goddess, it was affirmed and fixed. She was a blessing, for those who could open their hearts and embrace life, knowing every single day was worth something, every soul having a place in the scheme of things.

Kharadish smiled, always the chess player, it was time to plot out the next move. He had his opponents, they were apathy, waste, scaremongering and scepticism, worthy adversaries to remove from his path!
Character Sheet

My Merry Band of Miscreants
Kvar - Kharadish - J’karn
Kharadish re Lsar
Dira's Acolyte

Words: 11350
Joined roleplay: December 4th, 2011, 3:56 pm
Race: Eypharian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets