[The Labyrinth] A Spider's Web (Veldrys)

Nashira gets lost in a Labyrinth, as well as an intricate web cast by a Symenestra.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Postby Nashira on February 9th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Nashira smiled weakly, knowing well enough that her magic was doing what it was supposed to. Bringing her will to another's ears, so that it may be carried out. As she listened to the Symenestra speak, she was almost certain that he still had no idea she had infiltrated his mind. It served in her favor then, that she had been subtle. Very subtle. Hadn't spoken the words, only sent them forth upon the air, towards him. Like prayers sent to her golden-colored sun.

As her own brow furrowed in thought, considering the Symenestra's question for a time, Nashira studied his features. Wondering if there was something there, which may denote that she had given herself away. That there was a glimmer of recognition within him, that something was not quite right, although he had yet to be able to put words to it. But as she searched, the rise of his brow, the shape of his lips, the depth of his eyes, filled with thought and memory, the Ethaefal could find nothing. As far as she could tell, she was entirely safe. He was shrouded in her magic. Slightly lost, but still there.

Her smile widening, Nashira chose now to answer. Her voice as soft as her nearly inaudible steps across the ground. The dying grass that lined the gentle rolling of the barred hills. "Many, many times Veldrys," there was a slight pause as the Ethaefal tucked a few loose strands of hair behind her ears, "in my travels. Lhavit, the city of Zintila, and her sparkling silver stars is a rather breathtaking sight. Many would argue that the Misty Peaks are quite beautiful in and of themselves. The shape of them, shrouded in mystery. The area itself filled with creatures you would find no where else in this world... but, the sky has always taken me. Always claimed my heart... and those stars, that display of infinite light... it seems all the more beautiful there in the darkness. In the city of the goddess who watches over them."

Nashira fell silent for a moment, as though racking off every other memory that lingered in the confines of her mind. The outer reaches. "Zeltiva was nice too. Not particularly as a whole city, as much as, simply, where it lay. Between the earth and the water. The mountains and the sea. Although, the mountains weren't particularly special, the water, at night, as it churned while the sun and moon shone over its expanse, was simply breathtaking. The color of the sky, turning from its typical light blue, to an array of colors so vibrant, it is nearly indescribable. Pink and orange, yellow and purple, sometimes, even red, it seemed, if you really looked. No sky ever seemed like that sky, but perhaps, it had more to do with whom you enjoyed the sunset with, and the sight of the sparkling water, more than it being a particularly special place. Or a truly breathtaking night."

Again, the Ethaefal's face fell a little, as she was lost in thought. "Do you know what I mean Veldrys?" Nashira asked, "that a person can make a place or even a single moment seem all the more magical simply because they are in it? Even though what is going on around you, or even, what lies around you, is not all that magical in and of itself?"

For the last time, Nashira fell silent as she turned left around another bend, and found herself in a small clearing. It was littered with grass, which swayed lightly in the breeze, the tanning fronds rippling as though sharing their own silent song. A few trees had been scattered about the expanse, here and there. Darkened, twisted trunks, which led into spindly branches, long devoid of life, this time of year. In the center, lay a single bench, crafted of dark wood. Or perhaps it was simply the recent rain staining the color for a time. "This is it?" Nashira whispered, her voice scarcely audible against the wind's sigh, a question, although not a disrespectful one. She simply could not have known what to expect, and now that she was here, she thought she could feel a glimmer of happiness in her heart, despite the cobwebs Caleb had cast across it. The memories she now had flashing across her eyes of the two of them together. Their short time spent sharing each other's lives.
Nashira
Until the Sun Sets...

Words: 145229
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2011, 12:07 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Veldrys on February 11th, 2012, 6:29 pm

„I remember Lhavit“, he said. A part deep inside of him found it unusual that he talked about such things to a stranger, but he didn’t know why. He was unable to put what he was feeling into words. In a way he also found it liberating. It had been a long time since he had talked to somebody about the things that moved him.

„I went there when I was a teenager. Up until then I was convinced that nothing in the world would ever compare to the hanging city of Kalinor, but Lhavit came close. It might even have been more amazing. I can’t decide. The sky was never so clear as it was above Lhavit, filled with a million stars. It was in Lhavit, on Lhavit’s highest peak, that I had the first, brief romance of my life …“

There was a dreamy look in his eyes as he said that. They had only exchanged a few kisses, only spent a single night together and never seen each other again, but he still thought of the half blood every once in a while. He would always have a special place in his heart because he had been the first one he had ever kissed.

„But I’ve never seen Zeltiva. I‘ve never even left Kalea. I’ve always had too many obligations to simply go and explore the world, besides I found it too dangerous. It sounds beautiful though. Maybe I will visit it one day.“

„I know exactly what you mean“, he replied. „Lhavit seemed like the center of the world for a while because of that one person. Denval is the same in a way …“ He stopped here because he was reluctant to mention his frequent visits to the Temple of Nikali and Lucette. There were people that looked down on Nikali’s servants and the ones that sought their company …

„Did you ever meet such a person?“ he asked. „That one person that makes everything seem magical?“

„This is it“, he confirmed as they entered the clearing. His eyes were wide with surprise. There had been no sign that they were getting closer to their destination. „It’s beautiful, isn’t it? Quiet. Peaceful.“
Veldrys
Player

Words: 401625
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Nashira on February 12th, 2012, 3:29 am

Nashira nodded. "Many, many moons past," she replied. "Back in the city in which I was born. The place where I fell, and then rose from the sea. Dragged onto the wooden beams of a fishing ship by the hands of men, who had caught me in their net." The Ethaefal paused, as she self-consciously ran a hand through her hair, releasing some of the knots. "One of those men took everything in. He took me in. For a time, we lived together. In a small cottage by the sea. A place from which one could hear the water crashing into the shore. Could see the sun set over its expanse. Hear gulls calling, even in the darkness. See their shadows cast against the sparkling silver stars. Leth's moon." Shira paused. "It was a good life while it lasted. Although, it's difficult to say whether or not he appreciated the company of an Ethaefal as much as she appreciated the company of a simple fisherman and sailor." Nashira shrugged. "The ones you love always seem to appreciate it less. That feeling. That fleeting feeling of joy that overwhelms the heart. Encases it, keeping it safe, yet destroying it at the same time. Somehow..."

Nashira's voice trailed off for a time as she nodded absently. As memories of her past flooded her mind. Memories of Caleb. The color of his hair, his eyes, his skin, his lips. The way he always looked at her. Touched her. How rough his hands were, and how, by contrast, the rest of him always seemed so smooth, yet chiseled. "He was lost to the sea. To Laviku, a long time ago... it happens, doesn't it? Life simply catches up to you. To those around you, and before you know it one of you is gone, and the other is left wondering what would have happened. How things would be different had your places been switched. How much longer they have to wait before they rejoin the ones they love. Assuming, of course, that those loved ones bothered to wait for them. That they didn't move on to the next phase of life and death. Whatever that may be."

Again, Nashira fell silent as she stepped forward, towards the bench in the center of the clearing. "Come," she whispered, as she moved gracefully along, taking note of the other people in the clearing. All humans it seemed. Humans with their eyes trained on her, and on her companion. Many of their cheeks etched with hard lines. Their brows furrowed. Startled, Nashira turned towards Veldrys, and leaning a little closer, whispered in his ear. "They're looking at us aren't they?" Shira asked. "Not in a good way... as though they're ready to pounce on us, and serve us up for dinner." As the words left her lips, she moved away, her eyes peering somewhat anxiously around at the others, at the Symenestra, wondering what this was all about. Or if it was simply, a figment of her imagination.
Nashira
Until the Sun Sets...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Veldrys on February 14th, 2012, 9:37 am

He listened quietly as she told the story of her and the fisherman. It seemed strange to him that Ethaefal always fell into the sea, that they seemed to have such close ties to water when they had come from the stars. Even though the man Nashira had once loved had died, he envied her. It sounded as if she had been happy, at least for a while. „It must have been wonderful“, he remarked. „To live there, by the sea, and hear the sound of the waves. It’s the kind of life I would have wished for, despite the way it ended. A simple life.“

„It happens“, he agreed. „People die, and you constantly wonder what would have happened if things had been different. But there is no point in wondering about that. You cannot turn back time, and you cannot switch places with them, even if you sometimes want to. You have no way of knowing if you see them in the Ukalas or if they eventually fall from the stars. All you can do is move on with your life and treasure the memories you have.“

He wanted to sit down in the clearing with her, to exchange more stories or maybe meditate, when he noticed that there were other people there. Normally he wouldn’t have minded – the Labyrinth belonged to all Denvali – but there was something about the way they looked at them that made him very uncomfortable.

„Although most Denvali are friendly, there are some that are against anybody that comes from outside“, he whispered to her so that the strangers couldn’t hear him. „I’m not sure what they want, but maybe it would be better if we left again. I’ve come to the Labyrinth to find a little peace, but it doesn’t seem particularly peaceful now.“
Veldrys
Player

Words: 401625
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Nashira on February 14th, 2012, 8:22 pm

"You're probably right," Shira whispered, as she glanced nervously out at the humans once more. She thought she could see their gazes hardening. Feel their cool glares upon her skin. The way they bore into her skin. Burning holes. Twin holes, spaced so closely together, that at times, it felt as though it were simply, one large, gaping hole. The emptiness that filled her heart and mind, made manifest. Into more of a reality, than simply a slightly esoteric idea. It hurt her to see it coming to life. To know just how much it had grown to overtake her, overwhelm her, throughout the years. She felt sad. A strange yearning, and somewhat pathetic, now that she knew, but she forced herself to push all of those thoughts, all of those feelings, away. For she knew now, that she was in hostile territory.

"That may be a good idea," Nashira whispered, as her eyes scurried from one area of the clearing to the next, wondering if she was wrong, of if anything would change. "It'd be best to avoid trouble," she added, as her hand fell to the hilt of her sword. Her fingers dancing around it warily as her skin sparkled. "Come," she said, as she circled the bench, and went back the way they had come. As she moved, her body gliding easily enough along, she could still sense several pairs of eyes on the back of her neck. She could feel them sinking lower and lower, as a chill shot up her spine. This can't be good, she thought, as her fingers began to drum against the hilt impatiently. Trying to release some of the nervous tension she was feeling, although, it was to no avail.

Frustrated, Nashira picked up the pace, forcing her body towards the stone opening all the more rapidly. What had once seemed so cold and uninviting, was now the only welcoming thing left in the world. She longed for it. Needed it, the escape it provided. The way they would bend and lure each of them away, and more than likely, do the job of keeping possible pursuers at bay. "We should split up," Shira whispered after a few moments. "They may think us less intimidating if we break off our group. Since we'd be stronger together... just stick to the shadows, and loop around before you leave here, and you should be ok, if anyone is foolish enough to come after you." The woman paused as a small smile crossed her lips. "Don't worry about me," she added, as she tapped her sword with her fingers. "They can't match an Ethaefal's reach."

Nashira chuckled, as she darted off to the right. "It was nice to meet you Vel. May Syna's light guide you always, when the whole world seems dark," she called over her shoulder, as she disappeared around another bend. Lost to the cold, relentless earth.
Nashira
Until the Sun Sets...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tabarnac on February 19th, 2012, 5:27 am

XP Award!

Nashira
XP Award: Meditation +1; Observation +2; Hypnotism +2; Storytelling +2; Philosophy +2; Land Navigation +2
Lore: The Labyrinth (partial)

Veldrys
XP Award: Meditation +1; Observation +2; Storytelling +3; Philosophy +2; Land Navigation +2
Lore: The Labyrinth (partial)

Additional Notes:
Nice use of the Labyrinth, kids. I keep hoping Veldrys will meditate upon how it’s like being blood flowing through a body’s arteries and veins, but perhaps in a solo meditation!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

Keep writing!
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Words: 346698
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 3:06 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous