Welcome to the Big City [Open]

A young farm boy wanders, lost, through the winding streets of Syliras. What could possibly go wrong?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Tara on December 20th, 2011, 1:00 am

Tara grinned as she was allowed to join the two. She followed along with light, graceful steps. She had almost forgotten that the idea of her helping Aeryn was to have some time alone. Either way this was the perfect opportunity to learn about the Syliran Knights. As they walked along the street Tara’s eyes flicked back and forth, looking into the many alleyways that branched off the path. Maybe she was being over-cautious but better safe than sorry.

She picked up the strong scent of mouse from one of the alleys and she smiled to herself. Perhaps the mice are retaliating she thought. She turned her head to look at the light haired boy walking beside her. ”So, where’d you come from? You said you were new here, right?” she asked him, curious. He still had the scents of outside the gates so he had probably not been here long. If he had been he would smell of Syliras as Tara had come to. She wondered if he was returning, like Tara was but she doubted it. He would know where things were if he had lived here before.

As the trio turned the corner a wave of human scents washed over Tara, flooding her senses. She stood completely still for a couple moments before she got used to it. She quickly sifted through the current smells as to identify any threats, but there was none that she could find. She started walked again, soon catching up to the other two. The recruitment office was starting to appear into view and the scents of knights were strong in the air. Tara could hear a low hum, the same kind that a large group of people make when they all talk simultaneously.
Tara
Curiosity killed the cat.

Words: 63308
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2011, 8:09 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Etrius on December 20th, 2011, 1:37 am

Etrius smiled at Aeryn's statement and began leading them down the street. The boredom he had felt earlier had almost completely vanished. As he walked he began humming the tune he had made up earlier, this time with a grin on his face. Tara asked Aeryn another question but he kept humming, pretending not to listen. He absentmindedly tested the blade on the forearm of his gauntlet. Yup, still sharp.

He felt it was his turn to ask Aeryn a question. "Why do you want to become a knight?" As they turned the corner Etrius could see the Recruitment Office in the distance. They only had to walk a bit more before the street would spit them back out into the crowd of people. He directed his voice towards Tara. "I've never seen you around here before, Tara." he said. "You sure you're not from someplace else either?"

"When given two choices, always choose the harder path."
Etrius
Mercenary of Good Deeds

Words: 52307
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2011, 3:54 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Aeryn Weylyn on December 20th, 2011, 2:03 am

Aeryn looked over at Tara as they walked, and briefly pondered her question. Technically, he didn't really have a home left, and the Zith city of Xy was definitely not it. Instead he gave a slight shrug, saying, "I used to live on a farm with my family south of here, near the border with Cyphrus. That was a few years ago though, so yeah. I've been pretty much anywhere and everywhere." He gave a slight smile before looking away again, glancing up at the walls of the buildings that rose up about them, seemingly trapping them within this maze of a city. "But yes, I am new here. Just arrived today, in fact, several hours ago." He shifted his gaze back to the kelvic girl to flash another smile, only to find that she had somehow disappeared. Glancing around him, he caught sight of her standing completely still back a few paces the way they had come from. He frowned slightly, and was about to call out to see if she was alright, when she suddenly caught up to them once more, as if nothing had happened. When he heard another question directed at him, this one from Etrius, he turned his gaze towards the man. He frowned slightly, mulling over the question briefly. "Well, I met one of the knights once, a long time ago, back at my farm. He was traveling and my father offered him a room for the night. And so he stayed with us for a night, and told us tons of cool things he had done during his travels." He gave a small shrug and smiled. "I don't know. I guess that man kind of inspired me some how. But, seeing as I don't really have a place to go, I figured the knights were my best bet." He shifted his gaze once more, this time to the ground in front of him. He decided to leave out the part that he was looking for revenge against some of those Zith that had murdered his family and taken him prisoner. A story for another time, perhaps.
Aeryn Weylyn
The Farm Boy

Words: 13985
Joined roleplay: December 6th, 2011, 11:55 pm
Character sheet

Postby Tara on December 20th, 2011, 6:33 pm

Tara frowned slightly. She wondered why Aeryn left his old farm, but figured she shouldn’t pry. She’d only just met him and he’d told her much more than she would tell a couple of strangers. She turned her attention towards Etrius as he asked her a question. ”I haven’t seen you around before either” she retorted. ”Anyway” she added in a lighter tone. ”Don’t come here much during the day, too crowded. I live outside the gates and come in here during the evening and the night time.”. She wondered though if that made her an outsider who simply visited Syliras. She considered herself Syliran even though she was born in Taldera. She had only lived two weeks of her life there and she grew up in Syliras.

As they were walking a particularly tall Syliran knight passed by them. Tara’s muscles instinctively tensed up and the hairs on the back of her neck stood up. She took a deep breath to calm herself down. Her features relaxed and she returned to normal pace. I really have to stop doing that she told herself. She would probably leave Syliras within the next couple weeks though, as the law would catch up with her sooner or later.
Tara

Character sheet

Postby Etrius on December 20th, 2011, 8:55 pm

So he is a farm boy... Etrius thought about his own young life. He had never been on a farm, but his family was still isolated from any major city. Mainly my fault. he thought with an inward smile. Fire had always gotten him in trouble. Memories of his family brought pangs of hurt to his chest, so he figured he had better think about something else.

Tara's sharp retort brought a smirk to his face. "I guess you haven't. I'm kind of a newcomer too. I got here a few days ago, but I can still find my way around." He thought back on exactly why he had come to Syliras and to be honest, he couldn't exactly name a reason. He turned his attention back to Tara as she spoke. "Well then I can't believe I haven't seen you before." he said. "Outside the city is where I've set up camp as well."

They were now drawing nearer to the Recruitment Office. As a knight passed the group Etrius nodded his head in greeting. He respected the knights as fighters and police, but he wasn't particularly interested in joining. Too many rules, regulations, and restrictions. He preferred acting when he wanted, not having to wait for someone above you to tell you what to do and when to do it.

Etrius
Mercenary of Good Deeds

Character sheet

Postby Aeryn Weylyn on December 20th, 2011, 11:42 pm

Aeryn glanced back up as he heard his two companions talking, smiling slightly as he did so. He was about to say something when one of the Sylirian Knights wandered past, and after giving a slight nod in the knights direction, his gaze followed the man for a few paces before looking away once more. He happened to catch sight of Tara tensed up briefly before letting out a breath of air, relaxing once more. He briefly wondered about it, but knew better than to pry into one's personal life. Glancing ahead of them, he caught sight of a large building, one which seemed a bit military-like. He assumed it was their destination. He gazed at the building curiously, thinking about his choice to join the knights. Was he really ready? Would they even wan some nobody farm kid? Despite Etrius and Tara's previous encouragements, the possibility still haunted him. He ook a deep breath, however, and pushed the nagging thoughts away once more. He was going to at least try, and if they rejected him, there was nothing he could do about it. Instead of thinking about it, he switched his thoughts to all the things he would be able to do. After a moment of gazing at the building, he glanced back at ara and Etrius. The Recruitment Office, I'm geussing," he said, nodding in the direction of the large building.
Aeryn Weylyn
The Farm Boy

Character sheet

Postby Tara on December 21st, 2011, 12:44 am

”Well, I do try to stay hidden” she said with a grin. That she did, and she too was surprised that she hadn’t seen him. Tara was still robbing from campers, travellers and hunters as she was when she was younger though she was not so violent this time round. She did try to keep them alive when she could. She made a mental note to track down Etrius’ tent. He looked like he might have some things worth stealing. She turned her head to look at Aeryn when he spoke again.

”Yeah, that’s it” she said, trying to sound nonchalant about it. She turned her head to get a look at the big military looking building. It was larger than Tara expected it to be. She was filled with curiosity, having never really taken much notice of the building or of the Syliran Knights themselves. Sure enough she’d seen them and heard about them enough, and she had acknowledged their strength and abilities. She also took note of their laws so as not to be caught breaking them, and to know what laws there were to be broken. Tara took pleasure out of disobeying the law and getting away with it. It gave her an adrenaline rush and a sense of pride.
Tara

Character sheet

Postby Etrius on December 21st, 2011, 2:05 am

Etrius gave a low whistle as he looked up at the massive building. "Yeah, or at least, it's somewhere in there." The building looked smaller from farther away and he was amazed at its size. And I don't think this is even the biggest thing in the city. People were hurrying in an out of the building, mainly knights. He wondered for a moment how people could build buildings like this. It must have taken hundreds of people working for countless hours.

As they approached the doors of the building Etrius looked back at his companions. Aeryn looked nervous again, but Etrius could see a fire in his eyes, a look of sheer determination. Yea, they'll let him in. Tara, looked a bit nervous as well, maybe because she was surrounded by people who dwarfed her in size, or maybe for some other reason. He shrugged to himself and decided it wasn't his place to pry into her business. He turned again and put a hand on the door. "Ready?"

Etrius
Mercenary of Good Deeds

Character sheet

Postby Aeryn Weylyn on December 21st, 2011, 9:29 pm

When Aeryn's speculation about the building was confirmed, he looked at it in a new light. This was it. He glanced away from the giant of structure, shifting his attention to Etrius as they neared the enterance, watching as the man put his hand on the doors, asking the other two if they were ready. Hope so, Aeryn mused as he glanced up at the building once more before offering up a slight shrug and flashing a grin. "Sure," he replied casually, shifting his gaze back to Tara, noting the look of curiousity occupying her features. He was pretty sure she wasn't planning on joining the knights, but something about them seemed to spark an interest in her. And there were many reasons it would do so. He looked back at the doors, wondering what lay on the other side.

OOCI talked to an AS, who will be playing as Ser Erik, so yeah. ^^ That's taken care of.
Aeryn Weylyn
The Farm Boy

Character sheet

Postby Tara on December 21st, 2011, 9:41 pm

Tara nodded and grinned, trying to appear confident and completely innocent of all crime. She was good at it, otherwise she’d have been sent to the Tank by now. She walked up to the doors and entered the building. It felt very military and the place stank of knight-scent. She walked in further and noted the insane amount of humans in the building. She shifted uncomfortably, feeling quite surround and claustrophobic. She shook off her worries and glanced back at Etrius and Aeryn.

OOCSorry it's not very long!
Tara

Character sheet

PreviousNext