Welcome to the Big City [Open]

A young farm boy wanders, lost, through the winding streets of Syliras. What could possibly go wrong?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Chevalier on December 27th, 2011, 8:55 pm

"Oh? You've had a bit of sword training then? That's valuable, as is any experience with a bow. The rest can and will be learned within the Knights. Sometimes it's said that joining the Knights is easy. I suppose this is true." the Sergeant contemplated that for a moment. Many a time had it been brought up by potential candidtates at how simplistic the recruitment process seemed. That was born partly from ignorance and shortsightedness however. The recruitment process was one thing, but the true trial for Knighthood was one's time as a squire. The simple fact was, not every squire made it to the rank of Knight.

Some squires quit, some absconded, some died. It was through a person's squireship that they would find what it truly meant to be a Knight. It was the only means of preparation, as no amount of lore was sufficient to allow a person to understand that being a Knight wasn't simply the skill of one's sword or the speed of their mount, it was something inside. Some called it 'heart'. It was the desire to share and sacrifice, and to not fight for glory, but for the defense of the people. "Well, Aeryn, you're fit enough, and you've got the desire. These things are important, but it will be your dedication and determination that will allow you to rise from a squire and become a Knight. If you stay truthful and keep your desires honorable, I feel you will not fail. For this reason I find you a fine canditate, and will request an audience with the Grandmaster for you. He will be your final evaluation, and with his blessing I shall assign you a Patron and you will begin your squireship. Are you prepared?" the Knight finally asked, pulling out a piece of parchment, preparing to scribe notes as long as Aeryn said the word.
Chevalier
Knighted by Dusk

Words: 117750
Joined roleplay: December 12th, 2011, 6:50 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Tara on December 27th, 2011, 9:25 pm

Tara shot a glance at Aeryn. By now she would have legged it on a normal day but she felt obliged to stay for whatever reason. She felt quite uncomfortable being here though, considering her main reasons for returning to Syliras. As a small amount of nervousness began to creep through Tara’s veins she stood up abruptly. ”I, um, need to go” she said, not entirely sure of what to do. She nodded at Aeryn, giving him a encouraging smile and left.

OOCI felt it was kind of unnatural for Tara to stay any longer, hope everything goes well from now on
Tara
Curiosity killed the cat.

Words: 63308
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2011, 8:09 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Etrius on December 27th, 2011, 11:25 pm

Etrius nodded. "I should be going as well." As much as the prospect of knighthood began to intrigue him, he felt he no longer belonged here. He stood. "Nice to meet you, Ser Erik. If I am ever interested in joining, I know where to find you." He put a hand on Aeryn's shoulder. "Good luck." He turned and made his way out of the building, leaving Aeryn alone with the old knight.

"When given two choices, always choose the harder path."
Etrius
Mercenary of Good Deeds

Words: 52307
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2011, 3:54 am
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Aeryn Weylyn on December 28th, 2011, 12:16 am

Aeryn listened attentively as the old knight spoke, glad that his sword and bow skill would come in handy. Even though he already knew so. That was part of the reasons he had practicing on his trek up here. He was thrilled when the knight stated that he would be a fine candidate for becoming a squire, putting to ease most of his doubts that he still harbored about his decision to join the knights. He knew that it would still be tough work, that there would be times where he would want to quit with all his heart. But he would stick it out, or at least he would have liked to believe that he would. But who knew what the future held for him. When Ser Erik mentioned an audience with the Grandmaster, Aeryn felt a slight nervousness begin to creep back into him. What was this powerful man like? Would he approve of Aeryn as readily as Erik had? These were questions he harbored, not daring to ask them allowed to the old knight, for fear of seeming timid or easily frightened. He knew not how this final evaluation would turn out, but whatever happened, at least he could say that he tried. Though sometimes, simply trying was not enough.

When asked whether he wished to proceed, he paused for a moment, not wanting to seem over-eager, though he was at the moment. When he was finally about to reply, he was startled somewhat as Tara stood abruptly, stating that she was departing. When she nodded at him, smiling, he barely had time to offer up a slight wave before she was out the door. Perhaps he would run into her at another time, though he slightly doubted that he would, seeing as how big this damned city was. Before he could turn back to Ser Erik, he heard Etrius speak up as well, agreeing with Tara's previous statement about having to leave as well. Aeryn looked up at him as he put a hand on his shoulder, offering him luck, most likely in his ambition to become a knight. "Thanks," he managed to reply before Etrius had left him on his own with the old knight. He found himself slightly hoping that Etrius had a change of heart about joining the knights one of these days. He found that he was starting to like him. Shifting his gaze back to the old knight once more, he let out a slight sigh, before offering up a smile to the old knight once more, this time more confident as he spoke. "Yes, Ser. I am prepared."
Aeryn Weylyn
The Farm Boy

Words: 13985
Joined roleplay: December 6th, 2011, 11:55 pm
Character sheet

Postby Dusk on February 3rd, 2012, 4:59 am

Sorry for the delay, I will be replying to this on Friday/Saturday!
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby Dusk on March 1st, 2012, 3:16 am

OOC: I am watching Supernatural right now, and I am finding it soooo hard to concentrate because I want to make out with your avatar!

Ser Erik gave a jaunty wave to the other two as they headed out, then grinned to Aeryn. "Sounds good m'boy. Let's get you in to see the boss."

He stood and led Aeryn around the desk towards a corner of the room, revealing a nondescript door behind a bookcase. The door was shoved open, and he murmured something to someone beyond. He seemed to receive the reply he wanted, because he swung the door wide and ushered the boy inside. "Just sit a spell," he chuckled, waving again to a set of couches in the solar beyond. "Loren'll be here soon."

The room was gorgeous, a remnant of times long past when the builders of the city could afford to spend space as a luxury. Large and opulently decorated, one entire wall was made of floor-to-ceiling windows revealing a green rooftop garden beyond. A pair of knights stood in full armor to one side, though their plate bore the symbol of a bronze key instead of the tree usually bedecking their uniforms. Each gave Aeryn an encouraging flicker of a smile before largely ignoring him.

He was left to his own devices for perhaps a half a bell, though there was cool apple cider in a pitcher if he wished refreshments.

Finally another door opened, and the Grandmaster of Syliras strode into the room. He was not as physically impressive as some might have thought. But there was an aura around him, an absolute confidence that few alive would question - and those who did likely didn't live long after. Beside him was a younger man with the same huge eyes and dark hair.

"My apologies for the wait," Loren said, smiling and reaching out to shake Aeryn's hand. "I'm Loren Dyres, and this is my brother Karees. Sergeant Knight Karees Dyres, if we're giving out rank," he chuckled.

"Pleased to meet you," Karees said, shaking his hand as well. "Sorry to intrude, but it's about time I started learning how to run more than just a company," he said, grinning with a greater ease than Loren ever did. "So! You're here to throw your lot in with us, huh? Why don't you have a seat and tell us a bit about why you're here."
PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Postby Aeryn Weylyn on March 3rd, 2012, 12:33 am

Aeryn found himself flashing a toothy grin back at the old knight before scrambling quickly to his feet, noticing that Erik had done the likewise seconds before. He followed the knight to a hidden door, concealed behind a bookcase in the corner of the room. Aeryn watched with blatant curiosity as Erik seemingly whispered to someone hidden within, and was caught off guard when the door suddenly swung open before them, revealing a magnificently adorned room within. Gazing through the frame of the door at this beautiful room, Aeryn almost missed Erik's instructions, informing him to bide within this room until the Grandmaster could speak with him. Honestly, he didn't mind waiting in the least; especially in a room as large and fascinating such as this one.

Aeryn stepped into the room, still gazing about in amazement at the marvel of a room, before shifting his gaze back and offering a slight nod and smile in Erik's direction before the old knight left him. Shifting his gaze back to the room, this time setting his emerald gaze upon the two knights standing together, off to one side. He flashed a slight smile back at them, before noticing moments later that, for the most part, they were now almost all but ignoring his presence in the room, though in all actuality, Aeryn was perfectly fine with this fact. He inspected their armor briefly, trying to picture within his mind what he might look like in such armor, before realizing that these knights' armor was slightly different than those that he had seen previously on the few knights he had encountered. He studied the image of the key on their torsos for a moment before glancing away once more, figuring that it wasn't exactly any of his business. After that, Aeryn simply passed the time by examining the contents of the room more closely, before going over to the the wall of windows that all but dominated the room.

Whilst he was gazing curiously out the large windows at the contents on the other side, he was jolted from his thoughts at the sound of an opening door. Aeryn quickly turned from the window and watched, curious and slightly nervous, as two men entered the room. Almost immediately, he could clearly tell which one was the Grandmaster. The way the man walked with such aplomb gave him away almost immediately. Aeryn glanced to the other man accompanying the Grandmaster, a man who practically mirrored the older man's features, and figured that this man was most definitely a close relative, most likely a brother of sorts from the look of it.

Aeryn quickly crossed over to them, though tried not to appear as if he was nervous, instead opting to take long, even strides over to the two men. His suspicions were confirmed when the presumptuous man apologized and introduced himself as Loren Dyres, and the man accompanying him as his brother, Karees. Aeryn returned the smile, although it was considerably less confident than the Grandmasters, even though Aeryn wasn't altogether that nervous, and reached out, firmly grasping the man's outstretched hand. Aeryn shifted his gaze to the Grandmasters brother, who was apparently a Sergeant Knight at that, and flashed another smile as the man greeted him as well, shaking his hand as firmly as he had the Grandmasters. "It's a great honor to meet both of you," he replied wholeheartedly. "My name is Aeryn Weylyn." He briefly wondered if he should addressed them as sirs, but before he could ponder the thought further, he heard Karees speak, and looked back at the knight, who now wore a wide smile, one that seemed natural to him. Aeryn gave a slight nod at the knights question, though knew better than to answer it, for everyone present could tell that that was indeed his intention for being there. Complying with the Knights wishes, he took a seat nearby by and looked from one man to the other, quickly thinking of something to say.

"Well, I recently decided that I really wanted to join the Knights, though, I suppose, I always kind of wanted to do so, long ago," he stated, not sure exactly how to reply to the question. "I traveled here from Cyphrus, though I actually grew up in southern Syliras, before..." he paused, not entirely sure how he should exactly state it. "Well, before my family was murdered," he finally stated, somewhat detached. He glanced away momentarily, before shifting his now cool gaze back to the two men before him. "A Zith raiding party, I suppose. They took me as a slave, after killing my family, at which time I then became enslaved to a female for nearly four years before I managed to escape, which occurred less than a year ago," he continued, his emerald gaze now glinting with a determined light. "I didn't know where to go, seeing as my family was gone and the property long burned to ash. And then I remembered a Syliran Knight that I had once met, back at my farm with my family. He was traveling through the area, and my parents offered him a room for the night. During his stay with us, I remember him telling me and my siblings incredible tales of the deeds he had done traveling as a Knight, and I suppose that he inspired me. And so, I traveled here to join the knights, and so here I am," he finished, flashing a slight smile at the two men. He was still nervous, but the recounting of the attack on his family's farm and the events that had followed had renewed his determination to join the Knights. This was the first time he had actually recounted what had happened that night, the first he had ever spoke of it aloud, and the realization did nothing to deter his willingness to join the Syliran Knights, instead strengthening it. He awaited uncertainly, wondered what would happen next, for if he was rejected from the Knights, he knew not what he would do next.
Aeryn Weylyn
The Farm Boy

Words: 13985
Joined roleplay: December 6th, 2011, 11:55 pm
Character sheet

Previous