[Stories in the Snow] The Language of Song and Pen (Coren)

Kendall and Coren meet and decide on a educational trade. Vani lessons in exchange for writing lessons.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Kendall Saarinen on December 19th, 2011, 8:48 pm

OOCPink text is Vani
Timestamp: 3rd of Winter, 511 AV

When Kendall had heard that there was a library in Avanthal, he could not get started looking for it fast enough. It had been far too long since Kendall had walked the halls of a library. The last time had been back in Zeltiva. It seemed like lifetimes ago. He could only imagine what this library could have. He was so used to Zeltiva's literature, although Zeltiva did have a good share of books from across the continent. Avanthal's library had to be interesting. The Vantha had been up in the north for so long and they had a Goddess living in their city! Besides, the hope to find information that would help him find a way to free Ivak was ever present. First off, he needed to find the place.

The blond walked alone, trying to see something, anything that would point out where the library would be. His limited knowledge in Vani helped with looking but sadly, it seemed he still had a lot to learn in the language. Finally he stopped a passing Vantha to ask for help. "Do you know where the library is?" The Vantha smiled lightly at him. He was very clearly an outsider in this city. If his lack of fluency in the native language was not an immediate tell, his blond hair was sure to mark him proudly as an outsider. No Vantha had such light hair. "Yes, head down this street and then you should find it. It is a brown stone building with a set of stairs in front." Kendall nodded and thanked the stranger before walking off again, trying to work out what exactly it was that they had said. He only knew bits of it. He clearly needed to polish up his Vani.

When the blond finally reached the library, he pushed through the doors, and smiled lightly at the sight of so many books. He felt at home amongst them. He could not wait to get started but then it hit him. The books were probably written in Vani too. Maybe there would be a book that could teach the language. That would be helpful.

Kendall's mismatched eyes scanned the library in search of anyone who might have been on staff. His gaze stopped on a man who seemed to be napping at the counter. He walked up slowly, looking down at the worker. He was not sure if he should wait for him to wake up or try to wake him himself. "Um… excuse me? I need to find a book. One to teach Vani." He bit his lips nervously, hoping that his words had roused the sleeping man. He didn't want to try to poke him to wake him up.
"I'm burning and I'm blacking my lungs.
Boy you know it feels good with fire back on your tongue."
-Ryan Ross

Kendall Saarinen
Like John Allerdyce but hotter

Words: 595666
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2010, 1:04 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Coren on December 19th, 2011, 11:58 pm

Coren was blissfully unaware of everything happening around him and just had a happy smile on his face, though nobody could see it underneath his mask, as a wonderful dream was slowly playing in his sleeping mind, his unconcious mind molding some outcome of the ambitious goals that had been living in his mind for quite a while.

Coren was... following an older man wearing a heavy dark brown robe was walking past stocked bookshelves that rose up as high as he could see, his very posture radiating self-confidence and power and the few other people that where also in the giant library quickly made way for him. Though he couldn't really make out what the expression on their faces indicated.. was it respect or fear? Before coren could take another look, the older man took a turn down one of the corridors and began leaving the library behind him, the walls of the corridor decorated with sculptures of obvious quality, though the older man didn't pay it any heed and nor did coren really besides noticing they where there.
“Headmaster?” Somebody asked in a hesitant tone. Coren looked around in bewilderment before noticing man who had suddenly appeared in front of the older man.
“what is it?” the older man said as he looked at the man standing in front of him.
"Um… excuse me? I need to find a book. One to teach Vani." Coren just raised his eyebrow... didn't the man just talk perfect vani the sentence before this on... coren's thought was brutally caught off as suddenly the entire floor underneath him disappeared and he fell down into a black hole.

Coren shot wide awake and looked around with a confused look in his eyes before noticing the foreigner standing in front of him.
“Ah... sorry, dozed of for a moment.” Coren said in heavily accented common, guessing the man wouldn't know anything about the vantha language anyway. “What can I help you with?” coren patiently waited for the man to repeat whatever he said a few moments ago.

oocKnow the dream segment is random, but I liked it ^^;

"I'm speaking vani"
"I am speaking common"
"Me speaking nader canoch!"

Real life is kicking me in the can at the moment. posting is delayed. sorry for the inconvienience.
Coren
journeyman mage

Words: 294771
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2011, 7:33 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Guest Storyteller (1)