Look What Dragged In The Cat (Solaris)

Shadekas interupts a dice game and gets more than he bargined for.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

Postby Shade on December 22nd, 2011, 9:53 pm

Shadekas nodded, his face a mask, though inside he was relieved. The kelvic would have been hard pressed to avoid certain people even now if they were looking for him. "Good. Will you follow me?" Shade said, checking both horses in the stable quickly, forking them over some hay, and then leading Solaris into The Blinding Light proper. They used the side entrance that lead up to the living quarters above the jewelcrafting studio. They passed through a simple common room that had a hearth and several couches, a table, and a large bank of windows overlooking the courtyard below. He passed into the other room, a small kitchen, and rummaged to see what there was to eat.

Pulling a large bowl down from the cupboard, Shadekas ladled some leftover stew that was still warming by the fire into a bowl and handed it to Solaris along with a heel from a fresh baked loaf of bread. "Have a seat and I'll go find you something better to wear." Shadekas said, showing him to a table pushed up against the wall in the kitchen. The Monk departed briefly walking down a long hallway and opening one of the doors. His room wasn't spacious though it was bigger than his quarters at The Tempered Anvil. Shade walked in, opened a big chest at the foot of a full sized bed, and rummaged through it. He pulled forth a deep blue nightshirt.

He walked slowly back down the hall, laying the shirt next to Solaris on the table. Then he took a seat, settling across from Solaris. "There's several things we'll need to do, though most will have to wait until the morning. First thing tomorrow, we need to get you your own clothing. Then, we need to get you registered for a citizen so we can get you food delivered. That man was starving you because he didn't have rations for you. Here we pool our food sometimes and it gives us extra, which is why you can eat. Then you'll need to tell me everything you know about the guy with that nasty leash. Once I know enough about him, we're going to go make sure he doesn't stay in town. I hope to Xannos he lives here in the Western Quarter. That would make things a whole lot easier." Shadekas planned out loud, drumming his fingers on the table and looking a little irritated at the whole thing.

When Solaris was done eating, Shade leaned back and said quietly. "Start talking. Tell me everything you know about that man, Solaris. Please." He added, his tone deadly serious.
Shade
The Black Opal.

Words: 215158
Joined roleplay: November 25th, 2011, 7:08 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Solaris on December 22nd, 2011, 11:21 pm

Sol gave the horses a wide berth; he wasn't fond of the beasts, and they never seemed to be fond him, even the slate gray Windrunner Rhyss owned. Which he had attempted to steal after he ran during the burning of the apothecary, but the steed had bucked him out of the saddle and disappeared. Whether it had rejoined its master, who he still wasn't sure was alive or not, remained a mystery.

He followed Shadekas warily, remaining in the common room by the hearth. His eyes darted this way and that, taking in the new sights and possible escape routes should he need them, windows and doors and all.

Sniffing at the stew made him realize just how hungry he was; it was as if time and circumstance had managed to push it to the back of his mind. He began lapping at the stew and tearing at the bread before considering the possibility of poison; he hadn't seen what Shadekas did in the kitchen. But he hadn't heard anything out of the ordinary either, just the shifting of the pot and the clank of the metal ladle against the pot and bowl. By the time Shadekas returned with the blue shirt, he was more than halfway through with his meal, and he scarfed down the rest in seconds. It did not occur to him to say thank you.

The monk was talking again but he was hardly listening, he was so caught up in eating and basking in the strange sensation of being full for once, for his mind being able to concentrate on something other than food. That stew was clearly not the finest of dishes but it had been good, warm and filling and after the last two weeks, frankly, anything would have been delicious to him.

He tugged the nightshirt over his head; as it belonged to the man, who was much bigger than him, it fell well past his hips.

"He's called Crow," Solaris finally spoke up, peering into the now empty bowl. Oh goddess, had that soup been wonderful. "And he lives in Syliras. Well, he used to. Until the place burned down." He offered no further explanation on that bit of information. "He dragged me all the way to Nyka on a half-dead horse that's probably been boiled down to glue by now." Good riddance; the animal hadn't taken a liking to him either, and its parting gift was a swift kick to his side when he accidentally ventured too close. "I was only with him for two weeks, but from what I gathered, there wasn't too much to him apart from cards, ugly women, and drink." And a penchant for pale, slender young men, he soon learned. "His friends were all the same. He could be anywhere at this point- heading back to Syliras, still in that alley, or drowning in someone's gutter..." On his own vomit. Sol felt no mercy whatsoever for him.

"He had a family once, though, I think." Sometimes he'd chain the cat up in the sorry excuse for a common room, where a grimy, dusty picture of another woman and a small girl took up residence in a frame by the lamp. "But it was obvious they were long gone by the time he found me."
Solaris
Player

Words: 16911
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2011, 9:47 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Postby Shade on December 23rd, 2011, 9:31 am

When Solaris' bowl was empty, Shadekas refilled it about half way, giving him the rest of the remaining stew from their late evening meal. More bread was offered as well along side it. Shade hated seeing the cat's ribs. He was rail thin and frail. Fed up and healthy he'd be what Shade considered sleek. Even as a human, sitting across the table mimicking one, Shadekas could see the cat in him. It was almost as if he was a cat just borrowing the human form and not really a human at all.

"There's someone else I'd like you to meet. But I want you to promise me something. Don't hurt her. It might go against your nature, but she's under my protection as well." He added, slipping out of the room once more. Solaris could tell he walked back down the hallway and into the same set of doors that had been opened earlier. Shade returned, a newly fledged snow white raven perched on his shoulder. She paced from his right clavicle to his left, and blinked as if she'd been woken up and was none too happy about it. "This is Opal. She lives here with me. She roams freely through the facility, like you will, but I'd like for you two to get along if you are going to be sticking around." Shade said, gently reaching up and plucking the young Raven off his shoulder and setting her on the table. She tilted her head sideways, looked at Solaris sideways with eyes that were blue rather thank pink, and then did an exact imitation of a cat purring.

Shade cracked a smile. Solaris might have noticed that he rarely did and certainly didn't laugh outright. His mirth was evident but reserved.

Opal continued her strange sideways hopping and managed to make it to Solaris' bread where she cawed obnoxiously and then tilted her head to look at him. She purred again and reached out, stealing a huge hunk of his bread. Back peddling she skittered across the table, bread still in her beak, looking victorious.

Shade simply watched, seeing what Solaris was going to do. Animals, especially predators, had food aggression sometimes. If this was going to be a problem - Solaris sharing his rations - then it best be something Shade knew about right away.
Shade
The Black Opal.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Solaris on December 23rd, 2011, 9:50 am

Upon seeing the bird- a white rat with wings, as far as Sol was concerned- his eyes immediately narrowed in distaste. He drew back from the table when Shadekas set the bird down, letting out a low hiss.

And what did the bird do in response?

It purred.

It goddamn purred.

Sol hissed at it again, louder this time, but it was not daunted and continued hopping its merry way across the table. He was too busy glaring to realize what it was after- his bread.

He let out an open snarl, lunging forward, but the bird was already out of reach and he only succeeded in knocking his knees painfully into the underside of the table.

Damn his clumsy human body. It was a split second decision launched by irritation when he shifted back into his cat form, bounded onto the table, and pounced on the bird.

It wasn't that he was hungry. After all that stew- plus extra- he certainly wasn't starving anymore. But Sol absolutely abhorred birds, especially ravens and crows, and an albino scavenger with unsettling, strange eyes wasn't going to best him. He was a cat- cats eat birds, don't they? He may be small and brittle but he was a cat, and he was going to make sure that bird knew it.
Solaris
Player

Character sheet

Postby Shade on December 23rd, 2011, 10:33 am

The funny thing about the scenario was that although Opal was just barely fledged and Solaris was a grown cat, they were roughly the same size. Shadekas hovered, afraid what was happening was going too. Solaris leaped, pounced, and tried to end what Shadekas could only ascertain was Opals miserable life according to Solaris.

He intervened, but not before the sqwacking fledgeling had taken scratches, bites, and had given scratches and pecks in return. Given enough time, Solaris would have undoubtedly killed Opal and left her for dead. Shadekas felt a core deep sadness as he pried the two apart, taking multiple scratches and pecks in and of his own right. The monk was swearing by the time he got the two tangled bodies apart. Opals body was dotted with blood that stained her white feather's red.

Shade had Solaris by the scruff of his neck. He turned the cat so he was staring into his eyes, and shook his head. His eyes burned with rage. He kept a tight grip on the cat letting the white raven fledgling half hop and half jump down to the floor and scurry off towards the hallway. His voice was controlled rage and his eyes flashed blue fire. He did not strike the cat, but instead kept its scruff fisted painfully in his right hand, holding him all but immobile.

"Not more than fifteen chimes ago you swore to agree to my rules. Those rules stated, and I quote... "If you stay, and agree to these things and then break the rules, there will be no stopping me. If you hurt me or mine, steal anything here other than time, you best start running and never stop. Because I will find you. And you will not like the apology I will make you give." The man was furious when he spoke, but it was a controlled fury. "Don't you remember?" Shade deliberately and very slowly released Solaris so he landed with a thump on the top of the table next to his bowl.

"You can't stay here if you can't follow the rules. You agreed. Then you broke them. You know where the door is." He had said suddenly, very softly, coldness infusing his voice. Shade's eyes seem to bore into the young kelvic, but if Solaris looked close enough he'd see the fear and worry in the Monks gaze as well as a flash of sadness.

Opal had climbed a curtain which shaded the kitchen from the outside courtyard during sunny days and now perched on top of its rod, overlooking the scene. She looked scared, bewildered, and uncertain what had just happened. The bird kept swaying, opening and closing her beak, looking distinctly scared of Solaris.

He didn't want to turn the little cat out, but he couldn't have him breaking the rules so easily and so quickly after agreeing to them. Opal lived there too, as did Shade and other monks. They had to have peace: to pray, to work, to study. Shade backed off, letting the cat do what it wanted, seeing what its reaction would be.
Shade
The Black Opal.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Solaris on December 23rd, 2011, 4:54 pm

Sol let out a yowl when he was yanked back by Shadekas. He hung by the scruff of his neck, and the moment he was forced to look into the older man's eyes, he immediately went from being frustrated to absolutely afraid. This was it, the man was going to beat him for roughing up his bird. He might make him shift back into human form; whips and switches always hurt that much more when he was-

He landed on his feet when he was dropped on the table. Shrinking back, tail between his legs and ears flattened against his skull, he watched the man apprehensively...

But the man didn't raise a hand to strike him. He hadn't even physically thrown him out the door.

With a small flash of light, Sol shifted into his human form, and it was evident on his face just how anxious and fearful he was.

"But I... I wasn't going to kill the thing," Sol stuttered.

He didn't know why he was suddenly appealing to the man. Just moments ago his only thoughts had been of bird, bite, claw, scratch. But he was suddenly feeling the weight of the situation and both his genetics and his personality were incredibly fluid, wont towards impulsiveness and lapses of logic. Fortunately he wasn't so devoid of reason as many Kelvics- Rhyss had seen to that, practically beaten logic into him- and his head had cleared enough for him to know that if Shadekas turned him out into the streets now, he was mostly likely going to be picked up by another man just like Crow. Or worse. And this time there probably wouldn't be a mysterious monk coming to his rescue.

Sol wasn't one for manners or etiquette. He didn't understand the concept, and any deference he showed to his masters had been born of natural inclination and fear. But he'd seen situations played out before and he knew the right things to say, such as "thank you," and "you're welcome." But this particular moment called for something else.

"I'm... I'm sorry," he said, and although the words felt foreign on his tongue, as he hardly ever used them and all the times he had, it had beaten out of him, it sounded genuine enough. It wasn't much of a life; he really was sorry for attacking the bird if it meant he had to suffer such dire and immediate consequences. He slid off the table and sank to his knees before Shadekas, bowing his head and staring at his feet. What would increase his chances of earning forgiveness? Should he rub up against him? Rhyss always seemed to like that, but humans were a volatile, motley bunch...

In the end, he decided to maintain his distance, unwilling to receive a kick in the ribs if the man suddenly changed his mind. But he looked up at Shadekas with his large, golden eyes even though it almost hurt to look at him, the older man's gaze was that intense, that dominant, his emotions so clear that there was no doubt in the Kelvic's mind just how upset he was. "Please..." he said quietly, the word coming out as a mewl.
Solaris
Player

Character sheet

Postby Shade on December 23rd, 2011, 7:29 pm

Shadekas simply stared at the Kelvic for a long while. He had no idea how to real deal with them or what they were truly like. He heard Solaris' words and understood, somewhat, that the man was sorry but he wasn't sure it was enough. And he wasn't sure Solaris truly understood.

The apology surprised him. It merited a response, so he offered one in his own simple way.

"I saw how that man treated you. I heard what he said about you stealing food and getting into trouble. I can see the hate in your eyes when you think about him and how you have no respect or liking for him at all. Solaris, look up at Opal. What did she do? She took your bread and you attacked her. Now shes bleeding, scared, and afraid of you. Do you know what that means? It means you acted just like Crow. You did to Opal what Crow did to you. She cannot help that she is a raven, any more than you can help that you are a cat. But the difference is certainly that you have a choice in how you act. Do you want to be like Crow? Do you want someone who's sweet, only a baby, like Opal to be afraid and fearful of you not knowing when the next beating is going to come and expecting blows when they really aren't deserved?" He asked, glancing up at the raven again.

"She was only hungry. There is no crime in that. And if we have food, it is our obligation to ease that hunger if we can and it does not cost us. It cost you nothing to share your bread with her. Your belly is already full and I had just given you extra." Shadekas said, looking solemn, and glancing back down to meet Solaris' gaze.

It had been a test of character. Shadekas was still not convinced of it being a fair test or not, but it had been a test. He had no baseline to judge Kelvics on or if they were normally selfish creatures. But Shade thought Solaris could do better. But expecting better of him right away might be a bit much. The creature might just need time, some care, and a support system to show him that life held better things in store than abuse.

Or he might need a swift kick to the ass too.

Some people were just rotten all the way down to the spirit. They were so damaged, core deep, that there was no reversing it and no hope for any better for them. There were warning cards, no outwards signs that something was wrong or rotten within. All one could do to spot them was to watch. Shadekas watched, and waited for Solaris' reaction to his words.
Shade
The Black Opal.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Solaris on December 25th, 2011, 6:19 am

As if he were a scolded child, Sol stared sullenly at Shadekas' feet. He knew pride wouldn't help him here; after all, that was what got him into this mess. But at least he didn't have to apologize directly to the damn bird...

It stung, though, being compared to Crow. He wasn't that bad, was he? No one liked birds to begin with, especially oddly colored scavengers like Opal... And so he decided in the back of his mind that he disagreed with Shadekas. Better that the bird learned as soon as possible to stay out of his way. Maybe that was a bit heavy-handed in thinking, though. Opal was young for a bird; if it was a mean old codger that was just bound to clash with him, perhaps his actions would have been more than justified, but...

The thing was, Shade really didn't know much about Kelvics if he thought he assumed he could reason with one. Fortunately, though, Sol could keep up. He was rather smart for his age and race; Rhyss had seen to that, had sensed the greater potential and beat it until it functioned at a higher standard.

He wasn't sure if it was guilt he was feeling, and if it was, he highly doubted it was for hurting the bird, and instead for displeasing his ma-

Wait. What was Shade to him? The man had bought him, after all, closed and fed him and even invited him to bed.
Solaris
Player

Character sheet

Postby Shade on December 25th, 2011, 7:34 am

Shadekas didn't think he got through to Solaris, but then again Solaris wasn't exactly human. Shade had yet to truly figure out what or how to deal with Solaris - or even if he needed delft with at all - so he was was learning with each sentence and each action Solaris took. The cat was so young and so vulnerable to the world, but it was obvious he'd learned so lessons Shade thought he could do without. One of these was humbling himself.

"Don't hurt her anymore, Solaris. Or anyone, for that matter that is weaker than you unless you are defending yourself or something you love and prtect." He said firmly, wanting this to be understood. Then he stepped forward and caught Solaris' chin with his rough palm. He tilted it upwards and smiled at the kelvic.

"Always keep your chin up. You're a beautiful, smart and strong man. Own your mistakes and learn from them, but never hang your head."
Shadekas said, leaning forward. He gently kissed Solaris' forehead lightly and ran his hand through the cats fur again, liking the feel of the kelvics hair in his hands.

"Now, I think you should get some rest. You don't have too, but if your tired, you can find my room and sleep there if you'd like. I have a whole ton of work downstairs in the workshop to get done before the sun rises. You can come hang out and talk if you aren't tired or don't want to sleep. I don't care what form you wear either. Just treat the people here with respect and don't hurt them, especially Opal. Do you understand?" He asked. Shadekas had to get his contract done for in the morning, and ready in time for the afternoon meeting. But Solaris needed some peace and rest, of that Shade was sure.

Things would be better in the morning for certain.
Shade
The Black Opal.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Solaris on December 26th, 2011, 6:25 am

No one had ever kissed Sol that way.

He'd been mouthed over and manhandled every which way, but that... No one had ever held him so gently, touched him so warmly, so... tenderly. Shadekas' actions confused the Kelvic to no end. He simply didn't understand how someone, especially a human could treat him this way. As if he mattered.

On the same note, no one had ever called him beautiful.

Exhaustion sudden weighed on his shoulders. Like his hunger, he had managed to push it aside until now.

"I think..." he began. Then he exhaled. For when Shadekas began touching him again, he'd simply forgotten to breathe. "I think I'll just go to sleep."

Once Shadekas led the way, he slipped into the older man's bed, looking at him apprehensively before curling up on his side. Even in his human form he was especially flexible, tucking himself into a tight little ball, much like a cat would. To avoid the man's piercing gaze he turned away and stared at the wall. As tired as he was he wouldn't let himself slip off right away; this room and the man within it were far too foreign, and it frightened him. But eventually sleep played at his eyelids, made them droop lower and lower, and then he was fast asleep.
Solaris
Player

Character sheet

PreviousNext