[The Chapel] Evanesce (Veldrys)

Xelhes goes to visit Veldrys again.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Postby Xelhes on December 28th, 2011, 11:35 pm

Winter 10th, 511 A.V.

No matter how hard he tried, Xelhes simply could not come to truly love the winter season in Denval. The settlement simply became uncomfortably cold, food normally going low at some point, and even some of the kindest people seemed displeased about something; that was how Xelhes saw things, they being the most common occurrences during the harsh season. Winter had hardly even begun and already he wanted nothing more than spring and summer to come back, the seasons where it was generally warm and gathering herbs was much more doable. The cold had ruined almost all of the herbs Xelhes knew of in the area surrounding Denval, the plants withered and damaged to the point that they were no longer of any use; anything that could be salvaged would most likely be extremely diluted as well. He would look again tomorrow, but any time after that would probably simply be a waste of time; searching for dead and useless plants was hardly what one would call a productive way to spend time.

Today though Xelhes had decided to try and visit Veldrys, to get whatever mentor ship he could while there was still a possibility. With the winter’s arrival, practical learning would be much more difficult though the Ethaefal did not doubt that Veldrys would have at least some herbs to show him. The visit was one Xelhes had postponed for quite some time, due to the events that had occurred during their last, and first, meeting. Both had been struck by a powerful nausea when Veldrys had used his gnosis mark, as well as gained a glimpse at their own and each other’s past lives. Physically the Ethaefal had felt better the day after, but mentally it took time to sort everything. It was a lot to process: his own memories, the foreign memories of another and the information of a relic called the Solduvan Stone. Now that he felt confident that he had sorted everything, Xelhes was ready to see Veldrys again; the Ethaefal hoping that his Symenestra acquaintance had also sorted the disarray that had likely inhabited it.

Entering the Chapel, Xelhes shivered for a moment despite the change from the cold outside to a slightly warmer building. Originally he had thought of visiting the Symenestra's home but decided against it, the notion possibly seeming rude to Xelhes. He had only met the healer once and showing up to his house to see him seemed odd, something that a friend would do. Despite how much they may have learned from each other Xelhes felt as if Veldrys did not seem him as a friend, rather a person the Symenestra could talk to because of his open mind approach. It was most likely only because of this mind frame, as well as understanding no issue was simply black or white, that Xelhes had been able to still view Veldrys and his people the same. The truth of Symenestra procreation had been a shock to the Ethaefal and he could imagine how others would hate the race, yet Xelhes simply could not do it. How could he hate a group of people that were simply doing what they had to in order to survive? When Veldrys spoke of it the man seemed saddened by the fact, bringing comfort to Xelhes as it told him that at least Veldrys truly understood how horrible a predicament it was.

Looking around for a brief moment Xelhes noticed the Symenestra at the altar, this time seemingly alone though possibly praying. Slowly the Ethaefal walked up to the altar, glancing at the occasional person who was praying and smiling lightly at those that met his gaze. It still felt old to act so warm towards others yet at the same time it brought comfort and warmth to Xelhes. He had denied it for a good length of time though the truth was apparent; he did enjoy the company of others, as well as their happiness. Being detached from everyone had been an unpleasant time; Xelhes could see that now and had no intentions of living like that ever again. Now standing beside Veldrys, the Ethaefal looked at the altar and said the same silent prayer as last time, his eyes closing as he focused on it. For those who inhabited Denval to survive the season and other events that could occur during such a time. The prayer was not directed at Xelhes himself, but rather those who had already suffered from misfortune; the people that had already seen how cruel the world could be.

Opening his eyes Xelhes turned his gaze to meet Veldrys', the man done with whatever he had been doing. With a small smile appearing on one side of his mouth the Ethaefal turned to the altar again, then said, "I did not mean to take so long, but I think I am ready for you to teach me what you can about herbs; maybe even medicine if you think I have a talent for healing." Xelhes turned around, looking at the rest of the Chapel and the people inside, the cold having lost its effect. "I need time to think about everything; the visions we saw, and what you told me about your people. Considering how sick you were, I assumed you probably would need some time to yourself as well." Xelhes stated, smiling at a young man and woman who were looking at him, or Veldrys. With that thought he said nothing more, simply returning his gaze to the altar and then the floor just before it. It was the Symenestra's turn to speak as Xelhes was unsure of what else to say.

He was unsure on how to go about saying anything else, not without risking the chance of offending Veldrys. The topic of his people and his life as a prophet were delicate concepts, both of which Xelhes did not know how to approach. The Ethaefal knew that saying something even slightly incorrect could end any possible friendship or bond that could be formed and with the chance there he did not want it destroyed. Yet simply being here and speaking to the man, even knowing the truth of what the Symenestra did and do, was proof enough to Xelhes that his view of Veldrys had not changed; it may have improved to an extent. Xelhes only hoped that the healer saw that as well, that he did not judge Veldrys or his people to a high degree based on the actions they had executed.

Last edited by Xelhes on February 18th, 2012, 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xelhes
Player

Words: 159436
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2011, 10:16 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Veldrys on January 15th, 2012, 7:07 am

Unlike Xelhes Veldrys found the winter season fascinating. In the underground city of Kalinor, his home, it never snowed. The seasons never changed there. The temperature was always the same, no matter whether it was summer or winter. When he had been a child the Symenestra hadn’t even known what snow was. He had only learned about it later in life, during one particularly exciting trip to the surface. He had laughed with joy the first time he had seen those white flakes fall from the sky. In his opinion the world looked more beautiful when it was covered with snow, although he still hadn’t gotten used to the cold entirely.

In winter he treated different ailments than he did in summer. More people seemed to suffer from a cough. There were lots of runny noses, fevers, sometimes something worse, but work related accidents were fewer. People didn’t spend as much time outside. From what he had seen since he had been on the surface winter was a quiet season.

It had become a little colder in the Chapel, and the Symenestra had exchanged his usual silk robe for a warm cloak and pants and a shirt made of wool. He was even wearing boots, something that he didn’t find particularly comfortable. In Kalinor few people wore boots – or shoes at all – as they tended to hinder them when climbing. Veldrys hadn’t received his first pair of shoes until he had accompagnied his father to the surface for the first time.

As Xelhes entered, the Symenestra had just cleaned the altar and made sure that it looked good so that it would please Viratas. As the Ethaefal adressed him, he turned around. There was a smile on his face as well, although it was exceptionally light. „Xelhes“, he greeted the man and inclined his head. „It doesn’t matter that you didn’t come to me immediately. We are not in a hurry. It is good that you took some time to think about what happened.“

„How are you?“
Veldrys
Player

Words: 401625
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Xelhes on February 7th, 2012, 9:18 am

Talk of the Ethaefal not returning immediately made Xelhes almost feel a little sour inside, unhappy about the thought that the comment almost sounded like he depended on Veldrys to an extent. While he did, the Ethaefal did not want to confirm it; Veldrys was the person whose past memories were now in the Ethaefal's mind, and vise versa, so in turn Xelhes did depend on the Symenestra in the way that he was the only one who could understand that event in any way. It still felt odd to have another individual's memories inside his mind, almost feeling as if he had violated Veldrys', despite not meaning to.

Being asked how he was made the Ethaefal turn to the cleaned altar, his eyes distant for a moment. Keeping his voice quiet so others in the chapel would not have to hear, he said, "Even with the time that has passed I am still a little...unsure. The memories have sorted themselves out and my sickness has passed, but even now some of these memories feel defiled, as if stolen. Your memories, they feel like another consciousness inside my own, as if you wrote a diary and I stole the pages, claiming them to be my own experiences...If that makes any sense." Xelhes turned his head a small amount, looking at Veldrys from the corner of his eye before turning back to the altar.

Although he knew his explanation was poor, as it was not truly possible for a fragment of Veldrys' own consciousness to reside in his own, it was exactly how it felt to the Ethaefal. The foreign memories felt like a completely different individual inside his mind, one that was hollow and had no will; a presence that was not his own, and one that also had no life. Shaking his head and removing the thoughts from his mind, pushing the memory of a lonely prophet away. Xelhes turned to Veldrys with a smile that made it look like he had never said his past words, as if nothing serious had been spoken at all. "So, what are you going to teach me first? Being winter I know there will not be a truly large amount to learn but still I am sure that even in this harsh season plenty of plants still thrive." The words were light and carried a general care free tone, the fact that Xelhes was trying to move away from what he had previously said to Veldrys being highly visible.

In truth Xelhes was worried that Veldrys would have the same feeling, that the memories he had obtained from Xelhes felt like an invading force in the back of his mind; completely foreign, always sitting there, yet doing nothing and not truly invading. Xelhes knew that it was possible he only felt this way because he still believed he had stolen some of Veldrys' memories; taken a piece of his past without ever asking, or wanting it. Still, Xelhes secretly was happy it was memories of the prophet and not Veldrys in this life. To gain memories of when the Symenestra learned about the death of any woman pregnant with a Symenestra child, or to have a memory of such an event happening, were things Xelhes did not know he could process; accepting the truth was one thing, but having any memories of such an event was quite another.

Last edited by Xelhes on February 18th, 2012, 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xelhes
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Veldrys on February 9th, 2012, 6:39 pm

„You haven’t stolen my memories“, Veldrys replied. „You didn’t do it on purpose, did you? You have my memories because I used my gnosis. I’m responsible for what has happened, and I don’t mind if you keep them. Keep them safe as I will keep your memories safe.“ It didn’t bother him at all that he shared some of Xelhes‘ memories as well now. He was used to knowing other people’s thoughts, to getting glimpses of their past. He couldn’t imagine being without the strange gift that his god had given him anymore. It was a part of him. He would feel empty without it.

„It is true that some plants still grow, despite the gold“, he confirmed. „I also have dried plants in my quarters if you want to take a look at them. I wouldn’t make it through the cold season without them. I can teach you how to identify certain plants, how to tell poisonous from edible ones and how to make certain remedies. Would that interest you? I can also teach you a bit of medicine. Ultimately the knowledge of herbs is useless if you cannot tell what kind of ailment the person in front of you is suffering from. Sometimes a cure for one illness makes another illness worse.“

It would be obvious to Xelhes that the Symenestra didn’t feel the aftereffects of what had happened as strongly. Veldrys was calm, as always. He occasionally thought about what he had seen, about the person that Xelhes had once been and about the stone, but he didn’t feel unhappy. He didn’t feel as if he were intruding. The only thing that bothered him was that he was no closer to finding the stone, no closer to solving the riddle. Besides that, he was looking forward to teaching the Ethaefal.
Veldrys
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Xelhes on February 10th, 2012, 2:01 am

Even with Veldrys' words, Xelhes' opinion did not change in the least, though the Ethaefal did not return any words to show this; he simply stood there listening, though even without words his expression probably gave way to his emotions. Just because Veldrys was alright with it did not mean Xelhes was in anyway. He knew that the memories were not truly stolen, yet even so it still felt wrong. The Ethaefal was use to having different memories at night, the memories of lives long past but even so those were memories he had experienced, and personal as well; that was the other reason he was displeased, the fact that it felt like he had shared something overly personal with someone he still hardly knew. Had the two been friends and known each other longer, Xelhes was certain the event would have had much less of an effect.

When Veldrys spoke of keeping the memories safe the Ethaefal nodded, slightly hesitating before doing so, taking a moment to actually think on what the words entitled. After the Symenestra finished speaking again Xelhes nodded towards the man before saying, "Sure, we can go take a look. I am willing to learn anything you can teach me. Any information is useful for a healer, no matter how small...but I am sure you would know that far better than me." If Veldrys was willing to teach him something, Xelhes would be glad to learn. Starting out as a healer or herbalist would be difficult with others more skilled than him already being in the area, so to Xelhes every little lesson would help considerably.

If the Ethaefal could have remembered he would have led the way Veldrys' quarters, but he was not sure on where it was exactly. He knew that he had helped carry the Symenestra that night Veldrys' gnosis had acted up but that was awhile ago, and Xelhes had not really payed attention to where he was going so much as just trying to help carry the Symenestra. Taking a look at the altar again, Xelhes began to think of a question that he was unsure he had asked before. The answer was one he already assumed, but then again he also assumed two different answers. Continuing to observe the altar with a thought filled look, the Ethaefal asked, "Veldrys, what do you do to pay tribute to Viritas again? I cannot remember if you ever told me, and I just thought of it now, looking at the altar." It was not that Xelhes really cared, just that he was curious. The Symenestra had already told Xelhes some about Viritas and linking it with the Symenestra culture, but knowing more about the God could not hurt.

Last edited by Xelhes on February 18th, 2012, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xelhes
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Veldrys on February 10th, 2012, 2:20 pm

As he stood there and looked at the Ethaefal, Veldrys noticed that Xelhes was unhappy, but he couldn’t figure out why exactly. To him the shared memories didn’t feel overly personal. As somebody who served the gods he had already heard and seen many deeply personal things. „Is anything wrong?“ he asked, wondering if maybe the other man was still slightly sick. Xelhes and he had barely been able to stand when he had used his gnosis.

„Let us go then“, he decided as Xelhes agreed to take a look at his herbs. „I’m not sure if I‘ve ever showed you where I live. Some of my memories of that night are a little blurred.“ He looked a little embarrassed as he said that. He didn’t remember walking home after the incident. Had Xelhes carried him? How exactly had he gotten from the Chapel into his bed? Had he even helped Xelhes? The Ethaefal had been in a bad state as well.

„My home is close by so that I can visit the Chapel whenever I feel like it“, he continued. He was about to gesture for the Ethaefal to follow him when he heard his question. He turned around again and approached the altar once more, whispering a few quick words of prayer, as if he were looking at his god and not just something that looked like a piece of furniture.

„I make a sacrifice“, he replied. „I sacrifice my blood. Would you like to make a sacrifice or pray to him?“
Veldrys
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Xelhes on February 10th, 2012, 8:28 pm

Xelhes did not respond to Veldrys when he asked if anything was wrong with Ethaefal, pretending to ignore the question entirely. He did not want to talk about it more, not if he was the only one bothered by it. As time went by he would probably care less, but for now he still was unsure of having Veldrys' past memories mingled with his own. Was it really ok, and why did it feel so wrong? Thinking on it, Xelhes partially regretted even bringing the subject up. Veldrys did not seem affected by it at all, and due to how the Symenestra seem to view it in general, Xelhes seemed almost foolish for thinking they way he did, let alone for letting something like this get to him.

He nodded at Veldrys when the man said it was time to go, though smiled a little at his words afterwards. It seemed like Xelhes wasn't the only one who had foggy memories from that night, thought he was not surprised either. Both of them had been to sick to stand for a few minutes, and everything they had ate for the past day had been lost. It was the sickest Xelhes had ever felt and could ever remember feeling, and it was something he never wanted to relive. Taking a breath, he said, "Well, I have seen where you live, but getting there is lost to me. Apparently I had not spent as much time looking where I was going as just trying to keep myself and you a foot. I expected us to just sleep on the ground from exhaustion in the end, considering how much energy each step seemed to take. We eventually managed to make it to your home though, despite what seemed an immense walk."

Xelhes knew that the walk had really been very short, yet in that condition a few steps had been enough to make him want to quit. He had no idea how Veldrys must have felt, especially considering the fact that the man needed to use Xelhes as a post in order to simply walk. Even now though the memories of what Veldrys' home looked like were very few, as Xelhes had focused on simply getting Veldrys in the bed, asleep, and then left for his own bed. That was Xelhes main concern that night, that Veldrys got to his bed and was fine, and then that Xelhes himself got back to his own bed.

The Ethaefal watched as Veldrys turned to the altar and said a prayer, too quiet to be heard. Hearing the Symenestra ask if he wanted to make a sacrifice caused Xelhes to instinctively put his hands behind his back, as if hiding them from view. He was still not too comfortable with the idea of cutting himself, or even having someone else cut him. If he had a way to heal his wounds he would have been fine, but he had no magic that could do so. Shaking his head and moving to stand beside Veldrys at the altar; looking at it with a smile, he said, "No, I do not think a sacrifice today would be a good idea. However, a prayer is something I could offer. So...how do I pray to Viratas? Also...what kind of prayers does he listen too?"

Last edited by Xelhes on February 18th, 2012, 2:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Xelhes
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Veldrys on February 12th, 2012, 12:07 pm

As Xelhes hid his hands behind his back, Veldrys arched an eyebrow questioningly, and then he shook his head incredulously. In his opinion the Ethaefal’s behaviour was rather childish. Did the thought of honoring a god really make him that uncomfortable? Did he have such a low opinion of him that he had to hide his hands from his view? Veldrys was not one of those people that forced others to share their faith!

„Don’t worry“, he said to Xelhes. His voice was calm and betrayed nothing of his thoughts. „I won’t force you to cut yourself and sacrifice your blood to Viratas if you don’t want to. I won’t grab your hand and cut you myself either. You can stop hiding your hands. You are safe from me. I merely asked you whether you were interested. I had no idea that the thought of hurting yourself still bothered you that much.“

„If you want to pray to him …“ he continued. There was a light smile on his face now. A sacrifice had the greatest effect in his opinion, but prayers were necessary as well. He was glad that Xelhes was at least interested in that. „Simply stand in front of the altar or kneel. Talk to him. Viratas isn’t only the god of blood, he is also the god of community, of that which connects us all. I often recite passages from the Viratassa, but in the end it’s up to you. Viratas appreciates all kinds of prayers.“
Veldrys
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Xelhes on February 12th, 2012, 1:39 pm

Hearing Veldrys' words caused the Ethaefal to relax again, his body becoming less tense and his hands returning to his sides. He felt foolish for doing it, but still it was not something Xelhes blamed himself for; he was young and despite the age of his body, along with the memories it had, he was still prone to acting his genuine age. Looking up at the Symenestra, a sheepish and obviously embarrassed look covered Xelhes' face, a look of a nonverbal apology just as prominent as well. Before, Xelhes had spoken of his view on saying sorry yet at this time the Ethaefal felt it best to say nothing, knowing that an apology irritated Veldrys more than it did him good.

The embarrassment still on his face, Xelhes said, "I know, I still haven't become more comfortable with the idea since the last time we met, despite your words; it is upsetting, but it will probably be a good while before I can come to terms with such a thing. It's moments like these that I realize I really do act my age more than I want to." A sigh escaped the Ethaefal when he finished, shaking his head before looking back at Veldrys, another embarrassed look on his face though for a different reason. It was now that Xelhes also realised that the Symenestra was probably the only one who had seen him act so immature, and how Veldrys had no idea how old Xelhes truly was. As far as memory served, Xelhes remembered almost side stepping the question when it had almost came about, worried that Veldrys' opinion of him would change when he found out; it still did worry him.

Approaching the altar, Xelhes listened to Veldrys' words quietly, thinking to himself. The last time he had prayed had been the correct way...sort of. While Xelhes had spoken his prayers, he had not directed them to anyone. Instead they were for anyone who was willing to listen or help, whoever they may be. This time however the Ethaefal was unsure of what to say, as he felt using the same prayer again would simply be lazy. Thinking on the Symenestra's words and the Viratassa, the Ethaefal took a breath before clearing his mind and saying, in almost a whisper, "Spilt blood cries out to me; it speaks of life, and death. It sings of sins, and blessing. Every drop is precious, but not all cries are pure."

Exhaling just as quietly, Xelhes turned back to Veldrys with an unsure look. In the moment he had decided to copy Veldrys' method of prayer, using the small passage he knew from the Viratassa, though he found the ending of his prayer to sound a little off and the phrasing in general to be different. "I am not sure if that was appropriate, but that is the only passage from the Viratassa that I recall. Maybe some time you could read me more from it, or teach me how to read it myself. I still have to answer those questions you have about Ethaefal as well..." That night Xelhes was suppose to answer the questions Veldrys had about the Ethaefal in general had not gone as planned, the spontaneous sickness from the gnosis preventing most questions from being asked. Guilt partially filled Xelhes' thoughts as he remembered this, unhappy that he had learned so much about the Symenestra from Veldrys but had not returned the favor to the man. He would at some point, Xelhes just did not know when.

Last edited by Xelhes on February 18th, 2012, 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xelhes
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Veldrys on February 14th, 2012, 5:54 pm

„It is probably a little upsetting for somebody that is not familiar with Viratas“, Veldrys grudgingly agreed. „It would be great if you eventually came to terms with it, but if you won’t, I will accept it. That you are faithful to the gods and honor them is more important than your willingless to participate in this ritual. As for your age …“ He stopped speaking and furrowed his brow. What did Xelhes mean? How young was he? When had he fallen? He looked like a man of about his own age, and because of that Veldrys tended to treat him as such. He remembered the conversations with Sitkanis and Lysander. Was Xelhes like them? Still new to this world, still ignorant about a lot of things?

„… forgive me. I need to remind myself that an Ethaefal’s body doesn’t always reflect his age correctly.“ Veldrys likewise looked a little embarrassed. If he had been facing a little boy, would he have asked him to sacrifice his blood? How was he supposed to treat Xelhes? Like the man he appeared to be or like some kind of little brother? Maybe it would be best to continue just as before until Xelhes told him that he wanted to be treated differently.

Having made that decision, he turned to watch the Ethaefal as he approached the altar. As Xelhes recited the passage from the Viratassa, he nodded approvingly. It was not very original, but it was acceptable. „It was good“, he said. „I can certainly teach you more. I could even teach you a little Symenos so that you can read the Viratassa yourself. I’ve taught others before …“ His thoughts briefly went to that halfblood boy who had been so curious about his culture, and he smiled a little.

„And I would appreciate if you could teach me more about your people. There are still so many things I don’t know. Would you like to stay here or go to my home as we had initially planned?“
Veldrys
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Next