New Ape In Town(Closed)

Zygaud enters his first city.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

New Ape In Town(Closed)

Postby Zygaud on January 8th, 2012, 4:31 pm

23rd of Winter, 511 AV

'Cold, cold, cold.' Was all that Zygaud could think as he trudged through the frigid streets of Avanthal, his gargantuan shape barely covered by the massive black cloak he kept draped over himself. Zygaud had come to Avanthal just shortly before the Winter began, a big mistake. He had been traveling for what seemed like ages, and was surprised that he had managed to survive this long. If it weren't for his thick fur and cloak, he'd likely have died due to loss of heat long ago. 'At least it's nice to look at' he thought as he took in all the new sights, such a large and populated place was very new to him. In the 28 years since he had begun his travels, he had mostly kept away from settlements any larger than tiny villages.

Turning a corner, he took note of a rather comfortable looking spot on the side of a rather plain-looking building. Taking a seat, he folded his sturdy traveling staff across his lap and took in a deep breath of the chilly Avanthal air. Watching the inhabitants of the city pass by interested him, they each seemed to be in such a hurry, as though every second were their last. "I guess you've got to be quick when you don't live as long as we do... poor things" he said to himself in the Common tongue, his voice low and rumbling. He shrugged mentally, leaning against the wall behind him to rest and clear his mind.
Last edited by Zygaud on January 13th, 2012, 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denial is the road to self destruction.
Zygaud
Magic Monkey

Words: 21437
Joined roleplay: January 7th, 2012, 7:55 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

New Fuzzball In Town(Open)

Postby Oluse on January 8th, 2012, 7:35 pm

Bundled to the teeth in his thick lightly coloured leathers, Oluse trudged with little purpose through the snowy paths of Avanthal. The weather had lifted into only a light sprinkling of snow, and bright grey skies an hour before. To this he decided that it was a good day for a leisurely stroll. Of course, for Oluse, leisure was always a relative term, he wanted to go study the ice sculptures more closely, see how they were crafted. He figured that between observation, and maybe checking the library for any reference material he may eventually be able to start crafting his own statues!

Fantasies of masterful works rolling around excitedly in his mind he sped around corner, head up, but eyes distant. That is, until a very large, very dark blotch of fur an cloth moved across his vision. His voice went to scream, eyes going wide, but he suppressed it, staring rudely at the giant creature before him. Never had he seen such an abomination. He wondered who to tell, there was a giant animal in the city! He knew the White Elk Stables were near by, but this was ridiculous!

He decided to keep calm, the animal, though imposing, seemed to be at ease, and getting worked up wouldn't help anybody. Standing at five foot one inch in height Oluse calmly put out a hand, angles severely up toward the apes face, and slouched slightly to make himself seem less imposing. What a wonderful time to practice some animal husbandry!

"Hey there, Buddy." He said softly, his eyes half closed to help asensuate the calmness,"Where did you come from? Don't look like you're from around here, did you lose your master?" He paused, looking at the creature, trying to decide if it was safe to approach or not. He was intrigued, they had nothing like this where he came from, in fact the creature looked almost like a man... and it had a stick... and a cloak. His hand dropped about three inches and he finally started taking in the full scope of the oddity before him.

What is going on? He asked himself silently.
Last edited by Oluse on January 8th, 2012, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oluse
Player

Words: 295106
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 1:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

New Ape In Town(Open)

Postby Zygaud on January 8th, 2012, 7:52 pm

Opening his emerald optics, Zygaud tilted his face upward to observe the small human that stood before him. The tiny thing seemed terrified as it reached a hand toward his face and began to speak. Emitting a deep chuckle he was obviously amused by the assumption that he was someone's pet. "Salutations, little one. I am called Zygaud, not Buddy. I have no master. I am a perfectly civilized and sentient being, much like yourself." He explained calmly in his impossibly deep voice, each word carefully deliberated so as not to scare away the first human to approach him without obvious ill-intent in the city of Avanthal.

Reaching out to place a massive hand upon the wall he previously leaned against, Zygaud stood up to his full height of 8'9" and stretched out in a leisurely manner. He turned his attentions once more to the little human, attempting a friendly smile which more likely appeared to be a horrifying beast baring its deadly array of long and vicious teeth. With surprising swiftness he took the still-outstretched hand of the little human within his own as gently as possible and gave it a polite shake. "I have given you my name, will you not do me the same honor?" He asked politely, his eyes sparkling with amusement.
Last edited by Zygaud on January 8th, 2012, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zygaud
Magic Monkey

Character sheet

Postby Oluse on January 8th, 2012, 8:03 pm

As the beast spoke Oluses mouth fell open, eyes losing their condescending expression, it being replaced with awe and shock. That shock being replaced by fear as the beast rose, almost amounting to twice Oluse's height!

He did not withdraw his hand as the Jamoura took it, and moved it up in down. In fact, something about the actions sparked something in him. His father always told him introductions were the judge of a man's character. He didn't know why he wasn't more off put by introducing himself to the true giant before him, but there was an intelligence in those green eyes, that Oluse responded to.

He hand gripped firmly to the apes leathery hand and he spoke. "Oluse Fortis. I hail from Denval." For which his accent was proof enough for. Thick with the ebb and glow of the ancient sounding Denvali accent, his attempts at sounding normal were in vein. It was, however, obvious that he was attempting a normal common accent.

He then withdrew his hand, still looking the man-ape in the eyes. He decided an apology was perhaps in order. But where to start... "I'm sorry. I didn't know you were um. I thought maybe you were. What are you?" He finished by asking what was truly on his mind, losing track of what he had set out to say.
Last edited by Oluse on January 8th, 2012, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oluse
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1)

New Ape In Town(Open)

Postby Zygaud on January 8th, 2012, 8:22 pm

Zygaud brought his hand to his chin after Oluse removed it from his grasp, allowing a contemplative sigh to escape him as he searched through his memory. Finally, after a long moment, he nodded his head in acknowledgement of the aforementioned settlement. "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Oluse Fortis. I believe I have heard of this Denval... my father once traveled the world as I do now, and he has been there." He replied politely.

Scratching the side of his head, Zygaud then thought about the question presented to him. He was fond of contemplating things in detail before doing anything about them, likely due to his knowledge that there were rocks that would be gone before he died.

"Right, well. I'm sure you thought I was a pet of some sort. Not surprising, really. In the past, your kind would occasionally take mine as pets... before we were reborn. Anyway, I am a Jamoura. I come from a small settlement outside of The Spires." Zygaud answered carefully, not fully acquainted with speaking continuously in the Common tongue. As he spoke, Zygaud's eyes became somewhat glassy, recalling his home that he had been away from for 28 years already.

Shrugging away his nostalgia, Zygaud turned his gaze from the young human to survey their immediate surroundings. A few passersby had noticed their conversation, and some appeared to be astounded to see a massive talking ape. He had done well in going unnoticed thus far, but that no longer seemed to be the case. As long as he was in no danger, he wouldn't bother worrying about it.

He turned his attentions once more to Oluse, cautiously questioning, "You're a ways from home, if I recall my geographical lessons properly. What brings a young one such as yourself to a frigid land such as this?"
Last edited by Zygaud on January 8th, 2012, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zygaud
Magic Monkey

Character sheet

Postby Oluse on January 8th, 2012, 8:41 pm

Oluse smiled. He thought that perhaps he was beginning to finally understand somebody in this city. It seemed absurd to him that this somebody was a giant talking ape, but at least it was something. The format of the conversation was simple. He asked a question, Zygaud would answer then ask his own. Rinse and repeat. Simple, straight forward, no hidden agendas. He liked this.

"I wanted to travel, and study medicine. Avanthal was one of my first stops around the world. I only planned to stay for a season, but I've been getting such great training here I postponed." This of course, as most words were, was only a partial truth. What he didn't mention was he fear of traveling again, a fear that he wasn't sure he could get over before Spring.

And then it was his time for a question. "I'm sorry that humans enslaved your people. And I'm glad you were reborn, though I'm not sure what that means?" He raised an eyebrow, hoping that the 'question' wasn't too person.

He shifted a little in the snow, just moving to another leg, and took a moment to shake the snow that was collection along the rim of his hood away. He wondered if the creature slept outside or if he had a place to stay, he wondered if he knew about the White Elk Stables. They had stabled big enough for elephants, he could fit well enough.
Last edited by Oluse on January 8th, 2012, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oluse
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1)

New Ape In Town(Open)

Postby Zygaud on January 8th, 2012, 9:10 pm

Zygaud nodded slowly as he was prone to do when being on the listening end of a chat. He was quite rusty when it came to active conversation, having been away from his people for over 20 years and rarely coming into contact with anything friendly since that time. Lifting his 8' traveling staff over his shoulder, he hooked his large and muscular arms around each side of it and pulled down across his shoulders, causing his shoulder joints to release a soft pop and himself to release a pleased grunt as the tension was relieved from them.

"I'm also on a quest for knowledge. Though mine is mostly related to... well, I'm not sure I should say. Many are fearful of the subject." He managed to catch himself before mentioning the subject of magic. Among his own family and the majority of Jamoura he'd known, it was accepted as a part of life. Though, in his experience his blood brothers were about as open-minded as one can be when it came to just about anything that many cultures would consider to be frightening or taboo. But he knew well enough that there were a lot of humans who might even lash out at him for being a Mage.

Waving his free-hand to dismiss the previous subject, he began to explain the subject of Jamourian rebirth in his low, bellowing voice. "It would take ages to explain to you fully, so I'll get down to the essentials of what I meant by 'reborn'... a long time ago, my kind were pretty much just your average apes. Then, a gift from Lady Caiyha herself blessed us with a transformation. We grew much larger, and much more intelligent. We were given long lives... and I mean long. The entirety of your life will go by and I'll still be young. No offense intended, of course... if you took any. That's about how it went."

Turning his gaze back to his immediate area, Zygaud noticed that yet more people had come to gawk at him. He generally didn't mind being seen as something of an oddity, but it just seemed rude to stand there and stare while he was trying to have a proper conversation. "You know, it seems that we're drawing a bit more attention than I'm comfortable with. Would you happen to know of a more appropriate area for us to trade knowledge? I could take you to the roof I've been sleeping on... but it's probably covered in many feet of snow at the moment. Takes awhile for me to dig a good enough sized area to sleep in."
Zygaud
Magic Monkey

Character sheet

New Ape In Town(Open)

Postby Oluse on January 8th, 2012, 9:32 pm

The story enthralled the young man. An ape people blessed by a goddess to free them from their retarded existence. The world truly was a wonder inspiring place. He wanted to keep asking about this rebirth, but the comment on the crowd expanded his awareness, and he too suddenly felt self conscious about the eyes watching them.

"Yeah, I know a place. You've probably already seen it. The Sculpture Yard." He just assumed the ape had been in Avanthal since winter began at least, probably staying holed up. He made a mental note to suggest the stables to the monkey man before their interaction was done.

With another smile he nodded in the direction of the gardens, a smile on his face as the thin crowd displaced as he walked toward them. He wasn't used to that. He did feel a little awkward walking with the ape. If anything he would explain the awkward sensation as guilt, for attracting so much attention. He didn't mean to use the beast as some spectacle, or lead him around like a pet. At that thought he made sure to pull back, to the side of his new acquaintance, so they were shoulder to shoulder... well shoulder to elbow, so it didn't seem as he was leading him like some display animal through the city.

"So," he picked up the conversation again as they slowly moved toward the gardens. "You really sleep on a roof? Isn't it cold?" He craned his neck back, looking up at the beast, a friendly smile still upon his face, despite the pressure of many Vantha eyes upon them.
Oluse
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1)

New Ape In Town(Open)

Postby Zygaud on January 8th, 2012, 9:51 pm

Zygaud trailed alongside Oluse with leisurely steps, his long appendages easily covering the distance in one or two steps that the legs of the smaller human made in four or five. "Ah, well, I've seen it... I've admired some of the art but where I'm from we have much more beautiful sculptures, made from living things such as plants. They take quite a long time to properly shape, but they're breathtaking to behold. That's my opinion, at least." He intoned casually, not in the least worrying about what those around them were thinking.

With each step he took, Zygaud placed his walking staff upon the ground with an audible 'tack'. He had grown to love the sound that his father's old stick made, it was an intoxicating rhythm that reminded him of his childhood and his home. Thoughts of his home led him to think of food, and he realized that he hadn't eaten in quite some time. He put the thought aside for the moment, it would be impolite to eat whilst in the company of a relative stranger. Caution when in the presence of strangers was likely the reason he hadn't yet died in his travels.

He snapped himself out of his thoughts, scolding himself for getting caught up in a lengthy ponder when he had yet to reply to the question most recently asked by Oluse. "Oh yes, it's terribly cold. To tell you the truth, I didn't know that I'd be stuck here when I arrived... I tend to avoid people, because I fear for my life. So I've mainly just been keeping to myself and trying to survive this harsh winter. It's not fun, but it's only the blink of an eye compared to the hundreds of years ahead of me." He explained in his usual polite and deliberate manner. He was beginning to like this human. 'It's been far too long since I've had the chance to properly converse...' He thought.
Zygaud
Magic Monkey

Character sheet

New Ape In Town(Open)

Postby Oluse on January 9th, 2012, 3:03 am

Oluses feet slipped up underneath him, almost leaving him as a fallen mess in the snow. Did he say hundreds of years? Hundreds?!

"I'm sorry, Sir." He said politely, curiosity rife in his voice, bubbling excitedly up from his gut in a breathy undertone. "How long do you people live?" He looked at the gargantuan person beside him. He wanted to stop and stare for hours, but restricted himself to frequent short glances.

"Oh, and," The excitement stealing away his last shred of patience he took to asking two questions at a time. "What do your people call themselves? I should call you by your actual name to be polite." He decided and exploration was in order, after all he was changing the rules of the conversation by asking to questions.

And, he figured if he slipped one more question in, he may as well give a comment too, no harm in it! Speaking a little faster now he continued to mutter, "Oh, and have you looked into staying at the stabled, they take very good care of the animals here. Not that you're an animal. I mean we are all animals, you're just a really big one. So you know, you would fit in a barn. Well stable. But not in a-" He decided after a few moments to take a breath, and give up his apology, hoping the creature would get his point, for he certainly didn't want to anger it.

Slow he picked up on his thought again. "All I mean is that they may have a place that is warm and big enough for you. And as long as the other animals don't mind then I'm sure the Vantha owners would be glad to have you. The Vantha are a very kinda and accepting people. Just don't complain too much about Morwen when you are cold, that get a bit sensitive about that..." He noticed himself with his mouth open and his tongue wiggling again, so he stayed his tongue, and closed his mouth. With his new sound silence he gave a meek smile of apology to the creature beside him, and gave him a look at clearly said he was done talking for the moment.
Oluse
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1)

Next