Barroom Blitz (Open)

I see a man in the back, as a matter of fact

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

Barroom Blitz (Open)

Postby Jett Variona on January 10th, 2012, 3:04 am

40th of Winter 511 AV

In all of the Western quarter, in all of Nyka even, no one was a better drinker than the Xannos monk Jett Variona. And he was willing to back up the claim, with either a mug of ale or a fist that had seen many an unfortunate face.

And so it was that he was haunted his favorite hovel once again, enjoying what must have been his fifth mug of wheat beer. Luckily it was paid for by the generous coin of a certain thief, who was probably nursing a broken hand, a broken rib, a broken jaw, and a broken will to steal. Crime, for good reason, was somewhat rare in Nyka, but when it did happen no one could complain if Jett helped himself to what was more than likely stolen coin. In fact, the man had had more than just Mizas. He also had possessed the currency of Nyka, the Laat, which he had tried to bride him with. That was the man's mistake that lead to his beating. Jett may be a violent drunk, but he was still a monk and took his duty seriously. He realized that the thought had rhymed, and that made him chuckle drunkenly into his beer.

Jett stared sullenly out among the crowd of the night. The place was never very busy, being merely one of the various unnamed bars scattered around Nyka, but tonight it was almost packed. And yet everyone was making their own merriment in their own little groups. That wasn't right. In a place like this, on a night like this, everyone should be singing. Dancing on the tables, clapping each other on the back. That kind of stuff. No one even noticed the lone monk in the corner of the room, drinking ale by himself. That had to change especially. Jett often liked being the center of attention while intoxicated.

If anyone knew that about Jett, then it would come as a surprise to no one that the monk proceeded to take up his dirty robes and step up on top of the table. Clearing his voice, the barroom went quiet as he began to sing a hearty jig.

"Oh there's a gem in Sylira
This, oh yes, I know
A gem that shines with hope's delight
This, oh yes, I know
And this gem its name is loving Nyka!
This, oh yes, I know!"

Many turned and stared, but there were some that knew Jett and knew his love for ruckus. Some of them even stood up, waving their mugs in unison, for this was a popular song within Nyka for its upbeat tune, but more so for the fact that after every chorus a single person will raise their voice above the others with a verse they had made up on the spot, and then the whole bar laughs and drinks. As the song caught on, more and more people joined in and soon the entire tavern was roaring with laughter and song. A much better time than it was a second ago, Jett thought as he began singing his own verse after the chorus finished.

"Well my friends
I'm Xannos's finest
This, oh yes, I know!
And if anyone cares
To try and harm your hairs
I'll get them with one blow!"
Last edited by Jett Variona on February 19th, 2012, 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jett Variona
Just waiting for the hammer to fall

Words: 31915
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2011, 5:54 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Barroom Blitz (Open)

Postby Ezra Crenshaw on February 10th, 2012, 12:25 am

As the elderly fellow edged his way into the tightly packed bar, he could clearly make out the booming voice from the monk of Xannos encouraging patrons to join in with the jovial tune. Several gawkers stood up in their seat swirling their mugs in the air, taking a drink at every chorus and laughing at every verse. It was one of Ezra’s favorite songs.

The entire bar stank of wheat beer and body odor. In part thanks to the abundance of Quarry workers who, after a long days sweat, paid the place a pit stop on their way back home. Bar stools lay on their side like an eager enthusiast who had too much to drink. Squat wooden tables were shoved in disarray, lined with beer mugs and snoring customers. And a steady jingle jingle of a chandelier overhead kept the beat, rocking with each shift from the choir of drunks.

Ezra scooped up a glass from groggy workers table, certain the laggard was down for the count and joined in the singing. The chorus was easy enough to follow along with but his voice croaked a bit as he warmed up. It had been ages since he last sung the words.

The bandaged man hoisted his mug up when he caught his friend’s eye. Jett seemed to flash a relieved smile and when the time came for the next verse to be sung he gestured to the old coot. Ezra was ready :

"Here stands an old chap
Scarred by Skerr’s snap
This, oh yes, I know
Come with stories to trade
For a maiden I laid
Though old, I’ve still oats to sow"

To punctuate the last line Ezra nudged a nearby worker with his elbow, the burly man slouched in a haze then crumpled to the floor. A look of anger spread across his face as he abruptly came to, that filtered to embarrassment as the others laughed and jeered. Then the vaunted ceilings filled with the voices joining Ezra as he sang the chorus :

"Oh there's a gem in Sylira
This, oh yes, I know
A gem that shines with hope's delight
This, oh yes, I know
And this gem its name is loving Nyka!
This, oh yes, I know!"

The gathered men may or may not have laughed at the crass words in his verse but they let him through to the monk, just the same. He tilted back his mug as he walked, draining the thing dry and belting out a loud belch. Ezra wiped the frothy remnants of a mustache from his lips with the back end of a gauzed wrist, then slapped the cup down at the counter nearest Jett.

“Nice t’be seein’ a familiar face,” Ezra remarked with a nod, “Would a’come soon as you please but the palace had me wait on a’week for th’ stamper. Got a lot o’makin’ up to do, friend. An’ a mug might not be for fixin’!”

The monk of Xannos had performed his part in Ezra's return from exile amicably, and he wanted to pay back his friend in kind. But it wasn't yet the time for catching up on sordid affairs. The night was still young, so he said not a word, eager instead just to pass the time in jubilant song.

OOCCan we time stamp this for the night of the 40th of winter? Ez wasn't in town until the 32nd, and was otherwise engaged until the 40th waiting in the palace of supplicants!
Ezra Crenshaw
The Man of Many Scars

Words: 52411
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2012, 6:00 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Barroom Blitz (Open)

Postby Liar on February 19th, 2012, 7:58 am

EXPERIENCE AWARD

Jett

Skill Points