[Lab 45E] Mysterious Ways [Rayage]

In which Rayage receives a present.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An undead citadel created before the cataclysm, Sahova is devoted to all kinds of magical research. The living may visit the island, if they are willing to obey its rules. [Lore]

Postby Tabarnac on March 14th, 2012, 4:31 am

Akridius observed Rayage with those strange, jewel eyes, the light in them pulsing regularly, thoughtfully. His explanation was vague. Of course, how could it not be? Everyone knew what the Valterrian was; there was little need for a concise explanation of the divine drama as it picked up mortals in its current, changed the face of the world. But it digested what it could, made whatever decisions as to its own future that it could. The piece of parchment was observed as coolly as the pronouncement of holocaust.

"Master Pycon is dead." He did not seem to have decided whether he believed it or not; it was an outlandish claim, but he had no proof one way or another. "I require more information." But, cannily, he knew that he was not going to get out of here without some limited cooperation on his part.

"What do you require of Akridius?"
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Words: 346698
Joined roleplay: May 26th, 2010, 3:06 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Advocate (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Rayage on March 15th, 2012, 8:29 pm

Ray shook his head as it to confirm the words coming from the golems mouth when it uttered ‘Master Pycon is dead’. The strange stare off between the two seemed to end right then and there. This golem was getting more interesting every moment. He wondered if Pycon could have manufactured such a thing by himself or that it was some elaborate gift from some warped minded magician. Whatever the case was and the past histories that led up to this moment the fact of the matter was the golem was here now and that, for the moment, was all that mattered.

Ray began thinking as soon as the golem spoke its second line. The golem required more information, ha, didn’t we all? Knowledge is power after all, and information is valuable no matter from what source. Even false leads, if used creatively and looked at with an open mind, could bring the user of them something valuable. An insight for future reference. Yes, it was all coming together now. More information…

The nuit continued to look at the golem who was the product of many disciplines so seamlessly combined together, or was it so? Everything had the possibility of being false, and yet everything had the possibility of being true. Even false things sometimes had a hint of truth, and so does that make it false or true or perhaps its somewhere in between skewed by perception? This golem reeked of change and Ray like that. It made him almost shiver with excitement.

”You require more information, I require more information.” the nuit began, ”How about we trade?” he asked, ”You tell me your information, all you can remember, and I will lead you personally to the shavoan library where you can find all the information you could ever want?” he asked, ”Ill also help you look for the information you seek.” he added that bit in, ”So, Aut-“ he stopped himself from saying ‘automation’, ”Akridius, what do you say? Fair is fair.” he said clasping his hands together, holding them in front of him. He was quite interested to see if the golem knew anything about its own creation, or perhaps something valuable about Pycon. This could be an excellent chance to worm out some facts.
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Words: 980399
Joined roleplay: February 5th, 2011, 9:40 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1) Lore Author (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Tabarnac on May 20th, 2012, 3:28 am

"Memory storage... is garbled. I will share some information for some information." This one held secrets and held to them tightly; Rayage did not have clearance for a great deal of what was in Akridius' memory. Rupert Pycon might claw his way back into this life to destroy him if he spilled the beans, so to speak.

Those red gem eyes flickered with reflected light and glowed too with an inner fire, gauging this dead man walking. Perhaps it thought it could take him and escape, perhaps it thought it could manipulate him. Marble lips were tight.

"Ask specific questions, please."
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Rayage on May 26th, 2012, 8:05 pm

”Your memory must be really garbled.” he commented, not impressed by the response, ”As I recall, I asked specific questions earlier.” he said crossing his arms staring at the golem. This contraption was hiding something, but he guessed that he would play the golems game, ”Did Rupert Pycon create you?” he asked, ”What is the purpose of your creation?” he asked his second question which was just a rephrased version of the questions he asked before. Then again, to trade information for information was what the nuit offered. This was going to be good.

”Well then,” he said turning to the door of his lab, ”While you contemplate answering or not, shall we make our way to the library?”
“Method is more important than strength, when you wish to control your enemies. By dropping golden beads near a snake, a crow once managed to have a passer-by kill the snake for the beads.” ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Tabarnac on June 16th, 2012, 10:16 pm

The jeweled eyes burned at him, not amused or, perhaps, unable to be amused. Insults, veiled or otherwise, would get him nowhere with this creature, this Akridius. But it began to answer all the same, storing up questions it might ask of Rayage in due time per the terms of their agreement, though it was hardly written in the Ukalas or signed in blood.

"Rupert Pycon created this body," he corrected. "I was created as a study for future creations, and as a punishment for being his enemy. I was created to be a servant, as are all automata, but I kept my soul, so I was instead a slave."

Akridius had repeatedly forgotten questions put to him, then answered others that might well have been rhetorical. Chaotic, random responses probably did denote some malfunctioning within him, but his thoracic gem pulsed almost like a heart; he had power enough to live. That much was certain. He managed to get to his feet. Rayage could observe as he moved that he was a patchwork of experiments. His joints were articulated as should be a sophisticated golem's, but the stone of his skin gave somewhat as if it had been alchemized to more closely resemble living skin. The garment he wore, too, gave and moved, like liquid marble, moving as if he were underwater. That too might have been animated.

Any Sahovan mage would likely give a great deal to study this creature, purportedly created by the legendary Rupert Pycon, damaged or otherwise.

Once he had his feet, his fine motor control seemed to have come back somewhat. He glanced at Rayage then.

"Does Zeltiva still exist?" he asked with urgency. And then he began to walk toward the door and, presumably, the library of which Rayage spoke.
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Rayage on July 1st, 2012, 8:55 pm

Rupert Pycon made the body? The nuits mindset would change, it seemed that the automata believes that he actually has a soul. A soul… A soul instead of the created ones in animation. Pycon put a real soul into the creation, what else could be accomplished with animation? Or so he presumed that it was animation which created this being before him, both inhuman and not quite an automata if it is made how he said he was. It still has to be a copy, right? Perhaps… yes, perhaps Pycon made the body but another did the animation? That could be it, then again Pycon was amazing. Legendary even.

Though some questions were not answered with the clarity of others, the inconsistency irritated him, but he had to remind himself this artifact was lucky to have survived the valterrian. Yes, it was built to extreme perfection to have survived in such a condition; mind warped by the wild djed that ravished the land. Perhaps the condition could be also its storage. He began to wonder where one would store such a thing and how to ensure, over the ages, nothing really messed with its magical structure.

His inner ponderings were silenced as the thing started to move again. The pulsing of the inlayed gen caught his eye. That had to be the key to all of it. The gem had a magical power, an energy all its own. It seemed to pulse and drive the automata. Could it be possible that the soul, and everything else which might be stored in the automata, be inside that gem? Perhaps the gem could be inlayed into another body and the golem would be given a new form. In fact, remembering back to the mines he explored at the suggestion of Antar he had found such a being, something with a jewel embedded into it just as this one had been. In fact, he even had the remnants of what was left of it after years of wear and tear. He wondered if they were connected somehow? OOCSee Alchemic Charger Remnant in CS if interested

The rest of the body was masterfully made, the fabric the automata wore rippled unlike any earthly material that he had encountered so far, that too was probably transmutated by the power of Alchemy. Everything about it was magical. Was there no unmagical material on this thing? It just shone with power and purpose. The Alchemist was almost at awe in it, even if its movements were a bit clanky. He was sure this being was a treasure to cherish, and for some reason it was given to him. Why? He never asked for it, but sometimes it is the gifts which are not asked for, but just received, that are the best the nuit quickly reminded himself. Now he has a chance to not only study this creature, but also interact and even aid it. How many Sahovan wizards are jealous of him right now? How many of them know? Quickly deciding that it was best to keep this Akridius a secret. Yes it would be best for his own safety and the sake of the automata, well, more so for his own curiosity and ambitions.

Once it had returned to his feet Ray noticed a change in how it moved. Akridius seemed to have better control over his own movements now. Interesting.

”Yes, Zeltiva still exists.” the nuit answered to the best of his knowledge, ”But what does Zeltiva have to do with anything?” he asked following the animation to the door, opening it for him, and gesturing for him to follow, that Ray will lead the way to the library. Akridius sure asked strange questions.

Image Image Image
Rayage
Sahova All-Star

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Tabarnac on July 21st, 2012, 4:37 am

"What indeed?" it mused quietly, growing ever more comfortable with movement again after however long. "The answers you seek lie there, if you are worthy of them."

Akridius fell silent then as if unsure whether he had spoken too much. He was trying to juggle several questions of logic: whether he belonged to this Nuit or he was free upon the death of Rupert Pycon; whether he ought share what he knew or keep terrible things to himself; whether or not he wanted to cooperate at all. His gem-eyes scanned the halls as they walked, walking beside the Nuit, but following his lead at the same time, from workshop to library.

"Sahova," he murmured. "Still in Alahea, though Alahea is no more. Does..." His voice rose. "Does Zarik Mashaen still rule in Sahova? There was a Grand Oath, but if Alahea is no more..."

If only there were a proper terminal for interface with the Supervisor, he could learn all he needed to know in the space of a few heartbeats; assimilation of that information might take longer, but it would be within him, slowly percolating into his consciousness. He was a man out of time, an experiment who thought he was real. He was real, wasn't he?

Finally he made a decision, stopped and turned toward the Nuit.

"I am going to Zeltiva. If you can find me there, I will help you. But I cannot act in good conscience with insufficient information."

Before Rayage could react, the gem in Akridius' chest went from a its normal dark phase to incandescence in the space of a mere instant, and when Rayage could see again, Akridius was gone.

Gone to Zeltiva, or so he said.

...to be continued...
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Tabarnac on July 25th, 2012, 7:10 am

Rayage

Experience
Skill XP Earned
Investigation 4 XP
Auristics 1 XP
Interrogation 5 XP
Negotiation 2 XP
Observation 5 XP
Teaching 2 XP
Leadership 2 XP
Lores
Lore Earned
Aura: Akridius
Memosites
Astral Coordinates: Swalden
Hint: Go to Zeltiva
Tabarnac is bad
at columns.
Like whoa.

Tabarnac says...

I hope this was fun for you despite my glacial pace! All in all, I think Rayage did pretty well with a nutjob like Akridius. My plan is to work on you know what and get it approved by you know who and then Rayage will get more pieces of the puzzle. Once that’s in place, I’ll get permission from Paragon to guest moderate for you in Zeltiva and the hunt can begin!

As ever, let me know if you disagree with my grading in any way. If you feel I missed something, XP or Lore, I’m happy to make adjustments for things I might have missed.

Dream deep!
Tabarnac
god of carnage

Office
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Previous