[Northern Quarter] Scratching the Blade : part 1 [Kassan]

An espionage mission goes awry as Kassan captures Ezra breaking curfew, will the devoted follower of Uphis show mercy or exact the wrath of his God?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

Postby Ezra Crenshaw on January 25th, 2012, 11:36 pm

The squealing call of the Greenwing’s overhead drew to a halt. Heavy, mangled wings beat against the moonlit skyline as the creatures fumbled atop each other. Their formation was broken and those that remained were confounded. For the first time since the encounter had started he felt flush with relief. The battle had added more stress than he could handle in a day and he was sure it wasn’t good for someone his age to be so overly exerted. Certainly not twice in the same day at least.

A downed Flyer lie on either side of Ezra, crawling pathetically after taking a mighty blow to their fragile bones from the broad side of the Benshira’s pick axe. The singeing sound of their Djed-laced saliva fizzled into the open air while their bodies decayed from sustaining internal injuries. It wasn’t just pity that filled Ezra as his eyes turned on the winged nightmares of his childhood. It was anger. They were deplorable beasts, something he had long assumed were make believe creatures told to scare him from the cliff’s edge as a boy. Ezra looked at them like he would a cockroach, wanting so badly to just squish them underfoot.

The monk of Uphis stood close to the old man. He had reacted to the incoming attack by recklessly risking his own safety to protect the winded elderly. And when the man swung the weapon, Ezra was sure he saw the monk’s eyes close. Was there something about these monsters that he did not want to see? The Benshira kept his stoic pose while the pickaxe in his seasoned grip slowly eroded away from contact with the creatures. With beads of sweat forming on his brow and weapon at the ready he kept trained eyes focused in an attempt to anticipate the next encounter.

But none came.

Instead, the night lit up as the three remaining fluorescent green orbs plunged through the air, disappearing back into the depths of the Aperture. Then all was quiet.

Ezra felt his breath expel in heavy bursts as he struggled again to a sitting position against the cobblestone road. A cautious hand brushed over the spot on his ankle that the Greenwing had grazed and sighed in relief, the damage had been minimal. Another slosh from his water skin and the injury was clean enough to be bandaged.

“They’ll be regroupin’, might even come with th’ full flock next,” Ezra said, rummaging around in his pack and flipping his rope sandals out from it. The streets further down filled with the noise of heavy feet slapping against the temple grounds, the other monks would surround them in seconds. “Your friends be on their way, an’ I’ve a’mind to be far gone when they arrive.”

Ezra stood, slipping his toes into the sandals at his feet and nodded his thanks to the lone monk. He cast a hazard glance north towards the temple in time to witness the flickering light from a sea of torches barreling down on top of them. He couldn’t wait for a response, it was time for him to go.

“Your lot’ll have more work ta’do soon. Them critters won’t sit still for long, plus you aught look for what riled ‘em up out’a season,” Ezra said, shuffling his pack over his shoulder. “Be seein’ ya ‘round soon. I’ll be off to th’ infirmary in the mornin’, might see me there for more than jus’ a patch job to boot. Pay it no mind, boy, I’ll be fit to split right quick, but come find me if you hear the name Odessi. I jus’ wanna see my girl again.”

And with that Ezra hobbled into the darkness across the bridge. He was cautious as he passed, anticipating the Greenwing’s retaliation to come sooner than hoped but they were long gone into the hole in the earth. For now.
Ezra Crenshaw
The Man of Many Scars

Words: 52411
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2012, 6:00 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Plotnotes

Postby Kassan on January 27th, 2012, 12:42 pm

Kassan breathed heavily, chest rising and falling with the exertion. The remnants of the Flyer flock rushed back into the Aperture, embracing the darkness. They would not hide for long however.

Thankfully, he had never faced those beasts in his initiation. But he began to ponder on which would be the greater evil, those, or his own past. The Aperture had thrown his memories at him like violent nightmares, and he had been forced to break those shackles to achieve his position.

"They probably have a nest in there somewhere. I'll tell the authorities, perhaps we can clean them out."

He mentioned his daughter, and Kassan bowed his head solemnly.

"I shall keep my ears open. Perhaps you can keep yours open for me too. If you hear of slaver caravans passing through, let me know."

The old man nodded and began to hobble away into the darkness. And hopefully home. This was what happened when you went out gallivanting after curfew.

Now, he thought. There was a pest problem to sort.

Kassan
Scion of Uphis

Words: 40201
Joined roleplay: November 28th, 2011, 1:03 pm
Race: Human, Benshira
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Liar on February 3rd, 2012, 9:39 pm

EXPERIENCE AWARD

Ezra Crenshaw

Skill Points
Medicine 2
Intelligence 1
Persuasion 1
Storytelling 1
Brawling 1

Lore
The Greenwing Rhyme
Cleaning a Wound
A Monk’s Cooperation
Neutralization of Greenwing Flyers
Looking for Kassan’s Slaver

Kassan

Skill Points
Persuasion 2
Negotiation 1
Glaive 1
Brawling 1

Lore
Nyka on Night Duty
The Greenwing Rhyme
A Civilian’s Honor
Deflecting Greenwing Flyers
Looking for Ezra’s Odessi

Notes

This was not only an entertaining encounter, but a creative take on the Greenwing Flyers! I gave you both brawling for rolling around and using makeshift weapons. The rest should be self-explanatory, but feel free to PM me with questions or concerns. Also, remember that all plural nouns, including proper nouns, shouldn’t include apostrophes. ;)
Liar
This statement is false.

Words: 175519
Joined roleplay: November 24th, 2011, 10:20 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Previous