[Flashback] The Way Of The Sword II/ii (Solo)

[The Academy] Another teacher comes in to substitute for Eri's original instructor who seemed to be uncontactable...

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Postby Eridanus on January 21st, 2012, 7:14 am

Arnold LugheimPermission to self-moderate NPC granted by Legion

Day 68, Spring of 503 AV
Midday
The Courtyard

Something most mysterious was happening. Eridanus had been left on his own without any notifications or updates regarding the timing of the next class, and everyday he trained hard to master the techniques he had been taught in preparation for Oliver Camlach, but everyday he asked the staff for any updates and was told nothing.

The Denvali himself could not be found anywhere, not in the Academy nor anywhere else in the town such as the usual places where he hung out. Earlier this morning a letter was delivered to his room when he was still sleeping, having spent most of the night before engaged in a prior activity. It requested for his presence a bell after lunch time, though it was not in the familiar handwriting that belonged to Master Camlach.

Regardless, as a student of the Academy he was not one to ignore its summons, and so he went through the standard procedures, washing himself to ensure that he was fresh and ready, mentally preparing himself for a serious download of information, drawing and signing out the iron-cored practice sword loaned to him from the armory clerk and of course the manual kept in the folds of his clothes in case he needed to refer to it.
Last edited by Eridanus on February 2nd, 2012, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Eridanus on January 21st, 2012, 9:30 am

A broad shouldered, sandy-haired middle-aged man was already waiting in the courtyard. The first thing Eridanus noticed was his huge palms and heavily muscled hairy arms. He had a no-nonsense looked similar to that of his unarmed combat teacher Master Jernwick, but it was more of a 'straight-to-the-point' kind of expression rather than the 'military boot camp instructor' feeling that Jernwick often portrayed.

"Vantha... student Eridanus, I suppose?" the Denvali called out, first noticing the mess of colors in Eri's hair and then the wild array of lights flashing in the student's eyes.

"Y-yes sir," the vantha replied, unsure of what to address the man, but as the Denvali was older than him (at least in looks, since he looked twenty-one despite being much older) it was better to be safe knowing how serious the Denvali were about protocol.

"Arnold Lugheim, I instruct a small selected group of senior students on proper integration of martial and magical arts. Oliver is my friend, and I'd figured that I'll do him this favor," the grizzled man continued.

"Master Lugheim, may I ask what's happening? Where is Master Camlach?" Eridanus asked, confused as to the incidents that seemed to be flowing around him that he could not understand.

"Oliver's expertise is... ah... required on a... certain issue. He left me a note saying that if he does not return in ten days, he wanted me to take over and ensure that his personal student's training curriculum would not be disrupted. He left a little summary below on what he wanted me to cover," Lugheim explained, though he stuttered and thought for a moment at certain parts of his explanation to ensure not to reveal anything accidental. It was clear that he knew what was happening, but it was also evident that the specifics of the issue was kept a secret from him as well.

"Yes sir. The rest of the guards," the vantha replied, wrinkling his nose as he recalled what else his original instructor had mentioned about the topic. "The transitional guards and finishers, I think. We have already gone through the stable guards."

"I am quite aware of the situation of your syllabus, student. I am a busy person, and I have barely managed to squeeze time for you in between my classes. I hope that you are as diligent in practising as Oliver claimed, for I have no time to revise or recap anything. If there are no more clarifications we will begin immediately."

"I am ready, Master Lugheim," the student answered, mentally preparing himself for the lesson, his body unconsciously dipping slightly as his body responded by simulating a relaxed form of the basic posture.
Last edited by Eridanus on February 3rd, 2012, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on January 22nd, 2012, 6:13 am

"The transitional guards, Eridanus," Master Lugheim began, "are more difficult than your stable guards. Why is that so?"

"Is it because they are... uh... transitional?" Eridanus wondered, for he could not quite express his thoughts without using the same word.

"Aptly put. It is named as such to remind the swordsman that one should never be in an extended position with this guard. Instead, it is the in-between each stable guard, to be accompanied by appropriate cuts or thrusts," the senior instructor replied.

"Left or right handed?" He inquired, and Eridanus quickly told him that he favored his right hand.

The Denvali shifted his left leg forward, his right leg bent slightly. As he did so, his torso profiled to the right. Before he continued, he motioned for Eri to pass him his practice sword, for he did not have one. Holding it in a right-handed fist grip, he crossed his wrist and raised the sword up to his head level, such that the sword was parallel to the ground. His hands were crossed and looked like they were entangled.

"The right Window," Arnold offered, "Look closely."

Next, he jabbed the sword forward slowly, though Eri was quite sure he did so in an exaggeration motion so that he could follow what the instructor's intention. Immediately after the jab his right leg shifted forward, and simultaneously he turned his torso to profile the left. The sword remained in the same position, yet with the shift of the torso his hands were magically uncrossed now.

"The left Window," Arnold commented, "A good mix of offence and defence meant for parrying blows but allowing you to thrust at any moment."

He repeated the two guards again slowly so that the vantha could catch what was happening, and then he handed the sword over to Eridanus to try.

"Looking can only bring you so far, you gotta try it out," the instructor said, stepping back to watch the student.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on January 22nd, 2012, 6:43 am

Eridanus took the sword in a right-handed fist grip, raising it loosely in front of him as he settled into the neutral posture with his chest squared to the front.

"Pass forward on left," Lugheim commanded, and Eridanus did as instructed, shifting his left leg forward, imitating the distance moved.

"A little more, you don't want your legs to be so close to each other," the instructor called out. "Face your chest to your right, bring your right hand up straight, but your left hand should go over your right."

It sounded confusing, but there was only one thing to do to figure it out, and that was to try. He shifted his torso to the right first, that was the easy part. Raising his hand, he stopped when he was interrupted by the senior instructor.

"No no, your angles are wrong. Do both at the same time, you'll get what I mean when you do it."

Facing the front again, the vantha turned his body in an excruciatingly slow manner, as he did so raising his right hand to the height of his forehead. As he kept his grip on the sword, he realized that this caused his left hand to be outside of his right hand, but that the sword was still facing up. It needed to be facing to the front, and so the next natural thing to do was to use his right hand as a pivot and push his left hand along with the pommel right-wards. This caused his left hand to be crossed over outwards with his right hand, and he was somehow in the Left Window. The only thing left to do was to turn his head left to face the front.

"That's it. Could do a little work, but that's the general idea," Lugheim remarked, and he walked over to adjust the angles and positions of various limbs of his student. "This is the stance you'd want to be in. Remember where all your limbs are. It is easy to get your hands tangled up when you're unfamiliar with this guard."

"From there, thrust your sword forward. I know we have not covered the specifics of thrusting yet, so just pushing your sword forward like you want to stab someone. Then you pass forward on your right. Make sure that you do not withdraw your thrust, keep your sword out as you pass forward, and at the same time you twist your torso to the left. Your hands should naturally be uncrossed with the sword remaining in the same position."

It sounded dubious, but the vantha complied, first jabbing forward with the sword. His right hand shifted forward from slightly behind his head to forward, and his left hand was now around his face level. Keeping his arms outstretched, he shifted his right leg forward, centralizing his center of mass more equally. He was in a pretty uncomfortable position, and the next natural step was to twist his body so that his torso was facing left. He felt the urge the move his sword, but remembered that he had to keep the sword there. The only way to compromise was to rotate his wrist as he twisted his torso, and his left hand followed suit as the sword rotated.

He was now in the Right Window, but now the arms were uncrossed.

"Atta boy. Re-do them a few more times so you know what you're doing and we'll move on."

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on January 22nd, 2012, 7:15 am

Eridanus spent the next ten chimes repeating the guards, from neutral stance to Left Window to Right Window. Arnold Lugheim was right, it was difficult to replicate this stance just by looking due to the intricacies of the parts of the body concerned. The only way to understand this was to put himself in the posture, and he admitted that he had a long way to go before he could effectively pull off this guard quickly without fumbling.

"This should be easier. Watch," Lugheim said, taking Eri's practice sword again. This time he settled into the Short guard, then thrusting his blade forward and upwards, as he did so he passed forward on his right. Due to the thrust his sword was now gripped at chest-to-neck height, though its original inclination was still the same. "The Crown. Best for parrying thrusts and straight top-down slashes. Your turn."

Taking his sword back, the vantha eased into the Short guard that he had been practising for the past ten days or so.

"Pass forward on your right as you thrust. Provides more stability and strength to your attack. Aim... er, at your opponent's face," Lugheim added.

Eridanus did what he was told, shifting his right leg forward in a practised manner. As he did so the position of his body weight moved forward, generating momentum to increase the strength of his thrust. He remembered what Oliver Camlach said about the thumb grip being preferred for thrusting rather than the fist, and he adjusted his grip accordingly, placing a thumb firmly on the flat of the blade just above the cross-guard. He jabbed the sword forward in what he thought a thrust should look like, aiming at an imaginary opponent's face. It was in a good position to do so, for the Short guard was a stance that began with the point of the blade already threatening an opponent's head.

As he reached the end of his passing step, his sword was already up and he stopped it when the hilt of the blade was around his chest to neck area like what he saw Lugheim did.

The vantha realized that this move looked simple, but required speed and accuracy for all the movements, from thrust to footwork must be executed simultaneously in one clean strike. Also, just enough force must be committed, while drawing also from the momentum of the pass, for the attack to pose a threat. However, he must take heed not to put in too much force so that the entire arc of the thrust will optimally land with the hilt near his neck's height, in other words swiftly finishing in a Crown guard.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on January 22nd, 2012, 7:34 am

"Lesser trouble I see there. Much to improve on, but that's your job, not mine," Arnold commented, motioning for Eri to pass him the practice sword again.

"This should be familiar to you," the senior instructor said, snapping into a Boar's Tooth guard, with the sword deceptively lowered in front of him. In an exaggerated manner, he passed forward with his left leg while sweeping the sword upwards and forward. "The Long," He said simply, "A natural position after a thrust from the Boar's Tooth, generally used to force opponents away if you need more space."

It looked similar to the Crown, except that the hilt was at chest level, and the angle of the sword was closer to the ground than to the sky. The tip was still pointed forward and slightly upwards. His hands were more outstretched, and his legs wider apart, his body leaning forward slightly. With a little motion from the leg and an adjustment of the swords angle the instructor was able to take up plenty of space. The opponent had to back off or risk getting impaled.

Eridanus marveled at the simplicity yet effectiveness of this guard, and he took the sword back, settling into the Boar's Tooth. Passing forward on his left, he felt his body shift forward as he did so, and he brought the lowered sword up, remembering to shift to a thumb grip for better accuracy. He realized his legs were in a similar posture as that of the Tail, and he filed this comparison away in his mind for revision. As his sword reached the end of its swing his thumb returned beyond the cross-guard back to the fist grip.

"Sooooomething like that," Arnold remarked, "Though like the Crown you'll want to do it all in one swift motion. Also take note that you do not actually swing your sword up. It's still a thrust, so you actually swing your sword up in order to thrust. Keep that in mind."

He walked over and pushed Eri's forward leg further forward, "You like to keep your legs too close together. Take note that some guards require you to distribute your weight along a wider area." Using both hands to push Eri's torso forward, he said, "Lean a tiny bit more. You want to increase the length of space your sword is occupying, but not too much to prevent over-extending."

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on January 22nd, 2012, 7:41 am

They spent the next few chimes going through the flaws of Eri's stance, and when Lugheim was satisfied he said, "Stay there and get a feel of what it's like. Yes I can see your thigh trembling, it's like that when you're not used to that kind of strain on your thigh muscles. You might want to consider conditioning those muscles in your spare time as well."

Eri could feel his thigh muscles beginning to burn from having to freeze in that stance for quite a while already, but he gritted his teeth, unwilling to show weakness to Camlach's fellow instructor.

The Denvali strode over to the student's front, and he rotated the blade such that the flat faced the ground. "The Flat Long," He said simply, rotating the blade again so that its edge faced the ground. "The Edge Long."

Stepping back, he asked, "Tell me, student Eridanus. What's the difference?"

Eridanus had been paying attention to the concepts taught so far, for he was a diligent seeker of knowledge, and he readily answered, "The flat to block and the edge to strike."

"Yes. And why?"

"Edge collisions will weaken both blades, but a flat collision will not. Obviously, a strike with an edge deals more damage than with the flat."

"Well said. In fact, stay in that position for a moment. I'll be back."

With that, Arnold Lugheim strode out of the courtyard, leaving the incredulous vantha staring at his back as he left. His muscles were protesting and he badly wanted to recover, even for just a second to swing his arms about and to massage his legs, but he knew that the protesting meant his muscles were on their way to improving. This was a conditioning of sorts, and he had to use his mental discipline to crush his physical cravings. Mind over matter.

Clearing his mind one exhausted thought at a time, he instead mentally placed himself at another place. A place where he was comfortably sitting down and enjoying a cool drink made of the juice of lemons and oranges. The imagery he planted in his mind helped to soothe his thoughts and make the struggling slightly better, and it took all he had to not abandon this imagination, for if his mind were to return to his trembling thighs it would be worse to bear.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on January 22nd, 2012, 10:52 am

"Recover," a voice boomed, and Eri gratefully recovered from the Long, shaking his arms and patting his legs to sooth some of the strain and muscle fatigue. Lugheim came strolling into the courtyard, this time with a wooden sword of his own, and he nodded briefly at Eridanus, acknowledging his effort at doing exactly what he was told.

"Seems to me it'll be easier if I don't have to keep borrowing your sword," the instructor noted. "Next one might be a little awkward especially if you're new to our style of swordsmanship. It's fine though, just watch and follow."

"The Two-Horned guard," he explained, settling into a neutral posture and then passing forward with his right leg. Pulling back his arms so that his elbows were close to his hipbones, and his fists close to his chest, he continued, "looks a little strange especially to the untrained observer. It is great for quick execution of thrusts and cuts. Also, which leg you pass forward doesn't matter in this case, the focus should be on what your hands are doing."

Eridanus followed suit into a neutral stance, holding his sword up loosely. Passing forward on his right leg, he brought his arms inwards to his body, feeling the outer part of his shoulder muscles strain mildly as he did so. He felt awkward doing it, but he persevered to shifted his elbows close to his hips as Lugheim did, raising his forearms so that his fists gripping the hilt of the blade was at his chest level.

"That's it. Try passing with your left."

The student took a few chimes to replicate the Two-Horned alternatively with both feet taking turns to pass forward, and the more he repeated the guard the more he felt less awkward doing it. It was still largely an unnatural motion to him, and he knew that in a sudden battle he was likely not to use it unless it was so ingrained in him that his body deem it natural enough to use it as part of a reflex action.

"That's it for the transitional guards. To refresh your memory we have gone through the Window, Crowned, Flat Long, Edge Long and the Two-Horned. I was informed that Oliver left you a copy of his excellent notes with a summary of all that. Refer to it if you have any queries after this class."

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on January 22nd, 2012, 10:58 am

"The finishers, as it name suggests, is often use to strike a powerful and decisive blow that ends the battle. Do not be fooled by its name, however, and it will be wise to just treat finishers as guards that allow you a strong application of force in your attacks," Arnold warned, before going on with the second section of the lesson.

He shifted forward slightly with his right leg, angling his torso partially to the right and raising his sword with both hands in that same angle upwards, the blade inclined about thirty to forty-five degrees. It was pretty obvious what this guard was for, and Eridanus recognized it as one often used by most swordsmen due to the ease of learning it.

"The Falcon. To one as experienced as you it is obvious that this is for strong cuts, due to the wind-up. As an extra note, it is also an invitation for your opponent to attack your torso and legs, which you can use to bait your opponent with before responding appropriately."

Eridanus passed forward his right leg, raising his sword similarly in a smooth manner. Like most swordsmen he had picked this up through trial-and-error, though only the upper torso and not with the footwork.

"As expected, you picked it up quickly. Excellent," Lugheim commented, and he returned to a neutral posture, ready to demonstrate the next stance.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Eridanus on January 22nd, 2012, 11:13 am

Stepping forward slightly with his left leg, Arnold Lugheim raised his sword such that it slung over his right shoulder like he was holding a club. It was a simple move, and he explained, "That's it. The Woman. By placing your sword in this position it allows you the greatest charging space for swinging and this allows you to execute very powerful cuts. Also, will you believe that my right will be completely protected as well?"

Eridanus studied the posture, and he noted that it would take some time to swing the sword down to block an attack from the right. It seemed like a powerful offensive technique but it was weak on defence. He shook his head, and Lugheim chuckled, replying, "Take a couple of swipes at me. Cuts, thrusts, high, low, whatever. Aim at me from my right."

Eridanus walked to Lugheim's right, and suddenly he stabbed towards Lugheim's knee, then swinging the blade up aiming to slash the instructor's neck.

Lugheim merely stepped forward on his right, twisting his body to the left but keeping the slung position of his sword in place and stood there, blocking both hits easily. Eridanus blinked, and he observed this new position carefully.

By twisting his body such in that manner, Lugheim effectively draped the long sword in a diagonal manner protecting his frame, and he did not even have to adjust the angle of the sword. As the sword was long enough to create a buffer zone by pointing out at that angle when he turned his body, it effectively prevented attacks from even touching his body. It was ingenious.

"Genius!" Eridanus cried, and the senior instructor chuckled, telling him to go for it.

It was such a simple move, but the magic lay in what it could do, or what it threatened, rather than the stance itself. Many a times he had seen other warriors use this same stance, but it was more of a stance that portrayed cockiness rather than to use this dangerous advantage. He would not have known this until he came to Denval.

Eagerly, the vantha passed forward slightly with his left foot, keeping his sword in a fist grip and raising his sword behind him to sling over his right shoulder. The offensive capabilities were obvious, he could see that.

Suddenly, the instructor rushed forward with a thrust aimed at his torso from his right, and he quickly stepped forward, though he did not twist his torso enough and felt a wooden stub in his gut.

"Oof!" the student cried, and Lugheim laughed heartily, saying, "You got to be faster, student Eridanus. Be on your guard!"

Stepping back, he motioned for the student to resume the Woman, and suddenly rushed at his right again with a diagonal slash. This time, Eridanus had been anticipating the move and he passed forward on his right quickly, twisting his torso to the left and gripping his wooden sword hard as he did so. It seemed counter-intuitive to face one's back towards an incoming attack, but the technique worked, and he could feel the clash of their practice swords vibrate along the length of his sword, though keeping his body protected.

"Now you get what I mean, huh," Lugheim remarked.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next