Don't Drink the Water

You don't know what's been in it. [Elianos]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Don't Drink the Water

Postby Lazybones on January 22nd, 2012, 3:34 am

Nobody heard him, the dead man
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he's dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
(Still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.

-Stevie Smith

Winter 9th, 511AV
ImageA ravosala rolled silently through the narrow canal, its long, slender body gliding alongside the nearby walkway. Its belly was empty of passengers, leaving its driver to pilot the vessel alone. The ravosalaman, an icon of Ravok, stood like a monolith at the back of the long boat while he plunged his long pole into the water. The water had been lit afire by the blazing sunset, Syna's last cry of joy before she dove into the horizon. He was floating on a river of gold.

His name was William, though most Ravokians didn't care to ask. He made a living off of being ubiquitous, yet eternally unnoticed. It was fine enough for him; the work kept his arms strong and his pockets lined. He had to opportunity to meet and chat with all manners of walks of life, from slave to noble. At the end of the day, he could tie his boat at night and retreat home for a warm stout and hot meal. That was really all anyone could ask for.

Today had been particularly long, and on this evening, William's body sagged with exhaustion. His arms ached and his hands were burning and callused. Hardly a single soul had tipped him, and not even one had asked for his name. He longed to retreat to the Silver Sliver Tavern, conveniently located right along one of the canals in the Nitrozian Plaza, over in the Docks District. A pint of bitter would help dull the pain in his limbs. Three pints would have him weaving bad poetry for women he didn't stand a chance with.

Sidling up alongside a narrow dock, William grabbed a hold of a post to bring the ravosala to a stop. The water lashed wetly at the guiding pole as he drew it from the water and laid it lengthwise in the vessel. After tying a secure knot to ensure the wooden craft didn’t escape, he stepped out of the boat and onto the dock: and thus he became William the Ravokian. A human, a person with a face, no longer the stoic Ravosalaman.

A broad hand with short, dirty fingernails dug into his mop of sandy curls, tousling out the knotted tangles and livening up his fringe. With a thirsty tongue, he pressed into the Sliver with fervor, ordered his beer, found a seat, and disappeared into the evening crowd.

OOCThis is where you're free to approach him, or spy, or what have you. :)
I am a friendly fascist. I am a tyrant that you should trust. And you should let me run your life, because I do know what is best for you.

RavokBlack SunEbonstryfeRhysolThe VoiceRavok IC
Lazybones
Could be wrong, should be right.

Words: 80514
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2012, 9:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office

Don't Drink the Water

Postby Elianos on January 22nd, 2012, 6:21 am

One of the good things about being a nuit is that is is possible to drink as much as Elianos wanted without getting drunk. It was not as strong as embalming fluid itself and getting it out of his body when there was too much was a problem but it was a habit developed over a long period of time with a lot of inner pain and conflict. Even coming into terms with it making Elianos a more joyous and happy person when it neared the second half of his undeath did nothing to stop his thirst that did not really need to get quenched. It also allowed him to see a lot of people when he visited the tavern and as shortlived as they were, they represented the majority of Mizahar and he needed to learn how to live with them. In the early days he might have accidentally hurt someone in a fit of rage if they looked at him the wrong way but being angry all the time? It was old and unproductive. Being happy was the same but at least gave him that warm feeling inside, or that could have been the alcohol.

The Ravosalaman that entered the Silver Sliver did not get any recognition from Elianos and why should he? For the nuit the Ravosalamen were nothing more than a convenient service for him to get his frail body around when he had the coin for it. Walking, it was one of those dull things too. Completely a waste of time even with the lifetime he gained from cheating death but still necessary when there were places that he needed to be. If it was not for walking he would not have run into the expedition sign up either. This might be one of the last days that Elianos could drink himself into a stupor before embarking on that profitable but dangerous venture but as he announced holding up a mug into the air "you can only die so many times" which was each time he switched bodies before finding it as a wasteful chore too.

The nuit could not get drunk but he sure acted that way. Getting a refill he trudged on into the crowd to find a seat of his own and taking a few more sips he started talking to random people only because he wanted to. A hundred years down the line perhaps and they would not be able to talk about it anymore so no matter how many people he met there would not be a problem. If it was repeated however by the next generation then Elianos could be the stuff of legends, but such a thing did not interest him either.

"It's a shame really that people only know about things when someone tells them about it or it jumps out right in front of them" just like the expedition sign ups. "Good things or bad, it is all the same. You know when I was a boy my family got attacked by leech"-er? "Lost everything then" and that was a long time ago "so what is the point or trying to get it all back? It is not like opportunity will come jumping straight at you though..." a smile appeared on his face once more when he took another sip thinking about the expedition ahead. There will be funds for him to continue on with his work and maybe a reputation with all the people who seem to be helping to make the outpost come into being.

And Elianos would go on and on talking vaguely about his life and just how pointless it all seemed to be to just...live from day to day wearily. A lot of people would not really understand the horrible concept of eternity unless there is something to look for. The nuit would only stop however if someone actually bothered to engage him in a discussion or if he overhears anything interesting that he could use for himself.
Currently trying to revamp his personality so that it would not be one of those overused angry rawr nuits...
Elianos
Any-body will do for now

Words: 28740
Joined roleplay: December 14th, 2011, 6:22 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet

Don't Drink the Water

Postby Lazybones on January 26th, 2012, 7:54 am

The Sliver was filled with all sorts tonight. At a far table near the front entrance was a pair of boys who, William was certain, could have been any older than twelve. The barmaid had no apparent reservations toward serving them their tall pints of ale, even though they might easily drink themselves to death from their small size. William paid it no further mind. They were their parents' problem.

"Will!"

He turned his head. A burly, barrel-chested man stood at his table, wearing a broad, stained grin behind a beard of blackened silver. "Ah?"

"Though' tha' was you, mate. How ya been?" The mountain of a main fell noisily into a seat. William knew the man, so he smiled, but he drew his mug a little closer to his body to be on the safe side.

"Oh, you know. Still driving ravosalas."

"Nice work, that." The man leaned back in his chair, drawing a metal flask from his vest. William tilted his head to inspect the item, but it had no special discerning marks. It smelled faintly bitter, but that could have been any number of smells occurring in this brilliant abundance of amazing aromas at the Sliver. "Easy, laid back. I bet you hear the oddest things from people, talking their lives away."

William's eyes found the man's face again. Shyke, what was his name again?

"Turner. I work with yer father."

William smiled cattily. "Sorry, I'm terrible." He took a drink. "And yes, I do. I see a few strange things as well."

"Do people ever petch in yer boats?"

The ravosalaman chuckled knowingly, weighing the question before supplying an answer. "Sometimes. But I've seen worse."

"Loik wot?"

"Oh you know. Foreigners, slavers and their quarry, stinking drunks. Bodies." His blue eyes flicked up. "Murders."
I am a friendly fascist. I am a tyrant that you should trust. And you should let me run your life, because I do know what is best for you.

Lazybones

Office

Don't Drink the Water

Postby Elianos on January 28th, 2012, 7:09 am

Those who know nuits would say that they are a secretive bunch especially with the knowledge that they gathered throughout the ages. Even the nuits of Sahova would not work together so easily preferring to keep their secrets themselves. Just what sort of a nuit is Elianos then? One which was still trying to reintegrate himself into society his own way and one of those ways is to be honest in situations where he was allowed to be? At least that was what he believed when he continued on talking about his life's story to another complete stranger at the part where "I chased after him for quite some time with only a name and image that I had in my mind for so many years until finally..."

Quarries, bodies and murders? Elianos has not even reached the proper build up to hint about those things yet and already there was another person talking about it. It sounded a lot more interesting than his own life story, the one that the stranger he was giving it to did not bother to ask more about. Elianos was already lost in thought about what he wanted to say and what he wanted to hear next. He took a sip. While he was not as strong as a whole person would be in his borrowed body, a nuit would still be somewhat capable of defending himself so a murderer would not be too much of a concern but it was quite an arousing subject since the Stryfe did not even do anything about it?

As it was, a free body would be very good for himself even if it is still a long time for a change. The only reason why he was in the Silver Sliver was to pass his time to his next job. There was nothing more that he could actually do in Ravok. Even doing his hobbies or working on his personal art could not be done without actually having a body for himself to use. While Elianos continued with his story, that "...I found him and gave him what I have been keeping to myself all that time until that day..." he kept an ear open for what the ravosalamen were talking about. He wanted to know more, a lot more but it would be too strange to jump into that conversation now.
Currently trying to revamp his personality so that it would not be one of those overused angry rawr nuits...
Elianos
Any-body will do for now

Character sheet

Don't Drink the Water

Postby Lazybones on February 3rd, 2012, 7:20 pm

Unimpressed, Turner leaned back and inhaled the contents of his mug. A trickle of amber navigated its way through his graying stubble along the side of his chin, only to be smeared by the back of his hand as the mug found the table again. "Murders? Stuff it, William."

"No, really." The ravosalaman leaned over the table, stabbing it with his index finger. "Right in the canal behind this bar, not two bells ago."

Turner swiveled in his chair, pivoting a robust thigh to the side as he leaned out to flag down a server. After dispatching a halfhearted wave to someone across the room, he turned back to will and perked a furry eyebrow. "I see murders all the time. 'Course it's usually outsiders and slaves, so they don't count."

With a shrug, William leaned back. He drew his mug into his lap, but didn't drink from it. His head shook in a nod of agreement. "Didn't recognize the body. It could have been an outsider, but the killers weren't thugs. They were Ebonstryfe."

"Well, now this is sounding interestin'."

"Yep. I was taking a nap in my boat, you see, so they thought it was empty. I heard a girl scream and popped my head up to see what was going on. Two Ebonstryfe and a blonde woman. They slashed her throat and tossed her in the canal." William scratched his chin and swished his drink. "I almost went in after her, when they left, but more because she was wearing a gold locket. I figured I could pawn it for a gold miza or two."

The other man mulled on this for a moment, watching a serving girl approach their table from the corner of his eye. "She prolly had it coming," he said dismissively, just as the server arrived. William parted with a dark chuckle, and then both men made their orders.

Lazybones

Office

Don't Drink the Water

Postby Elianos on February 12th, 2012, 12:03 am

Repeating his story to random strangers never got boring because it at least reminded him of his roots and why he chose to remain. "You want to know more?" he asked the man he was talking to. Probably not but that did not stop Elianos from continuing on with his strange love for the body like hands. "They are a lot like us don't you think? A head, two arms and two legs..." he said as he pulled on each finger which was at the same position as those parts. "I wish that sometimes they can be more than that..." and why not? One day hopefully he would reach that point where they would actually think for themselves instead of just reacting mechanically to what he already taught them.

Maybe he would explain more some other time if there was an audience but Elianos soon became aware that the murder that was being talked about was none other than the one which was on everyone's mouth having happened so recently. Better yet no one went for the body even with the locket. A beautiful prize, the body not the locket. As gruesome as the killing was made out to be the simple fact of a slash to the throat could hopefully be clean enough to leave the reset of the body intact for him. Elianos wanted...needed it and he had to act fast because if news spread about that locket no doubt some greedy Ravokian would get to it soon.

Turning around he got himself into that "horrible business. I guess I would have to avoid the brothel. No..." wait was that near the docks? Maybe a more believable spot would be "...the Black Tar? Where did it happen again? Everyone likes to mention a different spot that I did not even want to come here"... he said trying to put on a sad face. "...but it was a good thing that I did no?" he asked raising his mug like he wanted a toast.
Elianos
Any-body will do for now

Character sheet

Don't Drink the Water

Postby Lazybones on February 19th, 2012, 5:09 am

"Shame 'bout that locket, though."

"Yeah. I regret not going after it, but even if it were worth a hundred miza, it's not worth my time. It'll wash away in an hour or so more anyway, I'm sure."

Enjoying their drinks, Turner and William continued their conversation beyond the murder, both of them seeming to lose their interest in it. Murder happened everyday in Ravok, and usually no one bothered to notice it unless it had something to do with them. The canals took care of bodies quickly; Rhysol's protection not only guarded the city against harsh weather, but kept the water in the canals clean and free of refuse. By morning, they body would be gone. Likely devoured by fish or rolled into the loch by the slow, easy current.

Soon enough, they were talking over empty ale glasses again. Turner swept a thirsty tongue across his dry lips as he waved at the barmaid again. "Care for another, Will?"

"Nah. I've had enough. I'm gonna go collect my pay and head home to my wife." The thinner man pushed away from the table and rose to his feet. His heel knocked the leg of his chair loudly as he leaned back to stretch--and stumbled. On an empty stomach, just a few glasses of ale made his mind swim. "I'll see you later, Turner. I'll tell my father you said hello."

"Tell him I want his arse to pick up the slack! Your dad's a useless pile."

"Watch it," William replied insincerely, wafting a hand dismissively in Turner's direction. After visiting with the barmaid to hand her his pay for the drinks, and slipping in a flirtatious line or two, the ravosalaman exited the tavern through the front door. He pocketed both hands to shield them from the soft Winter chill, hunched his tall, thin frame, and began to make his way down a moonlit street.

Lazybones

Office

Don't Drink the Water

Postby Elianos on February 21st, 2012, 12:04 am

Elianos sadly enough was ignored by the two men who continued on with their conversation into the boring things but that was all good. He already got what he needed from listening in on their conversation earlier. Boats, ravosala, that sort of thing which hints towards the canals and the time limit of an hour. If that was true than Elianos had no time to lose. Normally any-body he wanted had at least a day or two but he can still work with it. This is not the first time he had a dead-line and certainly it will not be the last. This man William is his link and if William is going to collect his pay, with any luck he might make a stop as his ravosala. Elianos would catch him and his prize there.

The nuit while he was paying another barmaid kept an eye on William while he paid his. Preferably the right eye because...you'll see. Elianos exited the tavern at more or less a half a minute after only to follow the already diminishing figure of the hunched, tall man down the street. Tailing him at that distance might have been safe but it was also dangerous since Elianos might lose William if he took was unlucky. He quickened his pace to close the gap between them as he prepared himself to go back to that safe distance once again. If discovered now he could always say he just happened to be going the same direction.

His best joint that he could think of as the starting line would be his neck since if he started any closer he might as well rip the whole eye off. With each step he took his djed moved closer to its goal, shrinking down to that same right eye which was on William earlier and pushing it with a 'pop!' if such a thing could actually be heard by anyone. At that point there was no difference to what he was actually seeing but Elianos could feel...no he could not feel his right eye any longer. Which was why he knew that it was already projected out successfully.

Then his projected right eye quickly hovered after William unseen as Elianos slowed down to shadow William in the night. Following William through the streets always at a distance of a turn away because that man will not be able to escape his gaze. It was a funny thing really, seeing the very same thing with his left that he already saw with his right moments ago and nauseating too. Forget about the djed, there was only so long that his brain can keep this up. Hopefully William would reach his destination soon and bring the nuit to his prize of Elianos might just lose it.
Elianos
Any-body will do for now

Character sheet

Don't Drink the Water

Postby Lazybones on February 28th, 2012, 3:49 am

It was no coincidence that the office of William's employer was so close to the Silver Sliver. The ravosalamen got their business from outsiders and Ravokians alike, both of which often convened at the most popular tavern in the Docks district. Prejudices existed there, just as they did anywhere else, but were soothed by the numbing lull of alcohol. Brawls happened on just about a daily basis, but neither the Ravokians nor the outsiders ever became discouraged about coming to kill off parts of their mind and forget worry.

Also, it so happened that William's employer was a drunk. That probably factored in, a little.

Picking up his pay was quick and simple. He stopped at an unceremonious, wooden structure—plain, even ugly considering its gallantly appointed surroundings—and ducked into the door. Not twenty ticks later, he emerged again with a satchel in hand. William paused then, in the lanternlight, leaning on the façade as he fingered through the container to count his miza. The late evening streets shuffled on as they usually did, a thinning crowd making their way down the narrow street like the water in the canals itself. But something was strange…

William's eyes flicked up. Was someone… watching him?

A Ravokian doesn't take chances.

"Is someone there?!" William called, heedless of the nearby citizens who turned toward him with disapproving coos. "I saw you! Have you been following me?" A dagger unsheathed itself from beneath his jacket and glinted in the moonlight. "Show yourself or I'll call the guard!" A woman nearby gasped. William turned to glare at her. "Not you, obviously."

After a moment, he waved his dagger in the air. "Or don't! Stay hidden, and I'll come find you myself!"

Lazybones

Office

Don't Drink the Water

Postby Elianos on March 6th, 2012, 11:04 pm

One building at the docks. The way it looked among the more better buildings made Elianos think that it was some sort of an outhouse unless it was more like a place the Ravokians kept their animals or worse, slaves. "Humans and their needs..." the nuit told himself as he continued walking to catch up with his eye that was still watching the door. A good thing that he did so since he was able to catch a glimpse of the madness that followed with the random shouting. Nothing new for him since he has seen better nuits doing a lot worse back in Sahova. Since the eye was for watching, he could not hear what the ravosalaman was shouting and reached the clearing oblivious to what was going on.

The first thing he realized was that he reached his proper destination as soon as he saw all the other ravosalas tethered at the canals. Was this the place William was talking about? Quite unlikely he thought to himself since even after dark there was still some traffic even if they were affected by the outburst. Elianos waited for a while as he recalled his eye in the sky back to him and fastened it back into its socket until he was no longer experiencing the double vision. That was quite nauseating and fortunately he did not need to eat or he would have made a different sort of a scene from William since his eye might have been playing tricks on him when he thought that the dagger was being waved towards it...or was it?

The talk about guards unnerved him quite a bit. Elianos of course never had trouble with the law and even if he did that would be lifetimes ago. They would not remember something from then would they? The nuit did not enjoy his unnatural life just because he played it safe and he took a step forward to try and set the playing field saying "whoa! You've had a little too much to drink did ya?" and why would he know that unless he was the culprit of William's paranoia acting up. However he would not be admitting that, instead just mentioning that he happened to use the same way to get to the boarding house if the issue ever came up.

Doctor lessons never taught him about handling mental illnesses and neither did his experiences in Sahova just like all the other nuits. Nevertheless he soon found himself stretching out his hand telling William to "just calm down and put the knife down...you don't want to scare the pretty lady there anymore do you?" Yes she was pretty and even if Elianos was no longer living to have his body elicit the proper response, he could still value the healthy body that all those under Rhysol's protection had and he wanted it.

But he knew he could not get her's so he would have to settle the one already sinking down into the lake and "maybe you would like to tell me what is troubling you?" like the murder he saw. How strange to have a complete stranger in Ravok concerned about another's wellbeing but maybe the admission that "I'm a doctor and I think that is what you need right now" could be enough to put the man's doubts at ease until Elianos got what he wanted.
Elianos
Any-body will do for now

Character sheet

Next