World Languages

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Re: World Languages

Postby Aneira Haimati on March 24th, 2010, 2:28 am

Languages in general, and even fantasy languages, have always interested me. I'd love to help in whatever area you need it, once you get going. Feel free to PM me or message me on MSN. I can also be coaxed into logging onto AIM if preferred. :)
Aneira Haimati
Masquerade! Paper faces on parade.

Words: 31480
Joined roleplay: February 10th, 2010, 12:07 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Miharu Mindi on March 24th, 2010, 2:45 am

Pua, I totally understand what you mean. An example of my submissions are:

Dhani - Shashassen: Extremely insulting, literally "she who abandons her children"
Myrian - Kotakbil: One who makes too much noise in the jungle; literally "heavy footed"

That sort of thing. Katie and I are putting together a bunch for common, and then ones for each other races which have their own language. Excepting, like, Jamoura which are just a bunch of grunts and stuff. :) But we're gonna submit them to the development thread once we've got 'em done.

And I am dreaming of them with their kill
Tearing it all apart
Blood dripping from their lips
And teeth sinking into heart
Miharu Mindi
Player

Words: 165248
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2010, 7:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Pua on March 24th, 2010, 2:55 am

most Awesomeness. Don't forget when doing words to phrase conversions that the root words usually remain within
Pua
Bald Jungle Hunk

Words: 45470
Joined roleplay: February 13th, 2010, 4:18 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Nyahna Sasin on March 24th, 2010, 6:33 am

Mm. I know that Kadurro stated in his journal that he's been called a Dhani. Although that was pretty much a plot device to not recognize my characters race.
Nyahna Sasin
The snakepuppy assassin

Words: 164919
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2009, 8:24 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Tarot on March 24th, 2010, 9:25 pm

Okay, I'm building a genealogy tree for languages here: Language. It uses a badass wiki extension that makes charts from text so we don't have to bother making the diagrams offline (or ripping our hair out when the info changes/needs an update).

Errors? Omissions? Input from the races' creators is especially important.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Miharu Mindi on March 24th, 2010, 9:33 pm

That's awesome Tarot! Thanks a million!

And I am dreaming of them with their kill
Tearing it all apart
Blood dripping from their lips
And teeth sinking into heart
Miharu Mindi
Player

Words: 165248
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2010, 7:08 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Nyahna Sasin on March 25th, 2010, 12:13 am

Mm. I think it's safe to say that snake tongue developed out of snakes, so I'm not really certain why it's said to develop out of another language.
Nyahna Sasin
The snakepuppy assassin

Words: 164919
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2009, 8:24 am
Blog: View Blog (2)
Race: Dhani
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Pua on March 25th, 2010, 1:03 am

I think snakes qualify as another language
Pua
Bald Jungle Hunk

Words: 45470
Joined roleplay: February 13th, 2010, 4:18 am
Race: Myrian
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Sefra on March 25th, 2010, 3:21 am

Tarot wrote:Okay, I'm building a genealogy tree for languages here: Language. It uses a badass wiki extension that makes charts from text so we don't have to bother making the diagrams offline (or ripping our hair out when the info changes/needs an update).

Errors? Omissions? Input from the races' creators is especially important.

Awesome, love the chart! Is there any way to make all the items linkable? (provided there's something to link to, of course).

Also, I think I will begin by setting up a more formal format for the phonology of the Ancient language. Which probably just means making an image that is the chart used by the IPA to represent phonemes.

As I understand from my rather limited experience, generally what is needed to build an evolution like it seems we're about to do, there needs to be a good description of the grammar of the language and the phonemic inventory (including morphology, phonotactics, and a bunch of other stuff I'll have to look up on Wikipedia again to make sure I'm getting it right).

I propose that our most immediate goal be to generate a grammar and a more thorough phonology for Ancient.
Sefra
Player

Words: 13783
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:20 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Liminal on March 25th, 2010, 10:05 pm

Everything from my perspective looks pretty good. The only thing I would add is that at least one language -- Denvali -- is missing from the chart. It's a post-Valterrian derivation of Middle Common, and though it has very few speakers, Mizahar's greatest post-Valterrian linguist wrote a paper on it, so it's worth including.

Also, I've been working under the assumption that Suvan Common and Alahean Common were different dialects, although still mutually intelligible. Any way we could/should show that?
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

PreviousNext