[The Stranger's Welcome] Dinner with the Doctor (Laudus)

Veldrys meets a Nuit.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Postby Veldrys on January 27th, 2012, 5:56 pm

Winter 60, 511 AV

Most of the time Veldrys was perfectly content to spend his days in the Chapel, praying or listening to others pray or treat the occasional sick or wounded person, but sometimes even a doctor and follower of Viratas needed to take a break from his job. Sometimes even he sought the company of other people, to listen to their often pointless chatter and pretend that he was a part of their small community, even though he would never be completely like them. They had accepted him – for the most part – but in the end they would always be human, and he would always be one of them, one of those venomous Symenestra, too pale, too slender to be every mistaken for one of them, with eyes the color of amethyst and clothes made of fine silk.

His dinner that day would probably seem strange to most that passed by his table, but it was a typical Symenestra meal. Since there was nobody in this city that could or was willing to make a decent Bruka – the main ingredient of which was blood, a circumstance that humans always found a little off-putting for some reason – he had settled for the next best thing. A plate filled with soft, sweet fruit was standing in front of him, and next to it was a glass filled with juice. Alcohol seemed to be fairly popular among the patrons of the Stranger’s Welcome, but Veldrys needed his mental faculties intact. He had no interest in the dizziness or the strange behaviour people often exhibited when they had had too much to drink.

He sat alone, as always. Even though most people tolerated his presence and some had even become something like friends, it had just never occured to him that he could join one of the Denvali at their table and talk to them. For as long as he could think, Veldrys had always been the one watching the others, studying them, taking notes of all their weird little habits, such as the fact that Oleg seemed to tell everybody that stayed long enough the story of his one-eyed cousin Olga.
Veldrys
Player

Words: 401625
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Laudus on January 29th, 2012, 9:54 pm

Scorpio 1/29
Fights could break out today, but you need to try to avoid thme as much as you can.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seemed that a tavern seemed to always have similar characteristics. There always seemed to be ale, an obvious thing that made them fun to visit. With with alcohol, there was always a chance for a fight to break out. All taverns seem to have one of those every once in a while. And finally all taverns seemed to a dark man sitting in the corner with mystery shrouding him. Well Laudus didn't have any need for ale, and he really wasn't much of a fighter. But when it came to being odd and mysterious, Laudus was excellent at that.

It wasn't like the nuit couldn't be seen, with the light from the lamps bathing him as much as the next person. But maybe it was the fact that the man was wearing shadowsilk robes with the hood drawn to hide his face. Nothing could be seen of him besides his grey beard. This added the curiousness of those around them. Who was the elderly man and what did he have to hide. He had been in Denval in thirteen days, and rarely was he seen without his hood drawn. That alone made them wary of the man, which was why he sat alone. And he didn't mind at all.

In fact, Laudus enjoyed sitting by his self. No one spoke to him, and he spoke to no one. He could merely watch the patrons without interruptions, something he enjoyed doing. He listened for a little while about this one eye Olga but he turned his attention to two brawny men discussing their work on the road today. He had been doing this for a while, and only one thing seemed to always catch his attention when he scanned the room with his blue eyes. For some reason, Laudus was curious about the Symenestra sitting in the room. He was curious to why everyone around here wasn't reaching for weapons; not many people like the spider-like people. Yet they ignored him. But Laudus could not.

For some reason, he felt the need to talk to the man. Was he a man? Gender did not matter. He just felt the need to speak to the man. Maybe it was his scholarly approach to life that made him wish to walk over there. He had never met a Symenestra before in his long unliving life. It would be an interesting encounter no doubt. A nuit speaking to a Symenestra would be the talk of the town if only they knew. Some would, most wouldn't. But even if they didn't know, they would see this mysterious man speaking with a being of a race that not many people can tolerate. If anything, it would help convince others that they shouldn't speak with him for fear of a poisonus race. Or it could lead to a fight that Laudus did not wish to experience.

Willing to take the risk, Laudus stood from his chair, and walked over to the Symenestra, his slippers crossing the wooden floor silently. But that didn't mean people couldn't see the odd old man walking over towards Veldrys. He made it over without incident, and drew up to the table in sight of the man. "Mind if I sit with you? I'm in search of conversation." Laudus stood, arms at his waist, waiting for the man to tell him he could sit. While waiting, Laudus made a quick observation of the man. His clothes were made of silk, his eyes an uncommon amethyst. His choice of food was fruit and juice instead of alcohol and venison. Were Syms herbivores?

So many questions about Veldrys' race. And Laudus didn't quite know how to word them. Because the last thing the nuit wished to do was incite a fight by his words. He was taking onto this body, and didn't really want to change bodies so soon. That is if he didn't die during a fight if it did occur. Why did taverns had to have stereotypes such as those?
Laudus
An Unknown Variable

Words: 32542
Joined roleplay: January 16th, 2012, 7:24 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Veldrys on January 31st, 2012, 1:30 pm

As Laudus approached him and spoke to him, the Symenestra abruptly looked up, and his eyes widened a little in surprise. He noticed that the man was covering much of his face with a hood, noticed the grey beard, a clear sign of old age. He hadn’t seen many old people in his life yet. There had been his Glyphing teacher in Kalinor and the chaplain that he worked for, and that was it. The world after the Valterrian was a dangerous one, and people often died young. Veldrys himself was a mere twenty-two years of age.

„Please take a seat“, he said to Laudus and gestured towards the chair opposite of him. His grasp of the common language had improved in the year he had spent on the surface, but there was still the hint of an accent, and there would most likely always be one. „It’s unusual that somebody, especially somebody that seems to be a stranger to those parts wants to talk to a man like me. I’m not sure if I’ll be a good conversation partner, but I’ll try.“ The hint of a smile was visible on the Symenestra’s pale face for a moment. While the Denvali had been relatively welcoming, outsiders often harboured certain prejudices – and rightfully so.

„I assume you’ve just arrived here?“ Even though Laudus wore a hood – or maybe because of it – the Symenestra was certain that he had never seen him before. Denval was a small, close-knit community. Newcomers attracted attention, especially newcomers whose appearance and behaviour set them apart from the Denvali.

He couldn’t help but wonder if Laudus had come here alone. If he had, he was tougher than he looked. Old people often tended to weak, but a man that had made the journey to the remote little town was anything but weak.
Veldrys
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Laudus on February 2nd, 2012, 12:50 am

Laudus was glad that Veldrys allowed him to seat himself at the table. The nuit didn't really have a sense of embarassment, but if the Sym had rejected him, that would've been the emotion he would've felt. As Laudus sat, he noticed the accent that Veldrys had. He had never met a Sym before, so he put that sound away in case he ever met another. But he wasn't meeting another person today; just this person.

The man mentioned how it was unusual for anyone, especially a stranger, to talk to someone like him. Laudus got the feeling that he said this because of the dislike of Syms. If only the man knew the half of it. And maybe then their roles would be reversed. But Veldrys did not know, so Laudus didn't mention it. Instead he provided assurance. "Son, it is because who you are that I decided to speak with you over anybody else." And with that he stopped speaking, letting it sink in. He didn't hate Syms, and he wanted to know that.

"I have been in Denval for almost two weeks. I'm surprised you hadn't heard; I assume that most information find its way to all the citizens." Laudus paused, considering his next words. He wasn't going to give anything more about himself than what Veldrys was going to give in return. So Laudus' next statement came in the form of the question. "May I ask why a person like you would want to come here, mister. . ." There. Laudus asked his first question while also hinting at an important piece of information. Laudus didn't know the man's name.
Last edited by Laudus on February 3rd, 2012, 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laudus
An Unknown Variable

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Veldrys on February 3rd, 2012, 2:40 pm

„That’s a refreshing change“, the Symenestra remarked as Laudus informed him that he had decided to speak with him because of who he was. „A lot of people decide not to speak to me because of who – and what – I am.“ That was all he said on that matter. He didn’t want to think about certain unpleasant experiences right now, even though all that racism was without a doubt justified. His people had hurt Laudus‘ kind.

„It does“, he confirmed. „But I’m not your usual citizen of Denval. The people here are friendly enough – certainly friendlier than most other surface dwellers I’ve met, but in a way I’ll always be a stranger, and thus I’m often the last person to hear important news. Besides, I tend to spend too much time in the Chapel.“ He smiled a somewhat embarrassed smile. He spent too much time inside sometimes.

„I’m an acolyte“, he explained. „Although I hope to serve my god as a priest before too long.“

„Anyway, I’m Veldrys“, he introduced himself. „I’ve come here to do a bit research. As you may know Denval was isolated for centuries after the Valterrian, and thus it is possible that the Denvali preserved knowledge that was lost elsewhere. Besides, I found out that they pray to Viratas, just as my people do.“

For a moment he considered telling Laudus more, but then he decided not to. It was better if he didn’t find out about all the unpleasant details of Symenestra culture right now, about the other reason for his presence in Denval.

„And you, Sir?“ he wanted to know. „What brought you to Denval? You are different from the usual travellers that find their way here …“
Veldrys
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Laudus on February 4th, 2012, 12:58 am

A good way to earn knowledge from everyday conversation was to get the one you're converseing with to like you. And Laudus felt that telling Veldrys that he didn't let racial differences choose who he spoke with. The nuit could tell in the man's voice that he was happy that he wasn't looked at as a Sym, but as a person. Not that there was any racial differences between the two men. If Laudus fully desired to look like a Sym, all he needed was a corpse. Not that he wanted to be one.

So Laudus sat here, listening to Veldrys speak. First he mentioned how he was usually the last person to hear news due to spending too much time in the Chapel. Laudus didn't question the statement too much; if the man enjoyed worshipping his deities so much that he lost track of time, Laudus did not care. He had no sense of time either, though he couldn't fault any god for it. But Veldrys went on talking, naming himself an acolyte. That peaked the nuit's interest. Athough he didn't quite understand the life of humans, Laudus figured it was better to befriend the higher status in communites. And an acolyte seemed like someone he needed to know. But what god did he worship? If only he knew more about the Sym.

But Veldrys continued to pour his thoughts out, and Laudus did not stop him. The nuit finally learned the man's name, along with the reason that he came to Denval. Laudus knew it had been isolated, a reason why he had chosen this place to travel to, but he had never considered the fact that since they had lived in isolation so long, pre-Valterrian knowledge could still be around here. In a few minutes of meeting Veldrys, Laudus learned so much. Including the tidbit of knowledge that Sym worshipped Viratas. Laudus, caring little for the gods, thought that this god controlled the domain of blood. But other than that, Laudus was clueless. But it was interesting to know the Denval prayed to this god too. He might have to look into that. . .

But before he had any chance to do so, Laudus had some questions to answer of his own. Why did the living have to be as curious as he was? Couldn't they answer questions, and not ask in return? But Veldrys deserved a little knowledge of him, and little was what he was going to give him. "You may call me Laudus, son. As for wishing to come to Denval, I was drawn here because of the isolation. Pre-Valterrian is interesting, but I was in search of a change of scenery. The big city life. . . deadened me and I wished for almost a new life. So I came to Denval."

Veldrys couldn't see Laudus' face, but a small smirk crossed it, forming more wrinkles than usual on the weathered skin. If only the man knew the true meaning underneath his words. He was looking for something new, and Denval was that. Sahova could be considered a big city, if not full of citizens, but his statement could have this man thinking of any city from Lhavit to Zeltiva. A diversion from his past. And his mention of deadening him was just for fun. Why could he not use irony in his words when the man did not know it.

"As for being an abnormal traveler, you could almost call me a scholar. I'm more of a jack of trades instead of a master at any one thing. I dabble in philtering and herbalism, along with poison-making, although I'm not much into killing. Do you might know anyone around Denval who might share same interests as mine?" Ah the joys of worded conversations. Now Laudus would have Veldrys tell him of anyone who can help him learn. Whoever it was that knew, he did not matter. When one sought knowledge, they did not care who the knowledge came from.
Laudus
An Unknown Variable

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Veldrys on February 5th, 2012, 8:23 am

„Laudus then“, Veldrys said and nodded. „I’m pleased to meet you.“ He wished that he were able to see the other man’s face. It was a little strange to talk to somebody when you couldn’t see all of him. He couldn’t help but wonder why Laudus was wearing the hood. Did he suffer from some kind of disease? Was he deformed? Did he have ugly scars? For a moment he considered asking him – he was a doctor and might be able to help – but then he decided not to. Laudus might interpret it as rude, especially since they were still strangers, and he didn’t want to be seen as rude. Maybe he would ask him about it later on.

„I know what you mean“, he remarked as Laudus told him that the big city life deadened him. „I was in the mood for a change of scenery as well, on top of all those other reasons. Kalinor, my home city, is very different from Denval. I wished for a new life as well.“ He didn’t smirk as he said that, but sighed instead.

He hadn’t been able to stand the constant dilemma that his race was facing anymore. Was it right to kill others, to condemn them to a painful death if it was the only way to save your race? Unlike some other, more radical people, he had not opposed the Harvest, but neither had he been willing to participate in it, and he would have been forced to if he had stayd. But as it seemed the curse of the Symenestra had followed him …

Another sigh, and then he shook his head. He hadn’t come to the tavern to wallow in self pity. Instead he focused on what Laudus said. The man seemed to be one of the more interesting travellers that had found their way to Denval recently. As he revealed that he dabbled in herbalism, the hint of a smile was visible on the Symenestra’s face.

„I’m a herbalist as well“, he said. „A herbalist and a healer. I can share my knowledge with you, if that is what you are interested in. Would you like to order anything to eat or drink before we talk about that?“
Veldrys
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Laudus on February 6th, 2012, 11:14 pm

If there was one thing Laudus knew how to do, he could listen. It seemed you learned the most when you opened your ears and closed your mouth. Just by sitting here and listening, he learned that Veldrys lived in Kalinor. Really that little piece of knowledge wasn't a discovery, but if Laudus ever wished to know about the city, he knew where to go. Instead, learning that Veldrys was in fact a herbalist turned about to be what Laudus wished. He had made his statement thinking Veldrys could point him in the direction of someone who understood the subject, but in fact he knew about it himself. A good turn of events for Laudus.

But oh how something could go from good to bad so quickly. Why did he have to ask him that he wished to buy food or drink? Really it shouldn't be a big deal if he decided not to eat. But the last time this situation arose, an old man used his gnosis and forced him to reveal his identity. But there was no need to waste gold on something he didn't need to survive. So with a dismissive hand, Laudus said, "I can pass on nourishment for the moment. Our discussion interests me more than food and a mug of ale. Never was much of a drinker, even in my younger days." There was no lie in his statement. Their discussion interested him more than food, and he didn't drink ale even when he was younger. Not that he really had younger days. Young implied when he was three hundred years old.

"I do hope I don't bore you, Master Veldrys, as my knowledge of herbs isn't what you call extensive. I am familar with the flora of Kalea, but even that knowledge isn't impressive. Where would you like to begin our discussion?" Laudus didn't consider himself a manipulator with his words, but he had proven himself he knew how to do so tonight. Choosing a topic himself carried the possibility that Veldrys did not know. Instead he gave him the floor to talk about whatever he wished. So of course Veldrys would discuss a topic with which he was familar with to show he knew what he was talking about. Which meant Laudus was going to learn something knew.

Non-nuit were very interesting creatures in the eyes of Laudus. Very interesting.
Laudus
An Unknown Variable

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Veldrys on February 7th, 2012, 7:59 pm

„I see“, Veldrys remarked as Laudus told him that he could pass on nourishment for the moment. „I’ve foregone food and drink in favour of an interesting discussion myself every now and then, even if such behaviour is slightly unhealthy. I hope you do not mind if I do at least finish my meal though. These fruit are delicious, and I likely won’t have the opportunity to eat later on.“ As he said this, he cut one of the fruit on his plate into small slices, all the same size, with a surgeon’s precision and put one of them into his mouth.

„I’m not much of a drinker myself“, he said once he had swallowed the slice. „Alcohol especially tends to cloud your mind and impair your judgement which can have desastrous consequences for a doctor. And do not call me ‚Master Veldrys‘. I’m not that old yet. ‚Veldrys‘ will suffice. I should be the one to call you Master.“ He smiled slightly as he said this.

„I’m sure you have accumulated a certain amount of knowledge in your life and possess far more experience than I do. I’m mostly familiar with the flora of Kalea myself. As for where I would like to begin our discussion, that depends on what you know. I don’t want to bore you with things you have already heard of. Do you know how to make potions? Can you tell poisonous plants from edible ones? Do you have any experience in medicine?“
Veldrys
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Laudus on February 8th, 2012, 11:51 pm

It was nice that Veldrys didn't question further about Laudus skipping food while they talked. It was better if they didn't want to know why he wore the hood or didn't eat. Well he didn't care if they all wanted to know; Just as long as he didn't have to comply with their wishes, they could come up with every rumor imaginable. But Laudus wasn't going to ruin this man's meal that he had already ordered and paid for. "By all means, son, eat your food. I didn't come here to starve you."

Veldrys also mentioned how he didn't drink alcohol very often, as it clouded his judgement. Along with that simple statement, Laudus learned more of this Veldrys. He was a doctor of sorts, most likely basing his practice out of the temple he worked at. And he also stated that he wasn't very old. Laudus had never met a Sym before that he could clearly recall, so he didn't have anyone else to compare Veldrys too. He did appear young though. Laudus didn't like young bodies. They didn't carry the same scholarly feeling that he preferred. So no, he wasn't here shopping for his next body.

Veldrys alost spoke modestly about his knowledge, stating that Laudus knew more just because he looked old. Judge someone by who they are inside instead of what they appear to be. Looks are decieving sometimes. But he might as well answer the questions Veldrys asked. Answers might help the Sym decide on a topic they could both enjoy.

"Yes I have dabbled in making potions. I'm uncertain that I could determine whether plant was edible or not. And no I don't have any experience with medicine." Laudus paused, considering what to say next. "Personally, the poisonous plants of Kalea interest me the most. Like I said, I have knowledge of the flora of Kalea. But after I tell you the name of it, I'm lost. What knowledge do you have on some poisonous plants nearby, Veldrys?"

Hopefully Veldrys wouldn't notice he was just funneling knowledge to Laudus. Most wasn't important to most people. But all knowledge was important to Laudus, no matter how small or large. Knowledge was power, and Veldrys was helping Laudus become more powerful.
Laudus
An Unknown Variable

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next