Looking for an Inn (Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Looking for an Inn (Open)

Postby Fallan Windchaser on March 28th, 2010, 1:52 pm

Spring 28, 510

It was the Drykas first trip to the city, a trip some had advised him against, regalling him with the horrors of the beer and that there was little to be had to eat. But he'd heard too that it was a city of some wealth, so even if most had little then there would be some with coin to spend. He hoped too that perhaps others might have been put off by the cities reputation and just maybe there was a way to make money here.

For now though he stood in the city streets, rein in hand as his horse waited patiently beside him and wondered where he might find stabling and somewhere which would have a real roof, to make a change from his tent.
Fallan Windchaser
Rider in the dark

Words: 231014
Joined roleplay: August 2nd, 2009, 12:46 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
2013 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Re: Looking for an Inn (Open)

Postby Hadrian on March 28th, 2010, 6:27 pm

After meeting with Hrair earlier that day, Hadrian had a lot to think about and he decided to take a walk, stimulating his blood into stimulating his thoughts. Nearly an hour into his aimless journey, he found himself standing on a street corner and looking at a man and a horse. When he came back to himself, he decided the man was probably Drykas, which would mean that fine horse was a Cyphrusian Strider. He admired the horse for a moment, then looked at the human companion, who looked lost.

Deciding to play the good Syliran, he walked up to the odd couple.

"Hello," he said, getting the man's attention. "Are you lost?"
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Fallan Windchaser on March 28th, 2010, 7:04 pm

Fallan had been staring about somewhat aimlessly had noted even so the approach of the other man. He didn't realise that Hadrian had mistaken his rather ordinary horse for the more special one that one day, perhaps, Fallan might be lucky enough to have as a partner but even so Hadrian had identified him well enough.

"Hello," he replied with a wry grin. "So it seems, I was looking for an Inn where I could find stabling for my horse but so far I don't seem able to find one."

He left it to the stranger to perhaps offer to suggest one but he was grateful for the approach else otherwise he'd had to end up asking for it.
Fallan Windchaser
Rider in the dark

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Hadrian on March 28th, 2010, 7:32 pm

[My bad! I assumed a Drykas would have a Strider. We'll just chalk it up to Hadrian not being too knowledgeable about horses.]

"You must have had your eyes closed when you entered the city," he replied with a laugh. "There are lots of inns there catering to travelers. Or did you come by sea?"

The Mirahil Pass seemed the most likely route for a Drykas; he didn't think they were too keen on traveling by boat when they had perfectly good horses, but what did he know?

"I can help you find one," he offered. "Did you have any particular criteria other than stables?"
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Fallan Windchaser on March 28th, 2010, 8:14 pm

His eyes narrowed a little as the man laughed at him for few would like being the butt of a joke and yet, if it were true and he'd indeed walked past what he'd been looking for then he could hardly complain.

And yet he didn't like to admit being a fool, "well you might be right he replied, "but no I didn't come by way of the docks. A decent Inn is all I require but when I came in I was more interested in other things than the Inn and in any case I prefer a recommendation, somewhere which is actually going to look after my horse and not try to sell it and then claim it was stolen." He knew food was short sometimes in this city and he didn't care to add temptation to avarice.

ooc: I don't think a Strider would fit within the 200 miza allowance for a starting horse, and anyway, it fits the history :P
Fallan Windchaser
Rider in the dark

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Hadrian on March 28th, 2010, 8:47 pm

When the man didn't laugh along with him, he sobered, at least outwardly. He had never stayed in an inn while in Zeltiva; there had been no need. But his father had a factor in town and, luckily for this Drykas man, Hadrian was always trying to improve his memory. As a result, he remembered the man mentioning several inns where honest coin paid for honest services.

"Well, I know of one relatively nearby. I'll take you."

He was walking aimlessly anyway, and the man was a newcomer and thus more likely to get lost. But he seemed proud, and the Drykas were known for that, so he did not imply that the man might lose his way.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Fallan Windchaser on March 28th, 2010, 9:14 pm

It seemed that the man was willing to lead him, which was good considering all things. He remained wary because this man might yet turn out to be a rogue, and yet he didn't seem so.

"I'll thank you kindly for that," he replied stepping forward, a motion his horse also complied with without need for further instruction.

"My name is Fallan, and I'm here looking for business, how is the city these days?"
Fallan Windchaser
Rider in the dark

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Hadrian on March 28th, 2010, 10:11 pm

"I'm Hadrian," he said.

Hadrian's student robes would surely make thievery difficult; they weren't really made for action. He considered the man's query for a few moments as they began walking.

"An acquaintance of mine just made quite a bit of money selling a catch of fish during a stormy day when nobody else was able to sail. We get most things by boat here, because the mountains are treacherous and land routes long. But there are sometimes food shortages, and not every Zeltivan likes a constant diet of seafood. I suppose anything you could bring from the mountains might sell."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Fallan Windchaser on March 28th, 2010, 10:30 pm

"Pleased to meet you Hadrian," he responded, his mood lifting now that they were moving again and behind him the shod hooves of the horse rang softly in the street.

The information made sense and it triggered new thoughts in his mind. That mountain pass had been hard and he wouldn't want to be trying to bring in a heavy cargo that route. The sea would be the obvious way to bring supplies into the city and surely all food came that way. Perhaps it explained the stranglehold on food and why it was so scarce.

"The mountain pass was spectacular, that I'll grant you," he said. "Do you get much in the way of food other than seafood through the docks then? It sounds like your friend was very skilled to have achieved that." He wondered if it was the common view that the mountains were too treacherous as a supply route; perhaps it was based on experience.

"I'd like to buy you a drink at the Inn if you'd accept that," he said forgetting what he'd been warned about the beer here.
Fallan Windchaser
Rider in the dark

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Hadrian on March 28th, 2010, 11:36 pm

"Well, my father is a merchant based out of Syliras so what I know is mostly based on what I picked up from him and from living here... He always said it was difficult to arrange things such that ferrying cargo all the way around Eyktol by sea. So most of Zeltiva's sea trade comes by way of Lisnar and Sunberth. So that's where a lot of grain and produce come from. It's just... well, you saw the pass. It's not the easiest route, but traders do come through..."

He wished more traders would come through the pass; it would increase the variety of goods in town, and if he was anybody, he would have told the Lord of Council that they needed to construct granaries to stockpile salted foods against the next food shortage.

"Well, here's the inn," he said, indicating the place. "I won't turn down a drink, but I hope you're ready for kelp beer. It doesn't suit most palates."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Next