[Flashback] Late Night Arcana III (Solo)

[Wright Memorial Library] A return to the library, with a little investigation.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Eridanus on March 7th, 2012, 10:17 am

Staring at the shield intensely to prevent it from disappearing, he began to tap into the core of his soul, bringing up energy to feed his magical sight. Blinking several times as he fed a tiny portion of djed into his eyes, he opened his eyes to see the aura of the shield, and the magnificence of it amazed him.

This shield was formed with highly dense djed, and if his physical vision could already see a highly detailed version of the djed, his enhanced sight could detect even more detailed information. In fact, there was so much information that he could not possible process all on time before the shield disappeared or before he slipped into overgiving. Instead, he had to be content with analyzing the outcome of the shields to ensure that his tasking had succeeded, and upon confirming it for the other two portions of the shields he cut the flow of djed to his eyes, shutting down his access to auristics.

Even as he did so, he began to feel a chill within his bones, and he was not sure if it was due to overgiving or if it was due to something else. Either way, his shield began flickering from this diversion of concentration, and he heard a noticeable thud in the direction that came from where he placed his jar of soulmist.

Glancing up sharply, he stepped up quickly, the shield disappearing along with the glyphs evaporating into thin air as his arm became clear from the temporary tattoo that was the ink. He half-jogged to that area between the shelves, and found the jar lying by its side, balanced precariously on the edge of the ledge. The lid was on the floor, and the soulmist within was no longer there.

He grabbed the jar before it dropped and crashed on to the ground, and screwed the lid on, using his other hand to rearrange the books on the shelves more neatly as they had been slightly messed about the last time he saw them.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Eridanus on March 7th, 2012, 10:21 am

Returning to his seat, he felt another chill throughout his body as he took in a new sight of ink being splattered over the desk again.

Thanks - 7d

The words were untidily scrawled like last time, and the ethaefal had to blink several times to make sure he was not dreaming. He looked at the words carefully, and it seemed to be a code at something.

Looking around warily, he felt the uneasy chill in his body slowly disappear, and then after a while it was gone, and he felt normal again. His mental state now in a more ordinary one, he took another look at the ink to make sure that he really saw it, and jotted down the words in his notebook, next to what he had written down regarding the first message for later analysis.

Packing his things in his back, he scrubbed the ink away from the table before it fully dried, using the piece of rag he brought along specifically for this purpose. He had hoped that the rag would not be used and brought it more as an after-thought, but apparently he was wrong.

It was not paranoia.

It was a spirit.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Echelon on March 11th, 2012, 6:13 pm

Adventurer's Loot

A Gift
Experience is it's own reward.

Eridanus' Loot :
Eridanus

Skill XP Reward
Investigation +2XP
Spiritism +2XP
Glyphing +2XP
Auristics +2XP
Shielding +2XP
Drawing +1XP
Cooking +1XP

Lore:
Auristics: Using Magic Sparingly, Book: Common Household Recipes for Soulmist by Albert Dunn, Book: Guidelines to Basic Shield Tasking by Zeltiva University Press, Spirtism: Checking for Spirits

Items or Consequences:
-8sm for ingredients, taking into account it took a few tries considering being low novice level in applicable skills.
Skin on the left arm will have a few dozen firm spots, resembling the feel of a cancerous growth, which are very tender and last three days.
The ink will only partially wash off for two days, and smell especially pungent of ink even as it fades.
Your body will be slightly colder for one day, and you will have a craving for sugary foods and drinks.
Notes on the spirit's message.

Notes: Ok, I'm guessing you're prolly pretty bummed about not getting everything you put into this out. Let me explain why I gave you what I did. Starting with skills, especially Glyphing. Eridanus has 11 points in Glyphing, he is a novice. A novice can do what you wrote Eridanus doing in this thread, but it would take him days if not weeks to master it, there is bound to be some hick-ups, and it is unlikely he is going to be able to draw it all perfectly the first time. So, since the production and efficiency of the Glyphing was so easy I subtracted two from Glyphing at would be four, leaving you with two for your amazing writing on the process.
Then there is the relevant Lores. Eridanus does get the theory behind all those Glyping Lores you asked for, but he is going to need some more time and trial and error to get them for good. Not to mention breaking the steps down to test each one individually before stacking them.
Auristics was well written, though lacking a bit on what exactly he saw. You got one point for using it, and a bonus point for realizing when NOT to use it. This is a big step in any magic in Mizahar, and deserves a point.
Yes, Investigation was used. You had a question you did your research then went tot he scene of the phenomenon to investigate further in an intelligent and well thought out manner. And it was rewarding indeed. On top of that you gathered even more clues beyond that which you had prepared for. Eridanus could make quite the detective.
Shielding got two points for it's equally specific writing as the Glyphing, but including a few sentences on how difficult it still is for Eridanus.
The physical side effects. You're lucky I didn't clot your blood :p As a Novice Eridanus should really consider practicing on paper, not his skin. Though Shielding is NOT a very dangerous magic, when run through and along the body it can do some funky stuff if channeled improperly. These physical side effects are to show that Eridanus has work to do on his Glyphing, that there are some flaws throughout it. This is not over-giving so much as mistakes in Glyphing, as a result of being "over ambitious." As well as an attempt to teach Eridanus that Glyphing on your skin needs to be flawless, not a place to just practice.

Ok, comment. This was great, I mean really I enjoyed it a lot and it actually helped me get a better grip on how I want to write Glyphing if I ever have a character that does it. I know it may look like I unappreciated your Glyphing, but I didn't. The writing was great, technical, thorough, descriptive, exactly what I would want from Glyphing writing. I have totally respect for your writing. What is lacked? Personality, and adherence to your character's skill. Next time please spend more time describing the faults your character has, experience is nothing if you never fail. Sometimes you make a mistake that forces you to start over. Also, Eridanus needs to learn to take his time. Study one Glyphing element at a time, then combine them once you know for sure each works, that's how one learns. Eridanus had his own challenges and strengths, make sure you describe each one in detail. (It will get you more XP than getting ahead of yourself) - if you have ANY questions or concerns about this grading, don't hesitate to PM me.
Echelon
Pew~Pew!!

Words: 238180
Joined roleplay: March 9th, 2012, 5:21 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook

Previous