The Uses of Honey

(solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

The Uses of Honey

Postby Lixue on March 14th, 2012, 1:50 am

Fall
Day 13
511 AV

"Why does your mum need all of this stuff, anyways?"
Ly groaned, hands overflowing with a wide variety spices and seasonings. Clad in a loose, cotton shirt and dirty breeches, he looked like he had just come from the barn. A lone piece of yellow straw stuck out from his black hair, an accidental decoration claiming him from the Frostfawn Hold. Narrow, thin shoulders were held straight, a sign of confidence. Currently, he was leaning down to peer at Lixue, who was over a foot shorter than him.

"Personal space, please,"
Lixue told him, reaching out to pluck the piece of straw out of his purple highlighted hair. "...and next time at least wash up before meeting me." Teasing, taunting, she held up the straw in triumph. Ly sputtered, looking flabbergasted. "I know, I know what you're going to say; 'But you dragged me from the animals!' Am I right?" Jaw still slack, he nodded. "I so knew it." A pause as Lixue struggled to reach higher on the shelf. The honey was at the top. Who in their right mind would place honey at the top of a shelf in a breakable container?

Unable to fathom the logic, Lixue's smile turned into a pout. Instead of trying to balance on her tip-toes even more, she turned a pleading look on Ly, whose facial expression was akin to that of a child caught sneaking a snack before meal time. With an amused sigh, he easily plucked the honey off the shelf and placed it in Lixue's hands. "Sure, sure. Do not give me a chance to refuse," he murmured a nickname in Vani that Lixue could not translate, "just turn those looks on me without warning."

Poking him in the chest, she playfully threatened, "Don't you call me names in a different language, mister!" Lixue placed the jar of honey into his already overflowing arms with a huff. "To answer your earlier question, mum needs these for her healing. She claims they work wonders in many ways." A snort. "I say she should have been born a chef."

Ly's eyes matched Lixue's green ones. A sure sign of amusement. However, a hint of purple played inside of them. As they moved down the row, he questioned, "What does she say, little one?" At Lixue's faux glare, he amended, "What does she say, wise one?" A quick laugh from her twisted Ly's lips up. Someone, nearby, was muttering under their breath about thyme. Lixue tapped them on the shoulder and, with a warm smile, quietly pointed them in the right direction. The individual walked off without responding with any type of appreciation. "Why do you insist on helping others if they do not even say thank you?"

Whirling around to face Ly, Lixue shrugged without remorse. "If we did not help each other, there would be no one in the time of," a pause as Lixue searched her memory for the right word, "emergency? Yes. Emergency." Calm and quiet, she tapped Ly on the nose. "You. You give me too much credit. I do not insist on helping others. I want to help them. People deserve to be happy. You see?" Brushing a strand of hair behind her ear, Lixue tilted her head at him. "Let me explain differently." Nose scrunching in thought, she tried to put her need to assist others into a metaphor he might understand. "When you see a young animal, say, trying to climb stairs, would you not be," another pause as she tried to think of the right word, "compelled to aid them?"

Readjusting the honey in his arms, Ly retorted, "No. Most animals should not go up stairs. Why would I help a creature do something they are not supposed to?" Shaking her head in exasperation, Lixue continued down the shelf. Ly followed after her. Even though Lixue was not upset, Ly hesitantly offered a branch of peace, "Why does your mother need… honey?"
"This is Common"
"This is Vani"

I am interested in learning new languages. If you are interested in teaching your language, please contact me. Thank you.
Lixue
The Amputator

Words: 329233
Joined roleplay: January 9th, 2012, 3:30 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

The Uses of Honey

Postby Lixue on March 14th, 2012, 1:52 am

Recalling the reason, she explained, "Mum claims it keeps a wound from festering." Nose scrunching again, Lixue's free hand dramatically tossed into the air. To clarify how the herbs and seasonings helped, she felt as though a teacher might. The warm feeling was not unwelcome. "For example; if somebody from the Winterflame Hold cut their hand real bad, someone from my hold could place honey on the sore before bandaging it. If the," Lixue 'aha'd!' as she found the Turmeric, "method is to be used, the dressing would be changed every few bells the first day, then normally once a day after that." Upon seeing the price of turmeric, she placed it back on the shelf. Her mother would have to come and buy it. Lixue did not want to take the chance of breaking it and forcing her family to spend more than necessary.

Lixue explained the turmeric powder as she scouted for lemon balm. "This powder comes from the root of a plant, I have heard. It can help with bruises, feminine cramps, mouth problems, and many more. Since the powder is yellowish, it can stain the hands and color clothes. I have eaten this before; the dust can be placed on top of food or mixed in. Peppery and somewhat bitter is what it tastes like." Lixue flushed pink when registering the blank look on Ly's face. "I rambled, did I not?"

"Yes, yes you did, short stuff," he answered. "Is this all we need?"

"Lemon balm, then we may go." The lemon balm was on the bottom shelf. Lixue's height came in handy as she only had to bend down to pick it up it up instead of crouching or squatting like anyone taller would have to. "Let's see… Mum wanted turmeric, honey, salt, lemon balm, cinnamon and sugar. The turmeric costs too much, so we'll only buy the other five." Making their way towards the clerk, Lixue handed over three gold mizas. Pocketing the change, the pair made their way from the market; Lixue carrying the honey and lemon balm in one arm. The other was used for her cane.

Pursing her lips, Lixue began to whistle. It was a simple tune, high pitched and quiet. The silence between the pair was comfortable. If a bystander had watched them walk away, one might believe them to be more than friends. The space between their two bodies was nearly invisible, her elbow less than a thumb length away from his hip. From years of practice, both moved at the same pace. Lixue took more steps and Ly unconsciously shortened his strides. She was standing on his left side, him on her right. This may have been because of the chance of falling and having him there to keep from doing so. Perhaps not.

The walk back to the Frostfawn Hold, where Lixue had dragged Ly from, was quick. Snow fell around the two and by the time the hold loomed in front of them, Lixue's hair was looked more white than black. "You look like one of the children's snow monsters," he teased, mussing up her hair with a free hand. She swatted him away with a chuckle. "How do you expect to carry these bags back," the unknown nickname flew from his lips again. "Hm?"

ledgerSugar- 1 gm, lb
Salt-1 cm, oz
Cinnamon- 1 gm, oz
Lemon Balm-2 sm, oz
Honey- 1 sm, pot
---------
2 gm, 4 sm
Last edited by Lixue on March 14th, 2012, 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This is Common"
"This is Vani"

I am interested in learning new languages. If you are interested in teaching your language, please contact me. Thank you.
Lixue
The Amputator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Uses of Honey

Postby Lixue on March 14th, 2012, 1:54 am

Someone strutted past them towards the hold. Ly stepped forwards to move out of the way. His foot slipped on ice and white flooded his eyes even as a surprised expression overtook Ly's face. The bags of cinnamon and salt slipped from his grasp and landed in the snow, unharmed. The sugar Ly managed to hang onto, though at the cost of smashing his elbow on the hard ground in an attempt to catch himself. Eyes wide as saucers, Lixue watched as blood began running down his arm. It seemed Ly had scraped the skin for a nearly half of his lower arm, not to mention the elbow and the few inches above.

Having been raised around the sight of blood, Lixue's mind was thinking quickly in only a matter of ticks. Scooping the bags of spices up to keep the snow from soaking into them, she struggled to hold onto four things in one arm. "C'mon, up you go," she encouraged softly, nudging Ly with her cane. Appearing dazed, he made his way back to standing. Ly was cupping his elbow where blood twisted between his fingers. "Let's go inside. I'll get that fixed up for you." Soothing and business-like was the tone of Lixue's voice. After a jerky nod, she led the way inside.

Many individuals stared; a pale girl laden down with spices followed by a tall guy bleeding from the elbow? Most likely a rare sight in the Frostfawn Hold. Having been there many times before, she was able to find her way to Ly's room without trouble. Despite her first thought's, Ly was not as dazed as he seemed. Instead of forcing Lixue to open the door, he did so with a wince. Directing him towards the bed, she was quick to set the herbs and spices down on the small table. Afterwards, she took the sugar from him and placed it next to the others.

Thankfully, Ly had a basin to wash his face with. "Stay," Lixue commanded him as though he were an animal. His room was close enough to the outside to where Lixue simply left her cane behind. Taking the basin with her, she made her way, slowly, back outside and filled it with snow. Tapping into the mark Morwen had given her, Lixue concentrated on the fluff. Within moments the basin was half full of water. It was not a quick process to go back to the room. By the time she was back inside the arvinta, Lixue's breath was short.

After setting the basin on the floor next to the bed, Lixue looked for cloth. "You would not happen to just keep bandages handy, would you?" she joked weakly. A shake of Ly's head confirmed the denial. "Didn't think so." A pause. "Would you mind if I were to use one of your shirts?" A pause as he nodded. "Thank you." Lixue decided on using one of the more worn shirts in his dresser. Setting it next to him on the bed, she kneeled down. This much walking hurt her damaged leg.

"Gonna play doctor, hmm?" Ly joked, color returning to his face. Still cupping his bleeding elbow, he obediently held it out when asked. "Why are you using cold water instead of heating it up? What are exactly are you going to do?" Ly questioned, worry tinged his voice.

Using both hands, Lixue ripped the shirt into three long strips and one short one. The long scraps were set off to the side. Dipping the shorter cloth into the basin full of chilled water, she gently pried his hand off of the wound. "First, I'm going to clean it." A pause as she used both hands to rinse the rag out. "I am using cold water for several reasons. Firstly, heating it up would take too long. Secondly, the chill will reduce any swelling," Lixue informed him soothingly. "Do you not trust me?" she questioned tauntingly, shooting a laughing smile towards him.
"This is Common"
"This is Vani"

Lixue
The Amputator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Uses of Honey

Postby Lixue on March 14th, 2012, 1:57 am

Holding the rag in a ball and his arm in the other hand, she gently blotted at the area. Blood rinsed away, running in driblets down his arm. Lixue moved the appendage so the drops would land in the basin. For a moment, all she could hear was the steady breathing of Ly and the swish! Of the rag in the basin as she rinsed it.

Squeezing the water out, the barely grown woman continued dabbing at the sore. The basin's liquid was turning a light crimson. Lixue was careful of the torn edges of the scrape. Brushing too hard against them created a large possibility of them bleeding again. To keep this from happening, she used a tip of the rag to gently wipe inwards toward the wound, instead of outwards.

Ly seemed to relax. The muscles were still tense in his arm, but his breathing was more even and his searching gaze was no longer pinned on her face. Purple, brown and a hint of yellow were mixed into the eyes trained on her busy hands. Along with pain. Unlike a few moments ago, he did not seem as unsure of letting Lixue clean and bandage the wound. "Tell me," he addressed the room dramatically, "am I going to live?"

"Yes, you will, oldie." A hint of laughter lurked in Lixue's voice. Shifting to balancing on her toes, she proceeded to try and get up. However, Ly laid a hand on her hand and lightly pushed her back down. Though she would not admit it, Lixue was grateful. Her knee was throbbing.

"What do you need?" A query with open ends if there ever was one. Since the pair were so close, the woman's mind never even toyed with the thought of what the question could have meant to a different female. Nodding when Lixue informed him of the honey, he retrieved the item before choosing to sit on the floor diagonal from her. Idly, the pale Vantha dabbed at a few beads of blood that had spurted. Applying soft pressure and waiting several ticks before removing the rag and repeating, Lixue was pleased to see the bleeding stop quite quickly. "Why are you… doing what you are doing?"

Dealing with a wound alongside upholding a conversation in another language was difficult. Choosing to answer first, then continue on in the process, Lixue informed him, "I am doing this because.. Um.." blinking her green eyes, she tried to think of the right way to say the process in Vani. "When I push down it will stop bleeding."

Gripping the honey jar between her left knee and leg, Lixue used one hand to pop the lid off. Dunking two fingers into the sticky mess, she wasted no time in wiping the honey onto Ly's wound. Lixue made sure to cover the whole area because the honey itself would help prevent infection and help the healing procedure. The wound was half the length of Ly's lower arm and slightly up the back of his upper arm. To spread the sweet treat so far took several dips into the honey jar. Without worrying about whether washing off all the honey was necessary, Lixue swished her fingers around in the basin.

Holding the scrap of shirt in both hands with her fingers around a hand-width apart, Lixue placed it firmly on the top of Ly's lower arm, parallel with the wound. Holding two fingers under the strip, she rolled the fabric towards her before under and further up the sore. Before the end was reached, one third of the sore was covered in overlapping fabric, she shifted the strip the back towards the beginning and tucked it under one of the previous laps. Though not sturdy and perhaps a bit too tight, the bandage would hold. Lixue repeated the process with the other two strips. She did not wrap on the inside of the arm across from the elbow. To do so, if Ly were to shut his appendage, would cut off circulation.

Barely noticing the room had become silent, Lixue jumped when Ly spoke unexpectedly, "What now?" A simple question and yet she barely caught the undercurrent of… What was the timber tremor to his voice? She labeled it worry. The situation called for it.

Capping the honey and rinsing out the used wash rag, Lixue searched her mind for the right answer. Within the time it took to give the rag another squeeze, she calmly replied, "My mother, of course." A pause. "Do not look so shocked. We are from the Whitevine Hold, after all. Besides, you can help me carry all the seasonings home." Lixue neatly folded the wet scrap. "If you're not too much of a cripple, that is!" Ly retaliated by sticking his tongue out at her. "Are your fingers… What is the right word… Tingly? Yes, tingly."

"A little bit, but not bad."

Apologetically, Lixue shrugged. "I have not quite mastered wrapping yet," she told Ly. When she proceeded to move to her feet and stumble because the right knee was not used to the weight, Ly had already risen. He wrapped a friendly arm around her waist and helped hoist her up, being kind enough to keep his arm around her until she was balanced. A purple color was dancing in his eyes. "Come along, let's head to mum and get that checked out." The water basin was left where it was as the pair spread the seasonings out between them and headed to the Whitevine Hold.

Just another day of honey.
"This is Common"
"This is Vani"

Lixue
The Amputator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

The Uses of Honey

Postby Creeper on April 9th, 2012, 2:12 am

Skills
Persuasion: 1
Leadership: 1
Teaching: 2
Organization: 1
Bodybuilding: 1
Medicine: 3

Lores
Vani: Nickname
Medicine: Using Honey to Prevent Festering
Medicine: Using Turmeric Powder
Medicine: Using a Shirt as a Bandage
Medicine: Cleaning a Scrape

Other
-1 GM for Pound of Sugar
-1 CM for Ounce of Salt
-1 GM for Ounce of Cinnamon
-2 SM for Ounce of Lemon Balm
-1 SM for Pot of Honey

Total: 2 GM, 3 SM, 1 CM

A very enjoyable read! I love medicinal threads, especially clever ones such as this. Your math was a bit off, and since I double checked the calculations, you saved money. I hope to see more purple eyes in the future!
Creeper
My Bark is Worse Than My Bite

Words: 261058
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Location: DS of The Spires, Northern Wastes, and Overseeing Avanthal
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes