[Zeltiva] Every Bit Helps (Open)

In which Tallis goes herb-hunting to help alleviate the medical ailments of the Zeltivans

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Tallis on March 20th, 2012, 12:29 pm

OOCMods, feel free to interject!

Spring, Day 21, 512 AV

Although two weeks had already passed since the Djed storm had hit, the people of Zeltiva still suffered greatly from the after-effects. The local infirmary had taken a hit and was putting up a valiant effort to accommodate all of Zeltiva’s ailing citizens, but clearly the effort just wasn’t enough. Tallis had offered his assistance, but going around dolling out cups of water wasn’t his idea of help. Luckily, Tallis found a job opportunity more suited to him in the form of a dwindling medical supply. The shipments from Syliras were still on their way, and the clinic had already begun delving into its reserve supplies. So Tallis had volunteered to help in the creation of herbal remedies by gathering plants from the Zastoska Mountains.

Tallis had spent his childhood growing up in Zeltiva and knew the city, and its surroundings, quite well. He knew that the mountains would be dangerous to climb after the stormy weather, but Tallis had faith in his abilities. As he stepped into the densely forested area that would open up to the foot of the mountains, Tallis checked his supplies. A nurse had been kind enough to supply Tallis with all the materials he would need. This included a pair of thick gardening gloves and a large rucksack filled with small drawstring bags for storing the herbs he collected. She had also given him a small notebook which Tallis was now examining under the light of the afternoon sun that filtered through the leafy canopy. Opening the notebook to the first marked page, Tallis read the looping handwriting aloud:

Saffron, and Yarrow,
    And Marjoram too,
    All reduce fever
    And make you fell new.

All three of these herbs,
    Are lovers of light,
    Look in the forest,
    You should be alright.

Tallis smiled at the tacky poem and wondered how the author had found enough time on her hands to actually create a limerick for remembering the uses of the herbs and how to find them. Looking to the next page though, Tallis could easily see that the author’s artistic skill more than made up for her poetic inclinations. On the page opposite the rhyming verse, the three herbs mentioned had been drawn in great detail with meticulous statistics written in beside them. Tallis recognized Marjoram and Yarrow well enough since his mother had grown them in her own backyard due to her fondness for their aromatic leaves. Making up his mind to search for those two herbs first, Tallis tucked the notebook back in the rucksack and began his search into the forest.

As he stepped into a particularly shady section of the woods, a sudden gust of cool air set Tallis on edge. He stopped mid-step and began to survey his surroundings. He clearly felt like he was being watched or that there was another presence close by, but he couldn’t be quite sure. He had heard the rumors of misshapen creatures created by the rains of the Djed storm and he realized that he should have come out more prepared. Perhaps he should’ve had someone accompany him, but it was too late now. Alone but not unarmed, Tallis let dense Res flow into his arms and legs. He prayed to the Gods that whatever was in the forest with him meant him no harm, but if it held ill intentions, Tallis was prepared to confront it.

OOCBefore you post, know that I will be away the 23rd to 26th. I will also be on a trip to Europe (with a laptop) from April 4th – 13th. On top of catching up on schoolwork and regular schoolwork, my replies may be quite sporadic, but I will try my best to reply! And yes, there will be more “poems”.
Tallis
Player

Words: 131572
Joined roleplay: March 13th, 2012, 3:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Saeriel on March 21st, 2012, 9:50 pm

Spring, Day 21, 512 AV

Saeriel, after some thought, decided that today she would hunt, not necessarily for food, but for the fun and maybe even a little because of her urge for violence today. She'd heard stories of misshapen creatures following the Djed Storm but she wasn't concerned. She killed one misshapen creature already and she wasn't going to let stories frighten her out of sport, and maybe some extra food, if she found something worth taking back to her cottage in Zeltiva.

Saeriel was walking along a ridge above one of the paths when, following her jumping over a fallen and scorched tree, three things happened. The first was that she felt a chill, no doubt one of the strange effects of the Storm and the lingering Djed pools. The Second was that she saw movement on the path of something resembling a human, that abruptly halted, Saeriel thought that it must have also felt the chill in the air. The third was that she saw movement of, something as she was unsure of what it was, across the path in the other side of the woods coming towards her and the person on the path. Saeriel could feel in her body, as her muscles tensed, that whatever was on the other side of the forest was not friendly. She pulled an arrow from her quiver, carefully put it on the bow and than drew the string of her family's bow back. At the same time she crouched down and raised the bow ready to take aim.

The creature, whatever it once was, burst out of the forest onto the path and Saeriel took aim and fired an arrow hitting the creature in the thigh and knocking it down momentarily. Saeriel cursed and quickly drew another arrow from her quiver, drew it back and, now that the creature had moved, sent an arrow whizzing over whoever or whatever was standing on the path. The second arrow was dead on, hitting the creature in the chest killing it. Saeriel stayed crouched for a moment however and surveyed the tree line again making sure nothing else was coming. Seeing that there was nothing else Saeriel stood up and slung the bow across her back and jumped down from the ridge line walking out onto the path ignoring the, as she had a better look now, person and walked over to the creature. The creature was most definitely dead and so she walked up to the person and, pulling her hood down, spoke:

"You should be more careful sir and you probably shouldn't be out here alone. It's gotten much more dangerous following the storm. My question to you is, What are you doing out here?"

Last edited by Saeriel on March 24th, 2012, 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saeriel
The Disappearing One

Words: 9191
Joined roleplay: March 20th, 2012, 4:08 am
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Tallis on March 21st, 2012, 11:15 pm

Tallis saw the malformed creature crash through the trees, but before he could make a move towards or away from it, an arrow lodged itself in the monster’s thigh. An arrow could only mean that an archer was present, and if someone was shooting deadly pointy sticks, Tallis did NOT want to be in the way. Taking a step back as the creature righted itself and charged towards him once more, Tallis narrowly missed being hit by a second arrow.

The pointed projectile slid easily into the creature’s chest, effectively killing it. Tallis watched as it lay silently on the forest floor and then turned his attention towards finding his savior. A young lady materialized from above a ridge and came over to examine the creature, removing her hood and turning to face him, she spoke.

"You should be more careful sir and you probably shouldn't be out here alone. It's gotten much more dangerous following the storm. My question to you is, What are you doing out here?"

“You’re right about being more careful. But I need to gather herbs for the infirmary.” Leaning back down to examine the creature, Tallis removed the two arrows, wiped them clean on the forest floor, and handed them back to the archer. “They’re running out of medical supplies there, and it’s awfully depressing being around the injured all the time, so I decided to come out here instead.”

Holding his hands above the bleeding wounds where the arrows had entered, Tallis began analyzing the Djed leaking from the wounds. He wasn’t a practitioner of Auristics, but he could still do his best to analyze the creature’s aura. He knew that the creature had been created from the Djed storms, so he was prepared for an unusual feeling, but this was far more terrible than anything that Tallis could have imagined. The creature was natural, yet it wasn’t. It had a Djed that was a horrible perversion of the regular Djed that Tallis was used to feeling. A look of unease crossed Tallis’ face as he memorized the feeling. He didn’t want to do it, but he had to know the unfamiliar Djed if he wanted to have an easier time sensing such creatures.

When Tallis stood back up to take another look at the creature, he noticed that it had already begun decomposing and was continuing to do so at an alarmingly fast rate. Its eyes had already sunken in and the skin was already hanging off atrophied muscle. The creatures Djed was dissipating just as quickly as it was decomposing, sending the chaotic magic back into the environment. Pulling his focus off the creature, Tallis turned his attention back to the woman.

“Would you be able to help me gather? I only require that you watch my back while I search. And the citizens will appreciate it.”

Tallis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ndale Soromund on March 22nd, 2012, 2:48 am

OOCSo, I meant to join this earlier but Ndale's wing is broken via another thread so i had to double check some lore and such ^-^ Anyhow, Saeriel, you might want to take the WIP off your CS. Just so as you don't get in a mod intervention for posting before removing that~

The voices are what attracted her.

Ndale had been wandering for food, it was scarce to come by much in Zeltiva, given the current times and she hadn’t had a filling meal in days. But it seemed that even the smaller animals were hiding or whisked away with the storm.

But hearing someone else speak this far up surprised her. Then again, humans had been desperate enough to hunt this far out was strange. Even she had a bit of troubles, but considering the damage to both terrain and animal she had so far been untroubled.

Still she found herself inching towards the speakers, her wing being the way it was she needed protection. Once she finished eating she could always scurry off. Following the sounds of the humans Ndale carefully picked her way through the foliage.

It wasn’t a hurried pace but it was a bit nosy. She held no fear though, she didn’t think the humans would attack her, she was no carnivore nor was she some deformed pitiable beast changed via the djed storm. If humans thought her pigment was strange they had obviously not seen those beasts.

Reaching the edge of a path, obviously human formed, Ndale made her presence known with a loud honk. Moving easily she took up a spot in between the two but far enough away that she could run if necessary. Feeling a bit more at ease, even with the corpse nearby she wondered if she would help these silly humans find their plants. But first…

Walking over to the carcass she carefully sniffed it and poked at it a bit but quickly deemed it inedible. Turning around she looked expectantly at the humans, her frame, even in her true form portrayed the simple question of: ‘Are we going to continue or what?’
Ndale Soromund
Curiouser and Curiouser...

Words: 84822
Joined roleplay: February 8th, 2012, 4:09 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Saeriel on March 24th, 2012, 3:11 am

Spring, Day 21, 512 AV

Saeriel took her arrows back, putting them back and the quiver and than listened to the man. Saeriel found it interesting that this man would risk himself to do something for others, especially considering all the fighting in Zeltiva due to the current state of affairs. Once the man finished answering her question he walked over to the, now quickly dissipating, malformed creature and put his hands on the creatures leaking wounds. When he did so a look of unease crossed his face that Saeriel could see and than he pulled his hands away. Was he a practitioner of...what was it, Auristics? Saeriel didn't know, didn't really care and wasn't really too interested. What she was interested in was if the man was a wizard considering that, from what she saw and what little knowledge she had of wizardry, it looked as if that may be. Saeriel wasn't particularly fond of wizards, she finds most of them, at least the ones she's met before, to be untrustworthy even she herself practiced a little Reimancy and could be considered a wizard. However the man seemed nice enough and, for now, Saeriel would not let that affect her interactions with him. The man than turned his attention back to Saeriel and spoke:

“Would you be able to help me gather? I only require that you watch my back while I search. And the citizens will appreciate it.”

Saeriel was intrigued by the thought. Not because she particularly liked the citizens but because there would be, perhaps, more things to kill and she might learn something about plants and their uses, which may be useful to her at some point since she DID do a lot of hunting. She was about to answer when she heard a loud honk and instinctively she drew her sword as she was turning around but upon realizing it was a Peahen, sheathed her sword. Turning her attention back to the man she spoke:

"I could do so though I would, obviously, like to know your name. Mine is Saeriel. And one other thing I must ask, are you a Wizard of some sort? So with that being said shall we continue?"

Saeriel also decided to leave the hood down letting her fiery red hair flow from her head. Saeriel finished speaking and noticed that the Peahen looked as though it would follow them and as though it was waiting for them.
Saeriel
The Disappearing One

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Tallis on March 28th, 2012, 4:43 am

A pure white peahen suddenly sauntered up to the corpse, announcing its presence with a loud honk. Examining the body, the bird deemed it unfit for consumption and turned to the two people standing there. The bird gave them an urgent look that seemed to ask why they held such interest in a corpse if it was inedible. To say that Tallis was a bit surprised by the intrusion would be an understatement, but he definitely did not feel fear. From the avian’s mannerisms to its looks, everything about the bird seemed friendly and tame. The peahen was definitely used to human company and clearly wasn’t a part of Zeltiva’s regular fauna.

Upon closer inspection, the peahen seemed injured. Tallis guessed that the bird had been someone’s pet, lost and injured in the confusion following the massive Djed storm. Before he could come up with another conjecture, Tallis’ guessing game was interrupted when the red-haired girl replied.

"I could do so though I would, obviously, like to know your name. Mine is Saeriel. And one other thing I must ask, are you a Wizard of some sort? So with that being said shall we continue?"

As Tallis complied with her request to continue on, he introduced himself as they walked.

“My name is Tallis, and yes I am a wizard. But I’m nothing to be afraid of.”

Seeing as there was a strong social stigma against wizards, Tallis did not feel like revealing too much about his magical abilities. The paranoia and fear that people were experiencing after the Djed storms kept him from using magic openly and on top of all this, Tallis had to hide the existence of his Gnosis mark. The great God Zulrav was blamed by many for the coming of the storm and despite the Stormwardens attempts to save those around them, many people still held strong feelings of hate for them.

“What are you doing in Zeltiva? It’s rare to see hunters here.”

Looking back to see if the peahen was following, Tallis stepped into another clearing. This part of the forest had managed to stay clear of a dense tree canopy. Light filtered onto the forest floor, revealing the dense white blooms of Yarrow all around. Checking the journal that the nurse had given him, Tallis pulled out two small drawstring bags from his sack and began harvesting the blooms and leaves of the medicinal herb.

OOCSorry for the bland post. I just got back from my trip, so I'm busy trying to catch up with homework. :'(
Tallis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ndale Soromund on March 28th, 2012, 6:26 am

Although she was ready to press on the humans still dawdle for a few moments and she food herself preening silently. A patient waiter for once; if only because she was interested in them now. Djed users. Hunters. Protection. Interesting.

Finally they trotted on, Ndale following slowly, easily distracted by the small bugs skittering around. It was a re-teaching of sorts, even in this form, nature was strange to her. Even some of the smallest beings had been changed or malformed in some manner. Becoming grotesques shells of their former selves and while some where edible she found that some were not; her methods of testing her food quite dangerous, the only known way being to taste them.

So busy tuning out the mundane human chatter between the other two and intent on sampling the two headed beetle-looking bug she nearly ran straight into the human who had squatted down. It was the male of the two and he pull the plants from the ground, placing them in sacks Ndale knew to be used for storing things.

Did humans eat these plants?

Curious she stepped away a bit and nibbled at the leaves and blooms. They were disgusting! Her displeasure voiced in an angry chirp. She would have rather tested the dual headed beetle. Shakking her head a bit wildly she wandered over to a patch of grass to wash out the taste in her mouth, attempting to figure out why humans would need such a thing.

It was then she remembered the poem.

After all, if was what had dragged her in their direction in the first place.

The strange little ditty the man had spoken. Something about medicine. It made more sense than a food, all medicines tasted like dung. Especially human ones.

All the same she was using them for protection and she was curious as to what these plants would do and so stopping her munching she wandered back over to the nasty little blooms. Reaching her head down slowly she was careful to tug the plant at the base and not let it slip down her throat once more. Satisfied she marched over to the man and dropped in his lap before repeating her ‘helpful’ process. Many of the plants still holding clumps of dirt from her sharp tugs.

By the fifth one she stopped and looked expectantly at the human, her head bent down silently but her eyes glued to his face. Her whole being giving off the ‘praise me vibe’. Ndale did not wait for her praise though, instead turning to the other human who stood in the clearing and butting her head lightly against the woman’s legs.

Would she stand guard then? This human woman. She was to be the watched? Curious she flapped one wing in forgetfulness. Squealing up at the woman her gaze was locked on the bow. Could she use something like this as well?
Ndale Soromund

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Saeriel on March 29th, 2012, 2:24 am

Spring, Day 21, 512 AV

“My name is Tallis, and yes I am a wizard. But I’m nothing to be afraid of.”

So the man, Tallis, was a wizard. Saeriel hadn't really expected an answer considering the way the current feelings about wizards were. Nonetheless Tallis answering the question had proved he was at least somewhat trustworthy to Saeriel. Though Saeriel doubted the last part of his answer that he was nothing to be scared of. She practiced Reimancy, Fire, on the side so she knew how dangerous a competent wizard could be. Saeriel's thoughts were interrupted by Tallis speaking again:

“What are you doing in Zeltiva? It’s rare to see hunters here.”

Saeriel pondered on the question momentarily before replying:

”I've lived here in Zeltiva most of my life. I've got a cottage in town. My father was a hunter and he taught me most of what I know. My mother was a wizard like yourself, she taught me a bit of Fire Reimancy before I left home. After leaving home, I stayed in Sunberth for a while but I grew tired of having to constantly sleep with one eye open and so at the age of seventeen I ended up here in Zeltiva. I find hunting to be an enjoyable sport and it helps me be more self sufficient then that lot in town. I've learned a lot about Zeltiva in the past six years, nothing of the flora here though.”

Saeriel finished speaking as they entered a clearing and she turned and found the Peahen following them. The peahen was also bumping into her and apparently interested in the bow. Saeriel noticed Tallis harvesting a plant with white blooms and she was curious so she spoke again:

”Tallis, what is it your harvesting? It also appears that the peahen understands us, or it's just really interested in my bow.”

As soon as Saeriel finished the simple sentences she saw movement in the corner of her eye and heard it behind them, close by. She whispered to Tallis:

”Finish quickly and back up, we have company.”

Two men emerged from the forested area, one with an axe, the other with a sword, but they weren't knights as they were far from the main road and anyways most of the knights had gone back to Syliras during the storm and so patrols would be rare so soon after, so one could assume these men were highwaymen. They were a bit close for Saeriel to be able to effectively use her bow, especially if she missed and had to reload, so instead she drew her short sword. She muttered to Tallis again:

”I'll take Axe-boy. Hope you can deal with sword-boy.”

The man with the axe spoke following that:

”Hand over your belongings and you won't be hurt.”

Saeriel responded to his comment with:

”Oh? The way I see it I have an Option A and an Option B. Option B is the one I'm taking and that is the kill you and go on about my day option”

Before she had finished the sentence she began producing res in her left hand, Knowing it would be fairly slow. The men lowered their center of gravity and began to move. Shortly after the Res production had been completed, a glowing green goop in her hand. She formed it into a ball, managed to get it to hover and lit it up on fire. At that moment she threw the flaming ball at the man with the axe and finished the ignition before it got too far but being inexperienced at Reimancy as she was though she knew it would miss and it did to the left but as she launched the ball she launched herself at the man hoping the flames would distract the man and once she was in range with her sword she took to quick strikes at the man, one overhead from right to left and one uppercut coming from left to right. Both were blocked by the man hastily but he was on the defensive.

The battle had begun.

oocYes another combat scene, I thought it seemed appropriate. I hope you guys enjoy it. If not then my apologies.
Saeriel
The Disappearing One

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Tallis on March 29th, 2012, 6:31 am

Tallis listened to Saeriel’s story. Clearly he had gained the girl’s trust for her to tell him so much. And now that she mentioned her cottage in Zeltiva, Tallis had a feeling that he had seen her around before.

As Tallis separated the leaves and blooms and placed them in their respectives bags, the peahen dropped a stalk of Yarrow in his lap. Apparently the bird was trying to help him! Tallis marveled at the peahen’s intelligence; clearly this bird was nothing like the average carrier pigeon. As the peahen dropped a fifth stalk into his lap, Tallis gave her an affectionate pat and watched as she strutted off to keep an eye on Saeriel.

“Tallis, what is it you’re harvesting? It also appears that the peahen understands us, or it's just really interested in my bow.”

Tallis nodded in agreement, “She is quite astute, that bird. And I happen to be harvesting Yarrow. According to the journal, it’s an herb that soothes pain and - ”

Tallis’ explanation was cut short by Saeriel’s hushed whispers.

“Finish quickly and back up, we have company.”

Tallis quickly packed up the materials he had gathered and just managed to stand to his feet as two rough-looking men entered the clearing. He watched as Saeriel exchanged words with them and trusted her to keep them occupied for a moment. Throwing his pack aside, Tallis quickly nudged the peahen away from the possible danger. There was going to be a fight, and Tallis did not want his avian friend getting hurt. Turning his attention back to the two intruders, Tallis managed to catch a glimpse of Saeriel’s fireball. Although it had been rough, the fireball had done its job and distracted the two men, giving Tallis enough time to leap into action.

Sending a short prayer to Zulrav, Tallis called upon the breezes, letting the wind circle around his right arm. At the same time, he let a flow of Res accumulate in the palm of his hand and compressed it into a swirling mass of air. Directing Zulrav’s wind towards the ball of air in his palm, Tallis created a small but strong vortex. Tallis quickly stepped forward, kicking up a cloud of sand and dust. Letting the earthen particles merge with the vortex, Tallis had created a miniature sandstorm.

Sending the abrasive whirlwind flying into the sword-bearer’s face, Tallis watched as the swordsman dropped his weapon, covering his face as best he could to prevent the airborne sand from tearing at his face. Tallis concentrated on the miniature sandstorm, making sure that the tiny particles of sand made their way into the attacker’s eyes, nose, and mouth. With the man immobilized, Tallis quickly stepped into close-range. Cupping his hands and filling them with Res, Tallis quickly turned the magical substance into solidified air and sent his palms crashing into the sides of the man’s head, forcing the air into his ears. The swordsman was quickly incapacitated and fell to his knees.

Just to be safe, Tallis sent one flux-powered foot to the attacker’s groin and picked up his neglected sword. Tallis checked to make sure the peahen was a safe distance away and turned his attention back to Saeriel’s fight. Taking out the man with the sword had not been too difficult and Tallis still had a good amount of Djed left. If Saeriel needed help, he was ready to step in.

Tallis
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Ndale Soromund on April 1st, 2012, 1:30 am

OOCSorry for the delay! Been swamped lately. Anyhow, I typed this from my phone so I apologize for errors in advance.

The fight was sudden. Conversation stopping instantly, Ndale found herself oddly annoyed at being pushed to the back. But she watched with interest in the way the fought. One using something she could not really see to attack the man, it a was a simply swirl of gray in hand. Air? Well, it would make sense. She found herself huffing, humans and their magics!

She was not a fighter but she would not let anything on her territory with her permission either and as she watched the small row she contemplated waiting in the back. It annoyed her to be protected and yet that is what she had come with the for. She had nearly decided to attack, her loud honk echoing through the small clearing, her body inflating itself in a posturing show. In fact, she was racing between the two humans and charging their attacker when she remembered her wing. Flinching back slightly both she and the man were sent sprawling.

Flapping her other wing quite uselessly Ndale tried to right herself and keep herself off her other injured arm. This only worked halfway. Though she had now removed the splint she had sent waves of pain through her body that shook her from the tips of her feet to the end of her beak. Feeling a shove she found herself rolling in another direction and careening into a tree, thankfully on her uninjured side. Spinning angrily on her attacker she still puffed up but at the same time knew she couldn’t do much. Her instincts kicking in with a flight response.

“Stupid bird! I’ll roast you!” But other than his words he made no move towards her, turning to what he thought was more of a threat. Though he was right, Ndale wouldn’t do much, instead hovering by the tree, her body still having a look of an overstuffed chicken. Slowly allowing her feathers to settle and her air to exhale she plopped by the tree.

No more human fights. These humans could obviously handle themselves and she needed practice. Glancing at the woman who now held some sort of pointy weapon she wondered if she could use that instead of the other weapon.

The immediate threat gone now she felt her adrenaline leaving and her mind wandering, fleeing from the throbbing in her wing and moving towards more pleasant things. Like the tasty little spider wandering by her. For once it did not look deformed and without a second thought she snatched it up and gulped it down. Her eyes moving back towards the fight with interest.

Ndale Soromund

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Next