[The Bharani Library] Paper Cuts

Knowledge always comes with a price. [Laszlo]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Elhaym on April 9th, 2012, 5:14 am

Realization caused his face to contort into something ugly and undignified, a stark reminder that this was not the creature that had stood before her only moments ago. Yet it was the same man, and Elhaym steeled herself to remember that as she nodded to affirm that they had indeed met before. His stance was wary and he backed away, but Elhaym sought no more closeness than what she had already forced. If she was a Shinya, something more than just an Acolyte who at times was left with a longer leash than others, she might have cut him down right then and there. Yet again, a Shinya did not act so rashly… they would seek the truth before acting. It was not some deep desire to be a true Shinya that held Elhaym back, rather the want for him to explain himself. Laszlo was a hypnotist and a Symenestra by night, but she had begun to believe he was not really a bad person.

She didn't want to be wrong.

Oh, if only we could all go back and change our past, Laszlo. The words floated in her mind, and she made a sharp gesture when he began to ramble as if to cut to the point. Either he explained himself quickly, or she would have to report who and what he was to the Shinya and have him dealt with. Lhavit had no prison; he would either be exiled or executed. He admitted freely to maiming the old man, and for that much her body tensed. Narrowed eyes bore into him when he began to stumble over his words and profess that he was no monster, but he was. Symenestra, as far as she knew, were not above such savagery as to take a woman by force.

He talked. Elhaym folded her arms over her chest as she listened, the soft flapping of her silk coat mixing with his words. It was an intricate story, one filled with emotion and detail. If it was rehearsed, it was a damned fine performance. Elhaym felt herself beginning to empathize with him; she had murdered a group of men in Syliras well, and out of self defense. The Syliran Knights had even eventually figured it out, but she had not been sought after like Laszlo had. A single Knight had approached her and gave her a fair warning; her actions had been justified, but she should have gone to the Knights in the first place. A second occurrence would see her in the laborers yard for the rest of her days. Laszlo had not even been given that much leeway.

"You left Syliras, and I helped you do it. Those Knights would have found you that night if I hadn't…"

Elhaym turned, at last tearing her eye off of Laszlo's face. Something tugged at her mind, a certain rationale that had once existed in her mind so many years ago. The Knights and their smug sureness and invasive methods had always rubbed her the wrong way. Looking back, she thought that her annoyance at them might have fueled her little rebellion. Looking forward, she suddenly knew that in terms of Laszlo and his friend Duvalyon, she had become something far more invasive, smug, and sure than the Knights had ever been. She felt almost... abashed? She wanted to think that it was different, that she owed these people a debt and meant to repay it. Yet who was to say those Knights hadn't felt the same way? Capturing a rapist, well, Elhaym would tear a rapist's door off its hinges if one were known in Lhavit. Maybe she was no different than those Knights now.

So many years, and she had changed so much. They were thoughts not meant for this night; her silence hung in the air, and Laszlo's eagerness to hear her response was palpable.

"Okay. I'll accept that, Laszlo."

A body suppressed like a coil under pressure suddenly relaxed, and Elhaym unfolded her arms to make a waving gesture. "Maybe you didn't rape the girl, and the Knights were acting on impulse. Maybe I was right to hide you… or maybe, you're using your gifts to make me feel that way. Whatever it is, you have to swear to me Laszlo. Tell me that you're not playing games, and that is no hypnotist's trick. You've proven that I'll have no way of knowing either way, so I'm just going to ask you… for the truth."

An exasperated sigh rumbled from her lips as she thought back to that day, trying to recover any details that might disprove what he had said.

----

Syliras - Winter, 509 AV

Heavy footfalls were drawing near, and a grin crept across Elhaym's face. With some effort she heaved the heavy pot she had been scrubbing up and launched it across the floor. The impact and further noise it made when rolling about was beyond obnoxious, and the symphony of clay mugs and wooden plates being swept off the serving tables near her added the necessary high notes. With the sound of confusion in the air, Elhaym lurched to the heavy and rusted door that led into the alleys beyond and threw it open.

When the two Knights burst into the room, Elhaym was sitting on her rump by the door and apparently in a daze. A gentle man in his mid forties knelt to her side, but the armor and blade at his hip diminished his courtesy. Quite luckily for her, the adrenaline her trick brought gave her voice the necessary stutter to emulate surprise and fear mixed into one. In only a moment they were fully convinced that the Symenestra had knocked her aside and fled into the corridors of the castle.

Of course the next few hours were heinous. The tavern's fat little prick of an owner had a hissy fit like none she had seen before, and cleaning up all of the various kitchen supplies she had (purposely) knocked over had taken far longer than it had to displace them. Still, the fact that she had pulled one over on the Knights was a small victory. They could stand to be a little less obnoxious, so she thought. The night had grown long, and Elhaym soon found herself alone as the tavern shut its doors for the night.

Well, not truly alone. The hinges of the trap door creaked as she threw it open, and rather than descending the small ladder she simply hopped down and drug the door closed behind her as she fell. Landing squarely on her legs and bending her knees to absorb the impact, she noted that her visitor had not bothered to light any of the torches or candles around the room. She thought that was because Symenestra liked to live in caves or holes or something, but she wasn't too sure. A slight feeling of unease nestled its way into her stomach… she had never really considered what this man may have done. Well, no matter. There was no doubt she could handle that pale wisp of a man in a fight.

"Hey, wake up."

Her eyes had not adjusted, but she found her way to a side table where a flint and steel lay just as they always did. In a practiced motion, she drug one across the other and produced a spark that immediately ignited on the oil wrapped cloth of a torch. She had done it a hundred times.

"Well, Knights will be looking for you for a day or so. They'll keep it all locked down nice and tight for a while, but when they don't find you they'll ease up. Else the people will start getting miffed, you know? Anyhow... what'd you do to rile them up so much? Just so you know, I'm no easy prey, so don't go thinking you can pull anything."

Her manner of speaking was so blunt that it didn't even sound like the words of a braggart, just the simple truth. She had unhitched the torch from its mount as she spoke, and now carried it to the center of the room to locate the Symenestra. The cellar was probably larger than Laszlo had expected, and filled with boxes of supplies as well as various foodstuffs. Elhaym's little living space was apparent; there was a hammock strung up between two stacks of barrels, and a chest that seemed to be stuffed to the brim with every worldly possession she had.

Elhaym
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind.

Words: 567762
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2010, 4:25 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Laszlo on April 15th, 2012, 5:39 am

Syliras - Winter 509 AV

The metal latch of the cellar door rattled, reverberating through the wood and plaster floor that served as Laszlo's ceiling. As the hinges whined, his amethyst eyes hesitantly opened, warily flitting to the wooden steps leading down into his hiding place. For an instant his heart fluttered, but he quickly recognized the shape of the barmaid from earlier. He would have heard a brigade of Knights parading across the floor above him, but he wasn't sure whether the tavern's owner knew he was being stowed away down here, and wouldn't know how to explain himself.

She spoke to him, while he watched her light a torch to fight away the darkness. His eyes had easily adjusted to the lightless area, and the point of light she created made him flinch with its glaring brightness. The wide black of his pupils contracted rapidly in shock and pain.

"I'm awake," he responded coolly, quickly recovering. Laszlo had wedged himself in a tight space between the cellar ceiling and a high stack of wooden crates. Some part of him logically knew that there was something odd about the way he found so much comfort in a tiny, cramped niche like this one, but it must have been built into what he presently was. Whatever that could be. "I'm just quiet."

Resting his elbow on a propped knee, Laszlo held his cheek in one, long slender hand. He felt safer, somehow, being above her, and wasn't ready to relinquish his spot even out of courtesy. The muffled conversation she'd had with the Knights had drifted through the floorboards, and he knew she had lied for his benefit. Despite her kindness, there was too much fear and unrest in Laszlo for him to relax.

"I have no intention of hurting you, or taking anything," the Ethaefal said softly, angling his eyes away from the torch and watching the twitching movements of a rat hiding behind a stack of untapped kegs. "I didn't mean to hurt anyone. It was just a terrible, terrible misunderstanding." He flexed his fingers, remembering the feeling of caked and drying blood under his claws. "I heard you talking with those men upstairs. You didn't have to do that for me."

Elhaym would see the catlike eyeshine as Laszlo shifted his eyes back to her. "Thank you."

-----

The conflict in Elhaym's eye was a raging battle of prejudices and reason. She had the look of a woman who once had everything, only to see it shrivel and die in a hail of flame and broken trust. That was Laszlo's speculation, of course. Humans, he was quickly learning, were prone to deeply personal passions and profound idealism. Laszlo's very existence seemed to defy what she believed to be true. He wore the skin of a monster, knew the art of a manipulator, and presented himself as just a man like any other.

Laszlo shook his head gently. "No trick. I swear on my life, that's the solemn truth. I'm not here to play games. I just don't want Abalia to die." The eyeshine faded from his amethyst pools as he looked downward. "That is the only reason I came. I've made so many mistakes. Heh. I'm a pitiful Ethaefal."

With the ungainly flourish of any flawed and awkward mortal man, Laszlo lifted one clawed hand and rubbed at the back of his neck. Staring at the ground, he dug into his memories to remember Elhaym in Syliras, before the she suffered whatever damage she hid behind those heavy bandages. Laszlo hadn't even recognized her, and he wondered if that realization was painful to her. Years had passed, but not enough for her to noticeably age. Perhaps he had just tried so hard to block out his memories of Syliras that it didn't even occur to him to make the correlation between her and the girl and the Rearing Stallion.

"You were the barmaid at the tavern. You said your name was Pain, which I assumed was an alias. It was, wasn't it? I didn't think to ask, then. I was too preoccupied with my own issues." The biggest difference between them, Laszlo inwardly noted, was that "Pain" had been a girl. From the moment he met Elhaym, she had registered to him as a fully grown woman. "I might not be alive, if not for you. It wasn't that I'd forgotten you, I just… I don't think about Syliras. The same way I don't think about Kalinor. It's hard enough to stay focused on everything I'm petching up right now. The recent past can't be changed."
In the daytime I am one of Syna's fallen.
At night, I am Symenestra.
Laszlo
Team Imass!

Words: 635811
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2011, 3:36 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Elhaym on July 1st, 2012, 6:05 am

There was no edge in his voice, no subtle indications that something brewed in his mind aside from the words he spoke. It was either honesty, pure and unrelenting… or the art of a true master of control. Yet Elhaym had grown much since her time in Syliras and though her trust in others had begun to falter, she knew she trusted him.

“No. No it can't.”

She couldn't change her maimed body. She couldn't change the djed that toyed with her mind at an ever alarming rate, and she most certainly couldn't change the full collapse of her once neatly secured future with Kota. These things weighed heavily on her and were stayed only by whatever impulsive crusade she buried herself in for that moment… a fact that Elhaym was all too aware of, but far too unwilling to confront. Elhaym was not as young or strong as she had once been, and her deteriorating physical and mental states were far more disconcerting that she allowed herself to show. Even now, it was difficult to follow his movements with the majority of her peripheral vision stolen from her.

“I think about Syliras often. It smelled like shit, and I worked as hard there as do I now. Except then, I was scrubbing horse piss from a stall all day. But those days were easy for me; I knew where I wanted to go and what I needed to do, but I hadn't started on my way yet. I was just coasting along, until… I came here. And everything began to change into something beautiful.”

Her arms tightened even as they remained folded across her chest, and a sharp twist of her head gave a small amount of warning as she spat on the ground to her side. Her disgust was clear.

“Except it's not beautiful. It's ugly, and twisted. I live in a beautiful city protected by potential mad men, surrounded by innocent people who believe their Goddess can keep them safe from anything. But she can't save them from their ignorance Laszlo. Nothing and no one can… but I will try. It's all I have left.”

Her movement was gradual, and in a moment she had turned and paced back to the wall of the library. Once so deadly and graceful, a maimed arm uncoiled and pressed its palm against the the smooth skyglass. Elhaym spread her fingers, or what remains of them.

“What I mean to say Laszlo, is… save your woman. Never let her go, ever. If she is important to you, than I won't do anything to hinder you. You've earned my silence with your honesty. Just promise me you will try and save her. You don't want to end up like me, Laszlo.”

She turned, cocking her head to put his full figure in her limited field of vision. Her faces was a mess of scars, but perhaps Laszlo saw the one that hadn't been visible before. Elhaym was wounded, and the only sedative powerful enough to keep her from giving in to the pain was slowly losing its effectiveness. How long could she sustain herself on the notion of justice alone?

“I am a husk of a woman. A wife with no husband. A weapon with no one to wield me… I know what it is to be broken, Laszlo. Save her, and maybe you will save yourself too. If you can't, well… I pray you are stronger than me, if that is the case.”

Was it melancholy? Elhaym thought not. As harsh as her life had been, she knew countless others had endured pain and hardship to such a degree that hers seemed to only scratch upon misery's polished surface. It was simple realism; life was hard, and only the strong survived. A small girl from the countryside of Syliras had fought with ferocity, clawing her way from nothing and tearing everything that stood in her way apart to stand in front of the Ethaefal this night. But how long could she fight just to move forward? At this rate, she would be dead within a year and have achieved nothing but a unmarked grave. But if that must be, then so be it. Elhaym's vision broke away from Laszlo for a moment as she turned back to the wall. Gently she pressed her forehead against its surface, quietly relishing the cool sensation on her skin.

“Go on. I know you have better things to do than listen to this. I just need a few chimes to clear my head…”

Yet even as she spoke, her own mind cried out in retort.

You are not broken, my dear… You've simply forgotten where the other pieces are.
We can help you find them…

Elhaym's hands curled into fists as she leaned against the wall, the only physical sign of the anguish inside her mind.

Elhaym
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind.

Words: 567762
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2010, 4:25 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Laszlo on July 6th, 2012, 8:09 am

It was Laszlo's turn to be silent and listen. The both of them had so very much to say to each other—or maybe this was mutual catharsis. Selfish confessions voiced just so someone else could hear them. The guilt of self-awareness pricked mildly at the Ethaefal.

The woman had drifted away from him gradually, perhaps out of a secret fear for his new shape. Slowly, Laszlo turned himself to continue facing her, while a chilled evening breeze coaxed at straying wisps of dark silver, framing his face in subtle waves. His clothing rippled gently under persistent Kalea zephyrs, fitting him more loosely in this form.

He kept his violet eyes trained on her, though his neutral expression had changed from before. The dayside Laszlo wore a handsome face that was always nearly smiling, appearing captivated. As a Symenestra, his features were sharper and more severe. His eyes were slightly larger, but with more prominent eyelids; now he looked closer to eternally bored and a little tired. The proof that he was truly listening lied only in his unbroken scrutiny of the Acolyte.

Elhaym's inner conflicts were brought into the open air, and as she spoke, Laszlo felt like he watching himself. It had been only two and a half years since his fall, but somehow the woman's twenty-ish years of strife resonated with his own disillusion and despair. This was either comforting or disquieting.

Instinctively, he wanted to tell her that everything was not as bad as it seemed, though it would be a hollow gesture. There was also an unsettling feeling that pooled in his chest, something akin to fear. Elhaym's bitter reasoning sounded much like Siofra's, and Laszlo had been inclined to comfort her, too. That ended badly.

"I'll try," Laszlo responded gravely, grit in his voice. She didn't understand what kind of odds Abalia was up against. That was fine.

A wife with no husband. The Ethaefal briefly wrinkled his brow—she'd lost her husband? He couldn't separate the literal from the metaphors. Could she have meant something else? He was hesitant to pry. Even if he wanted to, he felt gutted. He was tired of talking about himself and wallowing in their shared misery. The city that glimmered in the dusk was too lovely, killing his appetite for self-pity. There were better things ahead of them. Laszlo had to believe that.

"I find liquor works wonders for clearing minds," he said to her, after lingering in his thoughts for a moment or two. He remained still, fighting the urge to approach her and do something sentimental, like put his hand on her shoulder. She might just turn and stab him, and then she'd have something else to feel guilty about. "I need to return and check on Abalia, but I should like to buy you a drink in the near future. I almost owe you for your intervention with that Seeker." But he still remembered her nearly fracturing his ribs when they first met. "Perhaps we could work toward letting bygones be bygones. From the sound of it, I think you've been on your own too long. We could both use more allies."

Laszlo was reminded suddenly that, in a few seasons, he would likely have no one. The thought passed through him in a shiver. He inhaled and looked down.

"And," he flicked a lock of gray hair from his face, his timid smile audible in his voice, "I solemnly promise: no attempts to drag you back to my cave and impregnate you. I'm not the romantic type."
In the daytime I am one of Syna's fallen.
At night, I am Symenestra.
Laszlo
Team Imass!

Words: 635811
Joined roleplay: September 3rd, 2011, 3:36 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Artist (1)
Overlored (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Quasar on August 27th, 2012, 5:40 pm

Elhaym:

Skills Awarded
Skill XP Reason
Persuasion +1 For persuading the Seeker to accept Laszlo's work
Meditation +1 For your short dialogue with the shades
Acting +1 convincing those pesky Syliran knights that you got pushed over and such

Lores Awarded
The concept of Overgiving
The Bharani Library (basic)
Resisting dark urges
Laszlo's Symenestra form
What really happened in Syliras
Harboring a criminal
Laszlo: Not all that bad, after all

Laszlo

Skills Awarded
Skill XP Reason
Storytelling +2 revealing the stories of your past
Persuasion +1 For persuading Elhaym that you are not a rapist!

Lores Awarded
The beauty of Lhavit
The Bharani Library (basic)
Elhaym is the barmaid
Accepting a stranger's help
Hiding from Syliran Knights
Elhaym: Has suffered hardships

Additional Notes: So many emotions! Not very skill-intensive, but you have acquired many shiny lores. I did award things for the flashback parts as well because it's written out and that's the important bit, really. Too bad the thread died out, though :(. If you have any questions or concerns regarding your grade, please PM me :).
Quasar
You dare defy the laws of physics?!

Words: 23849
Joined roleplay: July 1st, 2012, 8:42 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)

Previous