Fidem In Discrimen (Poison)

[The Unforgiving] A rescue mission turned into a desperate survival; will Eridanus be able to uphold his beliefs even if it means taking the harder path?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The vast mountain range of Kalea is home of secret valleys, dead-end canyons, and passes that lead to places long forgotten or yet to be discovered.

Postby Eridanus on April 28th, 2012, 9:04 am

Just as he completed the small shield the rain began falling heavily. He planned to create a larger shield, but satisfied himself with a smaller one first to keep them dry. He continued concentrating, feeding more djed as he expanded the bubble of the shield. Of course, the ground elsewhere already turned into mud, so the next best thing he could do was to align the shield with the ground so that a fine layer was still dry. Regulating his breathing, the ethaefal continued pushing out the shield until it encompassed most of the small grove, essentially creating a larger dry zone. This was for better combat utility in the event of another predator.

Next, he created more djed, pushing it forward towards the entrance of the grove, forming a thin layer that acted as a door of sorts at the only entrance point to enter the grove. Above that shield he created a sheet of djed parallel to the sky but with a bowl in the middle. For the door, he weaved two instructions. Primarily, to absorb djed, while secondarily he utilized a biological tasking template, placing a blanket ban on all biologicals from passing the door. The shield that was parallel to the sky he programmed to absorb djed and task against water, or rain. Water would normally bounce off the shield as a result of this tasking, but due to the concave shape he moulded in the middle of the upper sheet the rain would collect there.

Finally, he weaved the very djed threads of the shield, forming them into glyphs that would serve as further arcane instructions. He placed a trigger sigil on both additional shields, with a line of glyphs linking the door and sheet together. Basically, if the door shield was broken, the shield with the convex shape would also be shattered, thus causing the bowl of collected water to splash down noisily. That would serve as their only warning to new predators, or more specifically predators with the power and intelligence to understand and break the shield. The darkness should hide them from sight for the most part, while the heavy rain would effectively mask their scents, especially the scent of blood.

A hand touched him just as he completed the additional shields, and Eridanus found himself looking into a pair of worried eyes. The celestial visage of the ethaefal expressed a warm and graceful smile as he reassured her, "Just don't move, and stay there. Everything will be fine."

As he spoke to the conscious survivor, he extracted more djed, though this time a little, only sufficient enough to form a thin blanket over the woman's clothes. The primary tasking was the usual to absorb djed, thus guaranteeing somewhat its longevity. The second was to task against temperature. Using the djed threads of the second instruction, he added more glyphs to specify his expected effect. Basically, the shield would trap heat, but only up to constant degree which he defined to be the average temperature of spring.

Reaching over, he quickly did the same for the man, while checking his breathing and pulse. "He's still alright, miss. Don't exert yourself, rest as much as you can and leave the rest to me okay?"

Finally, he did the same for himself, for by now he was already shivering from the cold. Extracting djed, shaping it to form a thin cloth-like layer around his body, and programming it against cold. It was fortunate that he had sufficient proficiencycompetent allows shields spanning up to 5 acres in shielding to be able to create numerous and large shields or all of this would not be possible.

Now that preparations were done, the environment posed little danger to the trio. Unless a new danger entered, all they could do now was to wait out the rain and night. Perhaps the rescue party had postponed their operation till the day, which he admitted would probably be a smarter choice.

Yet, he could not afford to sleep. Instead, he sat up cross-legged, entering a meditative phase that would conserve energy but yet keep him vaguely aware of the surroundings. He only needed to be aware enough to snap into action if there was a large splashing sound as a result of the bowl of water on the sheet of djed being released onto the ground should the door shield be breached.

Priskil, grant hope to the survivors. Yahal, give them the strength to keep living. Wysar, help them with their conviction to stay alive.

With these prayers he kept his strength and faith, resolute in his task to keep his mind and body alert yet well-conserved, ready to meet any new challenges that might be thrown their way.

The night progressed.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)

Postby Poison on May 3rd, 2012, 4:51 pm

The woman looked up, into Eridanus‘ face as he spoke. Even now she couldn’t help but notice the Ethaefal’s beauty. There was something about him that reassured her, that brought a smile to her face despite the direness of the situation. She nodded at his words. She didn’t know what exactly he was doing – her knowledge of magic was limited – but after a while she began to feel a little warmer. „Thank you“,she murmurred. „I will.“

She leaned back and allowed herself to relax a little more. But even though she was tired, she didn’t close her eyes. She was worried that she would fall asleep, that she might lose consciousness again and not notice another attack until it was too late. So she looked at the darkness outside of Eridanus‘ shield and listened to the heavy patter of the rain. There was something strange about it, something almost calming, even though she knew that the darkness and the rain were only hiding more creatures like the ones that had killed almost all her companions.

The thunderstorm continued for a while, but eventually it stopped, and the rain abated slightly. There was still no sign of the rescue party that was supposed to come and get them back to Alvadas. But on the bright side no creature that was big enough to break the shield had approached them yet. For now the rain kept more things like the deformed bear away. Even monsters tended to hide when the weather was bad.

While the woman seemed to be relatively stable now considering her injuries the second survivor was still deeply unconscious, and there was no sign that he would come to anytime soon. But at least he was still alive.

„Do you think they’ll come?“ the woman asked Eridanus quietly, and then she glanced at her comrade. She was beginning to get worried again. „After the fight he told me that he had a wife and a little boy back in Alvadas. We decided that if one of us died, the other one would visit their family. Which gods do you think I should ask for a safe return of all of us?“
Poison
DS of Kalinor

Words: 432701
Joined roleplay: May 3rd, 2011, 7:28 pm
Race: Staff account
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Eridanus on May 5th, 2012, 7:16 am

The patter of rain and the irregular lightning that streaked the sky was supposed to be distressing especially if one was outdoors in such dire circumstances. However, the magical shelter created by him turned the situation into a comforting one, as they enjoyed their relative comfort.

The rain finally stopped, and the smell of wet grass and mud became more apparent. There was still no sign of their rescuers, but also no sign of aggressors. That was fine, they just had to wait it out.

"The both of you will make it, don't talk about such useless stuff," Eridanus said in a reassuring manner. He really did not have the medical training to declare so, but his bedside manner was entirely to calm the woman's mental state. The rest he could only leave to fate, for he did not have the skilsl or equipment to do otherwise.

"Pray to whoever's your patron deity. If you are devoted enough your god might just take notice," The ethaefal replied simply. He was not an evangelist, for he strongly believed that religion was a highly personal affair. It was a special relationship between one and one's gods, and an intimate alignment of one's characteristics to one's gods' domains.
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Poison on May 11th, 2012, 5:23 pm

She wasn’t at all sure whether she was really talking about useless stuff – in her opinion there was a chance that one of them wouldn’t make it, especially if the resue party didn’t arrive soon, but she nodded nevertheless. She wouldn’t get into an argument with the Ethaefal right now. He seemed so sure that they would make it back to Alvadas. She didn’t want to ruin his hope, even if it was a vain hope in her opinion.

„I will pray to Myri then, for she is the goddess of war. I will also pray to Yahal and to Kelwyn, for they are the patrons of lost causes and able to turn situations that seem hopeless around.“ She lowered her gaze and sat completely still. Her prayer happened mostly in silence. When communing with the gods it wasn’t necessary to raise one’s voice. The only sign that she was praying was the fact that her lips moved every now and then.

The night went on. With thick clouds covering the moon and the stars it was impossible to tell how quickly the time passed, whether it was already almost morning or closer to midnight. There was still no sign of the rescue party, and the forest around them was still completely quiet. As time went on, Eridanus would notice that the unconscious man’s breathing became a little more laboured.

He would need a doctor or somebody that bore Rak’keli’s blessing soon.

In time the wilderness around them seemed to become more alive. While it had been completely devoid of life before – apart from the deformed creatures that had attacked them – it was obvious that there was somebody else out there now. If Eridanus concentrated, he could hear a sound – a voice. There was a human out there!
Poison
DS of Kalinor

Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Eridanus on May 12th, 2012, 7:06 am

Eridanus nodded, though he did not correct her. Yahal was not the patron of lost causes, but instead something else. He was the representation of goodness, of faith and of purity. He did not know how Kelwyn was, but if she was a follower of Myri and Yahal then the two of them had much in common then, in terms of religion.

If that is the case I will add to your prayers. Myri, grant your follower victory, and help the man fight his own battle and fight for his life. Grant him the fighting spirit to continue with surviving. Yahal, if she is your follower, know that she has now looked upon you in this time of need. Both of us, both of your faithful, ask for the strength to keep going, and hope that with Your guidance we can make it out alive.

They had no idea how much time had passed, but Eridanus knew that it was still night for his ethaefal form was still in shape. Feeling the curved horns above his temples, he knew that when day came proper he would return to his vantha self. Other than this mystical indication the skies were too dark and the clouds were too thick for him to tell.

As time passed on the man's breathing became more laboured. Though inwardly he was beginning to worry, for the sake of the survivors he did not show it, instead controlling his emotions to keep them at ease. No need to create panic when there was nothing they could do.

Patron deities of your follower, he prayed in silence, referring to the man who was in danger, He has done a service to the city out of selflessness and good will, but is beset upon by danger. I pray that you help keep him safe until help arrives.

He sighed and looked blankly out ahead, suddenly noticing that he could hear a voice. Narrowing his eyes, he focused on this source, and realized that it was comprehensible speech. It was a sentient being!

Still, he had to be cautious, for there were plenty of screwed up types out there hoping to profit from the chaos and tragedy. Putting a finger of his mouth to indicate silence to the survivor, he began be turning his head in the direction of the sound.

Feeding djed into his eyes, he focused his energies into auristics, using his enhanced vision to plunge through the obstacles and solid objects that was obstructing his line of sight with the source of the voice. If he could detect an aura that was making the sound, he would focus on the aura's intentions, trying to his best to discern the emotions, feelings and purpose of this aura.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Poison on May 24th, 2012, 1:15 pm

As she noticed that her companion’s state had worsened, the woman moved over to him despite her own injuries, half crawling, using her hands to support herself. She leaned against him and gently stroke his head. She was sure that his wife wouldn’t mind, not in a situation such as this one when his life was at stake.

„Relax“, she whispered to him, not knowing if he could understand her when he was unconscious, if he could feel anyhting at all. „Be strong for your family. It will only take a while longer. I’m sure that they’ll come and rescue us soon enough. You have fought bravely tonight. The gods won’t let a hero like you die.“

She tried to hide her doubts for him. She tried to sound confident, as if she really believed that the gods were watching, that they would have mercy on them all and send somebody to save them. People that risked their lives were rewarded, right?

As she heard the voice, she raised her head and glanced at Eridanus. Was there reason for hope? Was the rescue party coming? But it was only one voice. Why were the others quiet? Had they only sent one man?

She sighed and lowered her head again. She didn’t make a single sound now just like Eridanus had told her.

Eridanus could see the approaching person’s aura. They didn’t seem to be hostile. They were certainly none of those screwed up types that seemed to have become more common after the storm. In fact they seemed to be friendly, helpful, and they were moving directly towards the grove. It was definitely a good thing …

… but what had happened to the rescue party?
Poison
DS of Kalinor

Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Eridanus on June 1st, 2012, 7:51 am

The auras did not show anything out of place, but as Eridanus long learned in Sunberth, assumptions killed people. For that reason, he did not disable the shields, instead choosing to take sit up from his cross-legged meditative position. Casually taking up the sheaths of both long swords with one hand, he apprehensively approached the group that was clearly heading towards the grove.

Unless they had any magical tendencies, the shields and their capabilities were all but hidden to them. Of course, if they were observant enough they would realize that near the entrance of the grove, partially hidden by the darkness was actually a pool of water floating in the air - upheld by the shield that he used as his warning system.

Walking up to the entrance of the grove, but keeping a distance from the initial shield that blocked access to the grove, the ethaefal squinted as he tried to make out the physical shapes of the figures. If they were human he would hail them softly, though loud enough for them to hear.

There was no need to bring unwanted attention to the grove after all.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Poison on June 21st, 2012, 6:15 pm

It was a single figure that approached the grove in which Eridanus and the two survivors were hiding. In the darkness that still surrounded them all it was hard to make out any details about him. The stranger wore a long robe and had the hood pulled over his head, to hide his features or maybe simply because it was so cold out here, in the wilderness. Apart from a staff he was unarmed. As Eridanus hailed him, he raised a hand in a greeting, a perfectly normal, human hand and slowly came closer.

While Eridanus had decided to hail him, the woman narrowed his eyes. „Do you think he belongs to the rescue party?“ she wanted to know. „He doesn’t look like one of us …“ The hooded stranger turned to her, as if he had heard her whisper – he seemed to have exceptionally good hearing. „I don’t belong to the rescue party“, he spoke. „But I’ve seen them. They are camped about two miles from here. They were attacked by the beasts as well. Several of them are seriously wounded, and thus they cannot currently continue the search for you. I offered to inform you.“

„What will you do now, Eridanus?“
the stranger asked. „The rescue party is in need of help, but if he isn’t brought back to the city soon, this man here will die.“ The stranger pointed at the unconscious warrior. „You don’t have the necessary medical knowledge to save his life. How will you deal with this dilemma?“

The woman furrowed her brow. Something about the situation seemed strange to her. How had this hooded stranger been able to reach them safely, in the middle of the night, with all those deformed animals around when even the rescue party had run into trouble? It didn’t make any sense to her.
Poison
DS of Kalinor

Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Eridanus on June 25th, 2012, 4:19 pm

Eridanus stared intently at the stranger, observing and taking in every tiny detail - as much as he could, so as to further estimate and ascertain their relative safety.

A human hand and a normal gesture.

When the woman voiced her suspicions, he was bound to agree for he did not remember anyone dressed or armed as he in the rescue party. Perhaps more had joined the group, but he was not about to complain if they got extra help. Still, the stranger somehow heard her voice, though Eridanus probably attributed it to the stillness of the night that allowed sound to travel unusually far.

The man outlined the rescue party's problem, and presented Eridanus was an accurate summary of their dilemma. The ethaefal's eyes narrowed as he considered the hooded man even more intently. How did he know so much to describe the situation here so accurately? Throughout the combat and him setting up the defence he was pretty sure that he could not feel the presence of any other, yet this man acted as if he was there all along watching events unfold.

No, even more than that. It was as if this man was omniscient of some sort, knowing the entire story for he even knew parts (the details regarding the rescue party) of the story that the ethaefal himself did not know.

There was something suspicious afoot, but he knew that the dilemma as described was perfectly accurate and that he had to somehow act.

Save one, or save another group?

It was a difficult decision, after having tended to the man's wounds and hearing the anecdotes from the woman. He grunted in frustration, shaking his head as he refused to accept any sacrifice of any sort.

He refused to submit to fate.

"The rescue party should be between here and the city, since they came in this direction. This much is logical, yes?" He posited to the stranger in order to get his confirmation.

"If that's the case, we will move immediately. Stranger, I find your understanding of these events to be suspicious, but in any case you are not a djed-mutated monster or desperate fiend and that much is enough for me. I understand that you are not part of our group, but on behalf of humanity and our collective conscience I beg for your assistance in this matter."

Jerking his thumb behind to bring the man's attention to the two survivors behind him, he continued, "We will bring them all the way back to the city. You will carry the unconscious man while I will support the injured woman. In the event of an attack I will instruct her to lean on you instead, and I will dispatch the threat. We will proceed as quickly as we can, passing by the rescue party."

His mind was stuck at an impasse, and he further considered their options. They were not that far from the city, and if the rescue party had travelled in a relatively straight line from the city to the grove where he had signalled for help, two miles from here should be much closer to the city.

"The city walls should be by then, within visible distance. I will try to throw out another signal for the city to send more defenders to help us. The able-bodied of the rescue party will help whoever's injured - if possible two carry one - and rush for the city."

His heart was beginning to beat with the insanity of this plan, but he knew that somehow - just somehow - there was the possibility that it could be done. He just needed that tiny hope that it was not impossible, and he would fight to the end to make that tiny spark of hope a reality.

His voice was troubled, yet in a way lighthearted for the plan was set in his mind. It was like the general course of his fate was sealed, and that all that mattered was the execution.

"And I will destroy anything and everything that attacks the party."
Last edited by Eridanus on June 30th, 2012, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eridanus

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Poison on June 30th, 2012, 10:53 am

„Yes, yes, of course.“ The stranger nodded enthusiastically as Eridanus guessed the rescue party’s location correctly. „They are between here and the city. Have you come up with a way to save all of them?“

Hearing that the Ethaefal found his behaviour suspicious, he shrugged his shoulders. „There is nothing I can do about that, I’m afraid. But I will gladly assist you, even if it isn’t normally part of what I do.“

He looked at the survivors. The woman looked back at him, still not entirely willing to trust him. He turned away from her and walked over to the man.

„It is a good plan, Eridanus“, he remarked as he examined the man to make sure that it was safe to move him. „Not easy by any means, but if the gods are with us, you may yet succeed.“

He bent down and tried to lift the unconscious man. It took him several tries, but finally he managed.

„Do you really think this will work?“ the woman asked. She tried to raise a little, and then she waited for Eridanus to walk over to her and help her up. Her leg still hurt a lot, but maybe she would manage with the Ethaefal’s help.

„What if this is a trap?“

The stranger shook his head.

„So much suspicion, my dear. If I had wanted you to fail your mission and die, all I would have had to die was to leave you alone. The creatures that still roam the area would have killed you.“

She nodded and turned to Eridanus.

„Let’s go. Maybe I’ll be able to walk if you help me.“
Poison
DS of Kalinor

Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

PreviousNext