Zeltiva Archives Building [Adventure Torc and Hadrian]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Hadrian on June 1st, 2010, 7:13 pm

"Torc, why don't you two choose a table and we'll get the first round of drinks," he said, decisive in his frustration. But he smiled, only a touch of grimace showing through. He didn't wait for Torc to answer, knowing the man would soon be dandling his dancer on his knee or lifting something heavy to impress her. It wasn't that Torc was stupid, but he certainly was a one-trick pony as far as relations with women went, at least insofar as Hadrian had seen. Of course, they hadn't been friends all that long, really.

When he and Vivienne were out of earshot, he said, "Sorry about Torc. He's much more social than I am, and I think he overcompensates for me when I'm around."

His smile was apologetic, too.

"But he is a good man," he added, quick to come to the defense of his friend and prove he wasn't a traitorous git. "And... anyway, what sort of dancing do you do? Did you know that certain ancient sects would use dancers to form moving glyphs to raise djed levels and form living barriers for great summonings and such...?"

It was, perhaps, a long shot, but he didn't know much about dancing except, as he said, what related to his own field. As they sidled up to the bar, he got the attention of the woman behind the bar, who nodded acknowledgement and would get to them once finished with her other clientèle.
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Torc Ironwood on June 4th, 2010, 1:52 pm

For some reason the shortness of Hadrian’s voice made Torc jaw muscles clench. A brief moment passed before Torc, was able to loosen them and speak, “Aye, fine idea Hadrian, I will see what me and this beautiful lady can find.” Torc thought about why he had become instantly angry at Hadrian.

Perhaps it was his curt attitude or just the order, maybe Hadrian had just never been around a woman before. Hadrian probably was overcompensating for Torc's show of strength. There was a way for both people to raise themselves in the woman’s eyes without cutting down each other.

Torc placed his hand on the small of Chashakja’s back, giving her a gentle reassuring touch. In every bar there were bound to be men that thought if a lady was unattended by a man, then they could sweep in for their own fun.

Granted Torc had done the same thing outside the Art building, but he had done it with style. “So my dear, if I get some drink in me I might be tempted to dance a country jig, may I count on you to help polish some of my steps?”

Torc found a table with four chairs and pulled back one chair for Chashakja. He was careful to slide it back close to her knees, but not enough to touch them. It was time for Torc act a little gentlemanly. Of course, as she sat Torc’s thoughts weren’t pure and innocent. Torc sat in the chair next to Chashakja, and carefully arranged himself to appear facing her. “So what are you studying?” Torc figured he might as well make Chashakja feel that his interest in her was on many levels.
Torc Ironwood
Player

Words: 242252
Joined roleplay: April 2nd, 2010, 1:58 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Lore Author (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Liminal on June 10th, 2010, 4:10 pm

Chashakja, for her part, seemed to be properly impressed. She blushed a bit as Torc recited the poem, but nodded in affirmation. "Tears of joy, those are a true sign of love."

She didn't seem to notice the tension between Torc and Hadrian, following Torc off to get drinks and a table without making any comment. As he touched her, he might be able to notice that she was leaning slightly into the touch, moving herself closer to him.

She giggled coyly at his question about dancing. "It's embarrassing, but I don't really know any country dances. I can do traditional Chaktawe dances, if you want to learn one of those that might be suitable for this kind of establishment. Or I can do an interpretive dance about a lost horse being eaten by wolves." She held the deadpan look for a moment, then burst into more giggles. "We did that my first term here. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry."

After her laughter subsided, she answered, "Well, dance, obviously, but also some martial arts training, and even a history class or two. What about you? What classes are you taking?"

Vivienne was shrugging to Hadrian. "Eh, I thought he just knew how to impress Chashakja. He's doing Lhex-judged fine job of it -- see how she's leaning on him? I might not even get her home at this rate."

The blonde tilted her head, some strands of wavy hair falling across her eyes. "I'd heard that, yes. We had Quartain, Stonemiller's assistant prof, come and lecture to the dance class once. I study classical and contemporary art-dance, but I'm also into history -- how I met Chashakja, by the way -- and I've taken some alchemy courses as well. A bit of everything, you know? Knowledge isn't even just power-- it's authority."

She twisted one strand of her hair around her finger. "And you? What's your intellectual poison?"
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Words: 256313
Joined roleplay: March 24th, 2009, 7:09 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Staff account
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Hadrian on June 10th, 2010, 6:36 pm

"Alchemy?"

Hadrian blinked at her. That had been a surprise, enough that the sudden flare of jealousy at Torc's imminent success was quenched as his mind turned toward more interesting vistas.

"Well, I... I've mostly focused on enchantment here at the university. Magecrafting, technically, but until and unless I actually start crafting things as well as their djed signatures, I think of myself more as an enchanter. But a little bit of everything as far as magic goes, and as much anthropology as I could manage. I'd like to travel far and wide and go as native as possible and learn more... Perhaps someday I'll need you to lead a circle of glyph dancers."

He grinned and gathered up his drink, Torc's, and Chashakja's.

"Shall we?"
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Torc Ironwood on June 11th, 2010, 7:03 pm

Torc’s face showed surprise as Chashakja said she didn’t know any country jigs, and as she mentioned the interpretive dance, Torc had no idea what that meant, he raise a singular eye brow wondering if she was joking. As Chashakja burst into girlish giggling, Torc laughed with his deep voice, smiling at Chashakja.

“Well I am starting on several magic classes next semester, for now I am just a teacher’s aid to help with magecrafting and the labs. It keeps me in a few miza’s, while I build up my knowledge of the craft. Eventually I would like to build my own mageforge.” Torc looked a little embarrassed telling Chashakja his dream. “I mean just making low level items for everyday uses, could give me enough money to live comfortably, and if every now and again I made a finely crafted item, I won’t have to worry too much about money. Of course, there is more to life than money, I want family and a sense of community, but for now I am happy to be talking to you.” Torc paused to make sure his last comment made Chashakja smile.

“I must say your choices of classes intrigue me, History and Martial Arts? I have done some brawling and wrestling back home, but nothing so coordinated. Of course may the Gods and Goddes forbid that we should ever come to a fist fight, if I had to defend myself; well I would be force to pull you into my arms and perhaps try to find a way to distract you.” Torc placed his finger on his lips to draw her attention to them. He wanted to make Chashakja know that his distraction would be more pleasant then rough, and it was in all impish jest.

As Hadrian sat down, Torc took Chashakja’s drink and his own to help lighten the load. Placing the drinks before both of them, “Hadrian, did you know that Chashakja is also a student of history. Who would have thought we would be sharing a drink with such intelligent and beautiful women tonight? Of course, she did admit that she doesn’t know a country jig! Well as soon as they start playing some music I have it in my head to teach her!” Torc looked at Chashakja and said, “That’s if you are interested in learning?”

Torc reviewed the few jigs he knew and decided on a couple that would keep her close to him, but also show off those long legs and allow his hands on her hips more than once.
Torc Ironwood
Player

Character sheet

Postby Liminal on June 20th, 2010, 5:19 pm

Chashakja did indeed smile on cue. And then, when he mentioned taking her into his arms, she laughed again, and then slid her chair over so that she was leaning on his arm. Her skin was warm, and her face slightly flushed with excitement.

"Just as long as I know what the glyph is supposed to do," Vivienne said to Hadrian as the pair stood up. "You've got to keep an eye on mages, after all."

Sadly, there was nothing available this particular night to drink save the omnipresent kelp beer, and so it was four mugs of said beverage that Hadrian returned to the table. Fortunately, both Chashakja and Vivienne seemed to be used to the stuff, as they took their mugs without comment and began drinking.

Chashakja started to answer Torc's last question about dancing, but before she could do so, a young man at the font called out over the noise, "Attention and welcome to the Captain's Berth this evening! We've a special treat for you this evening! Making her first appearance at our humble establishment, please welcome Teresa Wright Allwave, lutenist and singer, and this evening's entertainment!"

A young woman on a slightly elevated piece of flooring stood up and waved shyly. She couldn't have been more than eighteen, with long, blonde hair, a pale complexion, and finely-shaped eyebrows. A man sat behind her and to one side, holding a small drum in one hand and a beater in the other. As soon as she sat down, she took a deep breath, and then brushed the strings with her fingers. The man with the drum began a steady pulse, and the melody sang out from the lute in an uptempo whirl -- it appeared to be an instrumental piece. If Torc wanted to do any jigging, this was a good opportunity.
Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Hadrian on June 20th, 2010, 7:01 pm

"You do indeed," he said, agreeing with Vivienne. To Torc, he replied, "Well, I learned that Vivienne and Chashakja met in a history class, and that Vivienne has also been lectured to by Quartain about alchemy... The surely teach the strangest things to dancers," he noted with a smirky sort of a grin. He was not yet comfortable, but he felt like he had a little more in common with the girl than he had originally thought.

His head turned at the announcement, wondering just how this musician was related to the infamous Kenabelle Wright, wondering if she could get him into the forbidden archives, but it was just a passing fancy. Then again, it might occur to Torc too. Hadrian drank down some of his kelp beer and silently prayed that he wouldn't be called to dance. It would be completely embarrassing and he would lose whatever points he might have earned with the lovely ladies. Then again, that seemed to be how his life went.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Torc Ironwood on June 21st, 2010, 5:00 pm

As Torc felt Chashakja against his arm, heat began to radiate throughout his body. His thoughts turned to her shapely legs and smooth skin, of how her voice must sound as she gasped in joy, and of what her tan skin must look like without clothes. As he did so he felt the awkward stirrings of his nether regions and quickly pulled his mind off the image before too much happened. It wasn’t till he focused his attention away from the feeling of skin that he realized Hadrian had been talking.

Torc nodded towards Hadrian and while he picked up his green, slightly greasily, beer. This was not the first time Torc had ever tasted the concoction known as Kelp Beer, it had the taste of salt from the sea while also having the taste of blanched vegetable water. The smell was that of bitter and potent alcohol, for after all most sailors didn’t care for taste but drank to get drunk. As Torc raise his glass to drink, he held his breath, it had been the only way for Torc to swallow the stuff without the greasily texture and burning bite hitting his sense full force. The first swallow went down and Torc felt the thick Gods and Goddesses awful brew settle in his stomach. Still Torc put his mug back down and making sure that Chashakja had truly drunk some of hers as well.

Torc didn’t really care for the drink, but much like his earlier thought about sailors, he did want Chashakja to have some impaired judgment. Though Torc loved to dance a jig or two, it was more for a two prong attack against her honor. Dancing would allow Torc to hold her in several places mainly about the hips and stomach that initiated inmate contact. Also, she would slowly begin to sweat, with the water leaving her body and being replaced by the Kelp Beer, Torc was quite sure she would lower her inhibitions.

As the announcement of a singer and lutenist was called out, Torc slid a smile to Chashakja waiting for her own smile or nod to get up and dance. In the back of his mind the singers name echoed. Wright? The name on the library? Torc decided that it wouldn’t make much difference anyway. Nether Hadrian or himself would be able to talk with the girl till after she was done singing, and for now there was a soft creature on his arm that desired to be squeezed, twirled and touched to the best of his ability.

<OOC: next part assumes Chashakja does wish to dance, if not I will edit his out.>

Torc led Chashakja by the hand out to the dance floor. Much like the rest of the Captains Berth, the floor was well cleaned, however the boards appeared to be polished from the hundreds of dancers that had been on it. As the stood on the edge of the area Torc talked to her while the singer and beater prepared. “Well, let’s start off with a five step jig. It’s a little more complicated than some of the four step partner dances, but I don’t quite want to share you with anyone else.” Torc smiled.

Torc took her out to the dance floor and kept to the out edge. He grabbed her hands and began to speak, “This is the starting position and we will end up here at the end. All moves are about half your normal steps, it helps move the hips and keeps everyone out of each other’s way.” Torc winked at Chashakja, however thoughts of her bare hips couldn’t help coming to mind. “Now based on the beat we will move like the following.” Torc began to move his feet slowly so that Chashakja could see how much space would be required for the movement. “Now depending on which hand I dip we move in that direction, if you feel me push or pull with the hands move forward or back. Hopefully as the music continues we can improvise and do some twirls or back to front dancing.” Torc especially hoped to do the back to front. He thought about his hand on her belly, the side of his hip touching the curve of her buttocks, as they glided forward. “And the very last thing, remember to have fun, I won’t bite…. I might nibble later on this evening.” Torc smiled with an impish grin.

Torc pulled her out further onto the dance floor and as soon as the first singing began he started to dance with her. Moving her this way and that, pushing her forward and pulling her back, he tried to keep the movement lively and fun. Improvising when he felt she had the basics and when her guard was down enough to enjoy the freedom of form it often gave.
Torc Ironwood
Player

Character sheet

Postby Liminal on June 24th, 2010, 2:06 pm

Chashakja was indeed drinking, though there was still a good half-mug left of the stuff when she stood to dance with Torc.

Given her training as a dancer, it hardly took her any time to pick up the dance. Indeed, she was soon able to do a bit of improvising on her own part as well. She winked at Torc, returning his grin. "Maybe you don't bite, but I do," she said salaciously. Frankly, it didn't seem at this point as if her honor was going to need much in the way of assaulting. She leaned in closer, and Torc would be able to feel her hot breath on his neck.

Vivienne, perhaps surprisingly, didn't make any move to join her friend on the dance floor. Rather, when Chashakja wasn't looking, she put her head down and shook it. "Looks like I'll be studying for that exam by myself," she grumbled. "Nikali only knows when she'll be back -- probably not for another couple days at this rate." She sighed, as if this were not entirely a novel occurrence.

Then, she turned back to Hadrian, wearing a sort of smirky grin of her own. "Actually, Quartain lectured us about dancing and glyphing, as I said before -- alchemy was a different class. But I don't think I'll have to correct myself to your friend, as I think the last thing he actually heard you say was 'I'll get the drinks.'" She raised one eyebrow, and then took another gulp of her beverage.

The lute song ended, and then Teresa began a new song. This one was slower, and she added her voice to the mix. It was clear, with almost no vibrato, and her inflections betrayed the fact that she had spent large quantities of time training her voice and learning to control it, such was the precision with which she used it.

The sailor left to make her run
Way down Abura way.
Her true love was a scholar, so
at port he had to stay.

And the wind blows down the mountains, and the waves blow back from shore.

She stopped off at the docks to trade
Her trinkets and supplies,
And there she spied a Drykas man
With passion in his eyes.

He spoke to her in dulcet tones
Her heart was stole away
And they dashed off over Cyphrus' grass
There to forever stay.

And her lover in the Quarter waits
And he stares down at the shore
And across the bay, for to see the sails
That will bring her back once more.

Liminal
Atelerix albiventris

Postby Hadrian on June 24th, 2010, 6:07 pm

"My apologies," he said. "I'll get it right next time, though you're probably right about Torc." He watched the jigging couple, and then listened to the music. Teresa's mastery made him feel a twinge. The little wooden flute he had bought on a whim to help him understand music theory, well, he was never going to be that good with it. Perhaps he should just mount it on the wall as a decoration or something.

"What class are you studying for?" he asked finally. Most of his socializing stemmed from helping other people with their studies. Even if it wasn't in his focus, he could read up on a subject and do a creditable job of explaining it to others. Dance, though -- he was definitely not an expert at that.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

PreviousNext