First Day On The Job (solo)

Casper acts as a bodyguard to one of Zeke's associates.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Casper on April 1st, 2012, 5:09 pm

Timestamp: 20th Spring, 512 AV

After being given directions on how to find the boy he was to bodyguard, Casper walked out of the fence and walked down the street with a sudden, unexpected excitement. He palmed his newly purchased dagger, acquainting himself with its weight a little. It was a simple thing, just a leather grip and blade, perhaps a little dull. No matter, he would sharpen it tonight. He liked the way the metal glinted in the sunlight. He tucked it into his belt and quickened his pace.

By the time he reached the Castle Commons, the streets had gotten crowded enough for him to start worrying about how long it would take to find the boy he was supposed to protect. Was there any higher ground he could get to? Not really. Zeke had specified one of the stalls that Meercha would likely be found at, so when Casper found that particular landmark, he focused on the people standing around near or around it.

To his relief, the boy was easier to find than he thought he would be. He fit the description perfectly: A small, scrawny adolescent whose slouching figure and mismatched clothing gave off an air of complete incompetence. Even the expression on his face was vapid. At first, he had been staring at a stall serving food as though wondering whether to eat there or not, then he walked past it and headed toward another food stall. Before he could enter, Casper grabbed the boy on the shoulder. The boy swiveled around awkwardly in surprise.

"Hey! who're you?" he demanded in an annoyingly loud voice.
"You Meercha?"
"That's me."
"Zeke ssayss you got ssomethin' of value. I'm here to get you to the Fence without any trouble."
"Oh. Well, that's awfully kind of him. Do you mind waiting while I grab a bite to--"
"Not a petchin' chance," he replied quickly, infuriated that the kid could even suggest something so ludicrous. Meercha got the message, and started in the direction of the Fence. Casper walked behind him.

They walked in silence for a good while, but much to Casper's distaste, Meercha somehow felt an obligation to establish conversation.
"I bet Zeke will be very pleased to see what I brought him today. Much better than the usual. would you like to see--" Casper cut him off just as he started rummaging through his worn out bag.
"Put that shyke away, kid. I don't care what it iss, and you're going to attract attention."
"Ah, of course, you're right. How silly of me! Say, you've got a bit of a Syliran accent, that where you're from?" Casper would have answered with a very graphic description of what he would do to him if he didn't shutup, but he had a feeling it would give the brat a reason to talk even more. He ignored him, and after a few more attempts at socialization, Meercha finally gave up.
Casper
Player

Words: 65175
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2012, 7:22 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Casper on April 3rd, 2012, 9:32 pm

The crowd around Castle Commons thinned as they left the area. Eventually, the streets were empty save for a few knots of passerby's here and there, each attending to their own business as usual. Casper kept a close eye on people who brushed by a little too close, being as attentive as he could. He didn't want to muck up his first job.

Two men trailing behind them, seemingly involved in their own affairs, were decidedly not so when they turned the same way as Casper did for about the fourth time. Casper became certain that they were being followed when he looked over his shoulder quickly and caught one of the men staring, though he quickly looked away when his eyes met Casper's. They were possibly waiting for the streets to be slightly less empty, so they could be sure no one intruded when they jumped the pair.

"Turn here," He said in a hushed voice, pushing Meercha towards one of the side alleys.
"But this isn't the way--"
"Shut up." He stopped abruptly when they turned the corner and pressed himself against the wall, silently ordering Meercha to do the same. The boy obeyed, though he wasn't sure if he understood what was happening.

The footsteps of the suspicious men were heard quickening; he could even hear some of things they were saying as they approached.
"They shouldn't have turned there, they musta known we were followin' 'em."
"Shyke! I told ya we shouldn't 'ave waited."
"Just Hurry up before we lose 'em--"
He was abruptly cut off when he turned the corner and saw Casper there, waiting for him. He would have made a shocked expression if he had time before his fist met his face, dead center. Casper heard a satisfying crunch as the man flew backwards and almost crashed into his partner. The other one, significantly more burly than the one Casper had just metaphorically hurled out of the arena, responded by pulling out a rather large knife and swinging it at Casper. He threw himself to the side to avoid the weapon, and reciprocated by pulling out his own.

The man attacked again, and this time, Casper tried to parry, a little late to realize that his weapon was significantly smaller than his opponent's. The larger knife slid until it was blocked by the hilt. Seizing his opportunity, Casper grabbed the mans forearm with his free hand, pulled it forward and swiftly lifted his foot into the man's groin. He doubled over, his knife still locked with Casper's. He tried to use his free arm to protect his stomach from Casper's next kick, failing miserably. His grip loosened on the dagger and Casper let go of his forearm, letting him drop to the ground. He felt a thrill go through his body as he mercilessly buried his foot into the man's stomach again. Completely absorbed in the sensation of pleasure from beating the man, Casper did not have time to react to the danger coming from the second assailant. He hardly heard Meercha squeal a warning when he was tackled from the side and hurled to the ground.

He lost his breath when he connected abruptly with the ground, his dagger flying out of his hand and out of reach. The man he had punched in the face earlier had evidently recovered. He hadn't pinned Casper down properly, who was already trying to get back up. Before he could turn to counter, he felt his skin tear on his cheekbone when a fist connected with his face. He fell back again, this time catching himself with his hands so he could jump back up to his feet. His opponent was coming at him again wildly, thankfully without a knife, and Casper dodged just in time. The man's fist instead connected with a wall, and he howled in pain. Casper hurled his fist at his face again, full force, and the man's head hit the wall from the recoil. He fell to the ground, either unconscious or heavily discombobulated.

Panting heavily, Casper looked back at the second man, who was still groaning in pain from his previous beating. Meercha seemed to have picked up Casper's dagger when it fell earlier, and handed it to him with trembling hands. "Let's get the petch out of here," Casper said after a moment, and pushed Meercha forward. The jogged for a little while until they felt far away enough. The Adrenaline that was coursing through Casper's veins was coming down, and he felt exhilarated. He let out a booming laugh, and said loudly, "Godss, that felt great. That wass really great." He laughed again cheerfully. Meercha laughed with him, rather nervously.

Casper was still grinning by the time they came into the Fence. Zeke, sitting at the counter as always, stood up when they entered.
"Meercha! I see you arrived safely. I take it you did run into trouble, judgin' by your state." He looked pointedly at Casper. The pain had indeed seeped into his system after the walk, after the numbness wore off. His cheekbone stung and his side ached from the fall. His knuckles were completely bloodied. He inspected his hand, noticing even a cut mark from when he had parried that blow. He had not felt it at the time, but now the mark burned into his skin. He looked back up to Zeke.
"I'll be fine. I jusst hope that whatever this kid'ss sellin' is worth it."
Zeke chuckled heartily and turned back to Meercha. They started speaking about business, but Casper zoned out almost immediately, not interested in their talk. Instead, he was thinking about how he could use a good mug of ale right about now.
Casper
Player

Words: 65175
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2012, 7:22 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Ink on April 22nd, 2012, 9:47 pm

And in the Aftermath . . .

The Rewards are Revealed.

Casper :
Skills:
Intimidation 1
Observation 1
Unarmed 2
Dagger 1
Brawling 1

Lore:
Navigating Castle Commons
Parrying a Longer Knife

Written in the ink :
If there are any concerns or problems with my grading please feel free to toss me a PM. I am more than happy to explain my reasons or reevaluate them if you feel I've been unfair.

Ink
DS in Sahova

Words: 259510
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2011, 6:15 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)