[The Stone Garden] A Time of Peace (open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Eris on April 12th, 2010, 10:10 pm

“There is indeed some unnecessary risk in traveling by the road, but I suppose, I just can’t pass up the opportunity of riding on horseback,” Eris said, brushing a stray strand from her face.

For a few moments there was silence as Eris took a long look at the man. “I’ve been wondering…” Eris began slowly, unsure of whether she should even broach the subject. “You seem terribly polite, even when drunk, and you have the air of nobility around you. You also mentioned a tutor – not many simply folk have tutors.” Eris paused for a while, trying to untangle her thoughts to form some sort of coherent conclusion.

“I guess it just sounds strange that someone of nobility would be wandering the country doing odd jobs, when you seem to be better suited to be a knight,” she continued. “Unless of course you are a knight and this is all some kind of baffling quest knights tend to go on,” Eris added, raising her eyebrow in question.
Eris
...in solemn silence on a dull, dark dock...

Words: 171398
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2010, 1:55 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Weyliss on April 12th, 2010, 10:47 pm

Weyliss stopped, canting his head in thought. He looked about himself. He could see the bottle at his feet, the sword across his lap. The tree around him. The hundreds of small stones throughout the garden. The beautiful woman sitting across from him, and the sky above. He could hear a great many things. The 'swish' as the wind lightly dragged the leaves about. His own breathing. The sound of several birds off their right, even the faintest of a din. The sounds of people going about their business far away. One hand reached under the cloak, and into some unseen pouch and pulled out a worn, briar pipe. Bringing it up to his mouth, he started to chew on the mouth piece. He didn't bother to fill or light it, instead simply tasting the smooth wood itself. Withdrawing the end just enough to speak, he looked the woman in her eyes.

"Thank you for the compliment ma'am. I do not have an ounce of high blood within me. My father was an ex-knight. A friend of his trained boys like myself so that we would one day become knights. Now, Sir Marrius was a stern man. More military then anything else. His hope was that we would be trained as pages, and then when a knight felt it appropriate, would select one of us to become his squire. I mae'self was never chosen. As time went on, only a few of us where left, and I decided to make my own way in the world. To become a ... Sylirian knight. Its a very 'ard process. It requires support from friends and family. It requires a great deal of knowledge, tact, and combat ability. It is far from a simple process, and you must dedicate yourself in your entire'ty to it."

He looked away for a second.

"After leaving Sir Marrius, I found myself at odds with a young knight, and decided not to join up. I did not have the backing, or the full training without a knight choosing me as one of his squires. I could have qualified to become a page, but during my own travels, I encountered several ...."

He paused, trying to find the right word.

"Atrocities. I even inadvertently caused one. Since then, it is more a personal duty, then a goal. The common fellow out there?"

He motioned vaguely to the north, obviously meaning beyond the walls.

"He lives in a small village of like-minded people. People just looking for their next meal, to raise a family. People tending to crops and fields. He doesn't know how to stop an arterial spray. Nor how to cure his sick daughter. He may have a vague idea on how to wield a sword, but does he have the courage to stand up to a band of miscreants. What if he does? Can he simply call the militia? What about the monsters out there? What about that old crippled farmer who sees winter approaching, but can't hunt for himself? Survival of the fittest? Everyone claims that until they are on the ground with nobody to help them. You see I made it my goal, to be an aegis. Something that stands between the common man, and the hardships of this world."

Leaning back, Weyliss looked up at the branches above him. It was all very noble. Very idealistic. Yet hardly practical for a man who should have been focused on falling in love, or creating an art. Culturally what he was doing was pointless. People would always need help. He couldn't save them all. Some didn't even deserve to be saved... maybe he was looking for redemption? Honestly, until he had spoken, he had never thought about it much. It was instinct. Maybe when he offered to help someone carry the firewood, it was in inbred reaction, much like how a boy irritates a girl he likes to get her attention. He doesn't know why he does it. He just does.

"When did this become all about me?"

He laughed looking her in the eyes again.

"What about you? Shouldn't you be off wooing the boys, creating gossip about girlfriends, and generally making life difficult for loved ones?"
Weyliss
Aegis

Words: 73298
Joined roleplay: March 2nd, 2010, 5:15 pm
Character sheet

Postby Eris on April 13th, 2010, 9:53 pm

Eris listened intently to his story, never taking her eyes off him as he spoke. The man seemed to be full of impossible ideals, but there was something about him… His talk of helping people seemed absurd and unrealistic, but the way he spoke about the common folk and the hardships they have to face – it was passionate an full of a genuine compassion for human life that Eris had not witnessed for a long time.

“Your goal is noble, if a tad idealistic. But I admire your motivation. In my opinion, a man who strives to do good without the shield of a knight is just as good – if not better – than one who carries it.” Eris was not trying to pay him a compliment, but simply stating a fact that seemed obvious to her.

"What about you? Shouldn't you be off wooing the boys, creating gossip about girlfriends, and generally making life difficult for loved ones?"

“No loved ones to speak of,” Eris said shortly. Then, realizing how bleak that sounded, she elaborated, “My mother died nine years ago and my father is either dead or loose in the world somewhere. When Mother died, I was left on my own for a few months before a man came along claiming to be a colleague of my father’s. Joel took me with him as an apprentice – taught me most of what I now. I never met my father, but Joel enjoyed telling stories about the man’s escapades. He always maintained that Locke was dead, but one day I found a letter from him in Joel’s bag. It was addressed a few years after the date on which Joel claimed Locke was killed. Two years ago, I realized that I had nothing more to learn from Joel, so is set out on my own. When I find the time, I ask around villages and town to see if Locke had passed through any of them. A few weeks ago, I was told that he might have been through Syliras at one point, so here I am.”

Eris briefly wondered why she was disclosing her entire life story to this man. But what did it matter? The shroud of secrecy in which she had so carefully wrapped her life was becoming too burdensome to wear.

Eris inhaled a breath of fresh air as a cool breeze hit her face.

“As for boys-” the corners of her mouth quirked upwards “- I find most of them terribly dull. Besides, I have little room for romance in my life. What about you, do you have a lady waiting for you somewhere?” Eris wasn’t usually one to pry into other people’s lives, but right now, she felt like throwing old habits to the wind.
Eris

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Weyliss on April 13th, 2010, 10:31 pm

Weyliss thought about her final question for a moment. Absently chewing on the end of the pipe, he spoke softly.

"No. A relationship is hard to maintain when you don't even have a house. Everyone is very romantic, right up until the point where it doesn't suit them. In my experience anyway. That being said, knights arn't supposed to deal with 'casual' relationships. So I've never dabbled in that. I suppose its always an option."

The man's face brightened up as he realized something. He could help! Not... physically. Or.. sexually, or well.. in any way whatsoever, but he had heard a few things.

"Well 'aey..."

He smiled at Eris, leaning back and feeling a tad pleased with himself.

"See. Idealism is just an affliction that people brand on folks with drive. When those two knights first went to the Windoak, and it told them to build a CITY, nobody stopped to ask if that was 'idealistic' or 'impossible' They just did it. Take you for instance, your father is probably LONG gone, and the fact that he left in the first place doesn't bode well. But. BUT. You are still searching, following thin clues and other bits and bob's of that nature. So, here's another. I've heard of a technique involving magecraft. Involving your blood, and finding the nearest blood relatives. Since you said you don't really have any..."

He let the idea trail off as he leaned back. Sometimes, its best to bask in one's own glory, lest your self-esteem get too small. A real danger that.

"...although... its quite expensive. So yeah, if you ever get rich, and all other roads are closed, you could always try that."
Weyliss
Aegis

Character sheet

Postby Eris on April 14th, 2010, 1:48 am

Eris was quite amused by the beginning of Weyliss’s little speech, thinking that it was just going to be another insight into his philosophical views. But when he got to the part involving mage craft, she leaned forward. “I’ve never heard of that technique before. Then again, I’ve always leaned toward distrusting magic, so I’m not one to know much about it,” Eris said, lapsing into silence for a few seconds as she mulled over the new information.

“Money is a little tight right now,” she admitted slowly. “But I’m sure that in some months’ time I could gather enough. Truly, I’ve never considered turning to magic for this. Do you know for certain that this mage craft business actually works?”

Thoughts were restlessly flying around in Eris’s mind. If this were actually possible and if she could earn enough money to afford this procedure…For a long time, her quest for Locke was just a fanciful idea -something she pursued for the heck of it, without really believing in locating her father. But now, Eris relished the possibility of actually catching up to the man (assuming he was still alive, of course) and asking him some questions. And if he refused to answer them… Well, then she would greatly enjoy having his throat at the point of her dagger.
Eris

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Weyliss on April 14th, 2010, 3:12 am

"Of course, it... it..well, its-"

She reached over, letting her fingers slide down his chest. He could make out her nude form in the candle light. She was beautiful. Golden hair, vibrant and exotic skin, yet it was the eyes that constantly held his attention. Her eyes gave her away, even when her body would not. Leaning in, he kissed at her neck, letting his tongue periodically touch her skin, to taste her. Giggling she wrapped her arms around him, letting the young man do what he pleased. Turning over, he pulled her close trying-

Weyliss stopped mid-sentence. Memory warped his view, he was no longer staring at this stranger, but instead his one-time lover. His face ran a veritable gamut of emotions. From a soft, serene look, to a tightened almost defensive look. His hands worked, independent of their owner, tapping the hilt of the sword in unison.

"I knew a lady once. She was an academic student from the University of Zeltiva. She was studying the arts of reimancy, and other things associated with wizardry and the use of djed."

He stared in awe, watching the strange mist rise from her hands. It was wispy, and he found himself thinking of it as steam. She laughed when he voiced his thoughts, calling him a stupid farmboy. Djed was everything, everything was djed. He didn't understand.

Memory continued to cloud his vision, and he could still see her, wearing that white cloak, and holding a dusty tome. He blinked rapidly, trying to will her away.

"One-One of those arts, it was...ae' known as magecraft, the art of.. combining various types of ..magic to everyday items, turning them into magical artifacts. She mentioned that it was a refined art. Something that is extremely dangerous, and most magecrafters would be few and far between. A smithy of the magical world if you get my meaning-"

In horror, he realized he was re-living those moments together, it wasn't that he didn't long for the memory, it was the ending...

He clasped his eyes shut, fists clenching into fists.

It was her necklace. He had first discovered it the night of their first 'discovery' she wouldn't take it off, saying it was a gift. Something that allowed her to more easily transfer her djed to someone else. He hadn't understood, she had simply laughed.

Still speaking he opened his eyes, and looked away, obviously marred by memory. His face took on a steel gaze. The muscles taught, the eyes gathering about them an intense look. Crows feet emerged under the pale blue orbs touching a darkening expression.

"Anyway, finding talented ones is rare, but if you can, they have the 'ah ability to infuse an item, with all sorts of magic. The blood finder, involved the recipients blood, and would actively find anyone related to you. Said even the most basic procedure would cost well over one thousand gold miza's."

He held a bitter memory of finally returning home, to the family that had sent him to be a knight. A family that didn't want him to meet his own newly born sibling. Why had that child been so important, why wasn't he allowed to see it? Why had they moved without telling him? He had asked her, hoping that his lover could do it, but she had said that it took time, and a variety of resources that she didn't have, but that maybe someone at the university knew. Then.. her..

It was the smell. It caused him to gag and convulse as he pulled open the door to her cellar. It was beyond rank. He couldn't place it. Taking each step slowly, he entered the darkness, feeling around with his arms. There was no light, nothing but the cellar door.

He abruptly stood up, trying in vain to stop the memory. He could see it clearly now, the realm of death, the mutilated bodies, the creature feasting upon them. His shock. His horror. His rage. Her dagger, sinking into his back. Her screaming about how he had killed her son. Her ...son.

For a long moment, the young warrior was in a different place, a different time. He could no longer trust himself, not without his liquid shield.

"Miss Eris, I do pray, and I do hope, that you find the peace you are looking for."

He gave her a bright smile, just managing to stop the blinking, and the memories.

"I consider it an honor to help someone such as you, and if the circumstances had been different, would have offered my hand in friendship. Unfortunatly, the dead will not let me rest. I need.. to leave this place. If you would like, we could go somewhere else... but.. I don't know much more. The young lady couldn't help me in the end, and I moved on. She swore that it worked. Maybe you could find answers at one of the universities."

He could feel the blade piercing his back, could hear his screams mixing with the dying creatures shrieking.

"And I believe you would like to be alone, to find that measure of peace we all look for."

With a waning smile, and the another small bow, the man turned to leave.
Weyliss
Aegis

Character sheet

Postby Eris on April 14th, 2010, 9:27 pm

The array of emotions playing out on Weyliss’s face was almost frightening to watch. Nevertheless, Eris did watch – aware that there must be much more going on in his mind than what he was saying. When the man came to the end of his narrative, he looked noticeably older, with lines of worry creasing his face that were not there before. She had only half heard what he had said about the magic, paying more attention to the pained look in his eyes and his clenched fists. However, she did hear that the procedure cost around one thousand gold mizas. There was no way she could gather that much money any time soon. The hope of finding Locke had receded into the back of her mind – once again becoming a fantasy rather than a realistic goal.

She wanted to ask him what was wrong, but there were some things in life that were just too personal and painful to speak about.

“Thank you for the information and for the company,” she said, inclining her head slightly. “If you ever need anything while I am in Syliras, I am sure you can easily find me.”

She paused for a moment, thinking of peace and how hard it was to truly find it. But then, the most important peace to be found was peace of mind.

On impulse, she added, “And if you ever wish to speak of the ‘atrocities’ you mentioned earlier… Well...Perhaps I wound understand.” A ghost of a smile flickered across her lips. She did not believe that the man would ever take her up on the offer, but she knew from experience that sometimes it was enough knowing that someone was willing to listen – even if that someone be a stranger.

Another inclination of the head in a final farewell and she was back to looking at her sketchbook, pencil already in hand.
Eris

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Weyliss on April 14th, 2010, 10:02 pm

The man turned back, giving her a nod of his head as well.

“And if you ever wish to speak of the ‘atrocities’ you mentioned earlier… Well...Perhaps I wound understand.”

He thought about that. In the end, he found that he prefered action over talk. One could talk about changing the world, but until they took that first step, it was nothing but talk. The same applied to this, he didn't see how talking could soothe his soul, or even why she would suggest listening to his troubles at all. His mind fell back to Sir Marrius, and his identifying assassins as 'instruments'. Maybe she was something more. More then the sum of her job. Maybe he was too.

He gave her a bright grin as he turned away.

"Its a date."

Now to find some more alcohol...

END
Weyliss
Aegis

Character sheet

Postby Dusk on April 20th, 2010, 4:54 am

XP Award!

Eris

XP Award
Drawing: 2 XP
Rhetoric: 1 XP
Interrogation: 1 XP
Philosophy: 2 XP
Storytelling: 2 XP

Lore Award
Crossing Wits with a Drunk
Making Friends
Painful Memories

Weyliss

XP Award
Philosophy: 3 XP
Rhetoric: 1 XP
Interrogation: 2 XP
Storytelling: 3 XP

Lore Award
Moral Dilemmas
Reliving Memories
Making Friends

Additional Note
A great exchange between these two - I hope to see more of it!

As a note, unsure if it was clear that the Stone Garden is within the city... technically, everything except the Bronze Woods is within the walls of the city. :) It seemed like you got it, but just wanted to make sure. Great scene, and congrats to your characters on having deep conversations with strangers!

PLEASE NOTE: Finals are over, but summer is eating my soul. As such, as of the end of June I will not be accepting any new quests/modded threads until I finish some of the ones I've already started/agreed to. My apologies for this, but I don't want to be unfair to those who have been waiting for replies!

Dusk's Office - Information on Syliras - Help Desk
Dusk
DS: Syliras and Wildlands

Words: 341560
Joined roleplay: April 6th, 2010, 5:33 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Contributor (1) Trailblazer (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1) Thunderspork (1)

Previous