[Sukina Geysers] In Search of Wonder (Weyliss + Sam)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Stretching northward along the coastline of the Suvan Sea, the Cobalt Mountains are the home of the Bronze Wood, numerous ruins, and creatures both strange and fantastical.

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 12th, 2010, 6:21 am

51st Spring, 510 A.V.

Again weary of the city, Sam decided to venture through the Bronze Woods to find the geysers of legend he had heard about from a troubadour holding forth on a street corner. It didn't take much to set Sam off when he wanted to move, and Horse never minded exploring either, or at least he hadn't complained too much for the past two years.

His saddlebags were starting to fill up with things he had found to eat, too, which he would bring back to show Jaeden, Lillis, and Ha'na. Some to share, certainly.

Horse started getting excitable, ears following strange movements, head raised to smell the air, and Sam assumed they were getting close to the monster's sleeping place.

"Well, don't worry, Horse. It's been asleep since forever. It probably doesn't eat horses anyway."
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Weyliss on April 12th, 2010, 7:23 am

A short hooded figure made his way down the crooked path. It only slowed down to re-adjust the sword sheath laying across his back. His brown cloak was the only thing discernable among the sea of green. The grass at his feet, the branches with newborn leaves. The trees flanking him, covered in moss, and in a few cases, vine.

The figure paused, taking a brief respite underneath a particularly large oak. Leaning back, the man reached deep within the folds of his cloak and pulled forth a small pipe and a match. The fingers worked quickly setting a small pinch of tobacco in the bowl, and then quickly flicking a match aflame with a quick scrape against the tree. Sucking on the small end of the pipe, he held the match gingerly above the leaf, and inhaled the smoke as it came. Closing his eyes, he leaned his head back, revealing shocks of black hair, and a goatee and thin beard. Exhaling, the young man studied the area through half-closed eyes.

The bend in the trail was the only noticable feature about the small clearing. For all intensive purposes, he was still, in fact, in a forest. The bend in the trail was his guide, a landmark to the fact that he was approaching the geysers. Normally he wouldn't have made the trip, but he had business there, and time was of the essence.

With this thought the man started again in haste.

Still puffing on the pipe, it took the better part of an hour to reach the edge of where the forest gave way to a rather large area containing the famed riddler's resting place.

Choosing each step clearly, the young man cast aside his hood as soon as he came in view of the sight. If he gave notice to anything in the area he gave no indication. Instead he cast his eyes to the ground, and squatted, using one hand he steadied himself, while the other kept the sheath out of the sand. He dug with one hand for a second, before looking about him in frustration.

Then he stopped. Almost swearing he heard a horse-

There

The noise forgotten, he quickly moved back into the wooded area a bit, focusing on the ground, and starting to dig into an area where the grass met the sand.
Weyliss
Aegis

Words: 73298
Joined roleplay: March 2nd, 2010, 5:15 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 12th, 2010, 7:38 am

Sam clicked his tongue at Horse as they approached the man, and only Horse realized he was there. He patted the windrunner's neck, but also unbuckled his scabbard so he could draw his scimitar quickly if necessary. Just because the riddle-monster was sleeping didn't mean lesser monsters might not lurk as well. That would be just his luck, too.

Horse stopped near where the mystery man had stepped off the road, and glanced in his general direction. Sam tried to follow Horse's gaze, or his nose, or his ears, but didn't see anything yet. Still, he trusted his equine companion's senses, if not always his sense.

"What is it, Horse? Bandits? Glassbeaks?"
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Weyliss on April 12th, 2010, 4:17 pm

Frustration.

It SHOULD have been here.

Maybe it was, maybe he just wasn't looking in the right place.

Rubbing at his temple the warrior took another puff from the pipe. Rising to his feet, he decided to make his way back, perhaps head out to the geysers themselves? It seemed strange, but maybe he could find it out there. Brushing the dirt off his fingers he suddenly heard it. Falling into a crouch, the man listened. Somebody was standing where he had left the trail, and seemed to be voicing a worry about bandits. Exhaling the smooke, the young man pulled the sheath over his head, and then down in front of him. One hand on the hilt, the other on the sheath, the young man started to walk. He really didn't have any good reason to be going towards this person. Yet if they wern't a bandit, then maybe they knew where to find the fabled Irilchapei' plant. As the horse came into view, so did a young man atop said animal.

Still walking, Weyliss drew another puff from the pipe, exhaling the smoke quickly. He could tell the kid was young. Maybe a few years younger then himself? Tall however, and he could definatly use a few extra meals.

Breaking the silence, the warrior pulled the pipe from his mouth.

"Hail friend! No bandits here. What brings you to the riddler's resting place?"
Weyliss
Aegis

Character sheet

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 12th, 2010, 5:07 pm

Sam saw the man break from cover just before he spoke, and smelled the aromatic smoke from his pipe just a bit before that. Horse, somewhat mollified but still alert, waited for Sam to make a decision as to what to do. He was smart enough to recognize that a hand on the shiny sharp things was generally bad news, but since the man wasn't running at Horse and waving it, everything might still be all right.

"Ho, stranger," he called back. "We just came to see the geysers. Hm, no bandits, huh? What does that make you?"

There was a trace of humor there, and the hint of a generous smile, but better safe than sorry was his motto ever since he had fled captivity in Sunberth and for the past two years it had kept him out of too much trouble.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Weyliss on April 12th, 2010, 5:47 pm

Weyliss stopped and blinked. A very good question. He took another step, and the slung the longsword back over his shoulder into its usual place between his shoulder blades. Scratching at his goatee the young man seemed to be pontificating. Or he was just enjoying the taste of his pipe. It was rather hard to tell. Seeming to have reached a decision, he gave the horse rider a nod and a shrug.

"Errand-boy. Heard there was an herb hereabouts."

He really should be on his way back. Yet something told him to have patience. He couldn't just go barging about the woods in hopes of finding this plant. He needed time. Which is precisely the thing he didn't have. Another puff of the pipe and he approached the horse-rider. He noted the sword, but couldn't make out any other weapons.

"Pretty sword you got. Donnae' have the reach of your typical longsword, which is why many don't favor it. Now, exotic lad such as yourself, one wonders... So I assume yae' ain't a glassbeak in disguise?"

The small man carried an accent, and it came out as he spoke more. Seemingly placated by the pipe he made no hostile movements, but looked to be moving to get around the horse and its rider.

"Nae' if you don't mind. I'm on a limit. Errands don't run themselves, and I'm thinking my goal is near the geysers themselves. Free to come along if you like."

He paused in consideration.

"Unless you are a glassbeak."
Weyliss
Aegis

Character sheet

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 12th, 2010, 6:25 pm

"Not a glassbeak, no," he said sliding deftly off Horse and taking his scimitar with him, though he belted it to himself rather than leaving it attached to Horse's saddle. He took up a pace with the man, his vague smile meandering toward a frown. Was he exotic? He rubbed the leather cuff around his wrist that hid his old windmark. His hair was cropped rather short, and definitely not braided. His clothes weren't of Drykas make.

Glancing at Horse, he wondered if it was just his skill with horses that gave him away. The scimitar was the closest thing to the weapon he had learned as a child, which he could use from horseback or in close quarters, the curve of the blade allowing him a more fluid style of fighting. He had noticed this when practicing with Jaeden.

"What's this herb?" he asked curiously, thinking if they found enough of it, perhaps he could harvest a bit himself to sell or trade. "Oh, I'm Sam. Hullo."
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Weyliss on April 12th, 2010, 6:43 pm

The man sighed.

"Irilchapei' I've never heard of it. Apparently it only grows near old places of great power. Something to do with the riddler's resting place. I don't know. The head villager requested I hunt it down when I couldn't get his son up and walking. Ungra'eful ilk."

Weyliss tried not to think about it. The kid had been done for. Blood everywhere. By pure luck he had been in another nearby settlement and was called over. He'd stopped the bleeding, but the kid couldn't move his legs. His father being the elder, and a mage, he had decided to look into magical options. If he couldn't find this herb, gods knew what the old man would try...

The warrior rubbed his temples again.

"So yeah, don't hold your hopes up. I'm just checking out this crazy tale in hopes that I can find an alternative."

Taking another puff the warrior tried to lighten up. He was being rather dreary. Exhaling the smoke, he continued to walk, but turned and did a small bow from the waist.

"Nice to meet you Sam, call me Weyliss. You know much about herbs?"
Weyliss
Aegis

Character sheet

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on April 12th, 2010, 7:11 pm

"Weyliss," he repeated, then shrugged. "I harvest the ones I know to sell and trade, but I'm not, you know, an herbalist by any means. Irilchapei'... I haven't heard of that one either. But, I suppose, since we're headed for the geysers, that's the likeliest place to find it. I mean, will you recognize it when you see it?"

He walked along, Horse following without needing to be led. Sam began to relax in the man's presence. Being so much taller helped, though he had been taught not to underestimate potential opponents.

"And if it's magic, don't you have to cut it with a silver night under a full moon or something?"

It was only half a joke.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Weyliss on April 12th, 2010, 7:58 pm

The man shot Samael a glance as he mentioned magic. He didn't say anything however, instead opting to take another puff from the pipe. Arching his neck, he tilted his head back and blew the smoke upwards and away from the travelers. He spoke slowly as he readjusted the strap of the sheath.

"White flower friend, apparently only thae' root posseses a healing property, with the tips of the root being red, or white. Vague, I know. Luckily not much grows out here besides Whittlewart and Karines. Flower wise that is."

Turning around the bend, he could see the trees clearing up ahead, they where close to exiting the forest, and entering the area containing the geysers. He'd never been himself, but he'd heard stories. Supposedly it was also a romantic spot. Although what young couple would brave the dangers of the wilds to get there...

"By the by friend, what do you do anywhow? You some sort of exploring, fighting, trader?"

Finally, the last tree gave way, and the two found themselves facing quite a sight.

Pausing, the man offered Sam his pipe.

"Clear the ole' head as well as the eyes?"
Weyliss
Aegis

Character sheet

Next