Hunting the Guardian [Miharu]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Gromhir on April 13th, 2010, 5:36 am

19th Day of Spring, 510 AV

It had been just a normal day hunting when he’d found the strange tracks. Well, they weren’t so strange to him at least, they were quite familiar. Canine tracks had littered the ground ahead of him, that much he was certain. But they had started out as human footprints. Kelvics seemed to be fairly common but the se tracks were fresh, maybe even a few hours old if that. The idea of meeting another Kelvic was too good to pass up. He was supposed to have returned to Syliras by now. He hoped Kamalia wasn’t worrying too much. Would she send out a search party? That would be rather embarrassing.

The Ivaski sighed inwardly, his massive form barely hidden by the greenery of the woods around him. There were so many fresh scents in the air as the forest burst to life around him. All the greens of different colours, the vibrant flashes of new flowers in bloom. There were so many scents hanging on the wind and around the trees. But it was good, it was new life, the world reborn and he revelled in his new playground.

Yet despite the springtime, hunting today had been scarce. It was just one of those days where he never caught anything. Maybe he could catch and kill the Kelvic. No, Wolves would make for a bad meal. It would have to be some kind of herd animal if he was to supply both the Welcome Home and his tanning friend at the Leather Shop.

But this Kelvic appeared to be as elusive as the prey today. He wouldn’t where it would be and why it was travelling so. It may have been far from Nya’s territory but it seemed to move with some kind of purpose and was heading in the same direction. Worst of all he was in the wind so if it caught his scent then chances are he would never catch it anyway. He was curious though, maybe another bell spent following these tracks and he could travel home before it got too dark.
The world can make you think that everything matters. But all that really matters is that the sun rises and you enjoy what you're given.
Gromhir
Resident Big Softy

Words: 90232
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2009, 6:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Donor (1)

Postby Miharu Mindi on April 13th, 2010, 3:49 pm

Even as he made the decision to keep tracking this strange Kelvic, a savage growl burst from the bushes and a blur of silver slammed into his rump, sharp teeth piercing his muscle - but though it likely hurt, and left his blood on her tongue, it was little more than a warning blow. She could have hamstrung him with that blow, and that would have been obvious to a hunter of his skill.

Miharu had realized she was being tracked about a bell earlier when the wind brought his scent to her. She'd done what she could to lose him, but he was a much better tracker than her. None of the paltry tricks she knew would shake him, and so she simply kept moving upwind, though it led her far from her goal - but at least she could know that he was still behind her.

He was a better tracker, but she was a better hunter.

Hunting predators was different from hunting prey, took a completely new way of thinking. Bringing predators to bay required letting them think they were the hunter, keeping them following you, and (if they were intelligent) igniting their curiosity. Then, find a place to lay your trap.

And so she'd struck, tired of being followed, and more than a little angry that this huge white monster was invading the territory she'd been in for almost a week now. No matter that she was heading back to Syliras when she'd caught wind of him - instinct galled at her and left a low growl in the back of her throat. And what if he hunted Sturlin's camp? That had decided her, had helped her formulate the idea of her trap.

She sprung the trap, leaving a gouge in his right thigh as she lept past him and twisted around to face off against him, her hackles up and a growl pouring steadily from her blood-flecked muzzle. She was smaller than him by a long shot, the size of a normal wolf, perhaps three feet high in the shoulder. But there was no fear in her golden eyes as she stared him down, lips curled back and her sharp teeth exposed. She'd fought before, and would again.

Why do you hunt me? she yelped in Canine, ears flattening against her skull. If it's a fight you wish, you've found it here!

And I am dreaming of them with their kill
Tearing it all apart
Blood dripping from their lips
And teeth sinking into heart
Miharu Mindi
Player

Words: 165248
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2010, 7:08 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Gromhir on April 15th, 2010, 5:13 am

He’d caught her scent, strong and powerful mere moments before she leapt to spring her trap. But it was nowhere near long enough for him to avoid the attack completely. Gromhir gave a yelp of surprise rather than one of pain. The Ivaski was a born and bred guarded and had endured far worse than a nip to his rump. It wasn’t lost on him that she could have caused him far more damage but that fact was not about to faze him either.

The massive Ivaski turned as she spoke, taking in the appearance of the Kelvic before him. The Ivaski’s tail flicked side to side, as he stood tall over the Wolf. “Do not think I would be so easily intimidated,” Gromhir returned in their native language. Should he fight her? Test her mettle? What would Kamalia think if he fought this creature? She had attacked him; he had every right to attack her, to retaliate. But what was that really the right thing to do?

She wanted a fight. His keen sixth sense had picked that up. He could feel the anger in her. He began to circle her, each paw placed firmly on the ground. “I was not looking for a fight. I would not get one from the likes of you anyway,” Gromhir spoke flatly. That was, of course, not the truth she had already proven that. “Do not mistake tracking for hunting, small one. One who can travel in boots of a human is one of great interest to me.”

“Tell me, how is it that you can move between forms as you do?”
The world can make you think that everything matters. But all that really matters is that the sun rises and you enjoy what you're given.
Gromhir
Resident Big Softy

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Miharu Mindi on April 15th, 2010, 5:48 am

She growled low at his insulting claim that she wasn't a worthy opponent, ears flattening just a fraction lower.

"The difference between tracking and hunting is whether or not you catch your quarry," she barked back at him. "And I've already proven my cunning to be greater than yours."

His question, though, had golden eyes narrowing. "What kind of question is that, coming from one who smells of perfumes and humans?" she snorted. "You sleep at the foot of a woman's bed, and you ask me how I change forms? You should know that already, or you're a poor bondmate indeed," she said, lip curling a little. Well, he'd insulted her first.

Tearing it all apart
Miharu Mindi
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Gromhir on April 18th, 2010, 6:50 pm

“Yet for all your cunning you could not put me down,” Gromhir retorted. The larger opponent still circling, yet Miharu would notice something in the way he moved. Each step, each paw was placed carefully to avoid crushing any of the new blooming flowers.

“Whelps like you normally have a pack to make up for your short comings,” The Ivaski did not back down but neither did he strike out with tooth and claw. “Or have you been pushed out alone. I’d even go so far as to say you don’t have a bondmate do you?” It wasn’t obvious but there was a slight undertone of loneliness in the Wolf along with the strong sense of wanting to find a stronger opponent.

“As for my Lady, she is more powerful and dangerous than the pair of us combined,” there was an odd mixture of pain and pride as he spoke of Kamalia. Such was the nature of the path that his Lady had chosen. But he would walk it with her as he had always done. The Ivaski seemed neither intimidated, insulted or impressed by the runt of a creature that stood before him. What was actually going through his mind however was slightly different.
Gromhir
Resident Big Softy

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Miharu Mindi on April 18th, 2010, 7:01 pm

"Did not," she growled back, baring her teeth. "Not could not. If I'd wanted to, I'dve had your balls in my teeth and well you know it," she said fiercely.

His rib about not having a bondmate sliced straight through to her heart, and her growl went savage and vicious as her hackles rose. "You know nothing about me!" she roared back at him, the anger in her barked words not quite able to cover up the flash of desperate sorrow that lanced through golden eyes - but no matter what her gaze revealed, she would not back down from the monsterous creature looming over her. "What do you want? What purpose this useless taunting? Attack or leave me be!" she howled, hating the uncertainty of it. She was not used to fighting intelligent creatures - wild beasts always attack, or ran. There was none of this nerve-wracking questioning of how it would end.

Tearing it all apart
Miharu Mindi
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Gromhir on April 19th, 2010, 10:20 am

The fierce response to his jests was slightly unexpected and for a brief moment Gromhir thought that she might attack him. But that was not the case. She refused to back down yet neither would she outright attack him. She simply squirmed underneath his gaze and questioning.

“A sore subject is it?” He chuntered, almost to himself. The Ivaski did not need to see the pain in her eyes. He could feel it. Maybe he could help? It was what Kamalia would do, surely. “I would wager I know more about you than you do me. Why is it that the mentioning of a bondmate causes you so much pain?”

“Did someone push you away? Were you abused? Were you left for dead by those you cared for?” The harsh undertones that were behind Gromhir’s barks had vanished, yet he still circled. He never backed down either. He held his ground, probing her, testing her. There was a reason she was looking for a fight, a reason she had not fled. He wanted to know it.
Gromhir
Resident Big Softy

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Miharu Mindi on April 19th, 2010, 4:38 pm

Golden eyes stared at him, and the light in her eyes was slowly approaching someone like hatred at all his questions. They were sharp and personal, questions no one had any right to ask. They circled in her head, swirling and battering her heart until she could barely stand for how dizzy they made her.

Her head dropped a moment, and she shook herself as if to rid herself of all his noisome questions. Once she had, and she looked at him again, her eyes narrowed.

He would not attack her.

The thought skimmed across her brain as she watched, remembered the tone of his last questions instead of the words. He was curious, so he stayed his hand. But he was as much a wolf as she was, and would not show his belly to some stranger. It wasn't that she was looking for a fight - it was that she was too stubborn and proud to submit without one.

She gave a final snort of derision, and then her body dissolved into thousands of swirling points of light that spun and reformed itself into the shape of a human girl. She was tall for a human, and as well muscled in this form as she had been as a wolf. Honey-colored curls spilled down to her elbows, covering some of the milk-pale skin but leaving most exposed - which didn't really bother her at all.

It was her delicate face that changed the most, though. The eyes stayed the same, but they brimmed with tears, and soft features twisted in pain and sorrow.

"You're cruel," she whispered. "If you wanted to see me hurt, you should have just savaged me."

Tears did fall then, and she swiped them away angrily as she turned to gather her pack from where she'd hidden it in the hollow of a tree, pulling her toga on quickly and pointedly ignoring him now.

Tearing it all apart
Miharu Mindi
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Gromhir on April 19th, 2010, 5:07 pm

The Ivaski let her collect her things before suddenly leaping back out in front of her, barking fiercely. “How long has it been?” the canine snapped out Miharu. “How long have you been wallowing in your own pity?”

Gromhir knew that she had lost a bondmate but this was wrong. She was wrong. If he lost Kamalia, he would mourn but he would not waste his life away. Many a time had he been crushed, pushed aside and downtrodden but he was still here, still living free of the anger and pain. Mostly.

“It is our duty, as Kelvics, to provide for our masters, friends, lovers. Each one has an effect on us as we do them. Some have many, others only one. But we serve each one, even in our deaths, or Nature-forbid their deaths,” he was angry. But was it because he did not want this for himself and Kamalia or because this wolf was not following everything Nature had told her?

His tail flicked as he blocked her path. The anger released from him as he looked at the broken creature before him. All he felt was her pain and sorry. “Tell me about them. Your bondmate. I want to help. I can even tell you of mine.”
Gromhir
Resident Big Softy

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Miharu Mindi on April 19th, 2010, 5:24 pm

"Don't lecture me on my duties!" she screamed in Common, voice high and fierce as her bark had been. "You think I don't know my nature? You think my blood doesn't sing with the need to find my Master?" Golden eyes flashed as her words ended on a sob, but she refused to wipe at her face again.

"I have no bondmate," she moaned. "Thrice have I tried, and thrice have I been tossed away, rejected and unwanted. I am broken," she said, her voice dying away as her throat constricted. "I cannot make them love me," she whispered.

And then it was too much, looking at him. He was cruel, and condescending, could not even control his form, and even he had found his bondmate. That thought nearly broke what was left of her heart, and she bent to shove her boots on and throw her pack over her shoulder.

"I have no master, no friends or lovers. I do not want to hear about how fulfilled you life is, how wonderful and beautiful your bondmate. I am a Kelvic alone - what help can you give?" she hissed, turning back to stare at him. "Why are you even bothering? I'm just a whelp, am I not?" she said, throwing his words back in his face.

Tearing it all apart
Miharu Mindi
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook