Choking Hazards

[Solo][Job Thread]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built high in the massive branches of Taldera's bloodwood forest, The Spires is a city crafted by the peaceful and scholarly Jamoura. Considered a haven for scholars and sages Mizahar-wide, The Spires is a mecca of philosophy and science that draws people from far and wide with its promise of deeper thinking and higher reasoning.

Choking Hazards

Postby Lixue on April 24th, 2012, 12:44 am

Spring 61st, 512 AV

On the fifty-third of Spring, Lixue was called to help victims of an attack. Three sane Jamoura were going to the city of Spires to capture feral citizens. Talsh, a feral, had attacked the group. Two were left behind as Shol, a large male Jamoura, fled the scene to retrieve a doctor. As Jorg had been busy, Lixue went in his place. Extreme injuries were sustained by one male, Rolsh. His throat had been bitten, his chest slashed and arm gashed. Though she tried, Lixue could not save him. The other injured individual was Dansh. He suffered a shallow, yet extensive, blow to the temple. It rendered him unable to see. A stick had been shoved through the palm of his hand brutally. Upon being transported back to the Injury Ward, Lixue left him with Jorg, who successfully completed the removal of the twig. Rolsh had been buried at the Scarlet Saplings. She made sure to tell Lorng how Rolsh had fought so heroically. Today, she was to be checking up on the healing patient. Nurses had complained of him acting unruly, not to be confused with hostile.

The day was not a busy one. No attacks had occurred so far, but it was only midday. The cough that had been spreading through the Injury Ward was being controlled and monitored. Jorg was not lucid today and spent much of the time mumbling about Marn. He warned anyone who came near him that Marn was vicious and would kill on spot. Tips were also given on how to catch him, but seemed to be the first thought on his addled mind. No one paid him attention beside the assistants assigned to watch over Jorg and keep him out of trouble. The man was slowly being trapped inside of his mind.

Besides the usual routine visits, Lixue planned to take the rest of the day off after visiting Dansh. Ly was to be arriving and after lunch, the two were going to spend quality time together. Since arriving in the Spires over twenty days ago, neither had truly seen each other for more than five chimes unless Lixue was extremely tired and did not remember. The pair slept side by side at night. Besides being married, the beds were more than big enough.

"Hi Dansh!" Lixue greeted cheerfully, smile gracing her lips. She was standing directly in front of his cot. The dark colored Jamoura was propped up, leaning against the hard wall. A bandage was wrapped around his head. Thick fingers were playing with his blanket, picking it apart piece by piece. The hand the stick had been shoved through was bandaged. Dansh was looking around, trying to locate where her voice was coming from. "Doctor Lixue. I'm straight ahead." Reaching out, she tapped one of his toes. Dansh jerked, startled, before nodding. The point was made; within touching distance and telling the truth. "I hear you're sassing the assistants." The tone was teasing and light. A dark and serious attitude might send the already depressed Jamoura spiraling downward.

"I know it is you, Doctor Lixue." A pause before reluctantly the Jamoura explained, "You have a certain smell. Almost like honey. You walk funny, also. Instead of solid thuds, you are barely noticeable and you limp. Your cane is near silent, but if you listen really closely you can hear it. The assistants also stop gossiping when you show up." A bad attempt at a joke, but Lixue laughed anyways. This was better than a week ago, when the Jamoura refused to speak to anyone. "And yes I'm sassing them. They keep trying to get me to see. I'm blind, dammit!" he growled, hands fisted in the blanket. "Would not you be snappy if everyone tried to get you to do something you cannot? My food is impossible to eat. I refuse to lower myself to soup and a spoon! What else am I supposed to be, jumping around and squirting happiness?" Lixue resisted the urge to sigh. Going through the stages of acceptance were a difficult task for even the most emotionally strong of individuals.

"Keep your head up, Dansh. They are just trying to help. Any increase is a wonderful thing and should be recorded. The assistants just want to know what is going on in your head." A pause. Would Ly mind if Lixue brought Dansh along? They had not spent very much time together since arriving and it would be nice to have quality time. On the other hand, Dansh needed her help. The patient would have to be taught how to have food arranged on a plate, along with how to make his way through obstacle courses without his vision. Yes, she would invite him to eat lunch with Ly and herself. "Hey Dansh. My husband and I are going to the Mess Hall as soon as he arrives, any time now, would you like to join us? Fresh air may do you good." For a moment, the Jamoura seemed to be contemplating it.

"No, Doctor Lixue. I will stay here. Perhaps at a later date?" Lixue agreed before making her way around the edge of the cot. Dansh froze before his bandaged hand reached out, slowly, hesitantly, and touched her arm. "Trying to scare me doctor?" he asked gruffly, harrumphing and pouting. Lixue rolled her eyes, laughing lightly.

"Yes, Dansh. I want to give you a heartattack so I can rescue you," she responded easily. "I am going to check how your head is healing." Reaching out, her fingers un-tucked the wrapping before circling it around his head multiple times. The bandage was stuck to the wound. Thankfully, an assistant had brought water earlier. Dipping her fingers into it, she gently sprinkled liquid onto the injury. Slowly did the wrapping was pulled away. Relief filled Lixue when she saw the lesion. It was not an odd yellow shade, did not look gushy, and the swelling had gone down. No signs of infection either given that it was not a red shade. Cracked scabs covered it. "It looks wonderful!" Soft fingers pressed down into the abrasion. There was no give. "The size has gone from the size of your fist, Dansh, to nearly the size of your thumb. Isn't that wonderful?"

"Yeah, now knock me again so I can see!" he mumbled, exhaling loudly. Rewrapping the injury was easier. Fresh bandages were used. Holding one point, Lixue circled his large head several times before tucking the end of the wrapping underneath a layer.

"You need sleep. I know Jorg was around to check on your hand earlier, so I will leave that be." Glancing up, she spotted Ly waiting by the door. "I have to go. Are you sure you do not want to come with us?" Like a young child, Dansh shook his head. "Alright. I will see you tomorrow. Be well." Leaning forward, she placed a motherly smooch on the location of his injury. For a moment, she thought he leaned into it, as a child would, but maybe it was only her imagination?
"This is Common"
"This is Vani"

I am interested in learning new languages. If you are interested in teaching your language, please contact me. Thank you.
Lixue
The Amputator

Words: 329233
Joined roleplay: January 9th, 2012, 3:30 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Choking Hazards

Postby Lixue on April 24th, 2012, 12:50 am

Ly was a full Vantha. Standing tall at five feet nine, compared to the tiny Lixue, he often called her "little one". Cinnamon would be a perfect word to describe his skin tone. Messy black hair has purple highlights, as all Vantha hair does. Lixue's were blue. Strangely, his eyes were stuck in a mixture of purple and pink. Lixue and him were the same age and had been friends since they were in nappies. On Spring 7th, Cheva marked both. They had vowed to never leave each other, but neither had planned for the marriage. The marks on their necks are two pairs of interweaving lines. Each one had two lines. One for friendship and one for love, because their paths crossed and the feelings intermingled.

"Hey you," Lixue cooed, slipping her hand into his. Though they were married, Lixue had only gone as far as quick pecks on the cheek or lips. It felt strange to kiss a guy who was your best friend and who she had seen grow up. "Ready to go? I just finished with the last patient of the day. I'm all yours." She leaned into his side, green eyes blinking innocently up at him.

"I could ask you the same thing. Been standing here for half a day!" His arm encircled her shoulders, his right and her left hand intertwined. Lixue playfully dropped her cane on his foot, giggling as he dramatically winced. "I have come to ask you on a date, Lixue. Only seems right considering we are married and all." A pause. "So, little one, shall you have me?" Innocently, he blinked at her. Lixue rolled her eyes, elbowing him. "Wha? I try to be all romantic and you reject me? My heart is wounded!" Then he seemed to remember where he was, "No offense or anything…"

Laughing, she tugged him out of the Injury Ward. Truthfully, he resisted very little and let himself be lead along. "I will go a date with you as long as you feed me. My stomach is crying out for food. I have yet to eat today." As if on cue, her stomach growled. "Look at that, a doctor that cannot even take care of herself! Will you be my doctor, Ly?" Lixue questioned, voice soft. Almost shyly did she look up from beneath her bangs.

"Of course! You are my wife," he sounded very pleased with this fact, "and it is my duty to care for you." Gently, he squeezed her shoulder. "How is work?" As they walked, Lixue breathed in the fresh air. As she was cooped up in the Injury Ward so often, she relished being able to smell something other than blood. The flowers, at least the ones who had fought through the cold, filled the air with their aroma. A light breeze was blowing and it danced across the nape of Lixue's neck. She tucked her cheek into his warm side.

Thinking, Lixue opened her mouth to talk but fell silent. They were at the Mess Hall. Food was served here, though the individuals had to get it themselves. The building was humongous and almost constantly filled. Nearly sixty individuals could fit inside. Lixue and Ly collected their food. Ly chose fish and Lixue a mixture of nuts. She was not quite as hungry as she believed, and the other foods did not look so appetizing. Besides, she could always steal some from Ly! He had offered to take care of her. As they found two open seats, Lixue set her cane next to her, out of the way.

"Work is… hectic. I enjoy healing, but I am always in demand. It is a nice feeling to go from one patient to the next and be able to help, but I would like sleep." Unconsciously, a smile blossomed on her face. "I am making many new friends, as well as testing my skills. For example, I have this patient, his name is Dansh." Lixue felt comfortable telling Ly of her patients. He was not going to go and tell everyone. "He was attacked by a feral Jamoura and took a severe blow to the temple. It rendered him blind. I have to develop ways for him to survive and thrive in simple tasks such eating from a plate." She plucked a nut out of the bowl and plopped it into her mouth. Thoughtfully, she chewed.

Looking at her dish, Lixue had an idea. "Ly! Close your eyes. Picture a circle cut into four. When I say the upper right corner, do you understand?" Though confused, he did as she asked. Slowly, he nodded. "Wonderful! You can open them now. I had an idea for Dansh. What if his plates were cut into four, or more, pieces and organized by certain food each time? The meat could always be in the upper left corner and the vegetable in the lower right." Excitedly, she clenched his arm and shook him. Ly's eyes popped open as he laughed, a deep husky sound. Lixue was eager to return to the Injury Ward and put the proposal to the test. It could end Dansh's misery with eating! "Or he could have a tray and the d-" cutting off mid-sentence, her eyes narrowed at someone across the room.

The person was human. White hair lay on her head and her skin was nearly the same color. Except her face. No, the woman's face was turning a beet red. A hand fluttered around her throat, trying to catch attention. Was the woman choking? Lixue was not certain until the lady tried to cough and dry-heave. Discarding her bowl off to the side, Lixue ignored her cane and hurried across the room. As she did, she tried to remember how to dislodge something from one's throat. The arms went around the back? No.. That did not sound right. Around the front; the stomach itself! Then you squeezed hard and hoped it worked. Lixue frowned. Would it work with her height? The woman seemed tall, even standing. What else would work? Ly had choked once, what had she done? The squeezing? No… She barely reached his ribs. Aha! Lixue hit him upon the back!

Approaching the table, Lixue did not give the woman any warning before using the base of her palm to thump the lady in between the shoulder blades, hard. The sound echoed and several people turned to stare. The first hit did not work, but the woman was bounced forward. Placing a restricting hand upon her shoulder, Lixue hit her again in the same spot. This time, the nut was dislodged and shot out of the lady's throat. It smacked against a Jamoura's chest.

Breathing hard and face still red, she turned to stare at Lixue. "Erm.. I am sorry?" Lixue offered quietly. "I could not exactly use the regular method, given my height."

"T-thank you," the blond woman rasped.

"Can you open your mouth for me. I want to see if there is any bleeding." Nodding, the woman did so with a hint of hesitation. Leaning closer, Lixue tipped her face upward and peered in. No, no blood. "Alright. That was a pretty big nut, you may be sore for the next few days. Next time, chew." Without waiting for the woman to respond, Lixue walked back to Ly, who seemed flabbergasted. "What?"

"Even when you're not at the Injury Ward, you still are a doctor…" Shrugging, Lixue sat back down, leaned into his side and stole a piece of his fish.

When work called. You answered.
"This is Common"
"This is Vani"

I am interested in learning new languages. If you are interested in teaching your language, please contact me. Thank you.
Lixue
The Amputator

Words: 329233
Joined roleplay: January 9th, 2012, 3:30 pm
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Choking Hazards

Postby Creeper on April 24th, 2012, 6:18 pm

Skills
Rhetoric: 2
Medicine: 2

Lores
I Smell Like Honey?
Medicine: Four Square Method of Eating for the Blind
Medicine: Striking Between the Shoulder Blades to Clear the Airway

Other
Other Rewards

A nice simple thread, well done. I like when Ly is involved.
Creeper
My Bark is Worse Than My Bite

Words: 261058
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Location: DS of The Spires, Northern Wastes, and Overseeing Avanthal
Race: Staff account
Office
Plotnotes