Stepping Up to Kneel (Cascade)

Elem approaches the administration about sanctioning a chapel to Rak'keli on the campus.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Elem Bree on April 24th, 2012, 5:55 am

66th Day of Spring, AV 512

Elem thanked the clerk and moved onward to the door he was pointed toward. He hesitated for a moment, taking a deep breath. He was initially surprised at the clerk's mention of Mistress Farah's enthusiasm. He was sure it would be a harder fight. Sure, Laviku was father to Rak'keli, but why wasn't there already a shrine or temple to Rak'keli, were it so simple? He knew that he had little knowledge of the priestly life and what effect it would have on his schooling and work. He even suspected he might have to work a second job to pay for whatever it took.

He was ready, though. He was intimately touched by Rak'keli and the event had changed his life completely. The least he could do was toil a bit for a greater purpose. Her purpose. He straightened himself up and knocked on the door, waiting to be received.
Elem Bree
Always learning. Always changing.

Words: 229116
Joined roleplay: November 30th, 2011, 6:06 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Cascade on April 24th, 2012, 2:04 pm

Mistress Farah looked up from her desk when she heard the knock on her door. "Come on in," she called out. She took a glance at the man who entered. It was a stocky young man who seemed to have made an effort to be presentable. But... what for?

The Mistress was a woman in her thirties, and as the clerk had said, was one of the members of the board. Even if she did not mind being bothered by students, she held a strong presence that required straight answers. She looked him up and down with stern eyes, trying to figure out what a boy like him would want.

"Yes? What is your name... and how may I help you?" she asked simply as she gestured for him to take a seat. Her office was small but organized. Everything on her desk and shelves were arranged in a way that said she put attention to every single detail.
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Words: 182001
Joined roleplay: April 1st, 2012, 3:07 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Elem Bree on April 25th, 2012, 12:48 pm

Keeping his most pleasant face on, Elem followed Mistress Farah into her office. His eyes drank in the scenery, papers piled, so much ink. elem found it very pleasant, its general order in comparison to Elem's cluttered cottage. Waiting for her to sit, he took a seat himself. Crossing his leg over his other knee, Elem took a breath and spoke.

"Hello, Mistress Farah. I am Elem Bree, a lifelong citizen of Zeltiva. I am son to Yelem and Andra Bree, my father a cobbler for many decades. I am a first year medical student at the University, working as an assistant under Mistress Claira. I was present for the unfortunate events of the Winter ball and I was the man touched by Rak'keli." He took a moment to show the back of his hand, its golden coils oscillating around a winged serpent. Smiling, he looked directly into her eyes as he put his best thoughts forward.

" I was completely transformed by the presence of Rak'keli and I have been using Her gifts to me in my work at the Infirmary, which, as you know, was quite overrun for several weeks after the storm. I know you are busy, so I will get to the point. I would like to investigate the process I need to follow in order to present a plan to build a chapel to Rak'keli on the University Grounds. What do I need to do first?" He smiled and swallowed, as excited as he was nervous.
Elem Bree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Cascade on April 25th, 2012, 5:05 pm

"Yelem and Andra Bree, did you say?" she nodded, as if the names were familiar to her, but the action was more out of respect. Up until this point, she was not really giving him much attention. However, when he spoke about being the person was touched by Rak'keli, the woman's face shot up instantly. This was the boy she had heard about! Now that he mentioned it, his name was now familiar to her.

Mistress Farah continued to listen to his words. She nodded her head to indicate this as she peered at him closely. He wanted to build a chapel for Rak'keli. The woman understood his sentiment, and rather appreciated it. However, while it was a nice idea, it seemed unrealistic at the moment.

"Well, Mister Elem Bree... you should know that while the city is going back to its former glory before the storm, we did get pretty hard in terms of a lot of things, and that includes finances. The university itself spent a lot in damages alone. May I know how you propose to pay for such a project?" she asked him. If she had heard him correctly, he was a cobbler's son, and a student. She found it unlikely that he would have the money himself. "So, what you need to do first is tell me how such an idea would be plausible."
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Elem Bree on April 26th, 2012, 2:36 am

Elem was initially pleased at the look of familiarity Farah had when mentioning his parents. He knew his father would get a kick out of being recognized. He smiled slightly, his enthusiasm growing once the connection was made of who he was, as well. Enthusiasm was flowing through the young man as it seemed his dream had the potential of coming true. Still reading the woman's face, her sudden puzzled look had him worried, though.

"Well, Mister Elem Bree... you should know that while the city is going back to its former glory before the storm, we did get pretty hard in terms of a lot of things, and that includes finances. The university itself spent a lot in damages alone. May I know how you propose to pay for such a project?"

He nodded and jumped right in without faltering. He had an answer for this question. "Well, I can use a portion of my wages from the Infirmary, short of living expenses and tuition. I know that is only a start. I was thinking of setting up a small shrine first in the Infirmary with a collection box. Rak'keli's presence there is evident, so many would surely donate to the cause of making a space for Her children to worship in. I have received a few mizas here and there for using Her gifts among others outside of work. I will save those donations to aid in the building. I also thought that perhaps, at the next function which serves the University, I could say a few words and fundraise that way as well."

"So, what you need to do first is tell me how such an idea would be plausible."

He nodded again, adding, " I know the City and the Regents are very busy. I will claim the responsibility and oversee the fundraising for the Chapel personally. I will not allow it to interfere either with my studies or my work at the Infirmary. I guarantee you this is all legitimate, as misuse by the marked would surely turn against me in a sense greater than bureaucratic punishment."
Elem Bree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Cascade on April 26th, 2012, 3:54 pm

The woman smiled. He definitely came prepared, and was answering questions without any pauses. She still looked skeptical though, as if she couldn't see his idea as practical or plausible. He was planning to use a portion of his wages, but how far would that get him? He also had some fundraising ideas, but how far was he willing to go? He might be one of those people who gave up when they realized their goals were too far off.

"Where will this chapel be located in? I do suppose we have some free space on campus... how big will it be? And have you done research on how much it would cost? It's a good idea, and perhaps I will pitch it to the board, but you have to give me something more definite. Give me a projected budget, a location, a timeframe."

She nodded at his words.

"You have the goddess's mark, I can see it, and I believe in your words. You have to convince me of the practicality of it all. If you can do it all on your own, then I don't see why not... but land is not cheap, why should the university give up a portion for this chapel, when I we know nothing about who you really are?"

Mistress Farah was also a follower of Rak'keli, she believed in the hope that the goddess bestowed. She was simply testing this man. She wanted to know just how far he would go, and how much integrity he had.
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Elem Bree on May 3rd, 2012, 12:12 pm

Elem listened to the woman across from him, the practical side of the plan was coming to light. he had not specifically made any plans and was beginning to feel like he was out of his depth. He tried to remain confident and just roll with the conversation, using the ideas he had mulled over. "Well, I wasn't going to make anything too elaborate. Maybe a small chapel that could hold a small service. I wanted it to be close to the Infirmary for a few reasons. One, it seems logical for Rak'keli's influence to be so close to a place of healing. Two, that families and loved ones of patients could pray for the recovery of those they came to visit."

He listened to her questions and her explanation of a plan, scooting the chair out and standing. Stepping to the side of the chair, he wrapped up with a closing thought. "I admit that I did not have a particular plan, as far as the facts and figures. Perhaps if you do mention it to the Board, we could renovate some of the Wing's damaged rooms. If nothing else, I would be willing to use my cottage. Either way, I will research and develop a plan and return to you once I have something more concrete. I appreciate your time, Mistress Farah."
Elem Bree

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Cascade on May 4th, 2012, 6:04 pm

Mistress Farah continued nodding alongside his words.

"I will mention it to the board, and I do think they'd appreciate it. All I ask is you take care of all the funds and preparations. I know there is a place for a chapel near the Infirmary, which makes is fortunate."

The mistress smiled at him, her eyes bright with hopefulness. He seemed to have a splendid idea, and she wished that it was not going to be pushed aside in the long run.

"You're welcome. Go along now, and thank you for pitching such an idea."

Adventurer's Loot

Elem Bree's Loot :
Elem Bree

Skill XP Reward
Negotiation +2

Lore:
Mistress Farah: University Board Member

Items or Consequences:
Mistress Farah tells the board about Elem's idea, and it is well-received. It earns him +2 Status Points.
Short thread, but I know all you wanted was to pitch your idea to the board, so that goal was achieved. :) Good luck on building the chapel. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to PM me!
Cascade
The Demi-Goddess

Office
Scrapbook